• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Finding Arthritis Relief for My Senior Cat, Cirrus

In summary, my kitty Cirrus has turned 17 and is starting to have issues with jumping up on things and I was told that there are several glucosemine supplements, for arthritis, out there. I found one, Multi-Vite Senior, and was just wondering if any of you have had to use something over the counter? I found out that the vet needs to see him to get something that way, too expensive right now, so...I tried to use a similar product with my cat, but if you can get your cat to take a vitamin then you are doing much better than I was able to do! I found a TREAT for him that is chicken flavored and my sister the vet tech said give it a try.
pampered1224
Silver Member
My kitty, Cirrus, has turned 17! I am noticing that he is starting to have issues with jumping up on things and I was told that there are several glucosemine supplements, for arthritis, out there. I found one, Multi-Vite Senior. I was just wondering if any of you have had to use something over the counter? I found out that the vet needs to see him to get something that way, too expensive right now, so...

My DH works at a place called IFA and they sell a thing called DMSO, it helps animlas with arthritis. (IFA is a farm/feed store)

I tried to use a similar product with my cat, but if you can get your cat to take a vitamin then you are doing much better than I was able to do!

This thing I found, and I think I will give it a try is a TREAT for him. It is chicken flavored! My sister the vet tech said give it a try!
"These tasty chewables pack a powerful nutritional punch that complement your senior cat's diet. Containing glucosamine, taurine and essential vitamins and minerals, this tasty treat is a great reward for cats over 7 years of age.Guaranteed Analysis per Soft Chew: * Crude Protein (min) 16%
* Taurine (min) 0.7%
* Crude Fat (min) 10%
* Crude Fiber (max) 2%
* Moisture (max) 25%
* Ash (max) 6%
* Vitamin A (min) 90,000 IU/kg
* Vitamin D3 (min) 5,500 IU/kg
* Vitamin E (min) 250 IU/kg
* Vitamin B6 (min) 50 IU/kg
* Vitamin B12 (min) 125 IU/kg
* Thiamine (min) 54 mg/kg
* Riboflavin (min) 41 mg/kg
* Ascorbic Acid* (Vit. C) (min) 3,900 mg/kg
* Niacin (min) 511 mg/kg
* Folic Acid (min 8 mg/kg
* Pantothenic Acid (min) 55 mg/kg
* Glucosamine* (min) 100 mg/kg I need to note here that a lot of vets do carry a glucosamine supplement that is very expensive and will not be administered without a visit which in it self can be costly. I will do that when the time comes though. * Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFC) Cat Nutrient Profiles.Ingredients: Chicken, wheat flour, tapioca starch, corn syrup, soy flour,m glycerin, gelatin, hairball blend, wheat gluten, tuna, brewer's yeast, natural flavor, dextrose, phosphoric acid, cheese powder, salt, fish oil, potassium sorbate, glycine, whole dried eggs, mixed tocopherols, calcium carbonate, ascorbic acid, vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, biotin, vitamin A supplement with vitamin D3 supplement, calcium pantothenate, menadione sodium bisulfate complex, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, pyridoxineSuggested Use: Three (3) chews per day if 5 lbs. or less body weight; four (4) chews per day if over 5 lbs. body weight."My sister will be coming over in about a month and will take a look at him to see if this is working OK and that he is doing OK with it. Saves me some money but well, I keep watching him.

If anyone has an aging cat, I gotta tell you this stuff is awesome. I give him three each morning and he almost swallows them whole! But I have noticed very devious improvements. He no longer sits on the floor contemplating getting a drink, he uses a stool to get on the counter by the sink as he will NOT drink out of a bowl on the floor, now he just walks into the kitchen and just goes for it. He is up and around much more often. He is not sleeping as much. He pulls out toys and plays with them again! He does not twitch his back legs as much as I think the soreness and stiffness is dissipating for him. When he would lay on the couch on his side to be petted, he would shake his back legs, like humans do when they get cramps, stiffness or are just sore. And he has started doing one of his favorite things again. He wants to and does go down the back steps to sleep in the morning sun! That is what made me know he was doing better for sure. Those stairs! So, go for it. I only found them at Pet Smart though. So...

ChefBeckyD said:
I tried to use a similar product with my cat, but if you can get your cat to take a vitamin then you are doing much better than I was able to do!

I work with a feline rescue organization. It's not a "see it once and learn it type of thing" but if you know a vet, breeder, kennel owner, etc - someone who works with MANY animals they can show you how to easily and properly scruff a cat lower its jaw and pill them.

It will be significantly easier to learn this technique with your own pets as I tend to only do it with feral animals.

Good Luck, and thanks for so many dedicated years to your cat!! :thumbup::angel:

I have had much success with the cat "pill popper" that looks like a big plastic syringe. You can get it from a vet, pet store, or online. You just have to be quick about "popping" it!

Good luck!

The thing I used was the one I mentioned in the first post. It is a product by a company called Nutri-Vet and is a Chicken and Tuna flavored soft chew. He actually begs me for them. I give them to him, 3 for his weight, each morning and that is it. These are the Multi-Vite Senior chews. He is showing more and more activity and he does not do the shaking out of the legs like he was. I also noticed that he has been sitting on the bathroom sink like he used to do! When he hears me waking up, he gets to the bathroom, jumps into the bathtub, then up on it edge then up to the sink. He has not done that for almost months! He also is driving me crazy with wanting attention so much more as he is not sleeping anywhere near as much as he was! So I know he is feeling better.

Related to Finding Arthritis Relief for My Senior Cat, Cirrus

1. What are some common signs of arthritis in senior cats?

Some common signs of arthritis in senior cats include stiff or limping movements, difficulty getting up or lying down, reluctance to jump or climb, decreased activity levels, and changes in grooming habits.

2. How can I help ease my senior cat's arthritis pain?

There are several ways to help ease your senior cat's arthritis pain, such as providing soft and comfortable bedding, using ramps or stairs to help with movement, using heated beds or blankets, and giving joint supplements or anti-inflammatory medication as recommended by your veterinarian.

3. Are there any dietary changes that can benefit a senior cat with arthritis?

Yes, there are certain dietary changes that can benefit a senior cat with arthritis. Feeding a high-quality, balanced diet with added glucosamine and chondroitin can help support joint health. Additionally, maintaining a healthy weight can help reduce the strain on your cat's joints.

4. Can regular exercise help a senior cat with arthritis?

Yes, regular exercise can help a senior cat with arthritis. Low-impact activities such as gentle play sessions, short walks, or using interactive toys can help keep your cat's joints moving and improve muscle strength. However, it's important to consult with your veterinarian first to determine the appropriate level of exercise for your cat's condition.

5. Are there any at-home remedies for managing arthritis in senior cats?

There are some at-home remedies that may help manage arthritis in senior cats, such as providing a warm compress or using joint-specific massage techniques. However, it's important to consult with your veterinarian before trying any at-home remedies, as some may not be suitable for your cat's condition or may interfere with any prescribed medication.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
rennea
  • KellyTheChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • wadesgirl
  • Products and Tips
Replies