• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grill Press: Non-Stick vs. Cast Iron - Tips for Easy Cleaning and Use

In summary, the Grill Press is not supposed to be non-stick. One way to use it without scratching the pan is to set it in the grill pan as the pan is pre-heating.
MomToEli
I finally ordered the Executive Grill Pan and Grill Press that I've been coveting all this time. But - is the Grill Press supposed to be non-stick? My is more like cast iron, though it is coated. But is sure isn't non-stick ... Should I brush it or spritz it with oil before I use it? I made chicken breasts and they stuck and man, was that hard to clean up!

What - you expect me to actually READ the instructions? I have too much testosterone (the result of growing up with four brothers) for that one. :D

Thanks, Ann! I really do appreciate knowing that I'm not crazy and my press isn't defective.

<giggle>
That testosterone comment is funny, because in my family, it was DAD who always had to read every single word of the instructions before he'd even start to play with something. It was torture on Christmas morning!

One of the things I do with it, too (not officially recommended as it can scratch your pan) is set it in the grill pan as the pan is pre-heating. Then the press gets a little warm, too.

Ooo ... good idea. I store mine inside the pan. Guess I should stick a little towel in between them, eh?

A towel or a paper towel.

chefann said:
<giggle>
That testosterone comment is funny, because in my family, it was DAD who always had to read every single word of the instructions before he'd even start to play with something. It was torture on Christmas morning!

That is sooo funny!! My husband is the same way!! It is torturous! I don't mind looking at instructions but I like to skim through. He has to read every word too...or he makes me do it!!

chefann said:
One of the things I do with it, too (not officially recommended as it can scratch your pan) is set it in the grill pan as the pan is pre-heating. Then the press gets a little warm, too.

I just put my grill press directly on a burner set on high for a few minutes. It gets super-hot and makes amazing paninis, no flipping required! Just be sure to use a pot holder or towel, because the handle does get a little too warm to handle comfortably.

Ann, my fellow Alton Brown devotee ;) , did you see the Good Eats episode on fondue and grilled cheese? For grilled cheese, he uses two cast iron skillets, one smaller than the other (small enough to fit in the larger one). He heats both skillets, puts the sandwich in the larger one, and uses the smaller one as a press. That was the inspiration for my heating the grill press directly. :)

ParishKitchen said:
Ann, my fellow Alton Brown devotee ;) , did you see the Good Eats episode on fondue and grilled cheese? For grilled cheese, he uses two cast iron skillets, one smaller than the other (small enough to fit in the larger one). He heats both skillets, puts the sandwich in the larger one, and uses the smaller one as a press. That was the inspiration for my heating the grill press directly. :)
I believe I did see that one. (I hate that they keep moving it around! 7:00 was the perfect time for it.) I wouldn't have even thought to do that, but it's a good idea. :)

urbnk8 said:
That is sooo funny!! My husband is the same way!! It is torturous! I don't mind looking at instructions but I like to skim through. He has to read every word too...or he makes me do it!!

The Furry Guy always reads the instructions--then he calls the people who wrote them twiddleheads and does what he wants. Hey, it's a system that works. :rolleyes:

Yeah, me dad reads all the instructions...and keeps the boxes everything came in!! A few months ago, he threw away a toaster box they got for their wedding (35 years ago!!) The toaster is LONG gone!! LOL My nickname for him is anal retentive...He smurks every time he does something or says something about instructions or receipts...he knows!! When he buys things in bulk (spices, TP, etc), he writes the date, store & amount he paid for it!! LOL~That really cracks me up!! I don't have time to do all that!!

DH used to do that! That's why one of our bird cages says "8/4/97" on it! He would even label toothpaste, so he could accurately gauge how long it took to use the tube. :rolleyes: And he keeps boxes, too. But that can be handy when you resell something on eBay (or when the EMPTY boxes sell on eBay for $50!).

My MIL labels everything she buys. Everything. If you pick up a tissue box it will have the date she bought it and the price she paid. She has every utility bill she's ever paid.

Nope, no OCD issues there. :)

Wow. and I thought I was bad by going through my kitchen and pantry and labeling WW points for all of my food! ha :)

As The Furry Guy often tells me, you shouldn't compare yourself to crazy people.

What is the purpose of a grill press?

A grill press is used to create even heat distribution and to apply pressure to foods being cooked on a grill. It also helps to prevent food from curling up or sticking to the grill.

How do I use a grill press?

To use a grill press, preheat your grill and then place the press on top of the food being cooked. Allow the press to sit for a few minutes, then remove and flip the food over. Replace the press on top and continue cooking until the food is done.

Can a grill press be used on any type of grill?

Yes, a grill press can be used on any type of grill, including gas, charcoal, and electric. Just make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and care.

Do I need to clean my grill press after each use?

Yes, it is important to clean your grill press after each use to prevent buildup of food particles and bacteria. Simply wipe it down with warm, soapy water and dry thoroughly.

Can I use a grill press for foods other than meat?

Yes, a grill press can be used for a variety of foods, including vegetables, sandwiches, and even pizza. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time and temperature as needed for different types of food.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JanisF
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
scottcooks
Replies
Views
lesliec
  • shelly.nurse
  • Products and Tips
Replies