• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Effective Ways to Get Rid of House Flies - Tips and Tricks from Trusted Sources

them!When I was in high school we had a problem like that. My mom turned the ac real cold & they were "dropping like flies".Seriously, it did work.Ever since getting a cat and dog I haven't seen many bugs. They do a serious job of cleaning them up lol, it's awesome.I can just imagine how Beaker would torment either a cat or dog.She says, "Woof woof. I'm a dog."Q: What's the difference between Beaker and a fly?A: Beaker can fly, but a fly can't.
chefann
Gold Member
What do you do when you have a large number of house flies?

(I know I could google things to do, but I thought I'd check with you, the people I know and trust.)

We had a few flies in the house last week before I went to conference, and they seem to have taken over the house. I killed 20-30 yesterday, and it may have actually been more (I wasn't consciously keeping count). And I've already gotten 4 today. DH and I can't tell where they're coming from. We've vacuumed up the crumbs in the kitchen and they're not hanging out in there anyway, except on the window.

I really don't want to end up with flypaper hanging around (gross! :yuck:), but if that's what works best, that's what I'll do.

What works for you?

I'll send you Micah for a day....he has this bizarre talent of being able to catch them in midair!:eek::D

Wow that's a lot of flies. I cannot help you--- I just know black pepper deters ants! LOL That is my secret!!

Maybe Peanut Butter on the counter?? Just guessing here......

ChefBeckyD said:
I'll send you Micah for a day....he has this bizarre talent of being able to catch them in midair!:eek::D
DH will reach out and grab them in his fist when they're on the window. Weird. And he got 6 with one swat last night. (Just like the Little Tailor!)

All I can say is, "Thank heaven for the Super Swat!"
vwpamperedchef said:
Wow that's a lot of flies. I cannot help you--- I just know black pepper deters ants! LOL That is my secret!!

Maybe Peanut Butter on the counter?? Just guessing here......
hmm... maybe I'll try that. But I'd hate to feed them and have them fly off to procreate. I'd rather starve them so they just die. (I know that sounds cruel, but...)

Our cats are good at hunting flies...oh, wait, maybe that's not a good idea at your house.The crumbs aren't your problem. Flies grow from maggots, maggots eat dead flesh. Check the basement for Jimmy Hoffa.

Ever since getting a cat and dog I haven't seen many bugs. They do a serious job of cleaning them up lol, it's awesome.

chefann said:
DH will reach out and grab them in his fist when they're on the window. Weird. And he got 6 with one swat last night. (Just like the Little Tailor!)

All I can say is, "Thank heaven for the Super Swat!"

hmm... maybe I'll try that. But I'd hate to feed them and have them fly off to procreate. I'd rather starve them so they just die. (I know that sounds cruel, but...)

Ann, it's okay to be mean to flies....they carry diseases, and every time they land, they are regurgitating.

Admin Greg said:
Ever since getting a cat and dog I haven't seen many bugs. They do a serious job of cleaning them up lol, it's awesome.

Unfortunately, the birds wouldn't be happy with the addition of a 4-legged critter. :)

Maybe I need to import some spiders...

When I was in high school we had a problem like that. My mom turned the ac real cold & they were "dropping like flies".

Thank you! Thank you! I'm here all week!

Seriously, it did work.

Admin Greg said:

I can just imagine how Beaker would torment either a cat or dog.

She says, "Woof woof. I'm a dog."

chefann-albums-assorted-stuff-picture514-beaker-eating-pb-sandwich.jpg

Last edited:
Q: What's the difference between Beaker and a fly?A: Beaker can fly, but a fly can't Beaker.

chefann said:
What do you do when you have a large number of house flies?

(I know I could google things to do, but I thought I'd check with you, the people I know and trust.)

We had a few flies in the house last week before I went to conference, and they seem to have taken over the house. I killed 20-30 yesterday, and it may have actually been more (I wasn't consciously keeping count). And I've already gotten 4 today. DH and I can't tell where they're coming from. We've vacuumed up the crumbs in the kitchen and they're not hanging out in there anyway, except on the window.

I really don't want to end up with flypaper hanging around (gross! :yuck:), but if that's what works best, that's what I'll do.

What works for you?

We had the same problem a few years ago, could not figure out where they were coming from! DH got a bunch of fly paper & they worked in a day or two....:D

chefann said:
Unfortunately, the birds wouldn't be happy with the addition of a 4-legged critter. :)

Come to my house! I've got them in all the corners, stair steps, and under table and chair legs - I'd love to know how to get rid of them!

btw: did anyone ever figure out why when you quote and reply to a post you are directed back to the top of the page instead of to the next post? irks me a little...

No. I'm still trying to figure out how to post a thumbnail pic instead of an inline one.

The Kat Lady walked into the kitchen the other day and I was stalking around with a fly swatter."What are you doing?" she asked."Hunting flies," I responded."Oh, killing any?" She asked."Yep, three males, two females," I said.Intrigued, she asked, "How can you tell?"I said, "Three were on a beer can, two were on the phone."

chefann said:
No. I'm still trying to figure out how to post a thumbnail pic instead of an inline one.

Advanced editor.

Manage attachments.

Add file of your choice.

Attachments

• funny-pictures-bird-steals-ice-cream-cone.jpg
    funny-pictures-bird-steals-ice-cream-cone.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 279
We have a fly problem, too. The best thing I can figure out is that they get trapped between the screen and front/back doors somehow, and then when we open the main door to get into the house they come in with us. I am not sure how to get rid of them, either, besides swatting and fly tape. Although I may try turning the air up for awhile to see if that works. Thanks for that tip, Stacy!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The Kat Lady walked into the kitchen the other day and I was stalking around with a fly swatter.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Hunting flies," I responded.

"Oh, killing any?" She asked.

"Yep, three males, two females," I said.

Intrigued, she asked, "How can you tell?"

I said, "Three were on a beer can, two were on the phone."

Thanks for the laugh KG I am not feeling well today so I am grumpy. Like they say laughter is the best medicine.

We had excessive flies too. We put up the clear fly strips on the windows and the flies all committed kamikaze. End of problem. But, do check for the source. We finally found a dead critter under the house. Once that was gone, the flies went away too. Do you have a water leak of any sort? Critters typically come near the house when it's hot to get water. At least that was our problem.

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

http://jokes4all.net/funpics/yeti_squirrels.jpg

I agree with Trish - it can be anything from a dead rodent to just wet towels (that happened to us! - # 5 spilled something and cleaned it up with a towel - left the wet smelly towel in a corner NEAR the washer - 5 days later we had flies everywhere!) IF you can't find the source, try spraying some fly killer in one room, then the next a few hours later - Good luck!

ChefBeckyD said:
Ann, it's okay to be mean to flies....they carry diseases, and every time they land, they are regurgitating.

Oh, I did NOT need that this a.m! :yuck:

We have had a problem as well...they would ride in on Ollie (our chocolate lab). We bought flying insect spray and hosed down all the screens in the screend porch and our front screen door. We still get them when "not me" (my favorite kid) leaves a door open but they are not as bad.

When we had them last year, it was fly paper hanging in front of the windows - they seemed to go the light and leaving our lamps on as much as we could at night - they'd commit suicide in the lamp shades...

Good luck! Glad I don't have them this year!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Advanced editor.

Manage attachments.

Add file of your choice.
Harumph. I thought I tried that.
janetupnorth said:
When we had them last year, it was fly paper hanging in front of the windows - they seemed to go the light and leaving our lamps on as much as we could at night - they'd commit suicide in the lamp shades...

Good luck! Glad I don't have them this year!
That's what I'm noticing. They congregate on the windows because it's brighter outside than in the house.

They do seem to be less populous today. I've killed 2 more since my original post, but nowhere near as many as at the same time yesterday. If we've still got them tonight when I get home from my show, I'll put the kitchen trash out (although I don't think there's anything icky in there - mostly paper).

Ok, I know this is going to sound strange to some of you. Take a sandwich size ziplock baggy and fill it 3/4 full of regular ol water and tack it to a window, door, wall anywhere there are flies...it is a miracle...they just go away

I too was just about to suggest fly strips... got that at Home Depot :)
They work great!

ChefBeckyD said:

:yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

Thanks for THAT mental picture! I will never look at a fly the same way...

chefann said:

You can get spider web making kits. I work at a Science Center and we have them. You could always try that!! LOL

KellyTheChef said:
:yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

Thanks for THAT mental picture! I will never look at a fly the same way...

I never actually look at my fly but I do sometimes check to make sure it isn't open.

I too have house flies. We insulated my attic around Easter and there were a TON of flies then in the attic when there was snow on the ground outside. Now, I have tons of the big black flies in the house, gross.
What is worse is over the weekend I noticed fruitflies in the downstairs bathroom(my daughters) and I took the garbage out...she threw away a 1/2 eaten apple into the BATHROOM garbage...the kitchen garbage is closer to where she eats then the bathroom!!! Oh I was furious...I only have one kid, but like Erin said I got a "not me"...i said oh yeah, the dog must have put it in there...errr...so now I am trying to get rid of fruit flies too!!! (they are clearing up now that the source is gone)

Ugh. Fruit flies are worse because they're so small you can't swat them. Have you tried putting out a dish of sugar water for them? They'll be attracted, fall in and drown.I think we've turned the corner on the flies here. I've seen a few buzzing around, but nowhere near as many as yesterday. And I've been stalking them with the Super Swat.

chefann said:
Ugh. Fruit flies are worse because they're so small you can't swat them. Have you tried putting out a dish of sugar water for them? They'll be attracted, fall in and drown.

I think we've turned the corner on the flies here. I've seen a few buzzing around, but nowhere near as many as yesterday. And I've been stalking them with the Super Swat.

a bowl of sugar water?! I have never heard that. I just called the babysitter and told her to put some bowls out around the kitchen and in that bathroom w/ sugar water...LOL

Thanks so much for the tip!!!

Oh and that "Not Me" kid ALWAYS gets the blame...it is never my DH, my 2 DS, 2 DD OR even the dog. Always "Not Me"....poor baby...

1. How do I get rid of a large number of house flies?

First, make sure to eliminate any potential breeding grounds for flies by keeping your kitchen and garbage cans clean and tightly sealed. Then, try using natural repellents like essential oils (peppermint, eucalyptus, and lavender are great options) or vinegar traps to deter flies from entering your home. You can also use fly swatters or a vacuum to physically remove them.

2. How can I find the source of the flies in my home?

Flies are attracted to food sources, so start by thoroughly cleaning your kitchen and checking for any open containers or spills that may be attracting them. Also, check for any potential entry points such as cracks in windows or doors. If you have pets, make sure to clean up any pet waste promptly as this can also attract flies.

3. What are some natural methods for getting rid of house flies?

Aside from using essential oils and vinegar traps, you can also try using herbs like basil, mint, and bay leaves as natural repellents. Planting these herbs near entry points or keeping them around your kitchen can help deter flies. You can also try using a mixture of sugar and honey as a fly trap, or hanging up bags of water filled with coins to confuse and repel flies.

4. Are flypaper strips effective in getting rid of house flies?

Flypaper strips can be effective in catching flies, but they can also be unsightly and unpleasant to deal with. If you do choose to use flypaper, make sure to place it in areas where flies are most active and replace it regularly.

5. How can I prevent flies from entering my home in the first place?

Aside from keeping your home clean and free of potential food sources, you can also try using screens on windows and doors to keep flies out. Keeping your garbage cans tightly sealed and regularly taking out the trash can also help prevent flies from being attracted to your home.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
akrebecca
  • smspamperedchef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefsteph07
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U