• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making Chicken Fajitas WITHOUT slicing the Thumbs off!

In summary, the host was demonstrating how easy it is to slice an entire onion at once with an Apple Wedger when the last tiny bit of the onion didn't cut and she cut herself. She tells people never to push food through the wedger and uses the other hand to pull the onion through. The advantage to using the AS over doing the onion in the UM is that it's big chunks and they cook at about the same rate. The Furry Guy gets all the others.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
for the Chicken Fajitas WITHOUT slicing the @#$%^& out of BOTH :eek: of my thumbs!

I can now join the ranks of you who has been injured at a show.....I cut myself today for the first time at my show - ouch! I was using the Apple Wedger to demonstrate how easy it is to slice an entire onion at once and the last tiny bit of the onion didn't cut so....what do I do - push it through with my thumbs! (not smart) Thankfull this show was with a group of ladies that I do shows for all the time and I knew all but one of them. I would have been more than embarrassed if it was in front of strangers!

So, what do you use to push the onion (or whatever) through the wedger when it doesn't cut the last tiny bit or if it gets stuck? I didn't own it and bought the dang thing just for this demo!

Bright side - everyone was very impresses with the DBC! The host is getting the baker, I booked another show just for the baker and another person is buying the baker....I love that thing!

What is the advantage to using the AS vs doing the onion in the UM after you cut it in 1/2 or 1/4?

Oh, Linda, I'm so sorry you hurt your little thumbs!I tell people never to push food through. You should always grasp it from the top and pull it through. I usually hold it down with one hand, fingers and thumb holding down opposite handles (I have small hands and can still do this), and use the other hand to pull the onion (or apple, or potato) through.Does that make sense?

katie0128 said:
What is the advantage to using the AS vs doing the onion in the UM after you cut it in 1/2 or 1/4?

I like using it for stir-fry because it's big chunks. They cook at about the same rate as the other veggies, and they're big enough for The Furry Guy to pick them out easily if he wants to.

raebates said:
I like using it for stir-fry because it's big chunks. They cook at about the same rate as the other veggies, and they're big enough for The Furry Guy to pick them out easily if he wants to.

Good point! And I'm with The Furry Guy on the picking out onions thing. Love the way they flavor food, but can't stand to actually eat them.

I knew you two had a lot in common. :)

The kids were asking the other day when you guys were coming back to visit... well, they really weren't asking for you, but they did want The Furry Guy back!

That's the story of my life. Out of all of the little ones at church, there are three who ask for me or run to me first. The Furry Guy gets all the others. Oh, well, what can I say? He is a lot of fun. :)

LOL....or should I say OUCH!:eek:

I sliced my finger pretty good doing the same thing with an apple a couple of weeks ago! It bled all over the place! The funniest thing was, I think I sold 6 apple wedgers that evening!:D

One thing that I do for the onions is I peel off the first layer - that seems to be a little tougher and harder for the wedger to go through - usually, if I peel that off, I don't have a problem with cutting all the way through the onion. Also - make sure your onion is smaller in diameter than the wedger.

And that DCB - oh yeah! I get the most bookings at the shows where I feature this piece - it has become a "Must-have" for me at all of my shows!

Do you slice off the ends of the onion before you put it through the AS? Do you cut up the "core" or does it even come out as a solid piece?

katie0128 said:
Do you slice off the ends of the onion before you put it through the AS? Do you cut up the "core" or does it even come out as a solid piece?

I slice off the ends, and yes, the core comes out as a solid piece in the middle - that's the beauty of using the wedger to wedge your onion!

Do you cut up the core?

I'm with Becky D. Before our son moved to Dallas, he and his dad liked to see who got "the round one." That worked for onions and potatoes. I like to roast the wedged potatoes--toss them with a little oil and the seasoning of your choice, then put them in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes. Yum.

katie0128 said:
Good point! And I'm with The Furry Guy on the picking out onions thing. Love the way they flavor food, but can't stand to actually eat them.
That's me too!!! That's why I LOVE the food chopper. I can chop the heck out of them into little tiny pieces. Then I don't notice them, but I still get the flavor. I tell that story at every show, I used to NEVER put onions in things until I got the chopper.:)

I cut off the top and leave the root end. Then, placing the root end UP, I position my AW over the top and slice down. There is nothing for the AW to catch on and I always get the whole root.

Thanks Rae, I'll try that idea.

I also take off the skin and cut the top and bottom off of the onion before I wedge it.

The people at this show have been to lots of PC shows (one of them used to be a consultant) and a few of them said that they have cut themselves on the wedger before too - made me feel better about cutting myself. At least they knew that it hurt like a s-o-b!

I always put the cover over the bottom and use that to push it through. It has never cut through my cover or cut me that way. I sliced my thumb really deep one time trying to push an apple back through by hand and learned my lesson real quick. That's a mistake you don't make twice (no offense to anyone who's done it twice ;) ).

pamperedbecky said:
That's me too!!! That's why I LOVE the food chopper. I can chop the heck out of them into little tiny pieces. Then I don't notice them, but I still get the flavor. I tell that story at every show, I used to NEVER put onions in things until I got the chopper.:)

I tell people at my shows that you can chop just about anything your kids won't eat into pieces so small they don't know exactly what they are eating. For example, my kids H-A-T-E broccoli and refuse to eat any food that has even been NEAR broccoli, but they don't mind the green "seasoning" that makes it's way into many things (pasta, eggs, meatloaf, tomato sauce, etc.). My kids are smart enough that I know they are going to catch on some day, but for now... what a great way to get veggies into them!

I feel for you, I did that but only to one thumb. Let me warn you it will smart for a few days. And any time you use your thumb you'll feel it!

I usually cut off the bottom (apples in my case) before slicing. It helps so it doesn't have to break through the bottom skin. Think food chopper, you don't normally place items in it skin side down because it won't cut properly. Or grab the whole top and pull it through.

Bad story to tell but this one has always stuck in my mind. A cluster mate of mine said she was at HO when they did the shopping spree. One gal wore sandels and kicked off her sandles to run. Well... I just cannot make myself say it but you can guess what happened! And you thought your finger hurt. Apparently HO made it a rule after that you have to wear sneakers.

1. How can I make chicken fajitas without risking slicing off my thumbs?

To safely make chicken fajitas without risking injury, follow these steps:
1. Use a sharp knife and keep your fingers curled inwards while slicing the chicken.
2. Cut the chicken into thin strips against the grain to make it easier to cook and eat.
3. Always use a cutting board and keep your non-dominant hand on top of the chicken to stabilize it.
4. Take breaks and go slow to avoid rushing and potentially cutting yourself.
5. Use kitchen shears to cut any tough pieces of chicken instead of using a knife.

2. Can I use pre-sliced chicken for fajitas?

Yes, you can use pre-sliced chicken for fajitas. Just make sure to check the expiration date and cook the chicken thoroughly before adding it to your fajitas.

3. How do I know when the chicken is fully cooked?

The best way to check if the chicken is fully cooked is to use a meat thermometer. The internal temperature of cooked chicken should reach 165°F. Another way is to cut into the thickest part of the chicken and make sure it is no longer pink and the juices run clear.

4. Can I marinate the chicken before making fajitas?

Yes, marinating the chicken before making fajitas can add more flavor to your dish. Just make sure to follow food safety guidelines and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 24 hours.

5. How do I prevent the chicken from getting dry?

To prevent the chicken from getting dry, make sure to not overcook it. Overcooking can result in tough and dry chicken. Also, consider marinating the chicken or adding a splash of chicken broth while cooking to add moisture. Lastly, make sure to slice the chicken against the grain to keep it tender.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Dotty
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
schel
  • Jenni
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • smilesarepriceless