• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Has Anyone Made Spicy Shrimp Ceviche Cups?

In summary, the tortilla shells did not stay down in the muffin wells, and someone suggested making sure the tortillas are warm when putting them in the pan. JAE also recommends using thin tortillas. Someone else suggested using pie crust, phylo dough, or lumpia wrappers instead of tortillas. The recipe takes a lot of time to make, but is very tasty.
J.Corley
I wanted to make a varation of this recipe at a show. Has anyone made it before? How do the tortillia shels work for you in the Mini MP? Any tips? I am doing a version with taco meat.
This recipe is in the S/S SB.
Thanks in Advance!

I made them, and they were time consuming. Also, the tortillas did not stay down in the muffin wells. Someone said to make sure the tortillas are warm when putting them in the pan. I haven't tried them again. They were quite tasty, but I probably won't make them again. I watched the DVD of spring products where they made these. It had some good tips. If you have that DVD, take the time to watch that part.

If you can find THIN tortillas, they'll work better. Someone at my last meeting mentioned going to a market in an area with a high concentration of Hispanics - you'll have a larger selection of tortillas.

I agree with JAE they are very time consuming, but I think they are very good! I am actually demoing this at my show this Sunday. I am going to make the cups up the night before at home.

You can also use the little wonton pastry sheets in place of the tortillas...they may not be such a pain to work with since they are soft.

make sure tortilla are freshif the tortillas are dry then they have a tendincy to rip when pushing in the cups. One remedy is to wrap in a damp papertowel and micowave for about 5-10 sec then only take one out at a time and rewrap the rest

Thanks for the input. I am actually just filling them with taco meat, topping with shredded lettuce and a tomato I slice on the U.Mad. and cheese,and letting the guest use the EAD to put sour cream on theirs. So it sounds like the trick to making them work is having them moist and warm huh? Any tips on how it was cutting them? I think I might do the cups ahead too. At least I can still demo the U. Mad, cutlery, and I am doing the micro cake prior too so their is stoneware. Only thing left is cookware and my nod to next month's Host special will take care of that one!

When I made them for a show, I cooked all the tortilla cups ahead of time. Those little suckers are tricky.

instead of tortillas could you use pie crust, phylo dough or lumpia wrappers??? I was wanting to make them but I don't want to do the tortillas.

JaimeQ said:
instead of tortillas could you use pie crust, phylo dough or lumpia wrappers??? I was wanting to make them but I don't want to do the tortillas.

I would do lumpia wrappers or wonton wrappers before trying pie crust or phyllo. There's a lot of moisture in that recipe, and phyllo will likely get soggy. Pie crust, I imagine, would be too heavy.

For one show, I made the cups with tortillas. As others have said, microwave the tortillas for about 5-10 seconds each, and they will be putty in your hands. I made and baked the tortilla cups at home and just demo-ed how to shape them at the show. They went over really well.

I haven't made this recipe but would those little Tostito Scoops work or are they too small?

unbelievable I never even thought about those. they might be a bit small, but you could use smaller shrimp or just chop them finer.

finley1991 said:
I haven't made this recipe but would those little Tostito Scoops work or are they too small?

That is an awesome idea. I might try those for my show on Sunday!

I have made these at at least 4 shows. I prep the shells before the guests arrive, and haven't had too many problems. If the tortillas are a little dry, the microwave and damp towel do the trick, as well as a little oil. Sometimes they do tear, but I haven't had any complaints yet. People just scarf them down! If you chop away with the food chopper, the rest of the recipe doesn't take too long.

What are lumpia wrappers???
Good idea about the Tostito Scoops!

Has anyone tried the Ceviche style shrimp ****tail in the Cooking for 2 or more? That is LESS work, and taste divine!

I put it in the martini glasses I got for Po-tinis, and serve them at a Naughtie Nightie show.

Very good for a laugh, and something different for repeat hosts.

I think the cutting took a ridiculously long time, but I'm into fast and tasty. I don't really get into things looking cool unless it doesn't take long. I would use the Scoops Tostitos and be done with it, next time. (I was in a hurry when I was making these, so it was quite annoying.)

JAE said:
I think the cutting took a ridiculously long time, but I'm into fast and tasty. I don't really get into things looking cool unless it doesn't take long. I would use the Scoops Tostitos and be done with it, next time. (I was in a hurry when I was making these, so it was quite annoying.)
You can stack the tortillas when you cut them, making it quite a bit quicker... you definitely have to prep the cups the night or day before.

Someone made the tortilla cups for a recipe tonight at the big extended cluster meeting tonight, and they turned out great. It was a busy night and I didn't get around to asking how they did it. I can still find out later.

I made these, and they were very yummy, but it did take a long time to make the cups. :eek: I like the idea of using the Tostitos Scoops for the recipe you're planning to do (which sounds like a variation of a 7 layer dip?). Yum - might have to try that myself! ;)

I made a batch of them first at home--took them ready made to the shows. At my 2nd show, I took half flour tortilla cups and half wonton cups. The guests said they tasted good in both. And, boy it's soooo much easier to make them in using the wonton wrappers, I don't think I'll go back to tortillas!

Related to Has Anyone Made Spicy Shrimp Ceviche Cups?

What ingredients do I need to make Spicy Shrimp Ceviche Cups?

To make Spicy Shrimp Ceviche Cups, you will need:

• 1 pound cooked shrimp, chopped
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Wonton wrappers
  • Olive oil for frying

Can I make these ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the shrimp ceviche mixture ahead of time and store it in the fridge. However, it is best to fry the wonton cups and assemble the ceviche cups just before serving for optimal freshness and texture.

What can I substitute for shrimp?

If you prefer not to use shrimp, you can substitute it with diced cooked chicken or fish. You can also omit the protein altogether and make a vegetarian version using diced tofu or extra vegetables.

How do I fry the wonton wrappers?

Heat about 1/2 inch of olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Place the wonton wrappers in the hot oil and fry for about 30 seconds on each side, or until golden brown and crispy. Use tongs to remove the wrappers from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.

Can I use store-bought wonton cups instead of frying my own?

Yes, you can use store-bought wonton cups if you prefer. However, the homemade fried wonton cups add an extra crispy and flavorful touch to the Spicy Shrimp Ceviche Cups.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefkeri
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
PCJenni
  • trisigma730
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
  • pckelly