• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Navigating Farmer's Markets: Advice from Experienced Vendors

In summary, Judy was considering doing a booth at a Farmer's Market this year and was unsure if she would be able to attend due to her upcoming conference. She was accepted to do a booth and is excited to have the opportunity to learn more about the business. She is scared because she does not know how to do everything and does not want to make any mistakes.
jj16
Gold Member
Some of you who have more experience. I was considering doing a booth at a Farmer's Market. My only hesitation is that they say you have to be there every week 2 absences and you're out. My problem is that the week of conference #2 will come at the same time. I would really love to go since I'm brand new and would really like the jump start. I have the option of signing up by section and I was considering signing up for the last 2 sections and not the 1st because of conference. Any suggestions. By passing up the 1st section(5 weeks) do I risk losing a lot? Also any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement this site has provided so far.

I think any amount of time you get to go is worth it. And even if you sign up for all of them you are only planning to miss the week of conference. Do you have a cluster mate who isn't planning to attend conference that could substitute in for you that week?

I did a farmers market with my hospitality director last year. She simply made salsa there at the table and used the fresh ingredients from the farmers market. Salsa shows a lot of stuff and with a big bag of chips can offer samples to a lot of people. Just a thought.

My director lives in a nearby city that has a farmer's market. She lets us take turns every Saturday. It is also a "commitment requirement" but because it is split up among us it is always covered. Not all of us are going to conference so it will be covered.

If you need more information about what I do there I would be happy to help.

Thanks for all the support. I went ahead and did the full season and signed up for a couple of freebie days that they throw in for the full season vendors. Wish me luck this is my first one. I'll let you know if I get accepted.

With the salsa did you have to have a food handler's license? They are pretty strict so I was thinking of just doing a demo using the food chopper, garlic peeler, garlic slicer, and garlic press.

Thank you sooo much for all the tips and encouragement! You all have been awesome.

Judy

Just thought I'd let ya all know that I got accepted to be a vendor at the Farmer's Market. I'm pretty excited and scared. Excited because it will be for 15 weeks plus for the full season vendors they throw in Octoberfest and one extra event for free. Right now even though things are slow I'm just trying to get my name out there plus I think this will be good experience for me. It doesn't start until June so I will have some time to prepare. Thanks for all the support. Judy

Good Luck!!!

Get someone to cover for you - spouse, friend, consider hiring a temp?!

1. How do I know which vendors to buy from at a farmer's market?

It's always a good idea to take a stroll around the entire market before making any purchases. Take note of which vendors have the freshest produce, the most variety, and the longest lines. These are usually the vendors that are most popular and trusted by customers.

2. Is it okay to sample the produce before buying?

Most vendors are more than happy to let customers sample their produce before making a purchase. Just be sure to ask politely and only sample small pieces to ensure that there's enough for everyone to try.

3. How can I tell if the produce is organic?

It's always a good idea to ask the vendor directly if their produce is organic. Many vendors will proudly display a sign or label indicating that their produce is organic. You can also look for certain certifications or ask about their farming practices to determine if the produce is organic.

4. What should I do if I'm not sure how to prepare a certain type of produce?

Don't be afraid to ask the vendor for tips or recipe ideas! They are usually very knowledgeable about their produce and can offer helpful suggestions on how to prepare it. You can also do a quick online search for recipes using the specific produce you purchased.

5. Can I negotiate prices with the vendors?

In most cases, the prices at a farmer's market are already set and cannot be negotiated. However, it never hurts to ask if they have any special deals or discounts available. Some vendors may also offer bulk discounts if you purchase a larger quantity of produce.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • jj16
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • jj16
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies