• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mandoline Mishap: My Thumb meets the Blade!

In summary, a woman sliced her thumb with a mandoline while trying to get more fiber in her soup, and others have done the same. The guard on the mandoline doesn't help because people can still cut themselves without it.
JillianAnthony
So, I'm using the mandoline cutting up some carrots for chicken soup...when all of a sudden I realize my thumb got a little too close to the blade and took off 3/4's of my nail!!!! :yuck:

I keep telling myself at least it wasn't the tip of my thumb, and at least it was at home and not at a show!! Am I a clutz or have others done this as well?

BTW, its not easy to type minus your right thumb!! :p

JillianAnthony said:
So, I'm using the mandoline cutting up some carrots for chicken soup...when all of a sudden I realize my thumb got a little too close to the blade and took off 3/4's of my nail!!!! :yuck:

I keep telling myself at least it wasn't the tip of my thumb, and at least it was at home and not at a show!! Am I a clutz or have others done this as well?

BTW, its not easy to type minus your right thumb!! :p

How were you slicing carrots without the guard?

With the older stye Ultimate Slice and Grate - that happened to people all the time - but I thought with the new UM, it would be almost impossible!

Unless she was being "sneaky" like I do...I put the food guard on (minus the plunger) if I am doing something really long like a carrot or cuke so I can hold it up and not have to cut it into smaller pieces.

BTW- I DO NOT show this at shows!! I demonstrate it "properly"

Trying to get a little extra fiber in your soup?

KellyTheChef said:
Unless she was being "sneaky" like I do...I put the food guard on (minus the plunger) if I am doing something really long like a carrot or cuke so I can hold it up and not have to cut it into smaller pieces.

BTW- I DO NOT show this at shows!! I demonstrate it "properly"

Thats EXACTLY what I did. Its my own fault..I should have known LOL :eek:

Not with the new mandonline but I did the same exact thing with the old mandonline.

I've done it with the new one the same way too! I'm more careful now. ;)

Hence the reason they put the guard on!!! I use a chopper for my soup or slice my carrots with the santouko - But then again - not the biggest fan of the UM-

I sliced my thumb when a piece of pepper got stuck in the blade, holding it open, and I was too lazy to get a spatula or something to push it through, so I used my thumb. I was less lucky, and sliced into the nail and the flesh underneath... And I still have a crack in my nail that has not grown completely out. So you are not alone! :)And yes, it is difficult to do a lot of stuff without your right thumb!! I remember!! Here's hoping you heal quickly!

Related to Mandoline Mishap: My Thumb meets the Blade!

What is a mandoline and how does it work?

A mandoline is a kitchen tool used for slicing and julienning fruits and vegetables. It consists of a flat, angled platform with a sharp blade attached to it. The food is slid over the platform and the blade cuts through it, creating thin and even slices.

How do I prevent injuries when using a mandoline?

To prevent injuries, it is important to use a hand guard or protective gloves when using a mandoline. This will keep your fingers away from the blade and reduce the risk of cuts. You should also make sure the blade is properly secured and the mandoline is on a stable surface before use.

I accidentally cut myself while using a mandoline, what should I do?

If you experience a mandoline mishap and cut yourself, it is important to first stop the bleeding by applying pressure to the wound. Clean the cut with soap and water and cover it with a clean bandage. If the cut is deep or does not stop bleeding, seek medical attention.

Is there a safer alternative to using a mandoline?

Yes, there are several alternatives to using a mandoline such as a sharp knife, a vegetable peeler, or a food processor with a slicing attachment. These options may not create the same thin and even slices as a mandoline, but they can still effectively slice and julienne fruits and vegetables.

Are there any specific safety tips for using a mandoline?

Some important safety tips for using a mandoline include always using a hand guard or protective gloves, keeping the blade properly secured and the mandoline on a stable surface, and paying close attention to your fingers and the blade while slicing. It is also recommended to use a cutting board with a non-slip surface to prevent the mandoline from moving while in use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• RachelNguyen
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
whiteyteresa
  • esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • clshirk