• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Gluten-Free Pizza Prep for Friend's Dinner: Questions Answered

The show is next week and in honor of one of her friends who has celiac disease, the host promised Gluten Free Pizza for dinner. Zeppe's, a chain in the region, will sell her a Gluten Free Pizza Shell for $3. There are restrictions as far as sauce, cheese and toppings for those with gluten restrictions. She noticed that a lot of sauces have soy in them and is wondering if that is gluten. She also wants to know if she needs to get special cheese, or if that is her friend's restrictions on nitrates talking. She is also wondering if she needs to worry about stuff added to pepperoni, sausage, etc. She is wondering if gluten is found in wheat. The ingredients list
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
I have a show next week. In honor of one of her friends who has celliac, and in an effort to give her something she can serve should she invite her over to dinner, I promised Gluten Free Pizza.

I found out that Zeppe's, a chain in our region, will sell me a Gluten Free pizza shell for $3.

What I am wondering is if there are any restrictions as far as sauce, cheese and toppings for those with gluten restrictions. I noticed a lot of sauces have soy. Is that gluten? Do I need to get special cheese, or is that my friend's restrictions on nitrates talking? Do I need to worry about stuff added to pepperoni, sausage, etc?

Gluten is found in wheat. Wheat is often added to soy sauce. Check labels for "gluten free" and read ingredients. At the end of the ingredients list, there should be a "contains:" line which would list wheat if it's been added. Cheese doesn't have gluten. You shouldn't have to worry about pepperoni, sausage, etc. but check those labels anyway.

Shredded cheese almost always contains some gluten (in the stuff they put on it to keep it separated in the bag) and sometimes cured meats also contain gluten in some form. Buy block cheese and grate it at the show, and buy a brand of pepperoni, etc...that says it doesn't contain gluten - or use bulk Italian sausage. (Applegate Farms brand don't contain gluten, and neither do Hormel Naturals)

Oh Becky, I was hoping you would answer this! I haven't seen Applegate but I'm not much of a label checker most of the time. I have seen Hormel Naturals, I think! I looked on labels of pizza sauce and didn't see a mention of gluten but did check for soy. I'm thinking of stopping by an Amish market.Silly question ... are veggies an issue? Because Zeppes doesn't put veggies on GF pizza because of cross contamination. Wonder why the meat toppings and cheese aren't an issue? And I was thinking of doing a salad so I could show off the salad spinner and new products (cooling thing, lid, etc.)

Probably they don't put veggies on pizza because they are fresh, and chopped/sliced/diced in the same area the regular crust is made, which means there could be some cross-contamination. That would be my guess, anyway.

Veggies are completely safe on their own. You should be able to use any veggie on the pizza.
Soy is not safe in the form of soy sauce...because traditional soy sauce is made with wheat. You can use soy sauce IF you buy Tamari Sauce, which is a wheat-free soy sauce. But, not sure that you would need that for pizza. ;) Unless of course, you are dealing with a soy allergy too? My son can't have gluten, corn, soy, or food colorings ...so I'm well-versed on reading labels and knowing what is okay and what's not. It's a full time job!

Make sure you don't use a stone that you've had regular pizza on, from what I've been told that's bad, as the "gluten" binds to the stone? I'm not sure, but I know my Gluten free customers buy there own stones for their own use, so use a new one or use metal, as that doesn't allow the binding from what I've been told. Or call your hostess to be sure.

HTH,

Lisa

When is the show? My uncle is very sensitive so we always go to the extreme with gluten free recipes. You cannot use your stone as someone mentioned if they are extremely sensitive. Perhaps the BBQ Pizza rack would be better.

Recently, we made shredded BBQ in a crockpot, it's a great recipe but had to use a different BBQ sauce since many include gluten--that was surprising to me. I couldn't use the $1/bottle that I primarily use; I paid $4/bottle but everyone loved it.

Are you flexible with the recipes? Only PC or just a gluten free recipe?

I'm not using the stone. It's a grilled pizza. I also plan to put foil under it as an added safety step, since we don't know what may have been on her grill before.

1. Can I use regular pizza dough for a gluten-free pizza?

No, regular pizza dough contains gluten which is a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. For a gluten-free pizza, you will need to use a dough made with gluten-free flours such as rice flour, almond flour, or corn flour.

2. What type of flour should I use for the pizza dough?

There are many gluten-free flours available, but the most commonly used for pizza dough are rice flour and almond flour. You can also use a gluten-free flour blend that is specifically made for baking.

3. Can I use regular pizza sauce for a gluten-free pizza?

Not all pizza sauces are gluten-free, so it's important to check the label. Look for a sauce that is specifically labeled as gluten-free or make your own using canned tomatoes, herbs, and spices.

4. What toppings are gluten-free?

Most toppings are naturally gluten-free, such as vegetables, meats, and cheeses. However, some processed meats, such as deli meats, may contain gluten. Be sure to check the label or ask your friend if they have any dietary restrictions.

5. How do I prevent cross-contamination?

Cross-contamination occurs when gluten-free foods come into contact with gluten-containing foods. To prevent this, use clean utensils, a clean workspace, and separate toppings for the gluten-free pizza. It's also important to use a clean baking sheet or pizza stone.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
mmilus
  • ChefChris
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • smartcookie
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies