• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grrr...surprise! "Kids Will Be at the Show!"

In summary, if you're not familiar with having children at your shows and they're going to be there, be prepared for things to not go as planned.
Chef Mary Rose
Okay. Here's another question for all you seasoned pros:

Kids. I love 'em. Honestly do. But at a show, they can be a killer.

I had a show yesterday and did a better job of host coaching. At no point did the host tell me kids would be at the show. And quite honestly, I didn't think to ask, because rarely have children been at my shows.

As soon as I arrived to set up, she nonchalantly says, "Oh, by the way, we will have some kids around..." I was quick to say something positive but inside was going, Oh...%$#...

Inevitably, kids will interrupt. That's just what kids do. Meanwhile, the moms rarely are paying close attention to what I'm saying because Little Junior is running around, upset because his slice of pizza is cold or whatever is threatening his little world at the moment. ;)

Does anyone ask their hosts ahead of time if children are expected? Is there a nice way to let the host know that children will be distracting and could potentially lower sales?

I was just not happy yesterday with how the show turned out. She had good attendance, okay sales. But I felt that many of her guests weren't able to absorb the information because we seriously had about ten little kids running around... :grumpy:

I don't have kids at my shows too often. But when I do I try to give them a job if I can. I'll let them hand out my tickets for my ticket game and tell them they have to pay close attention as to who gets a ticket and be sure and give it to them. If you have the right kids, they are happy to be involved and will cooperate. If you don't well then the best you can do is ignore them and do your thing. So long as they aren't messing with your stuff I wouldn't worry about them. Don't let anyone know that they are bothering you either - some mom's take offense to that.

pamperedlinda said:
Don't let anyone know that they are bothering you either - some mom's take offense to that.

Linda, believe me, I know! :D

I wouldn't dare let anyone know how annoyed I was. I'm pretty good with kids and I do just as you suggested. Yesterday, one of my participant's daughter (who looked about ten years old) was very interested in what I was doing, so I allowed her to help with stripping the cilantro leaves with our Kitchen Shears. She really got a kick out it and I got a kick out of her.

As we were doing that, my host then says to me, "Do you know how much longer it will be? Some people need to leave." I'm thinking, "Geesh, lady. You spring on me that kids will be at this show, we're doing a quick "Bevs & Bites" recipe (The Cran-Raspberry Fizz and Jerk Chicken Nachos), and THEN you want to rush me?"

It's so annoying. (I'm sorry...still grumpy...) I tried to do the interactive show and had few people actually participate. We were done with the show within an hour. I'd say that's pretty good with kids around!

I try to remember when host coaching to mention that it's a good idea to have a separate area for the kids to play in, since there will be knives and other sharp implements, and I'd hate for anyone's child to be injured. It gets the point across - that kids shouldn't be in the demo area. But it's worded such that I'm worried about them being hurt, rather than "just keep the brats away from me." In my experience, it's usually the people who have never been to a home party who have children there.

chefann said:
...But it's worded such that I'm worried about them being hurt, rather than "just keep the brats away from me." In my experience, it's usually the people who have never been to a home party who have children there.

LOL! Ann, that's a great way to do it, and you're absolutely right. The mother of that girl, BTW, ended up slicing her thumb on my FC Utility knife! :eek:

I felt safe letting the little girl squeeze some limes with the CP and then stripping some cilantro, but no knives!

Believe me, after this experience, I'm going to be asking every host from now on if children are expected and then tell them just what you say to your host, Ann.

The kids were supposed to be in a separate room yesterday but they kind of "leaked" out... :rolleyes:

Ok - different view point here. First, I have NEVER asked if children will be there. For many people children are just a part of life (thankfully) and sometimes a sitter or spouse just isn't available. I've had many, many shows with children, young toddlers to pre-teens there and I have NEVER let it get to me. The worst one I had was when the host's own two kids were there, about 4 and 6 and they were literally running in front of me as I tried to walk around and engage the guests, they were screaming, throwing things, etc. The host did very little to stop this. I just simply smiled and paused during these interruptions and went on about my show. Several of the guests made comments to me later about how well I maintained my cool during the show and they booked because of it.

Having the kids separated is an okay idea because I do agree with the sharp knives. But as I'm setting up and I see little ones there, I say something like - oh be careful sweetie, I don't want you to get hurt. Typically, mom notices and brings child away from my table. I also do like to engage the children if they are old enough (like 2 or more) and they get a kick out of it.

Children are a true blessing from God. And if you are lucky enough to be blessed to have 1 or more then you simply smile, appreciate them for who they are, and go on with your job.

I hope that I haven't offended anyone with what I've said, but I think changing your view of children from being an "interruption, distraction or bother" might help in how you approach them being at a show.

I had to take my own son with me to two shows last month. One was to a friend's house and her kids are my son's age and her DH took them all upstairs to play - that worked out very well.

The second time I absolutely could not get a sitter. My host was fine with it and said her daughter would be there to watch him. So, he packed a toy bag and went with me. I completely forgot that one of the ladies in the neighborhood would be there and her son goes to school with mine and she had to bring her kids as well. Worked out great for us both. They did get a little loud (as boys do) but they were fine. The only problem now is that my son wants to go to "Pampered Chef" with me again!

I agree with Andrea, I never ask
I coach my consultants to remember its not about them, there will be dogs, cats, kids, some rude guests and blaring tvs in the background put on a smile & on with the show.

Oh boy, I feel for you! I got annoyed just reading the post.

Most of my customers don't have small children...but their guests might. You never know. (Unless you ask). I'm a coward, I don't ask.

It can be a VERY rough call. I have had a groove in my tongue from biting it at times.:yuck:

Another non-PC product line person asks the Hosts if there will be children in the house, and suggests hiring a baby sitter for the show time period. One sitter for host and guest's kids. Explains the show will be quicker and more profitable, less distraction means higher sales and higher FPV. Gulp. I've never tried that. I'm a coward.

Maybe we should give free shipping to Mom if her kids are well behaved? :rolleyes:

chefann said:
I try to remember when host coaching to mention that it's a good idea to have a separate area for the kids to play in, since there will be knives and other sharp implements, and I'd hate for anyone's child to be injured. It gets the point across - that kids shouldn't be in the demo area.

Thanks Ann, great suggestion! I will ask in that way in the future :)

First, I am a big kid, myself. I love kids and usually am able to connect with them pretty well. After thinking about this a little more, I realized what may have been the true source of annoyance was feeling as though I was being rushed when I thought I was handling the chaos fairly well. ;)

My goal has been to shorten my cooking shows so I'm not there for four hours. :yuck:

Last night I took a big step toward that goal. I got the show done within an hour and was gone within three. (woohoo!) It's just that I want to minimize as much confusion and chaos as possible. I know we can't foresee everything, but knowing ahead of time what I'm walking into will be a big help.

I am also a professional speaker on the side. Distractions will certainly come and go and a speaker has to learn to roll with the punches, otherwise their presentation will suffer. There's a tendency for any audience to focus on the distraction as it occurs but if the main speaker just moves past it, usually the audience does, too.

I do love how each show is teaching me something. As a side note, I did not bring a display for the first time. You know what? No one seemed to really miss it and I saved myself multiple trips to the car! Plus it was very easy to clean up and leave. I loved it!

I'm done with carting extra stuff for displays. I asked my host ahead of time if there was anything in particular she wanted to see and she mentioned the cookbooks. That was all I brought. I will save my displays for booths from now on. :)

Use the kids to your advantage, if they are old enough.....

Let them use the products, like the
Salad Spinner, the Garlic Press, Citrus Press, Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer, Egg Slicer, or even the Food Chopper or Cheese Grater.

If I know their is going to be kids there, I always take a few of these products and maybe a cluster of garlic or two and some olives or a cheap block of cheese, makes the kids feel special to help show off the products.

If there is going to be several kids, I sometimes depending on the age, try and make one of the pizza's then you can showcase many differant products and they get excited and want to do it at home, so mom get's excited at not having to cook yet another meal and she will most likely purchase the tools needed.

You know.... are products are so easy even your kids can use them

I also know personally a few parents of kids with anger issues who use the Food Chopper as a therapy tool for them.... yes, I'm serious. When their child is angry and is lashing out they let them chop nuts....

I agree with Andrea.

The problem I have with getting kids involved is it takes an opportunity away from my guests. If the guests are all parents, they could see it as "oh, cool. My kid could help me in the kitchen with that tool!" but if they aren't, it takes up their time and an opportunity for them to try the tool themselves. I think with the new kind of interactive show, I will host coach letting the hosts know we will be working at the kitchen table and little hands need to be away from the table so they don't hurt themselves. On another note, I did a show at the beginning of January where there was an ador-a-ble little 3 year old. She was fabulous until it came time for the demo. She screamed and rolled around on the floor and the mom did nothing about it. I get distracted easily, so I know I wasn't doing my best. I didn't know what to say/do!!! The host commented after the show about my patience and I told her that I would have appreciated it if she had stepped in and said something because that was her friend, not mine. She is a consultant for another DS company and took it well. I wouldn't have said it if she wasn't a consultant.

I haven't had any kids since I've started my interactive shows but at one of my December show both co-hosts had 4th-grade children there. I was at the kitchen island, the kids were sitting at the island (front and center) and the guests were at the table beyond them...so basically buying guests were looking at the back of the kids' heads.

I put the kids to work (some) and still had to keep reminding them to please move to the side so the grown-ups can see what's happening. Argh! :grumpy:

I think with the new interactive shows, it will be much easier because EVERYONE will be front and center :)

Ah well, onward and upward to the next challenge.

Kids don't bother me as much as pets. The dog that wants to sniff all your products or the cat that won't get away from the chicken (I love cats so don't get me wrong on that point). I don't have much a problem with kids but then again, I'm so used to kids being a part of my life without having any of my own that they are just so cute to me! Then again, I'm having baby fever so that could be my problem. I've let them help out before, a cute little 5 year old boy was so proud when he helped with the lime fizz and had to tell everyone as they came in the door. To the little girl who helped me crush up some candy bars. I've never asked about kids at the party, I'm so used to attending parties with my sister where she has 1 or 2 of her 5 kids with her that I've never thought about it. Usually the hosts are pretty good about sending DH off with the kids or playing upstairs quietly that I've never had a problem. The one that go my heart was the little 5 year old who set up his own table with his toys on it and wanted people to pay $5 to touch his toys. Stole my heart!

ETA, to each their own about kids though, if you have problems, it maybe something to add to your host coaching. I've had issues with kids wanting to touch my products with the sharp stuff. Just add it into your host coaching. I would bring up pets in the same sentance so they don't think you are narrowing out their children.

This is a toughie - on the one hand, I prefer when there aren't kids there to "disrupt" the show. On the other hand, I've had MANY shows where kids are there and I just go with it. If they want to be part of the show, fine - I put them to work (age-appropriate). My host on Sat. had an 8yo daughter who wanted to do EVERYTHING, and I let her "help" by giving her tasks left and right. She loved it. I've also had "Cookie Parties" that are Mom/Daughter shows - we bake cookies with the kids first (cut-outs, let them sprinkle/decorate, then put them in the oven and send the kids downstairs to play), then bake a more difficult cookie with the moms. It always goes well - it's chaotic with the kids, but the moms like knowing they're doing something fun with the kids and not "abandoning" them for another DS party. So, it just depends. I agree that you're never really going to know what you're going to get until you get to the house and assess, but if you're flexible enough to roll with whatever comes your way, you should be fine. It sounds like you handled it well, Mary Rose, and were still able to get the recipe done and the party over in the timeframe you wanted. It's probably just the first time you had to deal with that many children at a show, and it can be very distracting, esp. if you're trying to change how you present your show. Hang in there and hopefully next time will be easier for you!

Cathy, thank you very much for your kind words. With each show, I learn something new. Although some moments can be a little trying, I do absolutely love discovering how I can be more effective and help my guests. I love these stories because kids are wonderful in so many ways. I'll continue to figure out how to balance things out. :)

In my host coaching I ask the host to let me know for safety reasons if she decides to allow children. It's just a comment I make in passing, but I've found it helps as a gentle discourager.

I had a show a few weeks ago, where there was kids. The host told me when I got there that the only way she could get people to come was if they brought their kids. I was only bummed I didn't know ahead of time, because I could have had some more kid tools with me. The kids were in the other room most of the night. It wasn't a very Mom/kid friendly group. I let one of the little (4 years) girls use the safe cutter to cut up banana slices and the mom was annoyed. Later she explained that she doesn't want her daughter to think any knife is safe. She likes it that way.
Bummer, I'm pretty sure that is not the smartest way to handle knives. Oh well, not my child. I have done many kid shows, and have fun showing the kids/parents new ways to incorporate the kids into the meal making routine. I realize life happens and kids need to come sometimes. I think it is considerate if the host mentions they will be there, but until I have a real negative experience with them there it is ok.

I have never had a show where there wasn't kids there. Most of the time they were very well behaved. My shows are always with moms and kids are a part of their life. And, when my kids were small they went everywhere with me. If my husband and I went to town, to eat, to a ballgame, the movies...wherever...they went too. If kids were not welcomed we didn't go. We didn't have family close enough to help us out and in our rural area finding a babysitter was tough. My kids were well behaved. They didn't get into things that didn't belong to them...if they did, they knew they would get a spanking. Now that my kids are older and can stay at home alone, they stay and I can attend parties or whatever without them. But, if anyone had ever told me that kids were not allowed, I wouldn't have gone...and if it was a show I wouldn't have bought anything from the host.

That being said, I know that kids are different today than they were 10 years ago. Society is so worried about not damaging kids by telling them "no" or spanking them that a lot of parents let their kids run wild. (Of course not all parents who don't spank their kids have unruly kids. Each child has to be disciplined according to their needs. ) And, probably a mom who is with a group of women and has a child rolling on the floor screaming is either embarrassed or she may be tuning the kid out to enjoy her time with grown ups. It is also true that you don't need to say anything to the mom or the kid because mom will get very upset.

It sounds like you handled the situation well.

I just did a show today with LITTLE kids--a couple of 2 year olds. The host's daughter screamed--and I mean temper tantrum screamed--at everyone every thing for 2 hours straight. People couldn't even hear me. The mom would hold her, she would scream. The mom would put her down, she would scream. The other kids came to get her to play, she would scream. It was horrible. I normally don't have a problem with kids, but this one was a holy terror. Sheesh. I'm exhausted.

Nanisu, you did the best you could. I'm sure they understood. One of the toughest things to deal with is a screaming child. It's just one of those "curve balls" we're sometimes thrown but I'm sure the guests understood. :)Last year, I did a show with a co-worker. It was a small show, with her live-in boyfriend, her sister and BIL, and another sister. Sister 1 brought her kids and (this is now funny, looking back on it..) her 10-year old son had one of those plastic "baby dolls" with him. These are the dolls they give kids in school to keep with them all the time to teach them the responsibilities of having a baby. (Part of me was thinking, TEN? The boy is just TEN?!!! But I know some kids are starting to get into sex way before they even understand it!)Anyway, I'm doing the demo and the doll starts to cry. And it's LOUD! Then the 10-year old starts to get upset and frustrated and starts yelling at his mom to do something! Then his mother starts to yell back at him! I'm standing there, not sure what to do so I keep going with the demo but just doing my prep work as the entire family is yelling about the "baby" crying and how stupid is it that a school gave a ten-year old such a thing and the mother can't wait until tomorrow (Saturday) so she can go to the school and throw the &*$# doll back into the face of the teacher and say "What the %$#@ were you thinking?!!"... I am seriously Laughing Out Loud right now but at the time, I felt badly for everyone involved! They finally got the "baby" to stop crying. Meanwhile, after the show as I was cleaning up, my co-worker's boyfriend said that he really loves to cook but was sorry about what had happened and then vowed that when they did another show, no kids were going to be there. I told him kids are fine. My co-worker's nephew just didn't realize what was in store when you had one of those "school babies!"After talking to my Director after that incident, she said to just ask the host if she has an area where the children could play and having a video to watch would be wonderful. I've had other shows where there were kids with no problem. I'm going to remember to ask the host so we can make sure the guests enjoy the show and have the opportunity to try the products themselves. :)You know, I don't have any "kid-friendly" products, either. Hmmm. This has me thinking that maybe in April, I'll add some to my supply!

Last edited:
Shawnna said:
I have never had a show where there wasn't kids there. Most of the time they were very well behaved. My shows are always with moms and kids are a part of their life. And, when my kids were small they went everywhere with me. If my husband and I went to town, to eat, to a ballgame, the movies...wherever...they went too. If kids were not welcomed we didn't go. We didn't have family close enough to help us out and in our rural area finding a babysitter was tough. My kids were well behaved. They didn't get into things that didn't belong to them...if they did, they knew they would get a spanking. Now that my kids are older and can stay at home alone, they stay and I can attend parties or whatever without them. But, if anyone had ever told me that kids were not allowed, I wouldn't have gone...and if it was a show I wouldn't have bought anything from the host.

That being said, I know that kids are different today than they were 10 years ago. Society is so worried about not damaging kids by telling them "no" or spanking them that a lot of parents let their kids run wild. (Of course not all parents who don't spank their kids have unruly kids. Each child has to be disciplined according to their needs. ) And, probably a mom who is with a group of women and has a child rolling on the floor screaming is either embarrassed or she may be tuning the kid out to enjoy her time with grown ups. It is also true that you don't need to say anything to the mom or the kid because mom will get very upset.

It sounds like you handled the situation well.

Totally agree with this statement in about 75% of the children I see!

Shawnna said:
It is also true that you don't need to say anything to the mom or the kid because mom will get very upset.

Oh how times have changed I guess. I remember I had to watch it because my parents gave EVERYONE permission to discipline me if I acted up. Do you honestly think I acted up at all? :D Now we are so worried about telling a parent to watch their kids. I've done only a few shows where there were kids and I had to tell a parent she needed to take her little darling to another room because they were distracting. I wasn't rude about it and honestly I didn't care if the parents got mad at me or not. Too many children control the parents and not the other way around. I would NEVER have acted like some kids act today or I would have received the end of a belt when I got home.

vtodd71 said:
Oh how times have changed I guess. I remember I had to watch it because my parents gave EVERYONE permission to discipline me if I acted up. Do you honestly think I acted up at all? :D Now we are so worried about telling a parent to watch their kids. I've done only a few shows where there were kids and I had to tell a parent she needed to take her little darling to another room because they were distracting. I wasn't rude about it and honestly I didn't care if the parents got mad at me or not. Too many children control the parent and not the other way around. I would NEVER have acted like some kids act today or I would have received the end of a belt when I got home.

I have full power to disapline my sister's kids as needed. If she's in the other room and one misbehaves, you better bet than I'm making sure they are behaving. My SIL on the other hand, you better watch out. If you try to tell her children to do anything, she's likely to bit your head off before doing anything about her children!

wadesgirl said:
I have full power to disapline my sister's kids as needed. If she's in the other room and one misbehaves, you better bet than I'm making sure they are behaving. My SIL on the other hand, you better watch out. If you try to tell her children to do anything, she's likely to bit your head off before doing anything about her children!

Yeah I just don't get it. I don't have kids yet but when I do, if they are acting up and someone makes them behave I won't mind at all. In fact, I'll thank them. I think some people get all bent out of shape because they take it personal, as if you are telling them they aren't a good parent. :rolleyes:

Most of my shows have children there. Most of the time they behave fine and play in another room. I have a show tonight where two 1 year olds will be there. I find the babies distract more then the bigger kids. The host was kind enough to tell me about it. I told her that was fine and I appreciated her asking. I told her most of my shows have children there and I have never been asked if it was okay before. She used to sell Tupperware though. I always just roll w/the punches at my shows. It makes life a lot easier.

I don't mind kids being at the shows. I just want the parents to make them behave. In fact, at my Halloween cooking show I used a spare bed room where I had kids painting little pumpkins. They were even encouraged to dress up for the event and I gave them candy. They never caused any trouble and the parents had a good time too. I guess the real key is to keep the little ones distracted whether it be watching Sponge Bob or coloring or whatever.

Yes, I remember the days when everyone in town had permission to discipline everyone's children. I grew up in a small town and you better watch out because wherever you were someone was watching you and they would either correct you or call your mom and dad. But the biggest thing is that we respected adults and didn't want to get into trouble. Today it seems most kids have no respect for anyone...not even themselves.

I remember the first time I spanked...actually just a swat on the behind...my niece. She was standing in the refrigerator...yes inside...screaming at her mom because she told her to get out. I pulled her out and swatted her. She in turn hit me which got her another swat. She yelled you aren't my boss...which got her anothe swat and me telling her she wasn't going to talk to her mom or me or anyone else that way and she needed to calm down. Needless to say, when I tell her to stop doing something...or to do something...she does it without yelling. My sister doesn't let her act that way but she thought since she was at grandma's house she would see how far she could go. Kids really want to be disciplined. They will all see how far they can push, but they just want to know their limits. I firmly believe in spanking, but realize that it doesn't work for all kids. My 3 were all different and so their discipline was different. I believe it is the parents job to discipline their children because they are going to be in charge of our society some day. And, I firmly believe that teachers need to be able to disciple our children. Whomever is in charge of my children have the authority to discipline them. I signed the paper that says my child can get a spanking at school. They know that the teacher is in control of them while they are at school...and I have only had one to receive a spanking (with her daddy standing there watching because they called him first). It was embarrassing for her and she has never had any problems at school since. They have to know their limits. Remember when you signed a paper to say that they couldn't be spanked and it was rare to have a parent sign it.

But, I have hijacked this thread. So we will get back to the original topic. Having a seperate room for children is very helpful. Most kids will sit quietly and watch a movie and eat a snack.

Shawnna said:
Yes, I remember the days when everyone in town had permission to discipline everyone's children. I grew up in a small town and you better watch out because wherever you were someone was watching you and they would either correct you or call your mom and dad. But the biggest thing is that we respected adults and didn't want to get into trouble. Today it seems most kids have no respect for anyone...not even themselves.

I remember the first time I spanked...actually just a swat on the behind...my niece. She was standing in the refrigerator...yes inside...screaming at her mom because she told her to get out. I pulled her out and swatted her. She in turn hit me which got her another swat. She yelled you aren't my boss...which got her anothe swat and me telling her she wasn't going to talk to her mom or me or anyone else that way and she needed to calm down. Needless to say, when I tell her to stop doing something...or to do something...she does it without yelling. My sister doesn't let her act that way but she thought since she was at grandma's house she would see how far she could go. Kids really want to be disciplined. They will all see how far they can push, but they just want to know their limits. I firmly believe in spanking, but realize that it doesn't work for all kids. My 3 were all different and so their discipline was different. I believe it is the parents job to discipline their children because they are going to be in charge of our society some day. And, I firmly believe that teachers need to be able to disciple our children. Whomever is in charge of my children have the authority to discipline them. I signed the paper that says my child can get a spanking at school. They know that the teacher is in control of them while they are at school...and I have only had one to receive a spanking (with her daddy standing there watching because they called him first). It was embarrassing for her and she has never had any problems at school since. They have to know their limits. Remember when you signed a paper to say that they couldn't be spanked and it was rare to have a parent sign it.

But, I have hijacked this thread. So we will get back to the original topic. Having a seperate room for children is very helpful. Most kids will sit quietly and watch a movie and eat a snack.

Wow - that must be a difference in where we live, because that would not even be an option here. I wouldn't even mention that my DS has been spanked at home to an educator here!

ChefBeckyD said:
Wow - that must be a difference in where we live, because that would not even be an option here. I wouldn't even mention that my DS has been spanked at home to an educator here!

That is because the educator would call Family Services on you, claiming you are "beating" your child. :rolleyes:

It's still allowed here and my kids both know I won't do a thing to prevent it if they've done something to warrant it. They also know if they get it at school, they're going to get it worse when they get home. I can't stand the way some kids act today and my mom would have made it impossible to sit for a week if I'd tried some of the things I see today. Mine know that I expect them to show respect and act respectable and responsible. I don't play games when it comes to acting up in public. Luckily, I have good kids and I get complimented on them by older folks quite often. :)

As far as children at shows, I haven't had any problems with young ones. The ones who were a pain were the teens who had to come in and interrupt every few minutes asking to do this or that. I have taken my daughter with me as a 'sitter' just in case. Now my son keeps asking when he can go with me but he wants to be in the kitchen too, not watching kids. lol

I don't think asking would help. Many times when kids come, it's a last minute thing. Something like "my husband had to go on a business trip and I had to bring the kids."

If you feel like you say something ahead of time, you might just casually say "if you think there might be children there, do you have a room where they can play or watch a video? I don't want them to be bored during my demo." At least that way, the host will think about it and ask her husband, older child or neighbor's kid to help contain the children.

If you're trying to keep your time down, you could just announce at the beinning of your show that all products can be touched/used at the end but that in finishing in a timely manner you want be able to allow non-buying guests to help.

I had posted this response on a different thread when I first started with PC but I think it belongs here too.

"Several years ago, (before I became a PC consultant) I had a Pampered Chef show for a consultant and she had to stop the show and ask the mothers to control their children. Two little boys were here and they were going wild (jumping off the couch, screaming, wrestling, etc.) When they started acting up, so did the other 5 that were here. The mother of the two boys did nothing, saw nothing and said nothing. After the consultant asked them to control their kids, the mother of the two boys jumped up and grabbed both and spanked them, which only caused more drama. It was the worse show I've ever had at my house and I've done several different types of shows. When it was over, I was in tears and the consultant was very upset. A few months later I called the same consultant to see about her doing a bridal show for my neice. She flat refused!! She said she couldn't do another show here with all those kids and that it was the worse one she had ever done. I assured her that it would only be my family and the kids that were here before lived up the street and wouldn't be here. She finally agreed and it went great! I guess that whole experience scares me from having a show with a bunch of kids."

So far, since becoming a PC consultant, I haven't had many shows with kids but I always wonder when it will happen. I've had kids at my shows but they always behaved or are in another room doing something. A friend of mine who is also a PC consultant did a bridal shower and I went to help her. There were at least 4 kids under the age of 4 at the shower. One little girl tore up the bridal board she had made and then she wrote all over the bridal apron AND a chair in the kitchen. Another boy came in the door screaming and continued the entire time he was there. It wasn't pleasant and I felt bad for my friend because she was trying to talk over the screaming and running around.
I have two kids of my own but I always made arrangements for them when I had a show of some kind or went to one. Their Daddy took them off somewhere but I always ended up with everyone elses.

Try getting bookings BECAUSE of the kids...

During the show, when you're discussing bookings, explain that you offer a "playdate" pampered chef show for mom's with young children. Team up with a sign language teacher, a face painter, or just hire someone to do organized crafts with the kids...tell the mom's that for $2 per child (or whatever the price may be, but keep it cheap), their kids can enjoy some play time, learning to sign, etc., while the mom's can enjoy relaxing, eating delicious food and shopping for awesome PC products! I know I for one would attend something like this in a HEARTBEAT.

I've got a delima like you Mary Rose. I've got a show this Thursday. The lady hosting the show goes to church with me. Our kids are in the same ss class. Now, don't get me wrong. I enjoy a play date just as much as the other girls, but there is a time and a place for playing. This host is dropping her daughter off at mother's day out, but told me the other girls are bringing their kids. Most all the moms have 2-3 kids, over half have 3 each. Now, the host doesn't have a play room and told me this. She also wanted me to do the recipe b4 i get there since the kids will be running around. Now, tell me this, if she's expecting the kids to be running around, how am I suppose to do a show for them? Basically she wants me to cook for them and just show up with books. I did this for another girl at church last summer and had to yell over elmo on the tv. It was not a good experience. I'm not looking forward to it at all.

I go with the flow and don't even think about asking if kids will be there or not. At a recent show, I had two toddlers who were supposed to be in the other room but they came out and well, found out there were chocolate chips and after I tossed them a few and everyone laughed they got bored and went away. LOL... the older child who was at that show helped collect drawing slips and was my unbiased chooser to see who won a prize. I also had a teen aged person help unwrap all those blessed rolos for the warm nutty carmel brownies... another child helped me clean up at the end. It really depends on the parents and on the kids. I can also imagine a few kids I know who I would NOT want to be at a show. LOL... thankfully that person knows her kids are a little... wild and shipped them off to relatives for a kid-free show... where the distraction was a loud talker.. :rolleyes:

So I don't ask.. and I don't tell... I let the host lay down the limits and establish boundaries and so far that's been working.

lkprescott said:
I go with the flow and don't even think about asking if kids will be there or not. At a recent show, I had two toddlers who were supposed to be in the other room but they came out and well, found out there were chocolate chips and after I tossed them a few and everyone laughed they got bored and went away. LOL... the older child who was at that show helped collect drawing slips and was my unbiased chooser to see who won a prize. I also had a teen aged person help unwrap all those blessed rolos for the warm nutty carmel brownies... another child helped me clean up at the end. It really depends on the parents and on the kids. I can also imagine a few kids I know who I would NOT want to be at a show. LOL... thankfully that person knows her kids are a little... wild and shipped them off to relatives for a kid-free show... where the distraction was a loud talker.. :rolleyes:

So I don't ask.. and I don't tell... I let the host lay down the limits and establish boundaries and so far that's been working.

I often have a child who is at the show help with this too. They love being the one who gets to choose!

Wow this stirred up a lot of thought! I have done a few shows where there are kids, including the interactive format. As long as you are making sure the kids are safe, and as long as you involve the other guests, I think it's good to involve kids. The parents see that many of our tools are safe and easy to use, the adults are usually charmed by the kids' enthusiasm and may pick up on it too, and THE KIDS ASK THEIR PARENTS TO BUY STUFF.

Playing along with the kids/dogs/cats and keeping your cool also show the guests that you are a nice person and that they may want you at their house too!

On the topic - I have a funny story. I had to bring my 11-year old son to a party with no other kids. He mostly played his Gameboy, but at one point he wanted to help. I had him shake herbs, and at the last shake he said BAM! ala Emeril. Everyone just fell out laughing! I have also brought my dog to a show (snowy night) and she charmed everyone.

1. What should I do if the host didn't mention that there would be kids at the show?

If the host didn't mention that there would be kids at the show, try to stay positive and make the best of the situation. It's important to stay flexible and adapt to unexpected circumstances.

2. Do you recommend asking the host ahead of time if children are expected?

It's always a good idea to ask the host if children will be present at the show. This way, you can prepare and plan accordingly. If the host says there will be kids, you can also suggest ways to keep them entertained during the presentation.

3. Is there a polite way to let the host know that children may be distracting?

It's important to communicate with the host about any potential distractions, including children. You can politely mention that children may interrupt the presentation and suggest ways to minimize the impact, such as having a designated area for kids to play or providing coloring books and activities.

4. How can I handle interruptions from children during the show?

If a child interrupts the presentation, try to handle it gracefully and without causing a scene. You can acknowledge the child and then continue with your demonstration. It may also be helpful to have a few small toys or snacks on hand to offer to children who may become restless.

5. What should I do if the host's guests are not paying attention due to children?

If the guests are not paying attention due to children, try to engage them by asking questions or involving them in the demonstration. You can also address the situation by saying something like, "I know the kids are having a great time, but let's try to keep the noise level down so everyone can hear." Remember to stay positive and focus on making the best of the situation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chellb1234
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
bentleymommy
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • PamperedLady1979
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies