• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Kitchen Mishap: How I Accidentally Sliced My Finger While Preparing Food

In summary, a new user sliced their finger on a sharp knife while washing it and is now in pain. Another new user experienced a similar accident with a different knife and is now scarred for life. Another user has a warning for others about using the knives safely.
susanr613
Gold Member
...of those who have sliced and diced their own flesh! :cry:

I made the mistake of using the new 5" santoku to cut up a huge hunk of cheese for the freezer. My hand slipped and instead of asiago, I cut a nice little divot in the center of my left ring finger nail. :eek: The knife very efficiently cut thru nail and nailbed. I guess I won't be donating blood anytime soon - more than I ever thought possible splashed and dripped everywhere (but the food thank God). :yuck: It took forever to clot, and I am not looking forward to changing the bandaids.

Just thought I'd share...DS is tired of listening to me whine :D

Ouch! I was using mine the other day and thinking "This puppy is SHARP!"

Feel better soon!

Ouch! Haven't used my 5 yet - but have sliced my self nicely on the 7 - welcome to the club!

I signed on a few months ago when the knives were the signing bonus... so I have the big santuko, the chef knife and the bread knife. I've only used the santuko like 3 times and even my utility that came with the kit maybe 10. I'm scared of those suckers! hahah!I managed to cut myself on the food chopper the other day while washing it. The side of the blade (not the part that cuts the food) went right into my knuckle :(Just shows that anyone can do this job! :)

susanr613 said:
...of those who have sliced and diced their own flesh! :cry:

I made the mistake of using the new 5" santoku to cut up a huge hunk of cheese for the freezer. My hand slipped and instead of asiago, I cut a nice little divot in the center of my left ring finger nail. :eek: The knife very efficiently cut thru nail and nailbed. I guess I won't be donating blood anytime soon - more than I ever thought possible splashed and dripped everywhere (but the food thank God). :yuck: It took forever to clot, and I am not looking forward to changing the bandaids.

Just thought I'd share...DS is tired of listening to me whine :D

Welcome to the club! You should take a pic of it for posterity. I took one of mine! :thumbup:

I had to go and get acrylic put over my nails because I kept chopping the nails off- this way I have nice hard acrylic nails and I've only cut 2 of the tips off- :) LOL

I'm so sorry you are in pain- tell your sweet, little DS that he can either listen to you whine about labor pains, or your wounded fingernail...his choice! :) LOL

I was slicing a lime for the Jerk Chicken Nachos at my last show using the Utility Knife. Oh, my! So sharp it didn't even hurt! But the mess! Didn't sell any knives, but I DID sell a finger guard! LOL. Oh, and we did not use the lime after all...

I'm sorry you're in pain. Get better soon!

Oh Ann! That's one of the first things that came to my mind...thank goodness it didn't happen at a show! Hope you're healing well!

Oh no!! I'm sorry you had to join our ranks. I can still see the scar on my thumb from my Quick Cut paring knife incident in Dec. :( I hope it heals quickly and stops throbbing soon!!

Yikes! Well maybe you can turn the experience around as a selling tool. "Anyone not happy with her current husband, I have the knife for you!" :angel:

I was doing a show and used three of the knives successfully only to cut myself on a box when I was packing up! (Talk about feeling silly!)

Oooh OUCH!!! I hope it feels better soon. I hate knife injuries because at first it's not so bad, but then that darn throbbing! Hopefully you have some good pain meds.:)

Ooohhh, I know that hurts. I did a similar thing last night at my show!! I was cutting an avacado and using the chef's knife, I don't have avacado knife, well I got to the pit and hit the knife against it to twist and pull and it slipped off the pit and through the avacado and then my first finger joint! I know it was a very stupid mistake that was totally my fault, but it still hurts! I hope you heal quickly!

I did that once with the 7" Santoku and sliced my thumb while washing it. Ouch for sure!

At my first show I cut myself and it did not want to stop bleeding. I started the show, and had to change my bandaid in the middle of the show. I was so embarassed. I ended up with two bandaids on and had to change them at the end. I will always remember my first show.:yuck:

My host on Saturday cut herself trying the bread knife. She joked later about needing the finger guard...I hope it heals fast Susan!

The first knife I purchased from PC was the boning knife several months ago. After listening to how my consultant (recruiter) had cut herself several times. I went ahead and bought the knife guard too. I just got the new 5" Santuko, I think it's time to dig that puppy out of the drawer and use it, lol.

Hope you feel better. I still remember one of my shows way back when the "Spring Fruit Charlotte" recipe first came out. Any of you oldies remember that one? Well, I was "supposed" to take the pit out of the plum and then slice with the USG. Well, somehow I forgot to take the pit out, stuck it in the USG WITHOUT the food guard and was just explaining to my few guests that we shouldn't use it w/o the guard and then SLICE! There went a good little chunk out of the tip of my thumb! Wouldn't stop bleeding so had to go to the ER in the middle of my show! Luckily there were only a few family members there. Ended up closing at about $600!!!

I cut mine yesterday using the peeler. I was peeling a peach and it was working so beautifully that I slipped and cut my finger. It really does peal peaches great though.

I am normally not too queasy, but dang ladies - you have my stomach churning! I have sliced myself quite a few layers in one of my pointer fingers with one of our knives - I don't remember the details as I've blocked them all - all I remember was multiple paper towels and lots of time to clot. This is making me think I need to do some practice chopping before my August shows!!!

Oh, Susan, I hope you're all better real soon.

chefshawna said:
Ooohhh, I know that hurts. I did a similar thing last night at my show!! I was cutting an avacado and using the chef's knife, I don't have avacado knife, well I got to the pit and hit the knife against it to twist and pull and it slipped off the pit and through the avacado and then my first finger joint! I know it was a very stupid mistake that was totally my fault, but it still hurts! I hope you heal quickly!

Not to hijack the thread, but when I first got my Avocado Knife (I think it was in a sample package), I thought "Oh brother, how dumb is this? Why would we need a special knife for avocados?" Well, that thing works so great - even my husband uses it!! And, if you knew how my husband felt about my 'toys,' you'd realize that's saying alot!! Plus, IT'S NOT SHARP!!

Haven't had the opportunity to try the grapefruit knife yet, since we're not big grapefruit eaters in this house. Hmm, maybe I should add it to my goody bag.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Sarah

The Utility Knife got me a couple of nights ago! It's nice to know I'm not alone. :)

What is "I've Joined the Ranks...."?

"I've Joined the Ranks...." is a phrase often used by Pampered Chef consultants to announce their new career venture with the company.

What does it mean to join the ranks at Pampered Chef?

Joining the ranks at Pampered Chef means becoming a consultant and selling the company's products and hosting cooking parties to earn income and build a business.

How do I join the ranks at Pampered Chef?

To join the ranks at Pampered Chef, you can sign up through an existing consultant or through the company's website. There is a small fee and you will receive a starter kit to help you get started.

What are the benefits of joining the ranks at Pampered Chef?

Joining the ranks at Pampered Chef comes with many benefits, such as flexibility in your schedule, the opportunity to earn income, access to exclusive products and events, and the chance to connect with a supportive community of consultants.

Can anyone join the ranks at Pampered Chef?

Yes, anyone can join the ranks at Pampered Chef as long as they are at least 18 years old and reside in a country where the company operates. No previous sales experience is necessary.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• GourmetGirl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
Back