• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Bedrest during pregnancy: How did you cope?

In summary, the author was on bedrest for most of her second pregnancy and it was the worst time of her life. She read and used the phone to pass the time, but didn't have a toddler to help her. She had friends and family help her out.
starrmarie
Last monday I went to my pregnancy check-up and the doctor put me on bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy. I had extremely high blood pressure and protein in my urine. At my next appt. my blood pressure was a bit lower and no protein, so that was better but he still wants me on bedrest. I am so bored!!! And bedrest is pretty much impossible with a 2 year old! lol I still have 3 weeks left before my due date, but I'm hoping to go into labor at least a week early. Anyone else put on bedrest during pregnancy, and how did you pass the time? and take care of your other children?

So sorry!! I have one that just turned two at the end of Oct. I can't imagine being on bed rest home alone all day with her! You might have to resort to lots & lots of Disney Videos over the next 3 weeks. I like to do digital scrapbooking, so that's probably what I'd be doing to help fill some of the hours on bed rest!

Here are some other ideas to help pass the time AND build your business:
  • Re-do all the Pampered Chef training videos
  • Watch all the Pampered Chef YouTube videos
  • Build up your recipe files
  • Spend more time calling your customers and re-connecting. Ask them:
    • how they like their products
    • if they need recipe ideas
    • if they would like to hold a Catalog Show while you are out of service
    • if they would like to hold a Cooking Show after you are back
  • Establish a Mystery Host Show to help meet your SAT goals while you are on bed rest & the beginning of Maternity Leave.

Ughhh! I feel your pain!

I had to be on bedrest for most of the last 3 months of my pregnancy. I was actually happy when I went into labor at 35 weeks, and my Dr. said I could have the baby.

I read (did a lot of reading) and used the phone, organized recipes, watched old movies...but I didn't have a toddler. That's a whole new ballgame then!

I didn't have a toddler at the time, but I would say that I had some visits from friends that helped me through. I didn't even know about FB at the time, so that would have been a big help for me.

You mentioned your blood pressure. I would suggest checking out Preeclampsia Foundation | Home to keep you informed. I don't want alarm you, but if you develop a pain, under your ribs on the right side, go to the hospital. It could be HELLP Syndrome which can come from Preeclampsia. I really don't want to alarm you, but I wish someone had told me. I could have avoided a lot of problems.

I was on bedrest for the last two months of my 2nd pregnancy - my son was a little over 2 at the time, so it was definitely a challenge! I feel your pain! Do you have anyone who can help you with your 2 year old? I like the list Sheila gave - don't let this put a damper on your business! Use it to build!

I was on bedrest for 6 weeks- it was the worst time of my life I felt LOL. But totally WORTH it after I had my son. He's now 6 months old. Try to have your friends/family to help out with your toddler. I had a friend who let her toddler stay at her parents' house for like a week and that helped her rest when she was on bedrest. LOTS of movies! I do understand your pain. Yes, be careful with preclampsia! I actually developed preclampsia when I was in labor. It was HORRIBLE but I was able to deliver vaginally. I was very close to having a c-section. Your dr knows what he/she is doing. Bedrest helps to keep your blood pressure in check until labor. Do look at the website that was recommended earlier and you'll do great!

I was on bedrest for 12 weeks with the twins.. strict, no getting up to do anything but pee or take a shower. My cervix was 90% effaced. It was a scary time.
I had a 10 year old and a 12 month old at the time, and grandparents, neighbors, coworkers and friends had to help me do everything. My coworkers set up a cooking rotation so we didn't have to worry about a hot meal in the evening. My husband travels, although he modified his schedule as much as possible to be home. My mother in law took Macy to the sitter for me each morning and brought her home in the afternoons, and my neighbor took John to and from school for me. It was rough but so so worth it.
I spent a lot of time chatting online, reading and sleeping. You have some great suggestions already. Good luck and when you look back it will have been worth it!

I am feeling your pain. I have a little over 3 weeks left and the doctor threatens bed rest every time I go. 2xs a week, because my blood pressure is up and a bit of protein, but the swelling is so extreme! I can not even believe it. I would definitely work on getting a few catalog shows, that is what I am doing. I do not want to commit to a cooking show and then end up stuck on Thursday. I have 2 catalog shows with people wanting to get stuff for Christmas presents.

AJPratt said:
I didn't have a toddler at the time, but I would say that I had some visits from friends that helped me through. I didn't even know about FB at the time, so that would have been a big help for me.

You mentioned your blood pressure. I would suggest checking out Preeclampsia Foundation | Home to keep you informed. I don't want alarm you, but if you develop a pain, under your ribs on the right side, go to the hospital. It could be HELLP Syndrome which can come from Preeclampsia. I really don't want to alarm you, but I wish someone had told me. I could have avoided a lot of problems.

I had an appt. today and he asked me about this. I did have a couple times yesterday where I had a sharp stabbing pain under my ribs on the right side, I told the doctor about it and he didn't say anything. Was your pain constant or was it a stabbing pain and then gone? I know the doctor is concerned, he is having me come in every 3-4 days. Today my blood pressure was high and I had 1+ protein. I love my doc. but I wish he would talk to me more. I just don't know all the questions I should ask. I know he probably just doesnt want to concern me, but not knowing what can happen, or what the plan is (besides bedrest) is killing me. Maybe bedrest is the only plan until I have more symptoms??? He has never even told me that I have preeclampsia, I just know about it from looking up my symptoms. Does this mean I don't have it because I don't have ALL of the symptoms? I have high blood pressure, protein in my urine, headaches, see spots sometimes, high pulse sometimes, and tight chest/feel like I can't catch my breath sometimes. I know I need to ask more questions! Why can't I get it together when I am in the office???:yuck:

1. What is bed rest and why would a doctor prescribe it?

Bed rest is when a person is instructed to stay in bed for an extended period of time. It is usually prescribed by a doctor to help with certain medical conditions such as high blood pressure, preterm labor, or complications during pregnancy.

2. How long does bed rest typically last?

The length of time for bed rest can vary depending on the reason for the prescription. It can range from a few days to several weeks or even months. It is important to follow your doctor's instructions and ask for clarification if needed.

3. Can I still do some activities while on bed rest?

It is important to discuss with your doctor about what activities are allowed while on bed rest. In general, most doctors will recommend limiting physical activity and staying in a reclined or lying down position as much as possible to allow your body to rest and heal.

4. How can I make bed rest more comfortable?

There are a few things you can do to make bed rest more comfortable. Some suggestions include using supportive pillows, wearing loose and comfortable clothing, and having entertainment or activities within reach. It is also important to move around and change positions frequently to prevent muscle stiffness.

5. What are some potential risks or complications of bed rest?

While bed rest can be beneficial in certain situations, there are also potential risks and complications to consider. These can include muscle weakness, blood clots, and bone density loss. It is important to discuss any concerns with your doctor and ask for recommendations on how to minimize these risks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• calebsmom0822
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
calebsmom0822
Replies
Views
Ginger428
Replies
Views
twinchefs