• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Eliminate Musty Smell from Cloth: Solution Found!

I have a guest coming over in a few hours and I don't want them to smell bad!any white vinegar will do - I use Bragg's.
RossDeb2
Gold Member
I have a guest looking for a solution. She purchased a cloth (not from our company but pretty similar) and it has a musty smell. She has tried washing it several times, hanging it out to dry but the smell will not come out. I know I have seen a solution to this somewhere??? I know its the fibers that have it trapped, I just can't remember what to do to get rid of the smell. TFYH. I know if I bring the answer to this at the next party, they will scoop these towels up. They really like them but the one guest has had such a problem with this.

has she been using fabric softener? that's a big no no with microfiber.Wash it in the hottest water possible with some vinegar and NO SOAP. That should help.

I think I remember somewhere that Dawn soap can cause that. I've got the same trouble. Haven't switched soaps yet 'cuz I get Dawn from Sam's by the big jug! :)

I agree with Debbie - I always wash mine with vinegar.

Thank you. I will pass on the suggestions.

Yes...Dawn soap will cause it to stink to high heaven! I don't buy it anymore and haven't had a problem with musty smells in it since I changed to Palmolive dish soap.

I also wash mine with vinegar IN the wash, and vinegar in my softener cup. You can't use fabric softener on them. But I doubt that the fab softener would make it stink...but it will make it so it is not absorbant any more.

KellyTheChef said:
But I doubt that the fab softener would make it stink...but it will make it so it is not absorbent any more.
Fabric softener does that to all fabrics, it's just more obvious with microfiber. Softener works by coating the fibers so that there are no sharp/rough edges. But the coating means that liquids can't get into the fibers easily. So if you want any of your towels to be absorbent, don't use any fabric softener on them.

chefann said:
Fabric softener does that to all fabrics, it's just more obvious with microfiber. Softener works by coating the fibers so that there are no sharp/rough edges. But the coating means that liquids can't get into the fibers easily. So if you want any of your towels to be absorbent, don't use any fabric softener on them.

Yep! Thanks to the smart people on here, I have been using vinegar as my "fabric softener" on my towels (microfiber, kitchen, bathroom) for over a year now! You can smell it slightly when you pull them out of the washer and they are wet, but once dry you can't smell it at all! I just fill my softener cup all the way with vinegar...

It also cuts the mildew smell if you forget a load in the washer! I just dump about a cup of vinegar IN the wash, add my soap, and wash again!

KellyTheChef said:
Yep! Thanks to the smart people on here, I have been using vinegar as my "fabric softener" on my towels (microfiber, kitchen, bathroom) for over a year now! You can smell it slightly when you pull them out of the washer and they are wet, but once dry you can't smell it at all! I just fill my softener cup all the way with vinegar...

It also cuts the mildew smell if you forget a load in the washer! I just dump about a cup of vinegar IN the wash, add my soap, and wash again!

Glad to know I'm not the only one who does this!:D

ChefBeckyD said:
Glad to know I'm not the only one who does this!:D

Did I say *I* do this...I am SURE it must be someone ELSE in the house who leaves them there and forgets about them!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Vinegar!! Oh that's what I should do! I've had such a hard time figuring out how to get rid of the sour smell from some clothes that were left too long in the washer. I've tried Clorox 2, OxyClean, different detergents, all three of that together, and nothing has done it. Now I'll try the vinegar trick! Thanks!

I use vinegar all the time. I have a 5 year old son that forgets to tell me when he has an misses the potty, a cat that will pee in clothes if his potty is not totally clean and 25 year old DH that forgets to tell me he washed clothes last night that need to be dried. So I clean old school a lot. (which is the best) I buy vinegar (by the gal) as much as I buy bleach if not more. It's cheaper too.

what kind of vinegar? I am really scared to try this because I don't want to use it wrong and have even stinkier clothing.

white (clear kind) vinegar

Thanks Vanessa.

I have some microfiber dishclothes, faceclothes, The very best way and I know this sounds strange is to boil them for a few minutes. This is truly amazing and unless you try you would not believe it. The water turns murky and the cloth smells like nothing. This is even after if came out of the washing machine.

Well, I tried the vinegar with my laundry and it worked!! :) I'm SO happy to be rid of that mildew smell!!!! Thanks so much for the tip!

Becky0216 said:
what kind of vinegar? I am really scared to try this because I don't want to use it wrong and have even stinkier clothing.
When vinegar drys there should be no smell.

babywings76 said:
Well, I tried the vinegar with my laundry and it worked!! :) I'm SO happy to be rid of that mildew smell!!!! Thanks so much for the tip!

Cool! I have used vinegar a ton in the past year...it just has so many uses!

Now I need to stock up and buy a big jug! ;)

Also, it helps to to use a new wash cloth each day. I wash my washcloths and towels in hot water, always. Yes, I use vinegar if I forget to get the wash load into the dryer w/in 24 hours. I only have the stinky problem during the warm months.

KellyTheChef said:

now i have to go home and try this! we left a load of whites in the wash this weekend. everything stinks! so i rewashed it and it still stinks! every load after that my bf was intently watching to switch it out once it finished. haha. thanks for the tip :eek:

KellyTheChef said:
Cool! I have used vinegar a ton in the past year...it just has so many uses!

Yes, but it still can't peel those pesky eggs! :grumpy:

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:
Yes, but it still can't peel those pesky eggs! :grumpy:

No...guess it isn't a cure all, but it sure is good for MANY uses!

thecougchef said:
now i have to go home and try this! we left a load of whites in the wash this weekend. everything stinks! so i rewashed it and it still stinks! every load after that my bf was intently watching to switch it out once it finished. haha. thanks for the tip :eek:

Did you try it? Did it work for you? Or are they still sitting in the machine...too busy after your HUGE fundraiser?!!

Hmmm. I tried this and it is not working for me. I am using the white distilled vinegar and my clothing still has a musty smell. I never had this problem before I got this washer and dryer. I have a front loader and therefore it does not soak the clothing. COuld that be the reason it doesn't work for me?

Becky0216 said:
Hmmm. I tried this and it is not working for me. I am using the white distilled vinegar and my clothing still has a musty smell. I never had this problem before I got this washer and dryer. I have a front loader and therefore it does not soak the clothing. COuld that be the reason it doesn't work for me?

Hmmm...not sure! Mine is the "old fashioned" top loader washing machine. Is there a way you can SET it to fill up, then soak for a while before washing? Are you putting in at least a cup of vinegar?

Google "stinky washing machine". They did an expo on this not too long ago. They said front loaders were the worst. Something about where mold can grow. There is a product you can buy to treat the washing machine...but it also told you where to look for the mold to remove it regularly. Hope that helps. Bleach.. vinegar did not help this problem according to the announcer.

gingertannery said:
Google "stinky washing machine". They did an expo on this not too long ago. They said front loaders were the worst. Something about where mold can grow. There is a product you can buy to treat the washing machine...but it also told you where to look for the mold to remove it regularly. Hope that helps. Bleach.. vinegar did not help this problem according to the announcer.

Wow. Thanks for that info. I keep wishing for a front loader....not so much now!:yuck:

thanks for the vinegar tip kelly --- i washed all of our micro fiber towels last night (yes - we have about a million) with vinegar and i took them out of the drier this morning and was sooooo relieved not to smell that musty smell that just lingers on your skin once you touch it. :love:

I have a front loader washing machine & I love it. I don't have any trouble with the stinkiness unless I leave the clothes in over night b/c I forget. We have saved so much water & energy by using the front loader. We also use tons less soap.

Definitely keep one on your list, Becky! :)

I don't think the expo was to diss the front loaders... just some had a problem with this same problem. I would like one myself. They do save money and clean well. Just info on a problem others have also had. They stated a liquid additive you could buy and add to alleviate the problem. And make sure certain areas are kept clean.

KellyTheChef said:

What a great idea! I'll have to remember this one and buy a big jug of vinegar for the laundry room!

1. How can I eliminate musty smell from cloth?

The best solution for removing musty smell from cloth is to soak the cloth in a mixture of equal parts white vinegar and water for 30 minutes, then wash it with detergent as usual. This should help to break down the musty odor and remove it from the cloth.

2. I have already washed the cloth multiple times, but the musty smell remains. What else can I do?

If washing the cloth with vinegar does not completely eliminate the musty smell, you can also try adding a cup of baking soda to the wash cycle. Baking soda is known for its deodorizing properties and can help to absorb any remaining odors in the cloth.

3. Can I use any type of vinegar for this solution?

Yes, any type of white vinegar will work for removing musty smell from cloth. However, distilled white vinegar is recommended as it is more effective at breaking down odors.

4. How long should I soak the cloth in the vinegar and water mixture?

30 minutes is typically enough time for the vinegar and water mixture to penetrate the fibers and remove the musty smell. If the smell persists, you can try soaking the cloth for a longer period of time or repeating the soaking process.

5. Will this solution work for all types of fabric?

Yes, this solution can be used on all types of fabric. However, it is always recommended to test a small, inconspicuous area of the cloth first before soaking the entire thing to ensure that the fabric does not react negatively to the vinegar and water mixture.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Shannen
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Nanisu
  • jenniferlynne
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
deanna_g
  • christy_c