• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Get on the Phone... and Write It Down!

In summary, this reporter found it challenging to keep track of her phone calls in a systematic way. She switched to a "business in a box" in order to make it easier. She tracked her calls in a binder, but found it cumbersome and unuseful. She switched to a shoebox with dividers and tabs, and used a highlighter to highlight contact information for past show hosts. She wrote August on the first page, and then the date (8/6). She wrote down "voice mail", "call back", "did not leave message", "no", "call in future", and "booking" on consecutive lines.
dwyerkim
I get very discouraged making what seem like endless phone calls with often little results to show. Another consultant I know said she keeps a log so she can look back and see just how many calls she places and what results she has. So I did that this week, and since Monday, I've placed 93 calls, left 56 messages, and have had 12 where I've reached a person but not the person I was calling so I need to call back. I consider those calls "neutral" since I have no idea what the person's reaction is when they get my message. I have 16 people that I need to follow up with in the future--these are the "interested but can't pin down a date yet" people, many of whom I have sent mini catalogs to since the conversation, and many of whom I feel fairly certain will book in the early to mid fall. I should also note that these conversations all had a very positive feel. I also booked FIVE SHOWS (3 kitchen, 2 catalog), and while one of those was in the works before this week, the other 2 kitchen shows totally surprised me, as did one of the catalog shows. So, 21 calls out of 93 that had a positive outcome--a little more than 1 in 5. The flip side, I had 6 flat out "not interested now or in the future" calls. 6 out of 93--not too bad, and certainly not worth getting upset about. Plus, while the result of the call was not what I wanted, the people I spoke with were all very pleasant and the calls ended very nicely, no awkwardness or whatever.

Hope that helps some of you--write it all down and see your results, you may be pleasantly surprised! So I have 5 new shows on my calendar, something I couldn't say last Sunday, and they never would have happened if I hadn't gotten on the phone!

I find that more people are home in the evening and on Sunday night.

It also helps you for accidentally calling the same people twice! Great job getting on the phone! Even the ones without "positive" outcomes have heard your name again so you are fresh in their minds!

Very impressive! You're an inspiration! I want to be like you when I grow up and get my butt on the phone. :)

Ok, here I go getting bogged down in the details, but humor me.:rolleyes:

What kind of format did you use to write it down? I have tried the phone log from HO, tried making up my own log, tried keeping track in P3; all of which just didn't feel right to me. I am struggling to find a tracking system that works for me. Maybe what you did will help?:)

sfdavis918 said:
Ok, here I go getting bogged down in the details, but humor me.:rolleyes:

What kind of format did you use to write it down? I have tried the phone log from HO, tried making up my own log, tried keeping track in P3; all of which just didn't feel right to me. I am struggling to find a tracking system that works for me. Maybe what you did will help?:)
Here's what I did... I had been tracking leads in a binder and it was cumbersome and not very useful. I switched to doing a "business in a box" last weekend (had planned to do it since returning from conference). I got a plastic snap top shoe box size box, Jan-Dec 4x6 tabbed dividers, and one set of 1-31 dividers (could really use 2 but I was being cheap). I took all my old door prize slips and filed them appropriately for follow up, and then I took my catalog show show summary print outs, cut apart the individual contact info and their order, and stapled those to blank 4x6 cards. I used a highlighter to highlight past show hosts to make them a little easier to ID. My cards/contacts took up about 1/3 of the shoebox, and in the remainder of the box I had just the right space to shove in a small journal size notebook--keeps it handy and keeps the cards from spilling over. I basically wrote August on the first page, then the date (8/6), then wrote down on consecutive lines "voice mail", "call back", "did not leave message" (I'll do that if I'm really trying to catch someone in person and don't want to leave another message and look like a stalker), "no", "call in future", and "booking". You could use other "categories"--those are just the ones that made the most sense to me. I just put a tick mark next to each category as I placed the calls, and then on the back of my door prize slip or index card I wrote the date, what I did (like "left message" or "call back early Sept for possible Oct show, send mini-catalog", and the next contact date. Then when I'm done with a pile of cards, it is easy to refile them under the next contact date.

Hope that helps. I feel like I finally found a system that will work well for me--only wish I found this last winter when I started. Oh, I also printed out a few phone scripts and put those in my box too--would love to print those on index cards and put them in their own section. I would also like to get a few more tabbed dividers so that I can put recruit leads and current/past hosts in their own spot to find them more rapidly.

The big key though is just to pick up the phone. Unless your experience is VERY different than mine, you'll find that the people you do reach are genuinely appreciative and pleasant. I had several people, who I had only ever left messages for and never reached in person since meeting them in the early spring, thank me for keeping in contact with them. So if you assume, like I have, that people see your name on caller id and then run out of the room, you're probably wrong! :D

Addie4TLC said:
Very impressive! You're an inspiration! I want to be like you when I grow up and get my butt on the phone. :)

Well, in July, before conference, I was crying in my coffee about why nothing seemed to be working. I had a big fat $0 in sales in July--had 3 shows at the end of the month that closed in August--the summer was just really hard for me (and I think for a lot of us), which makes it hard to get back out there. But just do it--what's the worst that can happen, they say no? So what, no biggie, and by not calling them they are by default saying no... And the more you do it the easier it gets! Set a short time frame, like 20 minutes, and force yourself to make calls for that time period. It will be over before you know it!

Kim, great job!!!

I bought all the stuff to start the BIAB but haven't done it yet. :eek: Now I'm excited to get started!

Thanks for sharing:thumbup:

dwyerkim said:
Well, in July, before conference, I was crying in my coffee about why nothing seemed to be working. I had a big fat $0 in sales in July--had 3 shows at the end of the month that closed in August--the summer was just really hard for me (and I think for a lot of us), which makes it hard to get back out there. But just do it--what's the worst that can happen, they say no? So what, no biggie, and by not calling them they are by default saying no... And the more you do it the easier it gets! Set a short time frame, like 20 minutes, and force yourself to make calls for that time period. It will be over before you know it!

Thanks I need to be kicked in the pants... :) The sad thing is that when I have sat down I DO get results. I have to follow the "Do it now" mantra of autosuggestion because I think of a million and one things to do "before" I make my calls.

i think i'll make one of those biab things ... it sounds much better than the lead binder that i started and never could finish!

Chef Endora said:
Kim, great job!!!

I bought all the stuff to start the BIAB but haven't done it yet. :eek: Now I'm excited to get started!

Thanks for sharing:thumbup:

Well, last Sunday evening I was on the phone with my best friend out east for two and a half hours... it was a great time to just work on ripping the leads out of my binder and putting them into the box. The box is SO MUCH EASIER for me to use and I can see in an instant what needs to be done and when.

I have to call my friend in TN. I'll make sure all that stuff is handy then.

Always multi-tasking...

I LOVE the idea of logging everything. I need to get better about that! Kinda like journaling or even prayer journaling to see all of the changes and progress being made. :)

Kimberly,

I did just do it today! I do have a box that I have everyone in, but I think I may just have to get a bigger one so that I can use the orderforms I get at the shows. I am still not sure how I am going to file everything, but at least I called everyone. I got a lot of machines and left messages with someone other than the guest, but at least I did it. I did however confirm two catalog shows for the fall so that was good.

I did have good karma though. As I was finishing up the calls tonight I got a call from a lady that I met at a 3-day fair I did in July. She was extremely nice and we talked for about 20 minutes. She just moved from CA like I did and is going to place an order large enough to make it a show and then ask around and if she gets enough people she will have a show. Talk about GREAT!

I owe it to you Kimberly for starting this thread because each time I saw the subject Get on the phone....and write it down I would say OH Ya! I have to do that. Now I can say I did it and I survived.

Thanks ladies for letting me ramble. Now back to the regular broadcast :)

thanks for sharing
i have been thinking for some time now about starting a lead binder
my plan is too glue stick slips onto lined paper and place in binder, this way i could keep notes on each call
and have all my sheets divided by the month so at the beginning of each month i know who to call
may just have to get a bigger one so that I can use the orderforms I get at the shows
rebecca
this would be a good way to try to those file sales slips, just 3 hole punch

if what i have planned doesnt work i'll really have to try the biab :)

I would also like to get a few more tabbed dividers so that I can put recruit leads and current/past hosts in their own spot to find them more rapidly.
kimberly
try using the different coloured 4x6 cards one colour for host and one for recruits then they can all be together :)

tpchefrebecca said:
Kimberly,

I did just do it today! I do have a box that I have everyone in, but I think I may just have to get a bigger one so that I can use the orderforms I get at the shows. I am still not sure how I am going to file everything, but at least I called everyone. I got a lot of machines and left messages with someone other than the guest, but at least I did it. I did however confirm two catalog shows for the fall so that was good.

I did have good karma though. As I was finishing up the calls tonight I got a call from a lady that I met at a 3-day fair I did in July. She was extremely nice and we talked for about 20 minutes. She just moved from CA like I did and is going to place an order large enough to make it a show and then ask around and if she gets enough people she will have a show. Talk about GREAT!

I owe it to you Kimberly for starting this thread because each time I saw the subject Get on the phone....and write it down I would say OH Ya! I have to do that. Now I can say I did it and I survived.

Thanks ladies for letting me ramble. Now back to the regular broadcast :)
YEAH REBECCA! Good for you! And congratulations on the great lead/show in the making. Remember too that you have no way of gauging what impact the calls you made today will have, so don't judge your "success" in terms of whether or not you booked shows. You planted seeds and those take time to grow!

You're all so inspiring to me. I'm working on getting out of a "slump." My business was really pretty consistent and my show schedule was about where I wanted it through June. July and August have been tough for me. And that has been so hard because I came back from Conference so excited and motivated, but my shows have just not been panning out. I'm not giving up, though, and I'm trying to make those contacts every day.

I'm glad to see that there are other people still trying to find out the right system to manage all their phone calls and contacts. I'm trying to use my Pampered Partner program to keep track of phone calls and discussions with hosts, guests and recruit leads, just so it's all in one place.

I have often struggled with similar problems when trying to decide how to manage my calendar. I've taken time management classes and trainings, and while I come away with some great ideas, I've also learned that I need a system that works for ME. Sometimes that means incorporating several different ideas... and I still change it a bit here and there as time goes by.

I think the most important thing right now is that we all make those contacts and those calls! And to know that we're not in this alone keeps me going!

My spirits are lifted a bit. My husband and I went overnight to a nice hotel and had a day of exercise, heat and fun. I returned home about 9p.m. Got on the phone and made 7 calls of past guests from Feb and March show. Left 6 messages but on the 7th call go a real person and she was happy to book a catalog show for Sept. She said she is needing SS cookware. I was new at the time I did her party and told her I had not asked people what their wish list items were. I was trying to match up guests with specials they would be able to benefit from. Which are her favorite items? I also asked how her products were working for her. It was a quick conversation and I set a date and time to drop off her hostess packet. This part also helps me be familiar with her location in the event it is a cooking show. I also, did what my new director suggested. I said not " I met you at Lana's show" but "I am a friend of Lana's". I also had to be careful when I told people I met them at a show, to look and make sure that they weren't an "outside order" that I had actually never met.
I was really trying to improve my Aug. since I have one hostess for Aug. 18th that I have not been able to connect with since I dropped off her hostess packet. She is supposed to have a cooking show and so far, I don't know if she invited guests etc. I told her in an e-mail Friday that we were doing the Warm Nutty Caramel Brownies. I have called her at her home # about 3 times, work # twice, and e-mailed her at 2 different addresses twice--and nothing. My messages have been upbeat but making it clear I need to talk with her about her show. Sooo, a catalog show booking from phone calling makes me happy. Also, my Aug 23 show responded to my first e-mail, invited 34 people by website immediately and 7 are already attending. Yeah for that.
I think keeping track is a great idea. Kimberly, it really is working. I did my calls, mostly message machines, in 45 minutes and had a result. Maybe my messages will make the 1 yes in 7 be even higher.

Last edited:
Don't get down about the summer. It has stunk for me too. I am trying not to take it personally. I had two catalog and one cooking show in July, one of the catalog shows I basically begged an old friend to do, and they were all at the end of the month so I submitted them in August... so I got a big whopping $0 in commission in July! For August I have those shows officially that will be on my statement, then I did a show yesterday (which ought to be close to or over $1K, it was at $960 when I left the host's house). I have one more scheduled for this Wed. but I have a feeling it will not hold. Summer is just hard, no matter how jazzed up you get from conference, the fact is that people are in vacation mode.

But September, I am excited for. I have 7 cooking shows (actually 8 but one I"m not holding my breath on) and I think either 4 or 5 catalog shows. This is the most cooking shows i"ve ever had in a month and I have been trying to work my business since we got to Colorado last February, doing vendor fairs and being in contact with all my customers. I think it just also takes time, and I am hoping that this flurry of bookings for September generates lots of future bookings through the fall/winter season for me.

I am debating doing morning after calls today from my show yesterday--I certainly don't want to be pushy but I guess if I just call to thank everyone again and let them know I enjoyed meeting them, there's no harm in that.

Do you call everybody that you have a slip on? Most of mine don't completely fill out the slips. I don't know many people so I have to try to get some shows generated.

mikaela said:
Do you call everybody that you have a slip on? Most of mine don't completely fill out the slips. I don't know many people so I have to try to get some shows generated.
I've been calling all the people I have slips on (and if you have customers in your system but don't have a slip for htem, create one), and I keep them somewhere in the file to be called unless they have told me they are not interested in a show and dont' want me to update them in the future as new products are revealed. Frankly though if they are a customer, you can still call them for customer care (like around the times their warranties expire). If you dont' have a lot of leads, see if you can't do a vendor fair somewhere... there should be some fall bazaars pretty soon with lots of opportunities to rent a both.

Humour me and tell me a few things
1) who are you calling? Past customers? How far past?
2) What are you saying to these people?

I am in an awkward spot. I have no shows scheduled until October. I am in a financially challenging place where I either make PC work or I have to go back to teaching. My husband has challenged me to make PC work and is willing to do his part to make sure I have the time I need to do the work. HELP!!!

friday said:
Humour me and tell me a few things
1) who are you calling? Past customers? How far past?
2) What are you saying to these people?

I am in an awkward spot. I have no shows scheduled until October. I am in a financially challenging place where I either make PC work or I have to go back to teaching. My husband has challenged me to make PC work and is willing to do his part to make sure I have the time I need to do the work. HELP!!!

the short answer is I am calling everyone. The long answer... I only started my business last November and really didn't get going until late December/early January, then I moved in February and had to get things established out here. It was a slow start for me. What really helped me get things going was asking a lot of contacts who are not local to host catalog shows. Yes, they don't have as high of sales, but you can make up for that with volume, and I've been good about calling all those catalog show customers to see if they want to book shows. I have recruited one consultant that way, and I have a second who is going to sign (knock on wood) in the next month. So leave no rock unturned! I hear you about going back to work, I am in a similar situation myself and recently debated taking a full time job... decided I wanted to work this a little longer and see how big I can make it. Anyway, back to your question, I am calling first all my former hostesses, then customers, and then non-customer leads (I have done a couple of vendor fairs where I've collected names).

I am telling people something along the lines of "Hi, this is Kim with Pampered Chef (I'll say "I met you at..." if it is someone I haven't spoken with or connected with in awhile). How is your summer going? Can you believe it's already August? I wanted to let you know that PC has a new catalog coming out September first and I am so excited about it. We have 60 new products, including a beautiful stainless steel cookware line. I got to see all the new products at our recent national conference and they are fantastic. To celebrate the new cookware line, we have a wonderful special for September hosts, 60% off one piece or SET of cookware. Doesn't that sound great? " Then gauge where things are going and I'll ask if they would like to set up a fun and easy party in September. If they aren't biting at that I'll let them know that we have other great specials in the fall months and it is a great time to host a party b/c people are in shopping mode, and ask what month would work better for them. If I get someone's machine I leave an abreviated version of the above.

If you get people saying they are too busy to host a show, you can tell them that you'll post their invites and do the grocery shopping (I do this, just collect the money from them up front for the groceries and stamps). If they're still too busy, ask them if a catalog/online show might work better for them.

Hope that helps. Another tip I can share (that I'm not good about remembering to do) is to ask people for referals.

What is "Get on the Phone... and Write It Down!" all about?

"Get on the Phone... and Write It Down!" is a training program designed to help Pampered Chef consultants improve their phone skills and organization. It provides tips and strategies for effectively communicating with customers and keeping track of important information.

Is this program only for consultants who are new to Pampered Chef?

No, "Get on the Phone... and Write It Down!" is beneficial for both new and experienced consultants. It offers valuable techniques for improving customer interactions and staying organized, regardless of how long you have been with the company.

Do I need any special equipment to participate in this training program?

No, all you need is a phone and something to write on! "Get on the Phone... and Write It Down!" focuses on using basic tools and techniques to improve your phone skills and organization.

How long is the "Get on the Phone... and Write It Down!" program?

The program consists of 3 training modules, each lasting approximately 30 minutes. It is recommended to complete one module per week to fully absorb the information and practice the skills learned.

Will this program help me increase my sales and bookings?

Yes, "Get on the Phone... and Write It Down!" provides valuable tips and strategies for effectively communicating with customers and keeping track of important information. By implementing these techniques, you can improve your customer interactions and increase your sales and bookings.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Bren706
  • Bren706
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Bren706
  • kcmckay
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies