• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Four Cheese Garden Pizza - Problems

I'm not sure what you mean. I have never tried it. You have to be careful not to push too hard. I use the waffle blade for my tomatoes and zucchini, and I usually have to slice them in half lengthwise first to get them to fit in the food holder. I don't know if this helps at all... just my experience with it this week... sorryYou have to go kind of fast. If you go too slowly,
pregochef
So I made the 4-cheese garden pizza for my show last week, and I have another request for it this coming Friday (which I ok'd before I made it for the first show). I ran into some "hurdles" so to speak. Can anyone give me pointers on it?

My first hurdle - I couldn't get the crust to fit all the way to the edge of the stone (large bar pan)

My second hurdle - the zucchini & tomatoes did not cut easily in the mandoline (I have the regular crinkle cutter, so I may end up just using the crinkle cutter to manually cut the zucchini, and then use a forged-cutlery knife for the tomatoes).

My third hurdle - the crust was so hard that I couldn't cut it with the pizza cutter, and even if it wasn't, the edges were too hard to cut because of the lip of the pan. I even tried using my forged cutlery 5" knife, and that wasn't even working well.

To save me from future embarassment at this week's show. Does anyone have any words of advice?

What dough did you use? PC dough or refrigerated pizza dough?If you use refrigerated dough, use two of them. One will fit the medium bar pan easily. Spray your stoneware first if it is not seasoned, or use parchment paper down first so you can easily take the pizza out of the stone.You also most likely cooked it too long for the crust to be so hard.

I have a hard time with crusts fitting on the bar pan...but have been using crescent rolls now for my crusts and works much easier. Plus they don't seem to get hard and are easy to cut.

Mandoline- Make sure your veggies are cold. For some reason it seems to work easier for me.
Practice at home with the mandoline. It took me awhile to get use to it and learn how to work it.

I may be able to help with two of your issues.1) Do you have a Baker's Roller? That's what I usually use to get the crust on things all the way to the edge. It works especially well if I have to "stretch" it to fit.2) As for cutting to the edge in the Bar Pan with the Pizza Cutter--use the Mini Serving Spatula to lift the edge. This will allow you to cut right through it.

First - I don't ever roll a crust in front of guests. :D It takes me way to long & it looks awkward when I try to do it. I have that part done ahead of time. Are you using the refrigerated pizza crust? I have to really stretch that crust to make it fit, which is why I do the way I mentioned above.

Second - I would do the tomatoes with the forged cutlery anyway...It shows an additional product. Maybe have some of he zucchini prepped ahead of time & just do a few slices to let them see how it works.

Third - I have this trouble too with the bar pan. I end up using the edge on my mini-serving spatula to finish cutting the crust. Maybe if you took it out just a minute or two before the time says & then cut it right away. That usually helps me to keep from sawing through my crusts.

HTH!

We just did this recipe for Cook N Book on Monday night and we just used one pizza crust ... it was nice and thin but not hard... she did oil the lg bar pan first and I think that made a huge difference in spreading it... and I know we did not let it go over time during that first baking... I had never had this before and LOVED it... I don't like doing tomatoes on the Mandoline ... you just never know how they will behave... but the zuccini we did with the waffle blade and they did super... we cut them in pieces to fit two chunks in the food holder at one time... I don't know if this helps at all... just my experience with it this week... sorry

OH... make sure with the Mandoline that you are not pushing into it. I've had two customers who thought they hated it until they quit pushing too hard and now they love it

quiverfull7 said:
OH... make sure with the Mandoline that you are not pushing into it. I've had two customers who thought they hated it until they quit pushing too hard and now they love it
Good idea. And also, you do have to go kind of fast. If you go too slowly, it doesn't work as smoothly. It just takes practice. Grab a few potatoes and just practice getting the rhythym (sp?? that looks weird) down. Good luck!:)

I tell people this all the time when they purchase an Ultimate M. They need to work on getting the rhythm down right. Once they do, they'll love it.

i can't resist.... sorry...They need to work on getting the rhythm down right. Once they do, they'll love it.[/QUOTE]

I've found lots of things in life are MUCH better when you get the rhythm down right!

DON'T SHOOT ME>>>>> I just had to say it! :) I'll crawl back under my rock now! :)

I have had a "hard crust" before only b/c we forgot it was in the oven! HA!
Other than that I have never had a problem. I always use only one crust and just spread it with the Baker's Roll and stretch some by hand.

I rarely do tomatoes with the UM unless they are very firm and I always use the Vblade. I have never tried cutting zuchinni.

quiverfull7 said:
I've found lots of things in life are MUCH better when you get the rhythm down right! DON'T SHOOT ME>>>>> I just had to say it! :) I'll crawl back under my rock now! :)
Oh, Diane! :eek: :blushing: :p

<giggle> I almost posted what Diane did. But it's funnier coming from her because it's so unexpected!
:D

Oh... just WAIT til you meet me! :) I've very real! Jesus released me a LONG time ago to LOVE life and have fun! I realize I can't say those things to everyone but I figured I was somewhat safe here... hey... if you'll remember... I have 7 kids... someone asked me once if I had ever tried the rhythm method of birth control ... can you just imagine what I wanted to tell HER? :)

quiverfull7 said:
Oh... just WAIT til you meet me! :) I've very real! Jesus released me a LONG time ago to LOVE life and have fun! I realize I can't say those things to everyone but I figured I was somewhat safe here... hey... if you'll remember... I have 7 kids... someone asked me once if I had ever tried the rhythm method of birth control ... can you just imagine what I wanted to tell HER? :)

I am laughing out loud at work imagining that respond...........:D

Please give the pizza another try. I make it at a large majority of my shows and everyone loves it. Even the young children will eat the veggies!!!

chefann said:
<giggle> I almost posted what Diane did. But it's funnier coming from her because it's so unexpected!
:D

Unexpected from the woman with 7 children?????:confused:

She must know SOMETHING about rhythm!:D

Okay - Diane posted again after I started my post......so.....mine is sorta obsolete now.

No, just because most of the (please don't take this the wrong way, Diane) churchy people I know are to stuffy to make a joke like that.

please forgive that major hijack... even tho it's been loads of fun! :) don't laugh too loud or you'll end up explaining why to all your coworkers... oh well.. they may need a laugh too... laughing is SO good for you!
NOW... back to our regularly scheduled topic:
I LOVED this pizza and can't believe I had not tried it prior to this Monday night! Has anyone tried adding some chicken to it? I think my family would love it even more with some of that or some pork from the 10 min. Tenderloin...

Oh please I hope I'm NEVER perceived as stuffy... and churchy is a good decription for some people... but usually they are ones who preach at others... not reach to others ... I hope I'm mostly the reaching kind :)
which of course could reaching could lead you back to rhythm once again but that's a whole different topic than church! :) HA

***CONFESSION***

I've never had this pizza.....although I think I've seen it demo'd on a video.:eek:

:)
ChefBeckyD said:
Okay - Diane posted again after I started my post......so.....mine is sorta obsolete now.

Is the truth ever obsolete???? :) Sorry... y'all are just throwing these
out there and they are BEGGING for responses...

Have to add - if I make this pizza now, it will take on a whole new meaning to me after this thread.........probably shouldn't make it for a co-ed show.....but it might be good for a combined PC/Passion Party!:D

quiverfull7 said:
Is the truth ever obsolete???? :) Sorry... y'all are just throwing these
out there and they are BEGGING for responses...

Diane - I believe you are "in the zone" today!:balloon:

Not just this pizza... EVERY Time we use our UM's we'll be getting the giggles! Oh well... smiling and grinning without anyone knowing why always keeps folks wondering what you've been up to... oh my... that fit better with this whole hijack than I realized it would... yikes

Now when is it Diane, that you and DH are going away for a business trip? I'm thinking you are needing some time alone! :D :D :D

wink wink, nudge nudge...

Do you use a fourth cheese? I love the Three-Cheese Garden Pizza! I agree with most of the tips here, especially prep. ahead. I've done this at a couple shows, and I spread the dough ahead of time, using just one (Pillsbury) refrigerated dough (I think theirs are bigger than others). (Oh no! Please don't start comparing size!) :blushing: Also, have most of the zucchini cut ahead of time and definitely use the forged cutlery on the tomato!

ChefBeckyD said:
Now when is it Diane, that you and DH are going away for a business trip? I'm thinking you are needing some time alone! :D :D :D

November 16- 18... it's SO fun to have fun when someone else is paying for everything too! We should really practice up quite a bit before that though don't you think? So that we get the most from our free weeked?

I once got pg on one of these "all expenses paid" trips! Glad THAT won't be happening any longer!
I really must blow dry my hair!

I have noticed that the crust spreads much better if you oil the stoneware first and also let the dough sit out at room temperature for a while first. :)

Oh... I just realized that now you ALL know why I love to be under my rock... shoot... my secrets out! :)

heather223 said:
I have noticed that the crust spreads much better if you oil the stoneware first and also let the dough sit out at room temperature for a while first. :)

Okay... with the dough... do you go ahead and open the roll or leave it closed? That really is a serious question despite all the joking going on here... I really loved the pizza crust the other night and I will have to ask her if she had it out early. I know it wasn't opened up ahead of time.

pregochef said:
So I made the 4-cheese garden pizza for my show last week, and I have another request for it this coming Friday (which I ok'd before I made it for the first show). I ran into some "hurdles" so to speak. Can anyone give me pointers on it?

My first hurdle - I couldn't get the crust to fit all the way to the edge of the stone (large bar pan)

My second hurdle - the zucchini & tomatoes did not cut easily in the mandoline (I have the regular crinkle cutter, so I may end up just using the crinkle cutter to manually cut the zucchini, and then use a forged-cutlery knife for the tomatoes).

My third hurdle - the crust was so hard that I couldn't cut it with the pizza cutter, and even if it wasn't, the edges were too hard to cut because of the lip of the pan. I even tried using my forged cutlery 5" knife, and that wasn't even working well.

To save me from future embarassment at this week's show. Does anyone have any words of advice?

I've made this a few times and the crust seems to work well... there always seems to be some 'bulk' toward the ends and I utilize that to work the dough out. Just go easy with it and don't force it stretch... 'ask it' so to speak.. it should comply.

As for the U Mandoline... I've use the V blade for tomatoes (only the small plum kind so far - I slice them in half width wise, stick two in with cut side facing the blade and *swish swish swish* it's done!) and onions and I've used the crinkle blade for the zucchini... again, I do cut the zucchini down into a size that fits cut side facing the blade in the holder thingy. No problems other than the last bit of tomato always wants to 'hang out' in the blade when it's sliced everything else.

Watch the heat in the oven. The last show I did the crust wasn't getting done enough and I forgot about it until my host reminded me :blushing: ... all was well, the edges WERE hard but we chopped through them. I've made it in a variety of ovens now though and while the pizza cutter doesn't cut to the edges because of the sides on the bar pan, I've been able to use the knife or the edge of the mini-spatula.

Are you using the Pillsbury refrigerated dough? That's what I've used and it really seems to make a good pizza.

Thank you for all your help...and the laughs. My husband will be happy to know that I have to work on "rhythm" tonight...he he he.

On a serious note, I will definitely use your suggestions and I will make it on Friday. Also, as far as the dough - my hostess from last week had purchased that dough that comes in a ball-shape in a plastic bag (It's usually near the deli with other pizza crusts). Maybe that was my problem... it was the "cheap" stuff.

Thanks again.

pregochef said:
Thank you for all your help...and the laughs. My husband will be happy to know that I have to work on "rhythm" tonight...he he he.

On a serious note, I will definitely use your suggestions and I will make it on Friday. Also, as far as the dough - my hostess from last week had purchased that dough that comes in a ball-shape in a plastic bag (It's usually near the deli with other pizza crusts). Maybe that was my problem... it was the "cheap" stuff.

Thanks again.

Personally, I like controlling the situation I'm heading into (there's enough things that can go awry anyway). Once I tried that recipe at home with a specific brand of product and liked the result, I made that 'suggestion' to my host so she gets the right product at the grocery.

Now this last time, I wasn't specific about the mozzarella cheese and even after 20 minutes in the freezer it was still very soft and hard to grate... but I made the best of it anyway. I have to remember to ask her what kind she got (I can't remember) and see if there's something funky with that brand/kind/whatever, without insulting her choice of cheese, of course. ;)

lkprescott said:
Personally, I like controlling the situation I'm heading into (there's enough things that can go awry anyway). Once I tried that recipe at home with a specific brand of product and liked the result, I made that 'suggestion' to my host so she gets the right product at the grocery. Now this last time, I wasn't specific about the mozzarella cheese and even after 20 minutes in the freezer it was still very soft and hard to grate... but I made the best of it anyway. I have to remember to ask her what kind she got (I can't remember) and see if there's something funky with that brand/kind/whatever, without insulting her choice of cheese, of course. ;)
Possibly it was fresh mozzarella? You buy it usually in a deli area, or in a specialty shop. It's actually considered the "REAL" mozzarella by foodies. It would be almost impossible to grate, because it is very soft. Usually it is sliced or cubed.

When you do this do you grate most of each cheese ahead of time? I think that is what our director suggested for the time factor as well as if you have trouble grating... it's not so obvious if you only need to do a little bit. Mozerella can be crumbly and fly all over anyway so I think if I do this one... I'll do all but just a bit of cheese ahead of time. What do all of you do?

It sounds like fresh mozz... I agree and isn't the fresh kind a higher moisture level too... so it would behave differently when baking too right?

quiverfull7 said:
When you do this do you grate most of each cheese ahead of time? I think that is what our director suggested for the time factor as well as if you have trouble grating... it's not so obvious if you only need to do a little bit. Mozerella can be crumbly and fly all over anyway so I think if I do this one... I'll do all but just a bit of cheese ahead of time. What do all of you do?

I never grate Mozz cheese at a show. In fact, I tell my hosts to go ahead and get the pre-grated Mozz.!:D :eek:
I ALWAYS grate parmesan at the show. But everything I do is prepped and mostly done, so I am only grating just a small amount of what I need for the recipe in front of the guests.

ChefBeckyD said:
I never grate Mozz cheese at a show. In fact, I tell my hosts to go ahead and get the pre-grated Mozz.!:D :eek:
I ALWAYS grate parmesan at the show. But everything I do is prepped and mostly done, so I am only grating just a small amount of what I need for the recipe in front of the guests.
I do the same - get pre-grated cheese if the recipe calls for a lot, since that's what most people use anyway. When I'm using it, I'll say something like, "This is where I'm supposed to talk to you about the fantastic graters in our catalog: the Deluxe Cheese Grater, grating blade on the Ultimate Mandoline, and the Adjustable Microplane. But I know that most people use pre-shredded cheese, so that's what we're doing tonight to save a little time."I do use chunk Parm and grate that there, because seldom does a recipe call for a lot, and Parm grates quickly. Plus there's nothing like the flavor of fresh!

The Three Cheese Garden Pizza is an oldie recipe...but it was made on the Lg Round Stone...
Making a pizza on the bar pan definitely makes it hard to use the pizza cutter. and I end up getting out one of my self sharpening knives --so I can sharpen it again.

And stretching the dough makes it spring back while baking...use the Baker's Roller.

It was in a Sorrento type package but never looked at the description *smacks head*.. just figured.. hey, it's mozzarella. I do like showing how versatile and user friendly the U Mandolin is but yeah... I like how you work it Ann! I know I'm always using the pre-grated cheeses at home. I have to say though that I have sold the Microplane grater just by using it in the demo. When folks see how nice it turns out and how quickly it grates without taking your knuckles with it... they like that (I know I did... first time I used the PC grater I just looked at the old one in my drawer and laughed at it... poor lil grater... )... course this last show, someone mentioned wanting a Microplane grater cuz of Rachel Ray... hey, a sale is a sale! LOL..

Use Rachel all you can! Everyone always mentions her when they see Our Santoku!

Oh I will... personally, I'm more of an Alton Brown fan... speaking of which, I have a friend who'd love to get a saucier like he recommends on his show.. DH and I get a kick out of her expressions when she tries new foods on her $40 a day show ... we play 'which one will she express' when we watch...

Oh... I've been misunderstood... personally I NEVER watch Rachel ... but I'll use her to make a sale! Alton B is my very favorite because I love anyone who understands that humor can be integrated into life and not just an add on when someone feels like it. I LOVE the scientific part!

We had a couple of threads a few months back about AB and Good Eats. Lots of fans around here. Personally, I'd love for my PC shows to be as entertaining and informative as AB's!ParishKitchen pointed me in the direction of the Good Eats Fan Page a while back: http://goodeats.dyndns.org/

AB is my hero......And my son calls him the Nutty Guy!

I just had to add my 2 cents about the garden pizzas! I'm a new consultant and I just had my 7th show last night. We've made the 3 cheese garden pizza at each one, so I've pretty much worked all the bugs out! As for the crust, get the Pillsbury brand that is the 33% more package. It fits the large bar pan perfectly. Just open it up and roll it out on there, no tools needed! I also either grate the cheese at home before I go (not the parmesan) or have the hostess buy shredded cheese. I've also been slicing the tomatoes with the v blade on the mandoline and have sold 3 of them due to the perfectly thin tomato slicing. I use the pizza cutter to cut up the pizza, then use the utility knife to finish around the edges.
I have been giving my hosts for my upcoming shows the option of different recipes, but they've all been to one of my past shows and request the pizza again!
Hope this helps!

-E

1. Why couldn't I get the crust to fit to the edge of the stone?

It's possible that the dough was not rolled out evenly, making it difficult to fit to the edge of the stone. Make sure to roll out the dough evenly and use a rolling pin to gently press it to the edge of the stone.

2. How can I easily cut the zucchini and tomatoes for the Four Cheese Garden Pizza?

Using a mandoline can be tricky and may not work well with softer vegetables like zucchini and tomatoes. You can try using a crinkle cutter or a forged-cutlery knife instead. Alternatively, you can slice the vegetables by hand with a sharp knife.

3. Why was the crust so hard that I couldn't cut it with a pizza cutter?

It's possible that the crust was overcooked, causing it to become too hard. Make sure to check the pizza frequently while baking and take it out of the oven when the crust is golden brown. You can also try using a sharper pizza cutter or a forged-cutlery knife to cut through the crust and toppings.

4. How can I avoid the edges of the crust being too hard to cut?

The lip of the pan may have caused the edges of the crust to become too hard to cut. You can try using a different pan with a smoother edge or trim the edges of the crust before baking to prevent them from becoming too hard.

5. Do you have any tips to make the Four Cheese Garden Pizza easier to prepare?

One tip is to preheat the stone or pan in the oven before placing the pizza on it. This will help the crust to cook more evenly. Also, make sure to let the pizza cool for a few minutes before cutting to prevent the toppings from sliding off. You can also try using a sharper knife or pizza cutter for easier cutting.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefChris
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • dancedivine
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
dkitten13
  • Tig