• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Don't Forget About the Time Change

In summary, Daylight Savings Time has been a controversial topic with arguments for its repeal due to its lack of practical purpose and negative effects on society. It was initially implemented during WWI and WWII to save energy, but has remained in place despite the war being long over. Congress attempted to implement DST year-round in the past, but it proved to have negative consequences. Ultimately, many believe that it is time to get rid of DST and stick to Standard Time.
naekelsey
Gold Member
Remember that we lose an hour on Sunday. Don't forget to set your clocks ahead Saturday before you go to bed

In recent years, there have been some fairly compelling arguments for the repeal of Daylight Savings Time. Most people don't even know why we change our clocks, they just go along with it. The old saw is that DST "…helps farmers." Pffft. Farmers don't care what the clock says, they're more concerned with daylight. It wouldn't matter if the clock was set to 3:00 AM when the sun comes up, roosters don't give a crow about what time it is (ask anyone who lives near chickens) it's all about sunlight, regardless of clocks.Daylight savings time was implemented during WWI in order to, well, save energy with fewer people using lights in the evening. After the war, the US went back to standard time, all the time, still observed in Arizona, Hawaii, Alaska, and in some parts of Michigan and Indiana. (As it is, Michigan is in the Eastern Time Zone, which I don't understand. Michigan is in the far western side of the zone, so it's still daylight in Michigan while it's dark in the rest of the time zone.)Daylight savings time was implemented again during WWII for the same reasons. WWII is long over so why is this anachronism still in place? (Along with excise tax on tires, now that I think about it. Government ideas just never go away once implemented, bad or good.) Congress didn't standardize DST for the second weekend in April to spring ahead and the last weekend in October to fall back until 1986 but couldn't leave well enough alone. Now we spring forward in March, which cost a small fortune for industry to adjust automated systems. Some advocates tell us that we're safer using DST and there are fewer accidents. Well, okay then, if that's so great, why don't we just implement DST year 'round? Congress tried that in 1973 and it was, well, awful. There are only so many hours of daylight in a day, and if you make it lighter in the evening, you're making it darker in the morning. There were more school bus accidents in the morning hours in 1973 than at any other time.I listened to the arguments for and against daylight savings time with some amusement for the last couple of years, but I'm starting to think that maybe it's time (so to speak) that this anachronism be dumped and just set our clocks to Standard Time and be done with it once and for all.At least we'd all get a full night's rest in April…er…March every year.

You are so right there. We milked cows for years and they could care a less what time the sun comes up. All they know is that when it starts peeking over the eastern sky, it is time to head to the barn. Heck, even my cat does not know if the sun comes up at 7, 6 or 5 a.m.! All he knows is that it is light, he wants to be fed. I do remember 1973! We had to be at school at 7:55 a.m. I remember walking there in the dark! It was actually scary as we lived right next to what is known as Frost Park Woods in Williams Bay. It was well over 200 acres of deep, dark scary woods. Walking the two blocks through it, well, ran through it to be more precises, was a pain! There were always weird sounds coming from in there! And of course, there were always the stories of many who got lost or murdered and never came out of those woods. Funny how in daylight it never matters, we always played in there, but when it is dark, NO WAY!

Related to Don't Forget About the Time Change

What is the time change and when does it occur?

The time change refers to the bi-annual adjustment of clocks to account for Daylight Saving Time. It typically occurs in the spring and fall, with the spring time change happening on the second Sunday in March and the fall time change happening on the first Sunday in November.

Do all states observe the time change?

No, not all states in the United States observe the time change. Currently, Arizona (with the exception of the Navajo Nation) and Hawaii do not participate in Daylight Saving Time.

How does the time change affect my schedule?

The time change can affect your schedule in a few ways. In the spring, when clocks are moved forward an hour, you may lose an hour of sleep and need to adjust your daily routine accordingly. In the fall, when clocks are moved back an hour, you may gain an hour of sleep but may need to adjust your schedule to accommodate the earlier sunset.

Can I change the time on my electronic devices manually?

Yes, most electronic devices such as phones, computers, and smart watches have the option to manually change the time. However, it is recommended to allow the devices to update automatically to avoid any discrepancies.

How can I make sure I don't forget about the time change?

One way to ensure you don't forget about the time change is to set a reminder on your phone or calendar a few days beforehand. You can also check the official date and time of the time change online or on social media. Additionally, most devices will automatically update the time, so if you notice a change, it may be due to the time change.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • naekelsey
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
Replies