• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

First Timer: What Can I Expect?

In summary, Becky said to go to the First Timers Orientation on Monday, that there won't be any surprise boxes this year, and that there will be a LOT of giveaways this year. She also said to be sure and attend the Chef Success Meet n Greet on Monday afternoon. Becky also said to try not to carry too much with you and to be prepared to walk a lot.
Candice
My recruiter/AD hasn't told me much about conference since there are 4 of us going and they've been going for years!

So what can I expect when I get there?

What are these surprise boxes you guys are speaking of? Will we be able to get samples of products there? If so, how much extra room should I leave in the suitcase?

I already ordered my catalogs and stuff and they are to be shipped on the 13th.

Is there a lot of social time? I hear people saying to talk to others there and stuff, but isn't it pretty structured?

That's it for questions...feel free to add more :)

Thanks,
Candice (aka Conference Newbie)

First - make sure you go to the First Timers Orientation on Monday. That will really help!

I've heard that there won't be surprise boxes this year. In past years, they were boxes of discontinued product and promotional materials that you could purchase for pennies on the dollar....but you didn't know what you were getting until you opened your box. (hence the name "surprise box")

Also, I've heard that there are going to be a LOT of giveaways this year. We've always gotten a few gifts - a gift at lunch one day, a gift at our Exec. Banquet (which we're also not having this year), the official Conference Tote, usually at least one new product (last year I think we got a rub, and the magnetic measurement thingy) but this year the Conference Info says that there will be over $100 in giveaways and gifts! That's a LOT! I'm super excited about that!

As for Social Time - this year is all new for us! By the looks of the schedule, we have more free time than we've ever had in the past (like every evening free! WOW!). Be sure and go to the Chef Success Meet n Greet on Monday afternoon. Meet some other Cheffers and find out what they are doing.

You will have no problem socializing and chatting with people, unless you hide from everyone! This is the FRIENDLIEST Direct Sales Event you can imagine! Everyone loves to chat and share about their businesses! Take plenty of business cards with you, and be ready to share info with other consultants. A lot of people like to share a tip or recipe on the back of their business cards when they pass them out to other people.

Get ready to be blown away! This is the most amazing time! I've gone for 5 years and I still am excited about going! Even more so, because I know what to expect!

The Agenda from Cons. Corner will tell you alot. Partly it depends on when you arrive... I get in Sunday night. Monday Am I plan to have a relaxed breakfast with clustermates then head over to McCormick Place. If you are staying at a Conf Hotel they will have buses waiting. At the Chicago Hilton they are by the side door but just follow all the women and logowear :)When you get to McCormick follow the signs to the registration are where you will pick up a packet of info. In it will be a list of what and where your workshops are, your name tag and any ribbons or Pins you have earned. You should wear this while you are at the conf center and on the buses. There will be booths set up by most of our affiliates, Fed Ex, our ins. carrier, Sprint plus many more and of course Merril. There are also usually HO tech people there with computer stations to help you with website questions. When you are done at the Conf. Center you can go back and catch a bus back to your hotel. There are signs that tell you which go to which hotel along with lots of HO staff to help. Day 2&3 pay close attention to the time for General Breakfast. I know I need to get there early as my first workshop is at like 8:30!!! The meals that PC covers are all at McCormick as well. Again follow the signs. Breakfasts are usually (may be different this year) in the same hall where Merrill is. Try not to carry too much with you. There can be long walks between workshops and it can get cumbersome during general sessions.Hope this helpsBecky and I were typing at the same time :) and yes go to the Orientation!

Last edited:
Chef Becky hit it on the head with all of her suggestions. Also prepare to walk .... A LOT! Take a camera because you may have the opportunity to have your picture taken with Doris. You are going to have so much fun that you will never miss conference in the future. I come home with my brain packed with all sorts of information. I take a notebook and a couple pens for notes. Also highlighters for when I have a AH HA moment that I want to make sure to remember.

It is really structured, but if you look at the schedule you'll see that there is lots of time for meals. That's a great time to connect with others. Also, you can connect with people who sit around you at the workshops. There's also the shuttle time. If you sit with different people each time you'll have a chance to talk, exchange cards, and connect.With triple the number of people there's no telling where they'll put us this year. I anticipate that most of us will be caught off guard by the way things are done. It sounds like you're kind of like me. I like to know what to expect so I can be prepared. One of the best things I ever learned was to prepare as well as I could, then let things happen. You can read through the countdown thread (http://www.chefsuccess.com/f104/countdown-national-conference-61058/?highlight=countdown) if you haven't already. We talk there about what to take and what to leave behind.

etteluap70PC said:
General sessions have in the past always been the "Arie Crown Theater" I Assume they will be again this year.
General sessions will NOT be in the Arie Crown. We will be in a big meeting hall in the South Building (the one on the other side of Lake Shore Drive).

DebbieJ said:
General sessions will NOT be in the Arie Crown. We will be in a big meeting hall in the South Building (the one on the other side of Lake Shore Drive).

Figures the one assumption I made... I will alter my post.

Someone (an older person) told me that at conference, we are required to wear business casual clothing. No denim and no shorts! Is this right?? Those of you that have been before, please chime in. If this is the case, i have to go shopping and that's going to be an issue given my budget this month. )-:

deanna_g said:
Someone (an older person) told me that at conference, we are required to wear business casual clothing. No denim and no shorts! Is this right?? Those of you that have been before, please chime in. If this is the case, i have to go shopping and that's going to be an issue given my budget this month. )-:
That is correct. No denim, no shorts. It's a Business Conference. Most of the people I know do wear dressier capri's though. (I will be bringing a couple pair myself.)

I find it odd that this was stated no where in the guidelines to follow, though. I looked through them several times. I feel VERY bad for the first timers who don't know that this is expected of them. Because until this lady said that needed to happen, I was planning on my khaki cargo capris and denim capris with nice shirts. I don't have a lot of dress clothes and I have none that are comfortable to be in the entire day. And now I have to spend the money that I was going to use for vendors and food for the conference on clothing. I'm quite upset that it wasn't in the guidelines.

deanna_g said:

I normally wear khaki or black capris and a nice shirt. Depending on the stores around you, I have found some great items at Gordman's and Vanity!

Hahaha. I live in the middle of a cornfield. I have to drive 45 minutes to get to the nearest Super Walmart, much less anything else. Guess I'll be going on a road trip for clothes today.

deanna_g said:
Hahaha. I live in the middle of a cornfield. I have to drive 45 minutes to get to the nearest Super Walmart, much less anything else. Guess I'll be going on a road trip for clothes today.

Sounds like, if you already have a pair of Khaki's that you only need one or maybe 2 more pairs of slacks/capri's. Not a whole lot.

And I'm sorry you're having to deal with this at such a late date. There has been a TON of discussion about this here on CS!

And I just have to note that I just went looking for a blurb about the dress code, and also don't see one in anything from this year. Also couldn't find it in the business guide or consultant policy guide.

I personally understand the dress code and am wearing business casual; but I do agree with it being stated nowhere. Also this is my 1st conference and if someone would have not told me, I would not have known either. I honestly feel that if a pair of denim capris is what you have and you dont have the money to spend on new clothes, wear what you have; next year you will know what to wear. We leave in 4 days, I know if I was in your shoes, I wouldnt so much worry about my clothes, You have made an investment to be there and to me it shouldnt so much matter what you wear. Just my opinion.

deanna_g said:

I know how you feel! The closest "real" shopping is 65 miles from me (also the closest WalMart). Shopping isn't just a get up and go thing. It is a plan the day thing since I have to travel so far. I went this week and shopped the 4th of July sales. My problem is that I had the clothes but lost weight so the stuff I thought I would wear was too big! ACK! At least DH didn't freak and our budget allowed for it this week.

BTW- I live next to wheat and alfalfa fields! Would be in the middle of them except for the small creek that runs by us :)

I just went to the McCormick Place calender of events and for our venue it states that we in the Lakeside building with Halls E and D1 & D2. I am intersted in seeing just how much bigger the crowd will be by combining all the waves. Our cluster is doing a conference call tonight and we have 4 1st timers going. The excitement continues to build!!! :D

Well, I actually managed to find a few things about 45 minutes from here at Cato. A pair of white pants for $16 and a paid of white (but denim material...oh well) capris for $15. I figured it'll be easy to find tops in my current wardrobe that match white bottoms. (-:My worry is that in slacks, I'm going to die. lol. I am taking the South Shore up from NW Indiana every day and then walking to McCormick Place. It's about a 30 minute walk. I just hope it's not too hot!

deanna_g said:
Well, I actually managed to find a few things about 45 minutes from here at Cato. A pair of white pants for $16 and a paid of white (but denim material...oh well) capris for $15. I figured it'll be easy to find tops in my current wardrobe that match white bottoms. (-:

My worry is that in slacks, I'm going to die. lol. I am taking the South Shore up from NW Indiana every day and then walking to McCormick Place. It's about a 30 minute walk. I just hope it's not too hot!

If you take the South Shore to (I think) Roosevelt, you're about a block from the Hilton, and you can catch a shuttle to McCormick!

It looks from the map you can take that all the way to McCormick place.http://www.nictd.com/systemmap.htmlOf course I have no idea personally...Actually if you get off at the Museum campus you just need to walk across the park and 2 blocks north on Michigan to the Hilton. If you get off at either of the last 2 stops it will put you even further north.

Last edited:
etteluap70PC said:
It looks from the map you can take that all the way to McCormick place.http://www.nictd.com/systemmap.htmlOf course I have no idea personally...Actually if you get off at the Museum campus you just need to walk across the park and 2 blocks north on Michigan to the Hilton. If you get off at either of the last 2 stops it will put you even further north.
You can TAKE it all the way to McCormick, but it only stops on Saturdays. :) (which I think is totally weird....)But we have always gotten off at Roosevelt, or the stop just before that one, and once you come up the stairs, you are only one block from the Hilton. We would be doing it again this year if we weren't staying at the McCormick Hyatt...

1. What is Pampered Chef?

Pampered Chef is a direct sales company that offers high-quality kitchen tools, cookware, and pantry items through in-home cooking shows and online sales.

2. What can I expect from my first Pampered Chef cooking show?

At your first Pampered Chef cooking show, you can expect to see a variety of kitchen tools and products in action as a consultant demonstrates how to use them to create delicious recipes. You will also have the opportunity to ask any questions you may have and sample some of the food being prepared.

3. How do I purchase Pampered Chef products?

You can purchase Pampered Chef products through a consultant at a cooking show, through their personal website, or by hosting your own cooking show and earning free products.

4. What are the benefits of becoming a Pampered Chef consultant?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, you have the opportunity to earn extra income, work flexible hours, and receive discounts on products. You also have access to training and support from the company and other consultants.

5. Is there a cost to host a Pampered Chef cooking show?

No, there is no cost to host a Pampered Chef cooking show. As a host, you will provide the location and invite guests, and the consultant will provide the products and recipes for the show.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
peachey
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
Replies
Views
Bren706
  • Kelley Sells
  • General Chat