• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Easy Ways to Clean and Maintain Your Cast Iron Dutch Oven

In summary, the cast iron Dutch oven was used to make beef stew and some of the food stuck to the bottom. The Dutch oven was washed with warm water and soap and then scrubbed and scraped with steel wool and a wooden spoon. The self-cleaning cycle in the oven was tried, but the food still stuck to the bottom. Boiling water and adding a tablespoon or 2 of baking soda was tried, but it did not work.
winklermom
I have a cast iron Dutch oven that I use for chili, stew, etc. Yesterday I made a pot of beef stew and it was wonderful although some of it stuck to the bottom of the Dutch oven. Needless to say, I didn't scrape the bottom when I was serving the stew and it never smelled scorched, however, when I began cleaning it and scraping what had been stuck on the bottom, the stench became very apparent. I let it soak overnight before trying to clean it, in hopes that it would loosen it up, which it did, but now that I've hand washed and dried it, there is still some black stuff stuck on the bottom that I cannot get to come off and it still wreaks! Any suggestions for cleaning my Dutch oven?

Can you put it on the stove top and boil some water with cream of tartar or baking soda? I have done this over the years and it loosens it up alot!

I can certainly try. How long to boil and how much baking soda?

I found this information on ehow dot com:• Add a little water to the pan. If you do happen to burn food in your cast iron cookware, the first thing you should try is adding water to the pan while it's still warm. It should help the baked-on bits loosen up, so they'll be easier to remove.
• Wash with warm water and soap. Scrub and scrape the inside of the pot with steel wool and a wooden spoon to remove all debris. Clean the inside thoroughly, and then rinse it until the water runs clear.
• Put it through the self-cleaning cycle in your oven if none of the above steps work. The high temperatures may be enough to bake off the offensive food and leave your pot looking new again.

get it up to a running boil and add a tablespoon or 2 or baking soda and boil for about 5 minutes

What is the best way to clean and maintain my cast iron cookware?

To clean your cast iron, use hot water and a stiff brush to remove any food residue. Avoid using soap, as it can strip the seasoning from the pan. After washing, dry your cast iron thoroughly and apply a thin layer of oil before storing. To maintain your cast iron, make sure to never soak it in water, and re-season it periodically to keep it non-stick and rust-free.

How do I season my new cast iron cookware?

To season your new cast iron, start by washing it with hot water and drying it completely. Then, use a paper towel to rub a thin layer of oil (such as vegetable or canola oil) all over the pan, including the outside and handle. Place the pan upside down on the middle rack of your oven and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour. Let it cool completely before using.

Can I use soap on my cast iron?

It is generally recommended to avoid using soap on your cast iron, as it can strip the seasoning and make the pan more prone to rust. However, if you have a particularly stubborn stain or residue, you can use a small amount of mild soap and make sure to thoroughly rinse and dry the pan afterwards.

Can I use my cast iron cookware on an induction cooktop?

Yes, cast iron is a great choice for induction cooktops because it is a good conductor of heat. Just make sure that your cookware has a flat bottom and is in good condition to ensure even heating. Avoid dragging your cast iron on the cooktop, as it can scratch the surface.

How can I prevent my cast iron from rusting?

To prevent rust on your cast iron, make sure to dry it completely after washing and apply a thin layer of oil before storing. If you notice any rust spots, you can use steel wool or a scrub brush to remove them and then re-season the pan. Also, avoid leaving acidic foods (such as tomatoes or citrus) in your cast iron for extended periods of time, as they can cause rusting.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
Back