• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Forged = Sharp....ask My Thumb!

In summary, Misty cut her thumb with her new forged utility knife, and another customer cut their finger off with a USG. Both customers were at a show, and the Misty also cut her finger when she was trying to dry the knife. The Misty suggests that people be careful with sharp knives, and not to grab the handel when taking the knife out of the oven. This is why she is afraid of knives.
jrstephens
Well, while trying a new recipe at home last night I sliced my thumb with my new forged utility knife! Boy they are sharp. May have needed stitches but since I HATE NEEDLES my husband just bandaged it up ( of course while saying he knew I would not go get stitches!).

Though I would chime this in. I have been so careful to not cut myself on the USG and then the knife got me. :eek: Thankfully I was not at a show! I will be more careful next time.

You never realize how much you use your thumb until it hurts to do so!! :D

Our cluster is doing a knife skills class with a professional chef next month. I'm so excited.

I think with our new cutlery we really need to learn how to use it properly.

I was very surprised by how nice and sharp they are. My kids saw my reaction as I "tested" the blade with my thumb (lightly) when I opened the box. I warn customers to be careful as they are not like the knives sitting in our drawers, but nice and sharp to do any cutting job easier and better.

I had a customer cut the tip of her finger off and end up in the ER. They couldn't put it back on, but they had nothing to stitch the fingertip to, either! So they bandaged it up really tight. They told her if it kept bleeding that she was going to need it cauterized! Ouch! Careful with the sharp things. Remember when your mom wouldn't let you use knives!

I did the same thing! I was actually drying it and it sliced through the tea towel and into my finger. Always wash and dry with the blade facing away from you that way you won't accidentally rub your finger against it.

Careful!!!!!

Misty

mistym said:
I did the same thing! I was actually drying it and it sliced through the tea towel and into my finger. Always wash and dry with the blade facing away from you that way you won't accidentally rub your finger against it.

Careful!!!!!

Misty
Careful where and how you pack it when going to shows too. And always press the back of the knife along the edge of the protector when putting the cover on it so that you aren't slicing the plastic and dulling the knife.

Make sure the cover is on!I have my Paring Knife in my TTA and a couple of times now I have pulled it out expecting the cover to be on it, and I look down and see that the cover is still in the TTA. Thankfully I have noticed before I cut myself!

Wow. And here I've been explaining at all my shows how much safer sharp knives are than dull ones! :D

After cutting myself on my USG while putting it away at a show. (Don't ask.) I started carrying bandaids and super glue in my kit. Super glue will hold the edges of a shallow cut together long enough for the cut to start healing. (Got that hint from a friendly nurse. I use it all the time for papercuts. I'm a little accident prone :eek:)

I just sliced my finger yesterday with the new forged bread knife. That sucker is so sharp!!

This is why I am afraid of knives. I always hate demo them. My plan is to let them try them out b/c I am so clumsy. Speaking of hurting thumbs... I got the SS1 kit w/ the saute pan and tried out the apple cinnamon pull apart bread (very yummy). I was careful to use a pot holder to take it out of the oven, but when getting ready to serve it I started to grab the handel out of habit. Ouch!! So now my thumb is all swollen and red. So my advice will be to not put it on the burner when you take it out of the over b/c you're more prone to grab the handel.

mbh06 said:
This is why I am afraid of knives. I always hate demo them. My plan is to let them try them out b/c I am so clumsy. Speaking of hurting thumbs... I got the SS1 kit w/ the saute pan and tried out the apple cinnamon pull apart bread (very yummy). I was careful to use a pot holder to take it out of the oven, but when getting ready to serve it I started to grab the handel out of habit. Ouch!! So now my thumb is all swollen and red. So my advice will be to not put it on the burner when you take it out of the over b/c you're more prone to grab the handel.

I did the same thing, but burned the palm of my hand. :eek:

been there done that
I got the SS1 kit w/ the saute pan and tried out the apple cinnamon pull apart bread (very yummy). I was careful to use a pot holder to take it out of the oven, but when getting ready to serve it I started to grab the handel out of habit. Ouch!! So now my thumb is all swollen and red. So my advice will be to not put it on the burner when you take it out of the over b/c you're more prone to grab the handel.

OMG! I thought I was the only absent minded person to do this! Felt like a dufus! Thankfully, I did it at home with no witnesses. I learn quick though. Now my oven mit stays on my hand until recipe is safely on serving platter.

I don't have alzheimer's...just half-heimer's:D

Valky

Whenever I try to show my dh a "new trick" with my tools, he tells me to hold on and he runs for bandaids. Ohhhh the stories!

What's sad is that just before doing a KS I always have an "incident". Before my first show (me as the host), I was trying to put some order into everything before people started arriving. My cat was climbing on top of a half wall that I have and when I reached to get him off of the wall I hit my thumb nail (with brand new acrylics) and it broke off all the way down below my cuticle skin. Needless to say I wasn't going to be using any salt for that recipe!
Then using my USG I sliced the tip of my pinky finger when a potato slipped out of the holder (lucky it just got one finger) I've been stabbed by my APSC and I can go on but I won't. Thankfully I have never had a mishap at my shows...just while prepping for them at home (or else PC might raise my insurance rates haha)

mbh06 said:

I've burnt myself twice at shows because I grabbed the handle without a hot pad. NOW - as soon as I invert the food onto a platter, I put my silicone mitt on the handle as a reminder that the dang thing is HOT!! :eek: So far, so good. :p

Everyone's stories are cracking me up (good thing no one is around or they would think I've lost it!) I am very accident prone, my mother-in-law got me a first-aid kit for my wedding shower. At least I know that I do not stand alone!
Melissa

I'm right there with you Melissa....I am laughing like a fool, family thinks I have lost it. It's not funny but it is. I'm glad to see I don't stand alone on the half brain things I do in the kitchen. Thanks for sharing the war stories girls, I needed a good laugh!:p

Maybe the home office will create a food holder that you have to put onto the knives to use them with a retractable blade. That would make as much sense as what they did to the USG. :) Okay I admit I am bitter about the whole thing, but some of the things happening in the company don't make a lot of sense right now.

jmabner said:
Maybe the home office will create a food holder that you have to put onto the knives to use them with a retractable blade. That would make as much sense as what they did to the USG. :) Okay I admit I am bitter about the whole thing, but some of the things happening in the company don't make a lot of sense right now.

HAHAHA!! LOLOLOL!!! ROFLROFL!!!!!

I cut my finger with the tip of the paring knife at the end of a show and I didn't even FEEL it! I think it needed stitches too because it kept opening up and bleeding for 3 days. I had to put a thick rubber glove on (it was at my girlfriend's house) to total out the orders. My Dh was/is so worried about me since we got the new knives. I am deathly afraid of the Santuko knife! And I can't stand the USG or Mandoline. I'm clultzy in the kitchen! Oh, and I have grabbed the handle numerous times on our cookware that was used in the oven. Duh!!
Joanne

ANOTHER Burned Hand!I had a show at my aunt's house (a former consultant) on Saturday and I forgot to warn her about the handle. In the middle of my demo she was helping by pulling the bread out and then I heard the pan drop. She did maintain her cool with a house full of people.

We were having a cluster meeting at my director's house and we got to cut potatoes with the new knife. I stabbed myself in the hand (below my thumb where it is fat) Well - it wouldn't stop bleeding. I applied pressure, then ice and a bandaid and it kept bleeding. I finally had to apply pressure with ice and hold my hand over my head for the meeting. It finally quit. I am super careful with the knives and I tell the story at all my shows. They laugh and I get orders.

Nail bedAt my show yesterday, I sliced through the nail bed on my middle finger (forged utility knife). Didn't bleed much, but sure is a sensitive area. I'm having a heck of a time typing!

Of course, I had a new consultant training with me at that show! What a way to set an example!

I have yet to cut myself with my new forged cutlery and that is AMAZING!! I sliced my thumb open once using the apple corer/wedger, sliced my pointer finger open hand washing my food chopper. Burned myself MULTIPLE times on my stoneware rack. When I pulled the new knives out of the box my husband said "oh no, there is NO WAY we are going to have enough bandaids for those things!" LOL

yummy4tummy said:
OMG! I thought I was the only absent minded person to do this! Felt like a dufus! Thankfully, I did it at home with no witnesses. I learn quick though. Now my oven mit stays on my hand until recipe is safely on serving platter.

I don't have alzheimer's...just half-heimer's:D

Valky
That's Sumzheimer's because it isn't bad enough yet for Alzheimer's!

We are all so used to using dull knives and working them too hard! Now we have surgically sharp knives and if you work them as hard as the old ones...PRESTO!...a trip to the ER!

They're really a pleasure to use though, aren't they?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
They're really a pleasure to use though, aren't they?

Amen! They really make the job SO much easier it's amazing! I had no idea how bad my knives were until I got the new Forged Knives. :)

Related to Forged = Sharp....ask My Thumb!

What does "Forged = Sharp....ask My Thumb!" mean?

"Forged = Sharp....ask My Thumb!" is a slogan used by Pampered Chef to promote their high-quality, forged kitchen knives. It means that the knives are made through a forging process which creates a strong and sharp blade, and the sharpness can be tested by running your thumb along the edge of the blade.

What is the difference between forged and stamped knives?

Forged knives are made from a single piece of steel that is heated and shaped into a blade, while stamped knives are cut from a large sheet of steel. Forged knives are generally considered to be of higher quality and have better balance and durability, while stamped knives are more affordable.

How do I care for my forged knives?

To keep your forged knives in good condition, it is important to hand wash them with warm water and mild soap, and dry them immediately. Avoid using harsh detergents or putting them in the dishwasher, as this can damage the blade and handle. It is also recommended to regularly sharpen your knives with a sharpening stone or honing rod.

Do Pampered Chef's forged knives come with a warranty?

Yes, all Pampered Chef forged knives come with a lifetime guarantee. If your knife becomes damaged or defective, you can contact Pampered Chef's customer service for a replacement or refund.

Can I purchase individual knives or do I have to buy a set?

Pampered Chef offers both individual knives and knife sets for purchase. You can choose to buy a complete set or customize your own collection by selecting the specific knives you need for your kitchen.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• RachelNguyen
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
whiteyteresa
  • krzymomof4
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jenniann
  • pamperedlinda