• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal My Kid May Have Drank a Bottle of Children's Dimetapp

In summary, Amanda washes her son's hair and when she gets downstairs he has two bottles of syrup medicine. One is Acetimeiphine with Codeine and the other is Children's Dimetapp. The red stuff (Codeine) was all over the counter and that's pretty bitter, so she's not as worried about that. But the Dimetapp is grape and he likes grape. There was not a drop of that on the counter but a little in a dishrag that it looked like he wiped a spill with. The nurse talked to her doctor on the phone and he said to watch him and if anything is out of the ordinary, bring him in.
Jessamary
I was in the shower and when I got downstairs, he told me he did something bad. He showed me two bottle of syrup medicine on the counter. One was Acetimeiphine with Codeine and the other was Children's Dimetapp. The red stuff (Codeine) was all over the counter and that's pretty bitter, so I'm not as worried about that. But the Dimetapp is grape and he likes grape. There was not a drop of that on the counter but a little in a dishrag that it looked like he wiped a spill with.

I called the doctor immediately. I talked with the nurse (small town...she knows us) who was talking to our doctor while I was on the phone. Dr. said to watch him and if anything is out of the ordinary, bring him in (only a few blocks).

I'm trying not to freak out because my doctor didn't seem to think it was something to freak out about. But I am! I'm in tears!

He's 3 and his name is Casey. It seems like I don't have shelves high enough or locks strong enough for this kid. He climbs everything and can take apart the child locks!

Does anyone know what I'm supposed to watch for? Like if he falls asleep or has a tummyache or something? I went online to look and it says stuff like liver damage and seizures.

Has anyone been through this before?

call the doctor back and ask specifically what you should watch for.

You could also call poison control. Hope everything's okay.
God bless,
Amanda

If your doctor doesn't answer your questions - call your local hospital and talk to someone in the ER - they probably have more experience with incidents like this. Good luck.

Also, something I learned in First Aid class when I was in college is to lock all medications in a lock box. That way only you have the key to get into it.
God bless,
Amanda

I'm sorry to hear about this! I would be freaking out too! My BF got a call from his daughters mother yesterday and she was crying because their 3 yo cut her own hair. She is into everything too though. Last week she took a box of Jiffy blue berry muffin mix, opened it and poured it into a bowl of pudding that was in the fridge. (all while mom was in the shower). When she was asked why she did that, she said because she wanted to cook just like Andrea. I think that one made her mom madder, but I thought it was sweet!

She's now spending the week with us because her mom can not control her anymore! She doesn't mess around for daddy though!

call Poison Control.

Thsi si why I get up at 5:30 am and shower while the kids are still sleeping. My 2 are into EVERYTHING and can even get out of the gates now. let us know how he is.

As an EMT, call poison control to be sure. Doctors aren't supposed to be the answer for everything and don't normally deal with overdoses. It's in his system now, so it may have to work its course, however, Poison Control will let you know if he needs to go to the ER to have anything done or be monitored.

Let me add again to CALL right away!Dimetapp usually contains pseudoephedrine which in children will make their heart race. He should be monitored! (Check your bottle to see if the kids version has this).

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100082&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod2630222#warning

Warnings * Do not use in a child under 2 years of age.
* Ask a doctor before use if you have
o heart disease
o high blood pressure
o thyroid disease
o diabetes
o trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate gland
o glaucoma
o a breathing problem such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis
* Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking sedatives or tranquilizers.
* When using this product
o do not use more than directed
o drowsiness may occur
o avoid alcoholic beverages
o alcohol, sedatives, and tranquilizers may increase drowsiness
o be careful when driving a motor vehicle or operating machinery
o excitability may occur, especially in children
* Stop use and ask a doctor if
o you get nervous, dizzy, or sleepless
o symptoms do not get better within 7 days or are accompanied by fever
* If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use.
* Keep out of reach of children.
* In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
* Packaged with tamper-evident bottle cap.
* Do not use if breakable ring is separated or missing.

My daughter is the exact same way. She climbs on everything and got into a bottle of dimetapp when she was little. From what I could tell, she drank a bunch of it and spilled it as well. I did call poison control and they had me read them the exact name on the bottle and everything. They said she would probably be just fine. I estimated she may have drank 1/4 cup and they still said it wouldn't do anything to her. I would call just to set your mind at ease.

Thanks for everyone's response. I called back to the doctor and another nurse told me to call Poison Control. I just got off the phone with them. This lady was great. She took all the pertinent info and did some math calculations. What she said was watch him to see if he becomes shaky and very agitated - like a temper tantrum that doesn't go away - if he does, call back right away and we'll probably end up at the ER. She was very relaxed and upbeat, which is great because I'm NOT. She's calling back in 2 hours regardless to see how he's doing.

She said she has a 4 year old and she keeps all her meds in a tacklebox with a padlock. Not a bad idea.

I feel like freakin' mother of the year today.

Last edited:
Oh, and Janet, my bottle of Children's Dimetapp does not have that ingredient, thankfully, Even the Poison Control lady was relieved of this. :)

Jessamary said:
Thanks for everyone's response. I called back to the doctor and another nurse told me to call Poison Control. I just got off the phone with them. This lady was great. She took all the pertinent info and did some math calculations. What she said was watch him to see if he becomes shaky and very agitated - like a temper tantrum that doesn't go away - if he does, call back right away and we'll probably end up at the ER. She was very relaxed and upbeat, which is great because I'm NOT. She's calling back in 2 hours regardless to see how he's doing.

She said she has a 4 year old and she keeps all her meds in a tacklebox with a padlock. Not a bad idea.

Believe me when I tell you that we all end up feeling that way from time to time...you're human, so you can't beat yourself up about this. I can't tell you how many times my kids have done something that just made me want to crawl into a hole and hide, but at the end of the day you have to know that you're definitely not alone in this. Keep us posted and we'll pray that everything works out...if I've learned anything from being on CS, it's that everyone here will be supportive of you when you're going through a rough time. :)

For anyone that does not know this, ALWAYS call poison control if you think your child has taken anything like this (medication, cleaning supplies, whatever). There are alot of poisons that do not produce any symptoms until it is too late, but that can be treated if done immediately.

One very common one is children overdosing on iron; it can be overdosed with pretty small amounts. So especially if your child takes gummy vitamins and really likes them, keep them well out of reach!!

Jessamary said:
Oh, and Janet, my bottle of Children's Dimetapp does not have that ingredient, thankfully, Even the Poison Control lady was relieved of this. :)

Good, I'm glad too! ...and very glad you called Poison Control. Always better safe than sorry.

...and don't feel bad...kids get into stuff. I was blessed with 2 that have NEVER touched anything. One did cut her own hair twice, but oh well. They stay away from chemicals, etc. However, I have friends who are CONSTANTLY dealing with kids into stuff.

Oh, we went through this just recently! Horrible! My DH was home with 3yo DS and when I came home he said, "Okay, don't panic." Yeah, like anything following that statement is good news! He said DS drank a little orange cleaning solution. Here's the kicker: we keep them in a locked cabinet in a locked room that isn't even in the house! They're in a detached garage! DH had gotten it out to clean something off and left it on the ground, then took DS out there while I was gone. Luckily DS was fine, but I was a wreck!

I hope your little guy is okay. It's a good reminder to get everything out of their reach!

Jess, please let us know if he is ok...

I was watching a program months ago, I think the Today show, and they were talking about how kids ingest cleaning products and most of the time they do it because of the "fruit picture" on the bottle, example : Orange Scented Lysol, with the orange slices on the label, or Lemon scented Pine Sol w/ lemons on the label...they were really saying how these labels confuse kids so after I saw that, I showed my dd my bottle of Pine Sol w/ a fruit something on it and I asked her if she would ever drink it, she looked at me like I was crazy and said "NO!" I asked her why not and she said "because you clean the toilet w/ it!" (smart girl) I then told her that anything she happens to want to drink must come from the fridge and that that cabinet in particular she was not even supposed to touch (which she never had)....

Everything is a learning experience, don't beat yourself up over it, things happen, and most likely he will be fine!

I do like the thought of a lock box though for meds, or a really high shelf in the kitchen that you might store your hardly used items in...I have a shelf above my fridge that if I had to worry about something like that I'd put that kind of thing in.

I took his heart rate, which was normal. He seems to be fine, thankfully.

This is our third time calling poison control...each time it's for Casey. Last year, he sprayed Lysol Kitchen Cleaner in his eyes (sprayed the shower on his eyes for 15 minutes) and earlier this year, he found some deoderant and was feeding it to his little sister. (She was fine.)

He's my middle child. Maybe he just does all this for attention. Or, as my dad says, "He's just an....active...kid."

for anyone who might want to jot this down.. poison control's national US # 1-800-222-1222

Jessamary said:

This does NOT make you a bad mother!!! I know it is hard to not beat yourself up about it b/c I have been there a few times myself already.

reminds me of the yuck magnets we used to have everywhere as a kid.
why don't they have those anymore anyway?

Kodeysmom said:
reminds me of the yuck magnets we used to have everywhere as a kid.
why don't they have those anymore anyway?

They probably had trouble with kids eating them. :yuck: LOL!

Don't feel bad, Jessamary. Every parent at one time or another feels like the worst parent ever. Frankly, it's kind of surprising that any of us survive our childhood.

Yuk stickers are back, I've seen them in our pediatrician's office.

http://www.chp.edu/CHP/Mr.+YukAt the bottom is how to request a free sheet of stickers.

Don't feel like a bad mom. My DS is 2 and i've called Poison Control 5 times. He's very active and into everything in a second. I basically have to sit on him. :O) LOL . I hope your little man is ok.

Just thought I would tell you not to feel bad too, I don't ever even call poisen control anymore, I just do what they always tell you, watch them and have them drink lots of liquid. This year when my kids got colds I refused to buy any cold medicine because they always get into it, finally I broke down because they were coughing so hard and you guessed it they drank the whole bottle the next day! It happens to all of us. My baby tried eating dishwasher detergant, I could tell these stories all day. This morning my five year old comes into my bedroom and says mom the phone is for you, ok who could it be this early? I finally clear my voice and say hello? It is KET tv (our public broadcasting station) my son CALLED them to make a pledge!!!!

My daughter drank a little Campho Phenique (sp?) we called and found out even 1/2 tsp was lethal at her size... so off to the er we went. Always call poison control.. even if it is something like crayons. They know it all and can give the best advice. My Dr said it probably would be ok... doctors are not experts in that area and don't know.

My neighbor down the street growing up started the little YUCK stickers.. You show them to kids and tell them this is yuck stuff and put a sticker on anything Yucky. Maybe that will come back out. But locking everything up is a must.. especially with the little ones who are so curious. Please keep us posted... Hope he is fine and that you are too. Our hearts are with you. Been there.. done that..

cincychef said:
Just thought I would tell you not to feel bad too, I don't ever even call poisen control anymore, I just do what they always tell you, watch them and have them drink lots of liquid. This year when my kids got colds I refused to buy any cold medicine because they always get into it, finally I broke down because they were coughing so hard and you guessed it they drank the whole bottle the next day! It happens to all of us. My baby tried eating dishwasher detergant, I could tell these stories all day. This morning my five year old comes into my bedroom and says mom the phone is for you, ok who could it be this early? I finally clear my voice and say hello? It is KET tv (our public broadcasting station) my son CALLED them to make a pledge!!!!

LOL, this one made me laugh! He was just trying to help!

Kids are great! Nothing is every boring when they are around!

1. What should I do if my child has accidentally consumed a bottle of Children's Dimetapp?

If your child has consumed a bottle of Children's Dimetapp, it is important to remain calm and seek medical advice immediately. Contact your child's doctor or call poison control for further instructions.

2. What are the potential risks of consuming Children's Dimetapp?

The potential risks of consuming Children's Dimetapp include liver damage and seizures. However, the severity of these risks depends on the amount of medication consumed and the child's overall health. It is important to seek medical attention to monitor for any potential complications.

3. What are the signs and symptoms I should watch for after my child has consumed Children's Dimetapp?

Some signs and symptoms to watch for after your child has consumed Children's Dimetapp include drowsiness, difficulty breathing, nausea, vomiting, and changes in behavior. If you notice any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.

4. How can I prevent my child from accessing medication in the future?

To prevent your child from accessing medication in the future, it is important to keep all medications out of reach and locked away. Consider using childproof locks on cabinets or storing medications in a locked box. It is also important to educate your child about the importance of not consuming medication without adult supervision.

5. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation with their child consuming Children's Dimetapp?

If you are a parent who has experienced a similar situation with your child consuming Children's Dimetapp, it is important to seek medical attention and closely monitor your child for any potential complications. It can also be helpful to connect with other parents who have gone through a similar experience for support and advice.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ShelbyMichalek
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Jess_K
  • General Chat
2 3