• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

First Time Death in Family Ettiquete

J
Judybabe
My husband and I have been married 3 months and tonight his mother passed away. She lived in a nursing home. Today was also her birthday. 88 years.
Neat lady, always called me Terry's friend. LOL!

Believe it or not, I have not had a relative die near me before. My grandparents died, but they lived far away and we just went to the funerals, I didn't have to do anything.

We are the only family here, so I am assuming that the family coming in from out of town and friends etc. will show up here at my house?

I have no clue who to expect... should I make motel reservations? there's only one small motel here in town. the next nearest is 50 miles.

I need help with what do I do? I don't know very many people here. should I go get cold cuts etc.? what do I prepare for? I don't want to act like an idiot with my husband and his brother. (he's divorced, no wife to ask)

Terry has a brother that lives 200 miles from here, he'll be here by noon tomorrow, we invited him to stay here at the house, he can sleep in Lexi's room. (12 year old) he's about 60.

I will be reading this when I can Monday, but probably not much after that. Please any advice or suggestions I will accept gratefully.

thanks,
Judy

You should not have to make hotel reservations or put down deposits for anyone else's hotel room. Most extended family & friends understand that the immediate family is grieving and they make offers to do things for you vs. the other way around. When sending out notifications about the funeral, you can include the name, address & phone number for the hotel. Anyone who needs a room can call and make their own reservations.Most people will bring food to your house to keep you and your husband from having to think about that at this time. Paying for a funeral is VERY expensive (I've done it 3 times now ... Father, Grandmother & Grandfather) and the last thing on my mind was being the entertainer for anyone else coming to pay their respects.Some people do try to "keep busy" so they don't have to stop and think about their loss, but it's not expected. Offering a bed in your home to your brother-in-law is fine, but distant relatives need to be at the hotel. ;)

does your husband have a church home or alot of friends?If so, you will probably be taken care if food wise.When I take food to friends if its someone I'm really close too I always take a package of toilet tissue, box of kleenex, and paper plates, plastic cutlery, cups and napkins
Think how many times you are almost out of one of these things and now you have a house full of people just there to visit.

well we'll see what the day brings. I stayed up til 2 scrubbing the bathroom, kitchen and making zucchini bread. it's 7;30 and I'm up again to clean. We just moved into this house in June and are still living amongst boxes until the contractors get their work done.thanks for the tips.Judy

People will understand! I might have some extra coffee or tea on hand, so if you feel obligated to offer something, you will have it. This is a time when people will be concerned about your and your husband's needs.

Hey, if anyone ass if there is something to do, offer them up some laundry! (Hope that made you smile a little)

Judy,

One good thing about living in a small town is that the funeral home takes care of so much of everything for you! They will even notify people for you if you have a list for them. They will also act as your go between if people need to call to see where things are being held and what accommodations are available. Let them do it :)

Condolences,

AJPratt said:
Hey, if anyone ass if there is something to do, offer them up some laundry! (Hope that made you smile a little)

Feeling a little hostile toward possible guests? Your post did make me smile. :p

yeah, I caught that too! sublime hostility. got it going on here. trying to write an obituary tonight, everything to born in a sod house to the number of great grand kids. arguments on the number. One sibling wants kids given away and/or taken away listed. The other two simply said to put 'many great grand kids'.
One wants the word 'step' removed from her kids, but not from mine. Her step kids have been around 20 years. mine - 3 months.DH's nephew and wife sat here all day while I cleaned, mopped, vacuumed, baked etc. I made them lunch. I put them to work! didn't ask, just said here, sweep this up please. thanks for the suggestions. It's gonna be a long week!Judy

raebates said:
Feeling a little hostile toward possible guests? Your post did make me smile. :p

Wow. I am sure it did--on a few levels!

Judybabe said:
yeah, I caught that too! sublime hostility. got it going on here. trying to write an obituary tonight, everything to born in a sod house to the number of great grand kids. arguments on the number. One sibling wants kids given away and/or taken away listed. The other two simply said to put 'many great grand kids'.
One wants the word 'step' removed from her kids, but not from mine. Her step kids have been around 20 years. mine - 3 months.

DH's nephew and wife sat here all day while I cleaned, mopped, vacuumed, baked etc. I made them lunch. I put them to work! didn't ask, just said here, sweep this up please.

thanks for the suggestions. It's gonna be a long week!

Judy

Just remember, you are doing this for your DH. The rest of the family will eventually go home. They may just be acting out to avoid their feelings/grief. Family death makes people act strange.

I can't help you on the issue involving the children who have been removed from the family by legal means. That's definitely a sticky situation. Maybe just go of the suggestion of the biological parent? If they want them there, honor their wishes. If they don't the omit them.I can make a suggestion on the step-children. Instead of saying "____ children and ____step-children", rephrase to "____children & step children" - problem solved! ;)

Judy - I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for your loss - sorry you didn't get to have your mother in law for longer in your life. My MIL passed away 12 years ago (I'd only been married for 4 1/2 yrs) - it's very strange not to have that relationship in your life. May you have comfort and peace in the upcoming days.

I like that.

"____children & step children":D

last night I was in such a state of panic. stayed up way too late and got up way too early. gotta get some sleep now. my back is gonna sue me for separate maintainence!:indif:

My pastor did send me to a website on dealing with families and grief. that should help.:yuck:

also, did I mention that if you drop a 50 year old marble top that it shatters into a million pieces? thankfully, no toes were involved!:sing:

1. What are the first steps to take when experiencing a death in the family?

When experiencing a death in the family, it is important to first contact close family members and friends to inform them of the passing. You may also need to contact the funeral home or nursing home, if applicable, to make arrangements for the body. It is also a good idea to reach out to any religious or spiritual advisors for guidance and support.

2. How should I handle family and friends coming to visit during this time?

It is common for family and friends to come to visit during a time of mourning. It is a good idea to have a designated area in your home for visitors to gather and offer condolences. You may also want to consider making overnight accommodations for out-of-town guests, such as reserving a block of rooms at a nearby hotel.

3. Is it appropriate to make food or meal preparations for visitors?

It is common for visitors to bring food or meals during a time of mourning, but it is also appropriate for the host to provide food and refreshments. Cold cuts and simple dishes are often preferred, as they can be easily prepared and served to a large group. It is also a thoughtful gesture to inquire about any dietary restrictions or preferences of your guests.

4. How can I support my husband and his family during this time?

As the closest family members, it is important to offer emotional support to your husband and his brother during this time. This may include simply being present and listening to their thoughts and feelings, helping with funeral arrangements, or taking on household tasks or responsibilities to alleviate some of the burden. Additionally, it may be helpful to reach out to other family members or friends for support and to share memories of the loved one.

5. Are there any other important considerations I should keep in mind?

It is important to communicate openly with your husband and his family about any concerns or questions you may have. Also, be sure to take care of yourself during this difficult time by getting enough rest, eating well, and seeking support if needed. Finally, remember that there is no right or wrong way to grieve and it is important to allow yourself and others to process the loss in their own ways.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • esavvymom