• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Experience Magic in the Kitchen with Our Perogy Pots - Kids Approved!

There is no definitive Ukranian spelling for "perogy". Some people might spell it "pierogi", while others might spell it "perogies".
stefani2
I have a Host who purchased the SS set when she hosted her Show. Her kids (age 6, 4, and 2) helped her unpack her free product. They were jumping up and down with excitement that the "Kitchen Lady" brought them presents! Her oldest unwrapped one of the stockpots and said "Mom, this is the Perogy Pot!!" (even though he DOES NOT eat perogies). Anyways, she cooked their first meal in the cookware and the kids watched. At supper, the two oldest were talking about how the "kitchen lady brought us MAGIC POTS because the perogies were yummy - and don't taste the way that mommy used to make them!!!" :)

Great story!

And I'm sure it would be funnier if I knew what a perogy was.

That is soooo cute. You have to tell it at your shows.

So cute!Katie, a pierogi is a Polish dumpling, similar to a ravioli. They're usually circles, folded over (so the final shape is a half-circle). The most common fillings are potato and cheese, although you can frequently find sauerkraut or mushroom (usually in combination with potato or cheese). My aunt-in-law (DH's aunt) makes dozens fresh for Christmas, and some are prune filled, like a dessert. There's a little family-owned pierogi shop near me that makes about 20 different varieties, including breakfast ones with bacon, egg and cheese in them. Pierogi are usually boiled. I like mine boiled and then pan fried so they turn golden brown and get a little crispy.

chefann said:
So cute!

Katie, a pierogi is a Polish dumpling, similar to a ravioli. They're usually circles, folded over (so the final shape is a half-circle). The most common fillings are potato and cheese, although you can frequently find sauerkraut or mushroom (usually in combination with potato or cheese). My aunt-in-law (DH's aunt) makes dozens fresh for Christmas, and some are prune filled, like a dessert. There's a little family-owned pierogi shop near me that makes about 20 different varieties, including breakfast ones with bacon, egg and cheese in them. Pierogi are usually boiled. I like mine boiled and then pan fried so they turn golden brown and get a little crispy.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:love:

chefann said:
So cute!

Katie, a pierogi is a Polish dumpling, similar to a ravioli. They're usually circles, folded over (so the final shape is a half-circle). The most common fillings are potato and cheese, although you can frequently find sauerkraut or mushroom (usually in combination with potato or cheese). My aunt-in-law (DH's aunt) makes dozens fresh for Christmas, and some are prune filled, like a dessert. There's a little family-owned pierogi shop near me that makes about 20 different varieties, including breakfast ones with bacon, egg and cheese in them. Pierogi are usually boiled. I like mine boiled and then pan fried so they turn golden brown and get a little crispy.

That's how I cook mine! Yummy....even better with a bit of sour cream added to the top!

BTW- I am super jealous! I have never had homemade pierogi! I am inviting myself over this Christmas. Oh wait...my whole family will have to come cuz I will have a nursing newborn then! Better start making room for us! LOL

KellyTheChef said:
That's how I cook mine! Yummy....even better with a bit of sour cream added to the top!

BTW- I am super jealous! I have never had homemade pierogi! I am inviting myself over this Christmas. Oh wait...my whole family will have to come cuz I will have a nursing newborn then! Better start making room for us! LOL

That's what I was going to say! I flavor the sour cream with just a little garlic, and also sprinkle some bacon crumbles on top....mmmmmm!

yum-oHoly crow! Now I have a MAJOR craving!!! - Guess I know what I am having for supper - LOL.

KellyTheChef said:

Let me check my recipe file when I have a chance. My mom gave me a recipe for homemade pierogi that doesn't require rolling and cutting dough. I think I still have it someplace.

When you find it, please post... sounds like something my kids would love!

Mmm, good, I am polish, and I eat pieroghi's all the time. It takes a long time to make from scratch , So I americanized and stuff large shell noodles . Saves time. Another way, is same ingredients but make it with loaf of bread dough..

spelling?Is there a Ukranian spelling for 'perogy'. Maybe my spelling is the word is the CDN. version - and if there is NO SUCH THING - then I am OFFICIALLY claiming PEROGY to be the CDN spelling!!! LOL

(or at least the 'Jenna' way of spelling it! HA HA)

chefann said:
So cute!

Ann, is that store Lila's? My friend owns that if it is that one! And they are yummy!!

chefann said:
Let me check my recipe file when I have a chance. My mom gave me a recipe for homemade pierogi that doesn't require rolling and cutting dough. I think I still have it someplace.
That would be great if you find it!
Thanks!

Do you add sauce or anything like that to them. Or just eat them plain?

Kelly V.

my momMy mom boils hers, then frys it quick to make it a bit crispy. She makes a sauce outta sour cream and dill - and it is wicked! :)

PCMelissa said:
Ann, is that store Lila's? My friend owns that if it is that one! And they are yummy!!
Yes! You know them? That's awesome!! I've only been there a couple of times, but I keep meaning to go back. LOVE their potato and garlic filled!

===
Pierogi is the plural, by the way. Pierog is singular. Spelling varies, because the Polish and Ukranian alphabets are so different from English.

===

I did find the recipe my mom gave me. But if you want to really shortcut, you can use shells (as mentioned above) or homemade pasta sheets (use a pasta machine instead of rolling it out).

Rosemarie's Pierogi
Beat together:
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sour cream

Add:
2 cups flour
1/4 cup cold water

Work well with hands. Divide into 20 balls. Flatten each ball in palm or on countertop. Fill. Seal with egg white. Boil.
--
That's it. As I re-read it, it occurred to me that dough shrinks when rolled when it hasn't had a resting period. Which this dough doesn't, either. So let it rest a bit before you make them, and you'll save yourself some heartache. They also don't need a LOT of filling, either. Just a teaspoon or so - leave enough edge that you can seal them well.

Good fillings:
  • mashed potato (go ahead and use leftovers or the pre-mashed ones from the fridge case at the grocery)
  • mashed potato mixed with ricotta cheese
  • potato with shredded cheddar cheese
  • sauerkraut
  • mushrooms
  • sauerkraut and mushrooms
  • sauerkraut and kielbasa (cut into teeny pieces)
  • DH's family is partial to prune
  • http://www.lilaspierogi.com/index.html (the shop I mentioned above) has blueberry ones seasonally

You can just boil them, or boil and pan fry. That's what I do - a little butter (for flavor) and a little oil. Add a pinch of salt and a little fresh pepper. Serve with sour cream (a sprinkle of sugar for the sweet ones like prune).

Pierogi-newbie question... how long do you boil them?

Please stop!!! I'm really trying to lose that last 10lbs. I love pierogi's anything you can add bacon and sour cream to as you know must be good :)

katie0128 said:
Pierogi-newbie question... how long do you boil them?

Until the rise to the top of the boiling water.

Easy enough to remember...

Now someone tell me how to pronounce the name of these things.

per-OH-gee. (hard "g", not a j sound)

Someone's flying in stealth mode this morning!

Oh and thanks!

What are Perogy Pots and how do they work?

Perogy Pots are specially designed pots that make cooking perogies (traditional Eastern European dumplings) easier and faster. They have a unique shape that allows for even heating and prevents the perogies from sticking together. They also have a non-stick coating for easy cleanup.

Are Perogy Pots safe for kids to use?

Yes, our Perogy Pots are safe for kids to use with adult supervision. The handles stay cool to the touch and the non-stick coating prevents any potential burns from sticking perogies.

Can I use Perogy Pots for other types of cooking?

While Perogy Pots are specifically designed for cooking perogies, they can also be used for other types of dumplings, such as pierogies, ravioli, and even small vegetables like Brussels sprouts or baby carrots.

Do I need to use oil or butter with Perogy Pots?

No, the non-stick coating on our Perogy Pots means you do not need to use any oil or butter to prevent sticking. This makes for a healthier cooking option.

Are Perogy Pots dishwasher safe?

Yes, our Perogy Pots are dishwasher safe. However, we recommend hand washing to prolong the life of the non-stick coating.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Paula R. Lewis
Replies
Views
trps
Replies
Views
PamperedTammy
  • Jennie50
  • Pampered Chef Shows