• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Prayers for My Fil (And a Lesson)

In summary, Vinnie's sepsis is very serious and he has a lot of medical equipment attached to him in the ICU. He's on a ventilator and has a lot of drugs being pumped into him. They're trying to see if he can breathe on his own, but it's a day-by-day thing.
pamperedbecky
I'd appreciate it if you could keep my FIL in your thoughts and prayers. He's been in the ICU since Monday with sepsis. I don't know much about it other than info from the doctors and wikipedia. It's a pretty serious case. He's on a ventilator and has who knows how many drugs being pumped into him.

It got this bad because he didn't go get himself checked out by the doctor when he first had pain. Last week, he has various pains that turned out to be his gallbladder. He never got it checked out and like a typical male (and he's a particularly stubborn one!), put off the pain. Well, what basically happened is his gallbladder ruptured, richocheted (sp?) a gall stone into other internal organs and infection spread EVERYWHERE. They estimated this happened THURSDAY. He finally let my MIL call 911 on Monday morning when he couldn't even move. Geez. If he just would have gotten this checked out last week!!! That's why I'm bringing it up....definitely get things checked out when anything weird is going on. If he would have done that, he wouldn't be in the ICU. They're concerned about his lung function the most. They're trying to see if he can breathe on his own. He basically poisoned himself with all this infection, including his blood, just because he waited so dang long. I just hope he's ok. It's a day by day thing. The doctors really can't really give much of a prognosis at this point.

If you could keep my MIL in your thoughts too. She seems to be holding up, but is THE biggest worry wart with high blood pressure, rhematoid arthritis and a bunch of other health issues herself, so I know this is taking a toll on her too.

Thanks in advance. And don't let any kind of pain go unaddressed! I know I won't!

Becky...WOW! Stubborn men, huh? I pray that God touches his body and helps him to fight the infection and that he bounces back! You never know when something will turn serious....so I agree- you need to go to the dr. when something's going on!

Thank you, Kelly.:)

Your family is my thoughts and prayers.

Oh Becky, I'm so sorry. I'll keep Vinnie's parents in my prayers. I hope he's able to bounce back fully from this.

prayers coming your way Becky.....

Prayers to your dad and family!

I will be praying for all of you.

Thanks, everyone!

So here's an update:

Basically, they need to assess his lung functioning and they do this by removing his breathing tube and see if he can breathe on his own. I think to even think about getting out of ICU, they'd like him to breathe on his own for an hour. Well, every time they try to remove the tube, they have to wake him up, then he freaks out and gets violent. Literally he needs 3-4 nurses/doctors to hold him down because he tries to rip out the tube. I've heard they're extremely painful and maybe this is somewhat of a good sign that he's aware enough to know that thing hurts like hell. But that's really the most reaction they get out of him.

He gets so worked up and basically seems to have a panic attack that he hyperventilates and gets too much CO2 in his blood (I forget what they called it, but it throws levels off in his blood). And his pulse just skyrockets. It was 160 today after one episode. He just cannot calm down by himself, so then they have to sedate him and he basically passes out again. This has happened day after day. Tomorrow they'll be trying the same thing.

I don't know if anyone is familiar with sepsis, but I'm getting this info 3rd hand through my brother-in-law. Hopefully I have it all correct.

Thanks again for all your prayers!

so sorry to hear this Becky. Prayers coming your way.

I'm so sorry. I'll keep him (and the rest of you) in prayer.

Just saw this Becky, praying that he gets well. You're getting it through the grapevine but it sounds pretty correct.I hope they can wake him up soon and keep him calm. It is hard for someone in the hospital for days that has been out and have no knowledge of why they have all these tubes and IVs and stuff in them. :(

Oh, Becky, I'm so sorry to hear that you're dealing with this! Your dad will be in my prayers!

Thanks, guys!

(Actually it's my father-in-law, but still.....) My DH had to go out of town yesterday for work and comes back late tonight (his *&^* plane is already delayed) so luckily he didnt have to be gone for too long. And of course being home with the kids doesn't give me much chance to get to the hospital, but luckily DH has an older and younger brother. HIs younger brother has been with their mom constantly both at the hospital and at home, which is awesome.

Hopefully I'll have more promising updates tomorrow, but it's been pretty much the same routine over the last couple days. Thanks again!!

Becky, I don't know how I missed this earlier today. Prayers said!

You and your family are in my prayers.

Your family is in my prayers Becky. {{{hugs}}}

Becky I will be praying for your FIL and MIL and for you and DH and everyone involved! I'll pray for healing for your fil as well!

Sending prayer to you and your family Becky.

OMG Becky, I am soo sorry to hear this! Sending Prayers and hugs your way to your DH, kids and his family!

Sending prayers for you and your family.

Oh my goodness Becky ~ LOTS of prayers coming your family's way ~

Thanks again everyone. Things are looking better. HIs blood work is coming back pretty good with the infection getting less and less. They were finally able to remove the breathing tube and he's breathing on his own. He's in a LOT of pain and isn't all that coherent. It's gotten better today and he knows he's in the hospital. Assessing the long term effects will be the next step I assume. He still spikes a fever every so often and at one point he couldn't move his legs.

So things are getting a little better, but we all want to know the long term effects of everything. He's still in the ICU.

Thanks for the update Becky! I will certainly continue to pray for him! :)

Prayers for your FIL and the rest of the family. Continue to keep us posted, please.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and prayers.

Just a quick update. MY father-in-law is doing MUCH better. He's actually amazed the doctors with how well he's doing considering how severe his case of sepsis was. He got out of the ICU yesterday (was there a total of 10 days and DH was told he was the most severe case in the ICU) and is now on a regular floor.

He's starting to eat regular food again. He's much more coherent but still has moments of confusion. It's hard to say what's from the major drugs he's been on and what's part of recovery....or both. Sometimes it's kind of humorous what comes out of his mouth. So, at times he's out of it, but he knows all his kids names and all the grandkids (they have 5). We finally got to bring our 2 kids by the hospital today and that really makes my FIL happy. They're talking about a rehab facility after this and my brother-in-law (the youngest of the three boys and is an entertainment attorney and Columbia College instructor in Chicago) is going to move home for the summer to help out his dad (and mom!).

So, it's incredibly good news considering where he was at 7-10 days ago. Thanks again!!

AWESOME news Becky! Thanks for updating us.:)

Becky, PRAISE the Lord!

I am so glad he is healing and on the road to normal! It's amazing how much good a dose of grandchildren does a grandparent! :)

Thanks for the update...

Becky!

That is great news! The Lord definately heard MANY prayers on his behalf! Thank you Lord for answering them! I pray that he continues to amaze the drs...tell them that's the power of prayer!

1. What is sepsis and how serious is it?

Sepsis is a serious condition in which the body has a severe response to an infection. It can lead to tissue damage, organ failure, and even death if not treated promptly.

2. How did the individual's gallbladder issue turn into sepsis?

The individual's gallbladder ruptured, causing a gallstone to spread infection to other internal organs. This infection then spread throughout the body, leading to sepsis.

3. Why didn't the individual seek medical attention earlier?

The individual ignored the pain and put off going to the doctor, which ultimately led to the severe infection and sepsis. This is a reminder to always seek medical attention when experiencing any unusual or persistent symptoms.

4. What is the current state of the individual's health and what are the doctors concerned about?

The individual is in the ICU and on a ventilator. The doctors are most concerned about his lung function, as the infection has spread to his blood and throughout his body.

5. How is the individual's family coping with the situation?

The individual's family, particularly his spouse, is understandably worried and stressed. She has her own health issues to manage, so this situation is taking a toll on her as well. It is important to keep the family in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Fluffy215
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • Crystal Patton
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
candiejayne
  • janetupnorth