• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Get Organized for Your First Conference: A List of Expenses and Tips

I'm glad you are keeping a budget and not being swayed by the vendors.I am glad you are keeping a budget and not being swayed by the vendors.
krzymomof4
Silver Member
Okay, I am such a visual person it isn't funny.
Here is the favor I am asking....This will be my first conference. I am needing a list and estimated numbers(money wise). I have already paid for registration, but I am trying to get all of my other figures figured out. Since my business has been slow lately I am probably going to have to "borrow" the other expenses from my DH. I also have already paid for transportation except for the way from Union Station to the hotel.
I know I have to pay for my share of the hotel, but I didn't know what other expenses to plan for.
Thanks for the help.

Meals
Taxi rides
Little shops along the way
Little snack carts w/fruit/coffee etc at conference.
Merrill
Surprise Boxes--actually they charge this to your PC Debit or Credit card

Here's some info I have - hope it helps...

Attachments

• conference checklist.doc
    22 KB · Views: 334
  • conference tips.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 319
That is great.
How many meals do you need to plan for?

I am budgeting about $250 for hotel (that's generous, I hope it's less)
$30 for taxi, transportation
$50 for meals (just in case)
??? for spending money, when I get the rest covered, I'll figure in the fun money, I"m hoping to take about $150 though for surprise boxes and Merrill..but we'll see...other than that, if you have registration and trans covered, the hotel is probably going to be your main expense.

krzymomof4 said:
That is great.
How many meals do you need to plan for?

Depending on when you go, it will be first day all meals, and I think that's it. They cover breakfast and lunch on day 2 and then there's a banquet for dinner, and then on day 3 they give breakfast and then you are on your own if you stay later and need lunch. There's a McDonalds in the conference center and that's where I ate when I needed something here and there and then on the last day on the way to the airport I stopped there for a quick bite.

Colleen always has a GREAT budget for everything...

janetupnorth said:
So where is she?? Colleen...oohhh Colllllleeeeennnnn.....:sing:

Give me a few minutes. I have to convert it from excel to post here... I'll be back... :)

It is very possible to do conference on a budget - you just can't be sucked into the vendor area, and watch your pennies for snacks and beverages. If you can get to a drug store, you can pick up bottled water MUCH cheaper than the vending machines at the conference center.

Okay... Here is my stingy budget for NC. I did a budget for NC last year and Leadership this year and it worked out great for me.

I stick to this no matter what and always return home with extra money. I also pay for everything in cash so I'm not paying for my NC experience after it's over. (Not that it's not worth it but I don't like having to pay for things I did months earlier). I also don't buy alcohol if it's going to bump me out of my meal budget. If I spend less on lunch, I'll add that to dinner and maybe order a drink.

I only plan to purchase new product mini catalogs and something small for my team from Merrill. I just pick up the brochures from the vendors and order when I get home. It's too easy for me to get caught up in the mass hysteria of conference and overspend at the booths. The not-paying-for-shipping is not that great of a "deal" to me for 2 reasons: 1. I have to lug everything home which I am not a fan of and 2. I don't like impulse shopping... I end up with way more than I really need.

Cab fare to the hotels from Union Station will only be about $6 with tip. All of my cab fares are my share assuming 4 people are in the cab. (It's also a good idea to take a mapquest with you from the airport/union station/etc to your hotel so you can monitor the route the cab driver takes.... Sometimes the scenic and more expensive route is given to those from out of town. It's best to know where you are going and direct your driver that way).

Anyway... hope it helps!

Attachments

• National Conference Budget 2008.doc
    53 KB · Views: 411
If I was not flying, I'd bring a mini-cooler of bottled water with me to NC. Might bring the collapsable one and stash it in my suitcase.

janetupnorth said:

Thanks Janet! :)

Colleen ... did we miss an attachment?

I attached it... scroll up and you'll see it. :)

finley1991 said:
Thanks Janet! :)

No problem! :) It's true and I figured you wouldn't mind helping out!

We always drive so we have enough bottled water/drinks/snacks for the duration. I never get anything at the carts...no need. You can find inexpensive places to eat (just ask the front desk since there are directions in which you don't want to go too far). Of course, last year, we had free breakfast and dinner b/c of the horrid wait for our room. THAT helped :). Definitely shop calmly at Merrill and try on the clothes so if you DON'T order then, at least you know what your size is for that jacket/shirt/whatever, that you know you'll have to get later. They are ALL different though so Medium in one may be a Small or Large in another.I don't have to deal with cabs or airports so I don't know about that. Just pack what you can (like granola bars) and leave a little extra room in your bag. You CAN spend a ton, or very little extra. It's really up to you.

Thank you for all the great ideas and tips. This too is my first conference and I'm SUPER EXCITED!!:D :D :D

I knew about the surprise boxes from my director so I'm building those into my budget. Do all the companies take our TPC debit cards or should we carry cash/other credit cards?? I don't want to have to carry my purse all the time....(thinking out loud) Okay so I guess I could carry it...or do we get a cool bag or something to carry out note pads/recorders??

THANKS!

The TPC debit card is only for PC, so you'll have to bring cash, debit, whatever.I bring a refillable water bottle--there are water coolers throughout McCormick and you can just fill up your own bottle instead of buying one at every turn.

Di_Can_Cook said:
If I was not flying, I'd bring a mini-cooler of bottled water with me to NC. Might bring the collapsable one and stash it in my suitcase.

I bring an empty reuseable water-bottle every year and fill it up at the filling stations all around the conference center...saved me a bundle and kept me well hydrated.

jbdowd0798 said:
I don't want to have to carry my purse all the time....(thinking out loud) Okay so I guess I could carry it...or do we get a cool bag or something to carry out note pads/recorders??
We do get a conference tote bag.

And it's against policy to record any company-sponsored event, so you'll have to leave your recorder at home and just take a note pad.

OOOOOOH! Smart idea ... here in Ohio we avoid tap water like the plague, and that's generally the only option!

I noticed the attachment had cab fare ... my team said they usually take the buses and shuttles ... what is the fee to get from the conference hotels to Palamer?

Cabs are to get to/from airports or train station to the hotels. The Palmer House Hilton is within walking distance of the Chicago Hilton (a few blocks), but I thought it was an official hotel again this year, so there'll be a shuttle.

I put cab fare in that covers the trips to and from Union Station as well as cabs to dinner. Last year we ate at Kitchn (http://www.kitschn.com/index.html) and needed to take a cab to get there... there was no way we could have bussed it.

Last year, my cluster ended up taking a limo to dinner! It was day 1, and we had a reservation at Weber Grill for my AD's cluster - there were about 16 of us. 8 of us were leaving the Hilton, and of course there was a huge line out front of consultants trying to get cabs for dinner. (And we couldn't be late to the restaurant because they wouldn't count us as "there" until everyone was there, and if we were more than 10 minutes late, they'd give the table away and charge us $25 per person anyway.) A driver approached us, and asked if we wanted to go in a limo, since he could see we were a large group. We said OK, picturing one of those party buses. Nope. It was an actual limo. Cost us about the same per person as cabs would have. He was probably waiting at the hotel after dropping someone off and decided to make a couple bucks instead of just waiting around. :)The best part was calling one of the other gals in the cluster and telling her that we were in a limo. She didn't believe us, and her jaw hit the sidewalk when we piled out of the car.

Thanks Ann. Its interesting you mentioned recording was against policy. I had a talk with someone who went (Director) and she mentioned recording it since there was so much info. Oh well, guess we'll just have to take great notes. :)

The recording statement isn't in the regular policies, but it's online on CC in the meetings and training policies.
Policies said:
You may not audiotape or videotape any portion of any official Pampered Chef meeting. The programs we present are usually copyrighted or trademarked and are not for public taping. Occasionally we will offer audio or videotapes for sale or through the lending library, but we have received and/or paid for permission to do so.

Related to Get Organized for Your First Conference: A List of Expenses and Tips

5 Most Frequently Asked Questions about "Get Organized for Your First Conference: A List of Expenses and Tips"

1. What are some common expenses for attending a conference?
Some common expenses for attending a conference include registration fees, travel costs (such as airfare and hotel accommodations), meals, and any additional fees for workshops or events. It's also important to budget for any unexpected expenses that may arise.

2. How can I save money on conference expenses?
One way to save money on conference expenses is to plan ahead and book your travel and accommodations early. Additionally, look for discounts or special rates offered by the conference organizers or partner companies. You can also consider sharing accommodations with other attendees to cut down on hotel costs.

3. What are some tips for staying organized during a conference?
Some tips for staying organized during a conference include creating a schedule or itinerary, keeping all important documents and materials in one place, and taking notes or using a conference app to keep track of important information. It's also helpful to have a designated bag or folder for all conference related items.

4. Should I bring my own meals or eat at the conference?
It depends on your personal preference and budget. Some conferences provide meals as part of the registration fee, while others may not. If you have specific dietary restrictions or preferences, it may be beneficial to bring your own meals. However, eating at the conference can also be a great networking opportunity.

5. Is it worth it to attend a conference as a first-time attendee?
Attending a conference as a first-time attendee can be a valuable experience for networking, learning, and personal and professional growth. It's also a great opportunity to learn about the industry and gain new insights and knowledge. However, it's important to weigh the costs and benefits and make sure it aligns with your goals and budget.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• BadGirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • SpiritdancerIA
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
gaddischef
Replies