• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Got a Question From a Customer About Her Bar Pan...can You Help?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question about using a PC Stoneware bar pan to cook bacon in the oven. The person was concerned about the pan soaking up too much grease and potentially causing a fire. They were wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar issue and if there was a solution. Some suggestions were given, such as using parchment paper and cooking at a higher temperature, and it was mentioned that the stoneware is non-porous and only seasons the surface, not absorbing any grease. The conversation also touched on the benefits of using parchment paper and personal preferences for crispy bacon. Overall, the conversation provided tips and advice for cooking bacon on a stoneware bar pan in the oven.
jesusluvsu2005
Here's what she said.....
"I have a quick question for you about my PC Stoneware bar pan. I have had it a long time but just recently (in the last two months) started cooking bacon on it in my oven. I had a bad experience previously with a PC bar pan that broke in my oven while cooking bacon and caused an oven fire, so I am a little anxious about it. Needless to say, the stone is VERY well seasoned. So much so, that I am worried that it may be soaking up so much grease that it is going through the pan and dripping into the bottom of my oven during cooking. The bottom is brown around the edges and feels greasy. I cleaned out my oven, but since using it more & more times I have accumulated what I believe is grease build-up in the bottom of my oven. I am nervous about continuing to use it due to risk of fire.

I was wondering if you could check on this for me to see if anyone else has ever had a similar problem. I tried googling it, but couldn’t find anyone with the same concern. I did find a ‘tip’ about using baking soda to clean the grease up a bit, but I didn’t want to try that without asking you either. I was using it about every day to cook bacon, so I’m hoping for a solution"

I'm not sure what to tell her. Anyone have any answers? Thanks!
God bless,
Amanda

use parchment paper

DebbieJ said:
use parchment paper

darn, you beat me to it!

First of all, it is not "soaking" up the grease... The stoneware is non porous and therefore does not allow anything to soak through... the seasoning is completely on the surface and not throughout the stone.

I would think that the greasy feeling that she has on the sides/bottom of the pan probably comes from draining the grease off, etc. or from the splattering of the grease while the bacon is in the oven.

If her oven is covered with grease on the bottom, she needs to use an oven cleaner that will take care of it. I put bacon on my bar pan in the oven and have no problem at all. I'm thinking she had a "store brand" stone that broke and caught on fire. Our stoneware does not absorb the grease, it just seasons the top.

It is possible (Happened to a cust of mine) that she has hairline cracks in her stone. If so yes grease could be going thru those cracks and leaking into her oven.

My bar pan gets a little oily on the bottom when I do bacon, but I think it's from pouring off the grease (and I think I need to launder my oven mitts, too). If she wants to really cut down on the splatter, have her put parchment OVER the pan (like a lid) in addition to under the bacon.

I am only recently discovering the many wonderful uses for parchment paper. And I have never thought of cooking bacon on stoneware in the oven, but may need to try it sometime. :O)

hollye44 said:
I am only recently discovering the many wonderful uses for parchment paper. And I have never thought of cooking bacon on stoneware in the oven, but may need to try it sometime. :O)
OMG! It's the only way to cook bacon! My large bar pan looks like a metal pan, it's so well seasoned from cooking bacon. :D I'd cry if it broke. I also love that I don't have to stand there and watch it - I can make pancakes or whatever on the stove while the bacon is in the oven.

My mom had a magnet when I was growing up: Never cook bacon naked.
:D

I've tried cooking the bacon on the bar pan in the oven, but it's never crispy enough for our tastes... what's the trick? We've tried with and without parchment paper....

ChefPaulaB said:
I've tried cooking the bacon on the bar pan in the oven, but it's never crispy enough for our tastes... what's the trick? We've tried with and without parchment paper....

Cook it longer

You might try a slightly higher temp, too. Bump it by 10 degrees, and see if that helps.

What are the temps and times that you are using? I can't remember but I think that I tried 400 degrees for 30 minutes... does that sound about like you all do?

My oven isn't very accurate, but I set it so it runs around 425. And I check it at 20 minutes, although I usually end up leaving it in longer. DH and I both like our bacon really crispy. Once it starts to crisp, it'll go past crispy to burnt in just a few minutes.

Thankyou!!! I'll try it again!

I cook mine 375 for about 18 - 20 mins!! Crispy every time!!!!!!!!!

chefann said:
My oven isn't very accurate, but I set it so it runs around 425. And I check it at 20 minutes, although I usually end up leaving it in longer. DH and I both like our bacon really crispy. Once it starts to crisp, it'll go past crispy to burnt in just a few minutes.
Thanks for those directions again. Mine wasn't crispy either. I don't care for bacon by the males in my family like it. I'll have to try it again.

etteluap70pc said:
it Is Possible (happened To A Cust Of Mine) That She Has Hairline Cracks In Her Stone. If So Yes Grease Could Be Going Thru Those Cracks And Leaking Into Her Oven.

^^^^that!!!

I have had TWO bar pans do this to me. My current one looks nasty and seasoned on the bottom and I finally gave up and just kept it. I have had it for about 4 years now and use it ALL THE TIME. It was really bad/greasy/sticky on the bottom for a while and I had to use baking soda and steel wool to get the build up off. No one in my cluster (including my director who has been in the business for over 15 years) has ever seen a stone do what my last two bar pans did. It was NOT grease coming from over the edges...it came THROUGH the stone.

Thankfully, as the inside got more seasoned, the outside quit getting nasty and sticky.

I also HATE bacon in the bar pan...so I don't use it for that anymore!

KellyTheChef said:
I have had TWO bar pans do this to me. My current one looks nasty and seasoned on the bottom and I finally gave up and just kept it. I have had it for about 4 years now and use it ALL THE TIME. It was really bad/greasy/sticky on the bottom for a while and I had to use baking soda and steel wool to get the build up off. No one in my cluster (including my director who has been in the business for over 15 years) has ever seen a stone do what my last two bar pans did. It was NOT grease coming from over the edges...it came THROUGH the stone.

Thankfully, as the inside got more seasoned, the outside quit getting nasty and sticky.

I also HATE bacon in the bar pan...so I don't use it for that anymore!

Kelly HUH? Why on earth? Is it just because your preggy and your tastebuds are off a little? I've NEVER heard this before! :confused:

1. How do I properly clean my bar pan?

To clean your bar pan, first let it cool down completely. Then, use a mild dish soap and warm water to wash it by hand. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or steel wool, as they can damage the non-stick coating. You can also place the bar pan in the dishwasher, but hand washing is recommended for best results.

2. Can I use metal utensils on my bar pan?

No, it is not recommended to use metal utensils on your bar pan as they can scratch the non-stick surface. Instead, use silicone, nylon, or wooden utensils to protect the coating.

3. Is the bar pan safe to use in the oven?

Yes, the bar pan is oven-safe up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. However, do not use it under the broiler or on the stovetop.

4. Can I use cooking spray on my bar pan?

Yes, you can use cooking spray on your bar pan, but it is not necessary. The non-stick coating on the pan will still provide easy release without the use of cooking spray.

5. How do I prevent my baked goods from sticking to the bar pan?

To prevent sticking, make sure to properly grease the pan before use. You can also line the pan with parchment paper for even easier release. Additionally, avoid using sharp objects to remove baked goods from the pan, as they can damage the non-stick coating.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Dotty
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
etteluap70PC
  • ChefJessica95765
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefhutch04
  • Shari in TX