• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Family-Friendly Vacation Ideas for Your Next Getaway | Western KY 10hr Drive

although I'm sure there are cheaper options.We have decided on Myrtle Beach, SC. I took my daughter there w/ friends 2 yrs ago and LOVED it. I have a friend that lives in NC so we are going to split the drive and stay one night with her.
mom2leelee
Good morning everyone. I need some advice on where to go for our family vacation this year. We have a 4 yr old daughter and want to make sure that we go somewhere with lots of fun stuff to keep her entertained. We live in western KY and really don't want to fly anywhere and keep the drive under 10hrs. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

How far is Disney for you?
We have taken our kids 4 times (always driving from Dallas). Our 18 year old wanted to go again last year over Hawaii.
but 4 is the "MAGICAL" age for Disney they still believe

We LOVE Pigeon Forge, TN. I do not think that is too far from you. LOADS And LOADS of things to do for all ages. We go at least one each year and have for the last 5 years.

How about PennsylvaniaAnd do the "kid friendly" route. Hershey factory, Strasburg railroad, Sesame Street Amuzement park and the Crayola Factory. We took my son when he was 2 (he's now 4) and he still talks about it. He keeps asking when can we go back.

When we were kids, we would do a lot of little excursion instead of big vacations. We lived outside of Chicago, and we would take little trips to Galena, Illinois; Dubuque, Iowa; Springfield, IL. And then when we wanted a longer trip - my parents would just string a couple of small trips along. No car ride was more than 3 or 4 hours - great for kids. Plus, we would do a lot of excursioning for history and hiking. While younger kids may not get the history part of some stuff... you can make it a lot of fun, by asking them to draw something, hiking through a trail that the Indians or early Settlers used or all kinds of stuff.

Go to your library and check out books on traveling with kids (you can buy them too if you want to write in them and take notes) and it will give you tons of ideas.

Plus, by traveling this way... you save a lot of money!!! Disney and the theme parks - while tons of fun - can be quite costly!!!

Good luck and let us know what you decide. And remember the most important thing is that you are all together and RELAXING and having FUN!!!!

I personally don't like vacations where there is so much to do and not any relaxing going on... I have sooo much to do at home... and I don't wish to repeat it on vacation!!!

GOOD LUCK! ;)

ltkacz said:
And do the "kid friendly" route. Hershey factory, Strasburg railroad, Sesame Street Amuzement park and the Crayola Factory. We took my son when he was 2 (he's now 4) and he still talks about it. He keeps asking when can we go back.

That's what we are doing in a couple of years. My baby turns one tomorrow... so, we are planning that trip when he is about 5....

Me personally, I am a HUGE Crayola nut and that is going to be TONS of fun for me!!!

We also plan on doing the whole Philadelphia Historical Stuff - it'll be a great vacay in a few years!

Thanks for mentioning it!

We did hit PhiliWhile we were there too. Although he was only 2, he had a blast.

Thanks! Disney is out of our price range for now. I'm going to research Pigeon Forge it sounds like fun and not to far of a drive. We have been talking about going to PA because I have family in Leechburg (outside of Pittsburg) but that's that the long end of our preferred driving time.

mom2leelee said:
Thanks! Disney is out of our price range for now. I'm going to research Pigeon Forge it sounds like fun and not to far of a drive. We have been talking about going to PA because I have family in Leechburg (outside of Pittsburg) but that's that the long end of our preferred driving time.

I forgot to add that Galinburg is next door to Pigeon Forge and has more things to do. I love staying in a cabin when we go. If you to, I can list you some places I look for cabins.

There's Holiday World in Santa Claus, Indiana and if you or your little one is into horses, Breyerfest and Equiliocity will be in Lexington, KY in July.

We have decided on Myrtle Beach, SC. I took my daughter there w/ friends 2 yrs ago and LOVED it. I have a friend that lives in NC so we are going to split the drive and stay one night with her.Any suggestions as to what part of Myrtle Beach to stay in?

I'd stay around 21st ave. in myrtle beach. You should be able to get a place right on the ocean for a reasonable amount in march.

I've been thinking about family friendly and frugal vacations and here's what I came up with:

Make a list of what you and your kids enjoy during a vacation. Here's some examples of ours:
*maid service including clean sheets everyday
*eating out
*swimming pool
*kid activities all day

Really, our list doesn't include anything we would need to fly a long ways to do. So, just drive to a close town or the otherside of your own town and get a hotel and arrange for fun kid activities. Fun and easy! Also, if anything unexpected were to happen, you're close enough to drive home.

Are you over 10 hours from the Outer Banks of NC? I live near there so of course I am partial, but they are wonderful, not too crowded and lots to do for kids. PA sounds good too - I have never been to Hershey Park but my daughter did with her highschool chorus and loved it.

Related to Family-Friendly Vacation Ideas for Your Next Getaway | Western KY 10hr Drive

1. What are some family-friendly activities to do in Western KY?

Some family-friendly activities in Western KY include visiting Mammoth Cave National Park, exploring the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area, and touring the National Quilt Museum.

2. Are there any kid-friendly accommodations in Western KY?

Yes, there are several kid-friendly accommodations in Western KY, such as resorts with water parks and campgrounds with family-friendly activities and amenities.

3. What are some budget-friendly options for a family vacation in Western KY?

Some budget-friendly options for a family vacation in Western KY include camping at one of the many state parks, visiting free attractions such as the Kentucky Dam Village State Resort Park, and taking advantage of discounted rates at hotels during off-peak seasons.

4. What are some must-try dishes in Western KY?

Some must-try dishes in Western KY include the famous Kentucky hot brown sandwich, BBQ pork from local restaurants, and homemade pies from bakeries in the area.

5. Is it safe to travel with children in Western KY?

Yes, Western KY is generally a safe destination for families. However, it is always important to practice caution and follow safety guidelines while traveling with children, such as keeping an eye on them in crowded areas and following traffic laws when driving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • ChefJWarren
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
Replies
Views
jcwarr