• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

theHistory of 'Aprons'i Don't Think Our Kids Know What an Apron

In summary, aprons were a staple in the past, used for various purposes such as protecting dresses, carrying eggs and vegetables, wiping brows, and even hiding shy children. They were a symbol of hard work and tradition, passed down from grandmothers to granddaughters. While they may not be as commonly used now, they hold special memories and nostalgia for many.
krzymomof4
Silver Member
The History of 'APRONS'

I don't think our kids know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears .

When Grandma rocked us to sleep, she would cover us with her Apron, we felt so snug wrapped in it.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

Send this to those who would know, and love the story about Grandma's aprons.

REMEMBER:
Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool -Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs was on that apron. I don't think I ever caught anything from a Apron.

Ok I'm crying already......

ApronThank you for the trip down memory lane. My mother didn't wear them very much, but my grandmother did, and yes, whoo, mighty nice memories!!!! I'm a grandmother myself now. Maybe I should wear one more often!
Lindsay

Wow, I'd never really thought about it before, my grandma had an apron on every time I ever went to see her!
I think I thought it was just her being eccentric!:p
Maybe I'll start wearing aprons!

My grandmother too wore an apron at the house all the time. I am so glad you sent this it brought back many memories! When she passed away I was so excited that no one else wanted her apron because I did. It hangs in my kitchen . I don't where one except at my shows, but often wish I had when I am a mess.

What is the history of aprons?

The use of aprons dates back to ancient times, where they were worn by both men and women as a practical garment for cooking, cleaning, and other household tasks.

When did aprons become popular in America?

Aprons became popular in America during the 19th and early 20th centuries, when women were expected to stay at home and take care of the household. Aprons were seen as a symbol of domesticity and were worn by women of all social classes.

How have aprons evolved over time?

In the early 20th century, aprons were typically made from plain, sturdy fabrics like cotton or linen. As time went on, aprons became more fashionable and were often decorated with ruffles, lace, and embroidery. Today, aprons come in a variety of styles, materials, and designs to suit different purposes and personal tastes.

What are some common styles of aprons?

The most common styles of aprons include bib aprons, waist aprons, and cobbler aprons. Bib aprons cover the chest and tie at the waist, waist aprons tie at the waist and cover the lower half of the body, and cobbler aprons cover both the front and back of the body with a tie at the waist.

Are aprons still relevant in modern times?

While aprons may not be as commonly worn in modern times, they still serve a practical purpose in protecting clothing while cooking and cleaning. They have also become a popular fashion accessory and can be found in many kitchen and home goods stores.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• candiejayne
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jilleysue
Replies
Views
susanr613
  • PigletsMom
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies