• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Purell Safe to Use with Food?

In summary, the host of the cooking show wears gloves to avoid getting food on her hands and to protect herself from germs. She encourages guests to help wash their hands before coming to the show and asks them to do so if they want. No one has ever complained about the gloves.
brendaziz
curious.
Thanks!

No, I don't. I can't seem to get comfortable with them. Then again, I don't usually make food at my shows.

I don't wear gloves either, and my shows are all interactive too

Nope, no gloves. I wash my hands a lot though. I make it a point to wash good before I start and use a paper towel. I then try to not touch my face or hair. If we are doing an interactive show, I have everyone else come and wash their hands too. No one has ever rolled their eyes or made a remark. They just do it. For me, gloves just get in the way. I have short fingers and so the tips of the gloves are baggy. I am too nervous of not getting the "feel" of food and messing up. Especially when working w/ knives!

I wear gloves whenever I'm dealing with raw meat. I'm not always near a sink at my shows. I also keep them on hand for anyone who wants to help out with the recipe. (I don't force people to be interactive, but I encourage it, and often will have people who spontaneously want to try a product....with gloves they can do this more quickly than if they have to leave to wash their hands.)

I only do the interactive shows, so I have all the guests wash their hands & they do the prep. I wash mine too, but I rarely do anything but watch & give tips on how to use the products.

never. might slip and cut myself:)

I wear them when handling raw meat and jalepeno peppers.

i ask the hostess if this is important to them and do accordingly, usually use when doing 30 minute chicken. but i like to use the suds pump always

I have been because I use my hands a lot! and I know some people might be grossed out by that ... plus, I'm not constantly washing my hands ...

I have used gloves and still do when handling raw meat at a show. I wash my hands before I start the show. I like to keep a wet towel beside my cutting board to clean up, if needed.

I do the interactive show and I have the host ask everyone to wash their hands as they arrive. That way I am not the one asking. When I start the show I let everyone know that this is a hands on cooking show and that I will be asking each of them to help me with preparing the food they will eat. I have not had anyone yet that did not participate at the show.
I also mention this when I host coach, that way the host is prepared. Plus, if the host booked from a previous show she has an idea of how this works.

I wash my hands and then have a big bottle of hand sanitizer sitting next to me. This is for me and anyone that helps with the demo.

Just a heads-up--most hand sanitizers are not food-safe.

raebates said:
Just a heads-up--most hand sanitizers are not food-safe.

Exactly....

And I'm sorta a germaphobe in the kitchen.:eek: As a former Personal Chef, I had to be certified in food safety, and I KNOW that most people do not wash their hands well enough to be "food-safe" either. Especially women with long or fake nails. Under the nail is a breeding ground for germs, and those germs can very easily get transferred when preparing food.

I would never trust having everyone just washing their hands and then everyone handling the food. You don't know who is rubbing their nose, or inadvertantly sticking a finger in their mouth, etc.... The thought of it makes me queasy.:yuck:

(and yes, I do sometimes have a hard time going out to eat....I've left more than one restaurant because it looked/smelled unclean, or I've seen an unclean food-handling practice going on.)

I wear gloves for a couple of reasons-
my hands get so dry and some times crack, the less I have to touch moist food the better. And sometimes I need a bandaid on my finger due to this so I wear the gloves and I feel its a better appearance.

Heck I even use them in my kitchen sometimes.

When I do an interactive demo I do offer anyone else gloves or they wash their hands.

question, if the sanitizer completely dries, is it alright?

Also, any part of the demo that involves actually touching the food, I usually do myself, unless it's the knives.

I wear gloves and I have had great feed back because of it. I do have interaction from the guest but I usually set it up so they are not touching the food or I offer them gloves.

Don't forget if you are using gloves to get good ones especially for yourself.

I do! I hate any kind of sticky-ness, goo-iness or anything on my hands! Plus, I have also had many people comment that they appreciate that I wear them. And they are uber-cheap at Sam's club!

Do they carry the non-latex ones? I am allergic to the ones the company has for us to buy. Maybe if I could get some that did not give me a rash then I could start using them again during the entire cooking demo and not just when I handle the raw meats.

I got mine from a restaruant supply store there are a ton in the box, non latex and they were not that much

Symara said:
question, if the sanitizer completely dries, is it alright?

Also, any part of the demo that involves actually touching the food, I usually do myself, unless it's the knives.

The hand sanitizer would not be food safe after it dries. You'd simply have dried alcohol on your hands.

I bought mine at big lots. Great price!

Thanks cookinforyou! I will check that out.

Yes, I always wear gloves when I cook and serve food at shows. I work in a school kitchen every day and we must wear gloves at all times, so it is something I'm used to. I feel uncomfortable without them! I'm also Health Department certified in food safety, so I know why it's so important to have a barrier between your skin and the food. The stories I've heard can make your skin crawl! :eek:

Nancy, don't tell me. ;)

I've been wearing my gloves I got from PC - I hate them :( sorry!!
They ALWAYS tear. But I only keep them on while dealing with the really messy food - like cutting up chicken off of the bones or any raw meat - ESPECIALLY with hot peppers... Really need to be carefull with hot peppers - makes your face feel like it is on fire.... LOL
I think I'll go to Sam's club someone mentioned to keep those handy.

When I handle the hot peppers, I use sandwich baggies over my hands. The guests love that tip, because some would never try a recipe where they'd need to have to have gloves on hand for.

I do not wear gloves. I did once and the first question asked was "Do you have a food allergy?" People don't normally cook wearing gloves. Its a red flag that something is "not right."

No gloves for me. When it comes to handling raw meat/poultry, I use the hold n slice....I have 2 with me...raw meat for one, and cooked for the other.

I heard Purell is food safe - Anyone know if this is true?

1. Do I need to wear gloves during my Pampered Chef shows?

No, it is not required for you to wear gloves during your Pampered Chef shows. However, it is recommended that you wash your hands regularly and use utensils or tongs when handling food to maintain proper hygiene.

2. Can I wear gloves if I choose to?

Yes, you are welcome to wear gloves if you prefer. Just make sure they are clean and food-safe.

3. What type of gloves should I wear at my shows?

If you choose to wear gloves, it is important to use food-safe gloves that are made from materials such as latex, nitrile, or vinyl. These can typically be found at any grocery or restaurant supply store.

4. Are gloves necessary when handling Pampered Chef products?

No, gloves are not necessary when handling Pampered Chef products. Our products are designed to be safe and easy to handle without the use of gloves.

5. Do I need to provide gloves for my guests at my shows?

No, it is not necessary for you to provide gloves for your guests at your shows. However, if you choose to offer them, make sure they are food-safe and disposable to maintain proper hygiene.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Phi_Phi_18
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • floccies
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • Chef.Wanda