• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ultimately Sliced and Grated My Thumb...

R
RachelNguyen
I was pulling out the USG to slice tomatoes tonight and as I removed the v-blade, my hand slipped and I sliced into my thumb. But good. Luckily the host had some bandaids and peroxide, but it took about 20 minutes for the bleeding to slow down, by which point the guests were arriving. I quickly donned a latex glove and hoped that folks wouldn't notice that my thumb was still bleeding.

I honestly have to say, I am not sure I will take it to a show again! LOL. I know they are a great sale, but yeesh, at what cost? I will now have two scars from mandoline slicers. (The first time I needed 11 stitches when I sliced the end of my pinky in half.)

Needless to say, it wasn't a big seller tonight! When I pulled it out to show, there was still tomato juice on it. I had to reassure them it wasn't my blood, LOL!

Other than that, it was a good show!

OUCH!!
I am so sorry to hear that you have an attack-trained USG!! I use mine at every show and :::knock wood::: have yet to be badly injured by it...about a month ago as I was putting it into my S2G case, my hand slid and it shaved....literally shaved off my fingernail just barely missing skin. Man I was lucky.

The night before my 2nd show I was using the apple/peeler/corer slicer on a potatoe - I've had the APCS forever and know to pull the core off at the end. i had some out of body experience, pulled the trigger back then removed that slippery core. Yep, I had to have 4 stitches across the top of my index finger.Guess what was scheduled to be my demo at that 2nd show - Apple Bundles. Needless to say - I didn't sell anyAPCSers that night!!

When I fist got my US&G, I cut my self all the time, bbut the more I use it, the better it goes. (knock on wood) but I have not cut myself in months now, I think when you use it all the time, you become aware of it, and are extra careful!!!

I'm still growing back the chunk of skin I sliced off of my knuckle around Memorial Day (that's the last weekend in May for non-US folk ;)). I'm not sure if it's growing into a keloid scar or just taking its own sweet time turning into epidermis, y'know? :rolleyes:

ultimate slice and grateI hate mine so much I threw it in the trash.
To me its flat a danger waiting to happen. I have a few scars too.:(

mary k said:
I hate mine so much I threw it in the trash.
To me its flat a danger waiting to happen. I have a few scars too.:(
Oh, my! I had to buy a 2nd one b/c my husband wanted to be able to use one while I'm gone to shows.

A few years ago, I cut off the end/side of my little finger. Had to go to ER b/c it sliced into a tiny artery and wouldn't quit bleeding. I was watching TV and slicing a potato at the same time. No, I wasn't using the guard b/c I didn't have enough sense to cut the potato in half so it wouldn't be wobbly. That was before I became a consultant.

I love my USG but I wish that they would come out with a safer one.

I love my USG. Fortunately I have never cut myself at a show, but did fall victom to the vshaped blade washing it one night. I do wish they would come up with a better food guard. I have the hardest time geting food to stay attached, so only use the guard at shows.

This is why I'm seriously thinking about getting a cut-resistant glove. It wouldn't be a total preventative, but it sure would reduce those glancing slices. One of these days I'll quit thinking about it and actually GET it. ;)

I have to say I absolutly love the US&G but my husband totally despises it

I kept the box that it came in and store it in there when I travel with it. Makes it a little safer.

UsgI cut my self just taking it out of the box when I first got it. That thing is dangerous.

:eek:

I love my US & G. When people tell me it cost too much. I ask them - How much would you pay for 5 different products that does the same thing. They don't know what to say. So then, when I am at the fair, festival, etc. then I show them how the '
V' cuts tomatoes and cucumbers,
the grater - carrots,
thick slicer - rings of green peppers,
thin slicer - pepperoni,
julienne - onions

then I tell them add cooked pasta and a bottle of Italian dressing and you have Pasta Salad and you just used I products to make one recipe.

Then they take another look at it and just say "WOW"

forgive me for misspelled words.

Related to Ultimately Sliced and Grated My Thumb...

1. How did you injure your thumb with the mandoline slicer?

I was pulling out the v-blade to slice tomatoes and my hand slipped, causing me to slice my thumb.

2. Did you need to seek medical attention for your thumb injury?

No, I was luckily able to clean and bandage the wound with supplies provided by the host. However, it did take about 20 minutes for the bleeding to slow down.

3. Will you continue to use the mandoline slicer after this incident?

I am not sure if I will take it to a show again. Although it is a great tool for slicing and grating, the risk of injury is not worth it to me.

4. Did the incident affect your sales at the show?

Unfortunately, the incident did have an impact on my sales. When I pulled out the mandoline slicer to demonstrate, there was still tomato juice on it which may have made some customers hesitant to purchase.

5. Have you had previous injuries with the mandoline slicer?

Yes, this is actually my second injury with a mandoline slicer. The first time, I needed 11 stitches when I sliced the end of my pinky in half. Now I will have two scars from using mandoline slicers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
lizcooks4u
  • RachelNguyen
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • jrstephens
  • Products and Tips
Replies