• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fundraiser Items Tax Deductible?

In summary, the answer to this question is that items purchased at a fundraiser are not tax deductible.
scottcooks
Gold Member
I've never been asked this before. I don't THINK so, but what do you know? The person wonders if items purchased at a fundraiser are tax-deductible. I think the answer is NO. Is there any percentage of it that is tax-deductible?:confused:

No, I don't think so. What I've been told is that is goes by the end user. So if the end user is a tax exempt organization, then the order would be tax exempt.

If it is an individual person ordering - they are not tax exempt even if the order is for a fundraiser.

HTH!
Lisa

No they aren't tax deductible. Even items you buy at a silent auction at least in the State of Florida aren't tax deductible unless you paid more than the value of the product you are getting. They would have to make a monetary donation directly to the organization for it to be tax deductible.

Got it. With commission and such, it seemed pretty far "off".

Its only tax deductible if they pay more than what the item is worth. So if an item has a retail value of $25 and someone pays $35 at a fundraiser for it, then they would be able to deduct $10 on their taxes.

I did a fundraiser for a non-profit and I had a hard time making chairperson understand, YES you do need to have guests pay tax. The way I finally got her to get it was.......

When you go to store for your own uses you MUST pay tax on the purchases.

When you go to store and purchase things for the Non-profits use, then no you do not pay tax.

So the only way there's no tax, is if the Non-profit is purchasing things for their use. But guests of the fundraiser, must pay tax on items.

HTH

Lisa

I may be reading the question wrong but I read it as asking if they can make a tax deduction on their taxes at the end of the year, not whether or not they pay state/local tax on the purchase.
If its for their taxes at the end of the year when they file with the IRS then they can only deduct the amount the exceeds the value of the item they purchased (as stated in #5 above)
This is the link to the IRS pub in regards to this: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf page 3 example 1 on right side of page shows details. If its in regards to state/local tax on purchase then yes each guest must pay sales tax on the items.
Non profit organizations are exempt from tax on items they purchase and use themselves not on items they purchase to sell for fundraising. So if "Church A" buys a box of 25 chocolates for $25 and plan to sell them for $1 each then at the time of purchase they would pay $25 + sales tax but if "Church A" bought the same box of chocolates to give to the youth in their church to eat after service then they would pay $25 and no tax.

I understood it as the host telling guests "whatever you buy is tax deductible because it's for a fundraiser". NO - not true.

1. Are fundraiser items from Pampered Chef tax deductible?

Yes, fundraiser items from Pampered Chef are tax deductible as long as the organization hosting the fundraiser is a qualified nonprofit organization. This means that the organization has been granted tax-exempt status by the IRS.

2. How much of my purchase price is tax deductible?

The tax deductible portion of your purchase price is equal to the amount of the purchase price that exceeds the fair market value of the item. For example, if you purchase a $50 item and its fair market value is $30, then $20 would be tax deductible.

3. Can I claim my tax deduction for fundraiser items on my personal taxes?

No, tax deductions for fundraiser items can only be claimed if you itemize your deductions on your federal income tax return. If you do not itemize, you will not be able to claim the deduction.

4. What documentation do I need to claim my tax deduction for fundraiser items?

You will need a receipt or other proof of purchase from Pampered Chef showing the amount you paid for the fundraiser item. You may also need to provide a written acknowledgement from the organization hosting the fundraiser stating the fair market value of the item.

5. Can I claim a tax deduction for shipping and handling fees on fundraiser items?

Yes, shipping and handling fees for fundraiser items are tax deductible as long as they are included in the total purchase price of the item. If the fees are listed separately, they are not tax deductible.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chef Bobby
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Chef Bobby
  • Chef Bobby
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Jess_K
  • maryskitchen