• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sales Tax on Fundraisers for Tax Exempt Agencies

In summary, the sales tax rate for fundraisers for tax exempt agencies varies by location. Not all fundraisers for tax exempt agencies are exempt from sales tax, so it is best to consult with your local tax authority. To obtain a tax exemption certificate, contact the tax exempt agency you are fundraising for. In most cases, sales tax does not need to be collected from attendees, but it may be required for certain taxable items. Reporting sales tax may also be necessary depending on the items being sold and the exemption status of the event. It is important to consult with your local tax authority for specific reporting requirements.
maryskitchen
Gold Member
I am a new consultant and doing my first fundraiser. It is for my mother's church. Do church groups and other tax exempt agencies pay sales tax? If not, what do I need to do to make sure the company does not charge them?

Sales tax laws vary from state to state. The best thing to do is contact your state sales tax department. You can tell them what you are doing and where. If it is tax exempt, they will give you the information that is needed.

Or call HO. I would expect the financial department to know how to handle it for this specific thing. I would bet it would confuse the state govt dept.

The customers are not tax exempt, only the organization. The chairperson's 60% item doesn't fall under the organization's tax exempt status either. PC does not withhold taxes from the fundraiser's check. So under a normal fundraiser, the tax exempt status of the organization is not an issue for you.The only way that the tax exempt status would apply is if the organization itself is making a purchase from PC. If that's the case, contact PC for guidance.

Sheila is correct! I was just going to post it. I found out the hard way. customers are not tax exempt. only if the church itself is purchasing items.
l

Great! That answers my question. Thanks so much!

1. What is the sales tax rate for fundraisers for tax exempt agencies?

The sales tax rate for fundraisers for tax exempt agencies varies depending on the location of the event. It is important to check with your local tax authority to determine the specific tax rate for your area.

2. Are all fundraisers for tax exempt agencies exempt from sales tax?

No, not all fundraisers for tax exempt agencies are exempt from sales tax. In some states, certain types of fundraising events may still be subject to sales tax. It is best to consult with your local tax authority to determine if your fundraiser is exempt or not.

3. How do I obtain a tax exemption certificate for my fundraiser?

To obtain a tax exemption certificate for your fundraiser, you will need to contact the tax exempt agency you are fundraising for. They will be able to provide you with the necessary documentation to show that your event is exempt from sales tax.

4. Do I need to collect sales tax from attendees at my fundraiser for a tax exempt agency?

In most cases, no, you do not need to collect sales tax from attendees at your fundraiser for a tax exempt agency. However, if you are selling taxable items at your event, such as merchandise or food and beverages, you may be required to collect sales tax on those items. It is important to check with your local tax authority to determine if any items you are selling are subject to sales tax.

5. Do I need to report sales tax on my fundraiser for a tax exempt agency?

In some cases, yes, you may still be required to report sales tax on your fundraiser for a tax exempt agency. This typically applies if you are selling taxable items at your event. However, if your event is fully exempt from sales tax, you may not need to report any sales tax. It is important to consult with your local tax authority to determine your reporting obligations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PCSarahjm
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
PCSarahjm
  • jrny2001
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
Replies