• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Just Got Back From the Er - 9 Stitches

In summary, the Quickut knife is sharp and can cause injury if not used properly. If you are unfortunate enough to injure yourself with this knife, make sure to seek medical attention and avoid washing dishes or cleaning bath tubs and sinks for the duration of the injury.
cathyskitchen
Gold Member
in my left thumb from the Quickut Paring Knife. Duh - it's my own darned fault, too - I feel so stupid! I kept telling myself "cut away from you" and the one time I don't - SLIP and SLICE - right thru my thumb on the inside. :( It was bleeding pretty bad and I actually felt faint and nauseous for a while - esp. while the Dr. was putting in the stitches. The local anesth.is wearing off now and it's starting to throb - just took some ibuprophen (600 mg) so hopefully it'll feel better soon. It's tough to type w/only one hand, too!

Wish me luck - I have to keep it dry for 24 hrs. and get the stitches out in 7-10 days. I have a show this Sat, too! I think I'll be asking for LOTS of help!!!

So, beware of the Quickut - that little sucker is SHARP!!! :eek:

Ouch!

Take good care of it...

don't feel stupid! about 2 weeks ago, I was making soup and was using the old Ultimate Slice & Grate. I use it ALL the time, but was cutting a zuchinni and really forgot to use the food guard when I got close to the blade.....and OOPS! I sliced off a good chunk of my middle finger~it still hasnlt completley healed. It didn't hurt until I put pressure on it and then it didn't stop bleeding for about half-an-hour! A friend called right after it happened and wouldn't let me off the phone until it stopped-she was worried she was going to have to come get me to go to the ER!

Ouch! Sorry that happened and with the Quikut! Take it easy. I guess you can't wash dishes or clean bath tubs and sinks.

JAE said:
Ouch! Sorry that happened and with the Quikut! Take it easy. I guess you can't wash dishes or clean bath tubs and sinks.

Yes - that is one bright side to all of this - hubby has to do laundry, cleaning & dishes for a while!!

chefmeg said:
don't feel stupid! about 2 weeks ago, I was making soup and was using the old Ultimate Slice & Grate. I use it ALL the time, but was cutting a zuchinni and really forgot to use the food guard when I got close to the blade.....and OOPS! I sliced off a good chunk of my middle finger~it still hasnlt completley healed. It didn't hurt until I put pressure on it and then it didn't stop bleeding for about half-an-hour! A friend called right after it happened and wouldn't let me off the phone until it stopped-she was worried she was going to have to come get me to go to the ER!

Oh Meg - OWWW!! I sliced the tip of my rt. thumb w/that thing (usg) and never used it again! I didn't need stitches that time, but man did that hurt! So, I can empathize - heal well!

OUCH!!!!!!!!! I'm so sorry to hear about this! It's a good reminder for all of us!

Ouch! I got a little light-headed just reading about it! Hope you feel better soon.

Oh Cindy! I am so sorry!!!

I can feel your pain just listening to your story!:eek:
I am so sorry. That stinks! Hope you heal up quickly!

quiverfull7 said:
OUCH!!!!!!!!! I'm so sorry to hear about this! It's a good reminder for all of us!

Thanks, and yep, that's why I posted!! :(

pamperedlinda said:
Ouch! I got a little light-headed just reading about it! Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, Linda! :)

dannyzmom said:
Oh Cindy! I am so sorry!!!

Thanks, Carolina! ;) (I know you meant Cathy!)

chefkristin said:
I can feel your pain just listening to your story!:eek:
I am so sorry. That stinks! Hope you heal up quickly!

Thanks Kristin - yep, it hurts!! :eek:

Did you remember to ask 'em for some Percaset? You wouldn't care if it hurt. ;)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

Hee hee, KG - I thought about it, but I have to work tomorrow (or use up my time off scheduled for Christmas) - I guess I'll just suck it up!

I bet Percs would make you much more interesting at work, too!

Yes that would be interesting, KG - esp. if I even survived the 45 min. drive in! I'm already going to be the main topic of conversation w/this big bandage wrapped around my hand! Thanks for the chuckle - needed that! :)

Despite the bandage, you are still typing well...

If I had a bandage on my thumb that big, my typing might look like:

a jdl kjafj akljfd lkajsflkja ouioi u dhahh ;jl kjlk l jadf loiyweoiuh

Cathy~

Owwww! That makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it!

Hope you heal quickly...and make it through work ok!

{{{{hugs}}}}

janetupnorth said:
Despite the bandage, you are still typing well...

If I had a bandage on my thumb that big, my typing might look like:

a jdl kjafj akljfd lkajsflkja ouioi u dhahh ;jl kjlk l jadf loiyweoiuh

LOL!! Yep - I'm typing w/one hand, so I'm much slower than normal (60 - 70 wpm), so I guess I'm around 30wpm. I'm a perfectionist, too, so I keep backspacing, so it's probably more like 10wpm! Frustrating!!

KellyTheChef said:
Cathy~

Owwww! That makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it!

Hope you heal quickly...and make it through work ok!

{{{{hugs}}}}

Thanks, Kelly - luckily I don't have a super busy day tmrw - maybe my boss will have sympathy & let me go early, too!!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

KG, with your vast caverns of knowledge and brilliance...I would have thought you would know how to spell Percocet. :)

(sorry, I had to razz you) :blushing:

Toguh to sepll it wehn you'er on ti.

I was giving my whole no nutritional value in finger tips etc---and I then opened the apple wedger to slice an apple---it slipped when opening and said---well sorry for the brief delay--As i said have respect for the sharp objects---Came back to a cheer at the party and a GLOVE----I would highly recommend having them on hand IN CASE OF-----

Related to I Just Got Back From the Er - 9 Stitches

1. What happened to cause you to need 9 stitches?

I accidentally cut my hand while preparing food in the kitchen.

2. How long did you have to wait at the ER before receiving treatment?

I was seen by a doctor within 30 minutes of arriving at the ER.

3. Did you receive any pain medication for the injury?

Yes, I was given numbing medication before receiving the stitches.

4. Will you be able to use your hand normally after the stitches are removed?

Yes, the doctor said I should regain full use of my hand after the stitches are removed.

5. How can I prevent an accident like this from happening while cooking?

Always use caution when handling sharp objects and make sure to keep knives and other tools properly sharpened. Also, be sure to follow proper knife-handling techniques to minimize the risk of injury.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Yakmama
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Shawnna
  • pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
  • ChefinHarmony