• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do You Mention That You Are in Dire Straits?

In summary, Susan was laid off from her job and is facing a tough time. She has a show tonight and is considering mentioning her situation. The others suggest that she mention it and offer helpful advice on how to navigate the new economy.
susanr613
Gold Member
I have some distressing news - I was laid off today. I am a single mom and do not have more than a month or two of expenses saved up.

I have a show tonight in a fairly well-off part of my town. Do I mention that I was laid off today and if anyone is even remotely interested in having a show, I'd appreciate them going for it?

Thanks so much...any and all prayers are appreciated too.

That is horrible news! I hope you can find something else really quickly!
I would go ahead and mention it at tonight's show, but only once.

I'm so sorry, Susan. I don't see anything at all wrong with mentioning that you just lost your day job. If it were me, I'd say something like, "I'm available 24/7, since I just got laid off from my day job, so we can schedule your party any time you like." It gets the message out there, but doesn't seem like you're begging for bookings.

I agree with Rae. That wording also lets people know that you can now do mid-day shows (great for moms with kids in school - they get to visit with friends without giving up evening family time), as well as traditional evening shows.So sorry that happened to you, too.

Hugs Susan!

Absolutely I'd mention it. And mention how awesom it is that you already have PC to back you up and that you are now VERY AVAILABLE and ready to work! Good luck.

I agree with Linda. Point out that by doing PC you are able to still provide for your family while being laid off.

Thank you for turning my lemon appeal into lemonade, ladies!

I would also mention that you have more time on your hands to devote to training a team under you, and that you are very excited to have the opportunity to show others how they can do what you do! Might get a few people interested in the biz opp.

Ask if they know of anyone who has a business that needs to be pampered, and work those lunch express shows!

Ask about anyone who has connections with the MOPS and other moms groups for daytime shows.

Tell them you are in "full expansion" mode and even if they aren't interested in hosting or joining, you'd love the referral to someone who might.

Just wanted to say that I am so sorry about the lay-off, I really hope that you find something very quickly!!
I also agree with the suggestions listed above.

Susan I am so sorry to hear about your job. I agree with what everyone has said about mentioning it. I really like Rae's wording.

I will be praying for you and your son.

Prays being said...have confidence that not only will PC pull you through but might suprise you by exceeding your expectations! Just concentrate and work it like crazy! I'll be keeping you in mind...keep us posted and God Bless you.

Susan, So sorry that you were laid off. I totally agree that you should mention it at your show, people love to be helpful! I hope you get everyone to at the show to book.

Susan, I'm sorry to hear the bad news. Definitely agree with what everyone has said. Maybe you'll even find someone that can lead you to a new job!

The only thing I would add is to mention that with PC you never have worry about being laid off!

Sorry to hear the news, Susan. Some way to start the new year, eh? Just remember, God closed this door so you can walk through the one He's ready to open.

I am sorry to hear about the news you received :(

I would mention it at your show, and like others said, mention how you are so grateful and fortunate to have your PC biz to keep you afloat! That will totally attract new recruits and let others know you are more available for more cooking shows :)

Not unless I change my name to Mark Knopfler.

Susan, I know you're already at your VERY SUCCESSFUL show but just wanted to extend my well wishes to you!I had a show shortly after my employer cut my hours by 8, a cut that lasted the better part of a year. I was never a big opportunity talker but had a new resolve to mention it at every show because EVERYBODY needs a backup plan in this economy!

I'm so sorry to hear this, Susan. Best of luck to you - you have a great attitude and I know you'll come out of this okay!! ((HUGS))!

Well I followed some good advice posted here....7 guests, $400, 2 firm bookings, 2 2010 maybes and 2 people taking info (1 for mother in law, 1 for after 1/1)

Plus, lots of feedback on how much fun everyone had and how funny I am. That really made my evening.

Tomorrow it's on to cutting costs.....thanks again everyone

sorry to hear Susan, good luck!!

Susan,
we'll be praying for you, i know it's scarey. i had two boys to raise alone and had to waitress for 2 years but then God provided above and beyond.
clip those coupons!
thinking of you
lauriedip

Glad to hear that you had a positive night.And remember, many millionaires earned their millions after receiving a pink slip. This may be just the motivation you need to kick your business into full gear! :D

Sorry to hear about your job Susan. {{{hugs}}}

Sorry to hear about your job Susan. Good luck with finding cost cutting ideas. I'm with Laurie...clip coupons! It makes a huge difference on my weekly grocery bill. And I don't know if you have a Giant near you, but they double all coupons less than $1. And they have the new gas rewards program...big savings!

Sorry to hear Susan. I agree with the great advice on here. When you word it right, you will get the help to build your business. I was in need of $150 before the end of the month to stay active. I sent out a message to my client list. The response was phenomenal! I'm at $90, someone is doing a catalog show for the week, someone else wanted to see the catalog to order (her friend that lives closer than the hour I do, emailed me and said she had a current catalog to share with her so they both could order). I realized many were more than just a "client", but a friend. Go for it Susan!

Sorry to hear this Susan, Good luck with everything..

Susan, glad to hear the show went well! PC can work as a full-time job replacement. This is a great time to build up your business and lay a great foundation for the new year...who wants to mess with the malls for holiday shopping?

So sorry to hear about your layoff but God will provide. Now you have more time to get recruits and to fill your calendar with shows. I KNOW everything will work out for you.

I am so sorry to hear about that! When we closed our cafe, I sent an email out to everyone (and FB messages, too) saying: "Since we closed the cafe, I am selling Pampered Chef full time as a source of income for my family. Would be be interested in hosting a show or placing an order?" I got 8 shows on my schedule from that, plus others have been trickling in, plus orders. Good luck!

1. What does it mean to be "in dire straits"?

Being in dire straits means being in a difficult or desperate situation.

2. Why would I need to mention that I am in dire straits?

Mentioning that you are in dire straits may help others understand your current circumstances and potentially offer assistance or support.

3. Is it appropriate to mention being in dire straits in a professional setting?

It depends on the context of the situation and the relationship you have with the person you are speaking to. In general, it may be more appropriate to mention it in a professional setting if it directly relates to your work or if you are seeking help or resources from your colleagues.

4. How can mentioning being in dire straits benefit me?

Mentioning being in dire straits can benefit you by potentially opening up opportunities for support, understanding, and empathy from others. It can also help you communicate your current limitations or challenges in a more transparent and honest manner.

5. Is there a certain way I should mention being in dire straits?

It is best to be direct and honest when mentioning being in dire straits. Be clear and concise about your situation and avoid exaggerating or downplaying it. It may also be helpful to have a plan or specific request in mind when mentioning it to others.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcmckay
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • urbnk8
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
missyciccolella
Replies