• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Gall Bladder Attack Relief: My Experience with Gall Bladder Removal

if the gallbladder is enlarged from stones. If you don't have any symptoms and the ultrasound is normal then it is probably just a cyst and not your gallbladder.
pampchefrhondab
Anyone ever had their gall bladder out? I'm having the second attack in a week tonight. I'm scheduled to get an ultra sound of my gall bladder and pancrease this week - I saw the Dr. on Wed. It hurts so bad I can't get comfortable! It is worse then the last time. Please pray it goes away for me tonight so I can get some sleep. I will call the Dr. in the morning.

I still have mine - but I did pass a gall stone. It felt like I had severe indigestion coupled with a tight, iron band wrapped about my torso. Of course, by the time I got to the ER with it, the *&^%#! episode was over and they sent me home, but with some very, very good painkillers. The Kat Lady says I was very entertaining.You can read about my adventure http://www.jrmanning.com/2006/05/30/new-jobs-ambulances/.

Last edited:
Rhonda you have my sympathy and prayers. Back in 1976, I had an attack
and it was so painful I could hardly reach for the phone to have my brother
come to my rescue and take me to the hospital. It was worse than child
birth pains.

good luck.. I had my gallbladder out this past August. I was in and out of the hospital in about 5 hours I think.. would have been shorter stay but I ended up getting water in my lungs and they kept me until my oxygen stats were higher. I had a great surgeon and recovery wasn't bad at all. I even was on my own with my 3 and 1 1/2 yr olds by about 5 days later. Although it would have been better if I had help, I don't think you are supposed to lift more than 10 pounds (?) I wish you luck, I have 4 scars, three accross my stomach and one in my bellybutton. Hope all goes well.. My attacks were bad then finally they put me in the hospital with a trip to the ER by ambulance.. then surgery a few days later. The kicker was some Peanut M&M's , that set off the final attack.. so stay away from high fat foods, especially peanuts!
Best wishes, you're in my thoughts

WARNING! COULD BE TMI!!!

Had mine out October 16th of last year. Was in a LOT of pain. Went to an Urgent Care Center on a Tuesday and they just said my white blood cells were off. Made me drink some nasty numbing stuff which didn't make me feel better. Sent me to ER and they did a multitude of tests. Found nothing. Gave me strong drugs! YEA! Sent me home and told me to come back to clinic for a Hydascan of my gallbladder. Went in my ejection rate (rate of emptying) was like 7% (Normal over 20%) They sent scans to my dr. (on Friday) who said I should probably go see a surgeon to see what he says. Went to see surgeon on Monday. Surgeon said he didn't trust the low test results because the hosputal had given me drugs that may have altered the results. Made me do a 2nd scan. Did that on Thursday. He called me the very next morning and my results were like 4%. He basically apologized and scheduled me for surgery on Tuesday. All this crap took 2 weeks!!! RIDICULOUS!!!
On top of all that, my incision became VERY infected and this was right about the time of the staph scare. My belly was red, hot and swollen and spread so much it was as big as my two hands plus some put together. Dr. was a joke. He told me over the phone how to drain in instead of him doing his job and doing it for me! My friend (and my consultant) who is a nurse took care of it for me. Then I had to go back to the dr. and he cut my incision open around my belly button incision to finish draining it and packed it. It was so incredibly disgusting. Sorry if this was TMI for everyone. I have 4 small scars from it with the belly button one the biggest, obviously. Took a very long time for me to heal completely!!!

I sure hope you feel better soon! If you believe it is your gallbladder ASK FOR A HYDASCAN! I didn't have any gallstones and it is possible to have pain without them. The only true test is the hydascan. Untrasound did not reveal anything. The only thing it would show is if there are gallstones and you might not have them!

Last edited:
I had my 1st gall bladder attack when my DS was 7 weeks old 6 yrs ago. Went to the ER cause I was unsure of the pain. Didnt have another attack till i was 9 months prego with #2, then 1 yr after having DD I started having pains constantly, it was horrible. I went to the dr and he said I needed it out and that if I didnt get it out it could cause pancreatitis so I got it out, the surgery wasnt bad at all. One thing I did regret was not getting any pain killers and my DH had to leave to look for us a house, so we could move,the very next day so I was home with 2 kids by myself. Wasnt fun.

Hi Rhonda!

In 2000, my gallbladder was removed. It was a great experience! I write that because I had pain for several months. I kept telling myself I was just getting older and that sometimes pain just happens. I finally decided, it just was not normal. As soon as I told my Gastroenterologist my symptoms, she said it sounded like my gallbladder. I had an MRI and CAT Scan and the diagnosis was confirmed.

I did not realize how bad I truly felt until I started feeling better. I had Laparoscopic surgery so it was done outpatient. Within one week, I felt so much better.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

Lisa

Hi Rhonda! Ouch, do I feel your pain. In December 2005, I had my twins by c-section only to have an emergency appendectomy 12 days later (on Christmas Eve, go figure). Then three months later I was at a very good friend's wedding on a party cruise, out in the middle of a bay, and had a gall bladder attack. I didn't know at the time what it was, and I was miserable...basically spent half the time curled up on the floor in a corner of a bathroom on the boat. I was very grateful to see it was a clean boat! Since we didn't have the kids with us, thankfully, all I could do was wait til the cruise boat docked again and then crawl into my bed back at the hotel. Woke up just fine the next day. A week later it happened again, and I was doubled over from the pain. The ER crew handled me with kid gloves (I used to work at the hospital here in town so I know quite a few of the staff there!) and said after reviewing my scans and tests that it needed to come out but it wasn't an "emergency." We scheduled the surgery for a week later and I was placed on a low-fat, low-salt diet for that week...since it's often food that triggers the attack, I did ok for that week. Had the surgery in outpatient and was released the same day. The incisions from laparoscopic procedures aren't too bad, but after having the c-section and the appendectomy I was wishing they could have just put in a zipper instead.
My advice? Just keep the incisions clean and dry and you'll do just fine. And don't discount the beauty of pain meds...I tried to be the "strong" type and not need them, and in reality I should have just used them for a few days and tapered them off like any normal person would. Take care and good luck with everything!!!

I will not go into all the gory details of my gall bladder experience. I will tell you that you will feel much better when it is over. I will tell you to have things in line for your family just in case the Laporcsopic surgery does not go well and you require the fuul surgery. It does not happen often but in my case it did and we were not prepared.

I do still have occasional simmilar pain if I have been eating junky greasy food or alot of caffene but lots of water helps.

ETA: when they tell you to go on a Low fat diet they actually mean NO fat! I tried to get more details and all they would say at my first ER trip was LOW FAT. Well.... I cut back best I knew but ended up back in the hospital 2 nights later. They finally sent me home with a print out of things I couls eat.

Last edited:
I wish you the best in recovery and hope you feel better soon, when I was ill it was nice to visit this site and read what was happenin around the pc world!

I had attacks for THREE years and no one knew what it was. I got diagnosed with acid reflux and I was on previcid (sp?) Finally they said "humm lets do an altrasound" That's when they found that my gull bladder was full of stones!! They scheduled the surgery two days later and it was such a relief! I had three small incisions, now you can barely see them. My attacks started shortly after I had my daughter.

Well I ended up going to the ER last night at 1 a.m. (my poor husband)! They ran blood tests on my liver and a CBC. They were fine (thank God). They gave me an IV w/Morfine (sp?) - wow did that do the trick! I told the Dr. I was already scheduled for an ultra-sound. He told me to call first thing in the morning and get in today. I had my ultra-sound done and have a large gallbladder stone! I would have had to wait to hear the news from my Dr., but the tech. was a friend of the family:)!

Now I'm just waiting to hear from my Dr. He will have to refer me to a surgeon. I hope to wait for surgery until the week after the 4th of July since my DH is on vacation that week, but I don't know if they will want me to wait that long. I won't be having surgery this week since my DD graduation party is Saturday!

Thank you so much for all of your advice everyone. I hope I can have the "easy" surgery! My DM had hers out when she was 31 and had a horrible time - almost died from infection!

I could use all of your prayers!

Thank you,

My roomate had gall bladder attacks right about the time I signed ... I did my first show on about 2 hours of sleep.He had cruddy insurance and when an ultrasound and MRI didn't show stones, he finally saw a surgeon, who didn't bother with the tests and removed it pronto.I forget the name of it, but they shoot dye into it the gall bladder to check its function ... INSIST ON THIS TEST if the Ultrasound shows nothing!Even if you don't have stones you can still have SLUDGE which can gum up the works ... and even if you don't have a gall bladder you can still have stones lodged in your ducts!

Ditto what Di said! I had my gall bladder out in May of 2007 (Mother's Day weekend...) but had been having chronic problems for years. Because ultrasounds didn't show any stones, no one thoguht it was my gb. Instead, I was told it was part of my IBS issues (I believe that is the term docs use when they just don't know what is wrong with you!). Finally, the last attack was bad enough that I wound up in the ER and the doctor and surgeon finally decided that there was way too much pain involved for it to be IBS related. They did the scan to test the function of the gb, which is supposed to release bile into your food for easier digestion, and mine had pretty much stopped doing that...had it out and am very happy to say I have not had that kind of pain since!

Oh wow. Lots of people with gallbladder issues. I'm glad everyone got it/is getting it addressed because you DON'T want to go through what my father-in-law just did. You all seem more sensible than him (oh man, he is the MOST stubborn person I know), but he basically ignored the pain and basically ruptured his gallbladder, THEN lived with that pain for a few days. It led to sepsis (it basically poisoned his entire body...blood, lungs, etc) and he was in the ICU for 10 days where he was on a ventilator for almost all of it. He's finally in a rehab hospital and will likely go to another step-down facility after that.

So, the moral of the story is don't ignore that kind of pain and get it checked out, as all of you did. Bad, bad stuff can happen if it goes untreated.

I had mine taken out years ago. They were able to do it laparoscopically. They kept me overnight because I'm diabetic, but I felt fine. Didn't even use the magic morphine button once. I felt sooooo much better afterwards.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I still have mine - but I did pass a gall stone. It felt like I had severe indigestion coupled with a tight, iron band wrapped about my torso. Of course, by the time I got to the ER with it, the *&^%#! episode was over and they sent me home, but with some very, very good painkillers. The Kat Lady says I was very entertaining.You can read about my adventure http://www.jrmanning.com/2006/05/30/new-jobs-ambulances/.

And that's any different from how you are when sober, how? :p :D ;)

When I went in during my gall bladder attack they said I was to young. I was 23 at the time but then they said since I had a family history and I just had a baby then I was more prone to them.

pampchefrhondab said:
Well I ended up going to the ER last night at 1 a.m. (my poor husband)! They ran blood tests on my liver and a CBC. They were fine (thank God). They gave me an IV w/Morfine (sp?) - wow did that do the trick! I told the Dr. I was already scheduled for an ultra-sound. He told me to call first thing in the morning and get in today. I had my ultra-sound done and have a large gallbladder stone! I would have had to wait to hear the news from my Dr., but the tech. was a friend of the family:)!

Now I'm just waiting to hear from my Dr. He will have to refer me to a surgeon. I hope to wait for surgery until the week after the 4th of July since my DH is on vacation that week, but I don't know if they will want me to wait that long. I won't be having surgery this week since my DD graduation party is Saturday!

Thank you so much for all of your advice everyone. I hope I can have the "easy" surgery! My DM had hers out when she was 31 and had a horrible time - almost died from infection!

I could use all of your prayers!

Thank you,
Miss Rhonda, I'm so sorry that you are full of rocks! :) (kidding, I was hoping if I made you laugh it would take your mind of any pain!)

I will be praying for you- and keep your thoughts positive! No infections for you!!! I was engaged to a guy that had to have his gallblader out, and my grandmother recently had hers out as well- no complications or problems.

Hugs and prayers to you!!! :)

I missed your post, Rhonda!My friend had a gall bladder that was so full of stones that they were impacted! They were still able to remove it the easier way. I hope you can get in soon ... my roomate had to wait like 3 weeks and had it done the DAY BEFORE THANKSGIVING! What a bummer for him!

I started having gallbladder problems 19 years ago when I was pregnant with my oldest son. It was so painful...I was 21 years old and had no clue. I would cry and my husband would freak out. I ate tums like crazy thinking I just had a stomach ache. Finally I had an attack at my moms when I was about 7 months along and she called my doctor...she thought I was going into labor because I was having back pains...he said "sounds like her gall bladder" bring her in. So, we drove to the emergency room...the pain was gone when I got there...it was late so they listened to the baby's heart beat and checked for labor pains, then gave me something to help me sleep and said to be back at 7 the next morning for an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed gallstones, so I had to change my diet. When my son was about 8 weeks old I had a severe attack and my husband took me to the emergency room. I was admitted and put on machines...lots of nasty tubes everywhere. I slept for an entire week. When I woke up the doctor told me we had to remove my gallbladder. I said "no way" I had to work, had a baby to take care of and there was no way I could be down for 6 or 8 weeks. He sent me to another doctor who told me if I could go for 1 month without an attack he would do the laser surgery but if I had one attack he would do emergency surgery. I watched everything I ate, worked really hard not to have an attack and the next month her removed my gallbladder. He said there were so many stones there was no liquid in the gallbladder...I had stones in the tubes also, which he was able to remove. I was in surgery for a long time. My husband had decided they had to do the regular surgery because it took 4 hours longer than they said it would. I stayed overnight in the hospital. When my husband picked me up I said "I want pizza" and so we ate pizza, went shopping, and then the next day I helped him set up our chicken houses for baby chicks to be delivered. I have felt wonderful ever since. Other people I know who have had the surgery at an older age have had trouble...my SIL had a lot of trouble. Don't be afraid of the surgery because even if it takes you longer to heal you will feel so much better when its over. Good luck I will pray for you.

I had my gallbladder taken out about a year ago. Had a few attacks during the two years prior and my Primary care doc suggested the last time to see a surgeon because with no family history to go by he wanted to have this taken care of. Saw the surgeon the following day, he scheduled me for surgery two days later. I went into outpatient hospital at 7am, had surgery at 8am (remember looking at clock as they administered the IV in the operating room then musta passed right out LOL) was going home by noon. I was a little painful that night but the next day I swear I felt like a new person. I have only 3 scars. Two on right side of rib cage and one right under the belly button. You will feel so much better once it's done. I have heard worse case scenarios before I went and had my done but I think the typical story is about the same. Will keep you in my prayers none the less :)

Related to Gall Bladder Attack Relief: My Experience with Gall Bladder Removal

1. What is a gall bladder attack?

A gall bladder attack is a sudden and intense pain in the upper right abdomen that is caused by a blockage in the bile duct or inflammation of the gall bladder. It can also cause nausea, vomiting, and fever.

2. How is a gall bladder attack treated?

The initial treatment for a gall bladder attack is usually pain medication and fasting to rest the gall bladder. If the attack is severe or recurrent, surgery to remove the gall bladder may be recommended.

3. What is the recovery process like after gall bladder removal?

The recovery process after gall bladder removal is usually quick and involves mild discomfort and some restrictions on physical activities for a few weeks. Your doctor will provide specific instructions for post-surgery care.

4. Can you still eat normally after gall bladder removal?

Yes, you can still eat normally after gall bladder removal. Your body can still digest food without a gall bladder, but you may experience some mild changes in digestion, such as more frequent bowel movements or occasional diarrhea.

5. Are there any long-term effects of gall bladder removal?

Most people do not experience any long-term effects after gall bladder removal. However, some may experience mild digestive issues or changes in bowel habits. It is important to follow a healthy diet and lifestyle to prevent any complications.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• whiteyteresa
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
legacypc46
Replies
Views
raebates
  • pamperedbecky
  • General Chat
Replies