1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Urgent Dairyland dogtrack is closing - what will happen to the dogs?

1. susanr613

susanr613 Senior Member Gold Member

Hey all you Midwest Cheffers - Dairyland is closing at the end of the year. It's good news if you disapprove of greyhound racing, but it brings up a problem - there will be 500 dogs no longer making money for their owners. Most of them will not be relocated to other tracks. So, unless they are adopted, they will be destroyed.

I adopted my Franny from Greyhounds Only, which is committed to taking 75 dogs. They need foster families, boarding, food, vet care, and, of course, permanent homes. Racing greyhounds are laid back, gentle, affectionate, and well-behaved. They do not need a lot of exercise; mine is happy with a few walks a day. They are not prone to big dog medical problems like hip displasia and bloat, although they do have bad teeth.

Anyway, if you are interested in learning more, please PM me and I can send you a flyer. I would also appreciate if you could pass this info around - you never know who might be interested in adding a well-mannered, elegant member to their family.

Thanks -

Nov 17, 2009
  2. chefjeanine

chefjeanine Legacy Member Gold Member

Susan,

We are not in the market for a dog, but I can testify that greyhounds are WONDERFUL pets.

You will want to have a fenced in yard and I don't suggest you start any habits you don't want to continue for the dog’s life (like getting up every morning and going for a walk). We walked through all kinds of weather, every day, before the crack of dawn. :)

Living with a Greyhound is kind of like living with a cat. Their favorite place is curled up asleep. If you are a cat owner, you'll want to be sure your dog is "cat tested". Greyhounds are sight hounds (that's why you need the fence -- they can't be put out on a chain) and some have an overwhelming desire to chase (and catch) small furry things.

The other reason you’ll need a fenced in yard? Greyhounds don’t understand the idea of coming back to you -- their job is to run away.

Nov 17, 2009
  3. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

They do seem like wonderful pets ... but I am a cat owner (not a kitten owner) and my kitties are afraid of dogs ... even though most dogs just want to "play," they don't want any of that!

Nov 19, 2009
  4. chefcharity

chefcharity Advanced Member

how are they with children?

Nov 19, 2009
  5. chefjeanine

My dog LOVED kids. We didn't (and don't) have any of our own, but when friends were over he was always very gentle and sweet with them.

Nov 19, 2009
  6. chefjeanine

That's our situation right now. We have three cats and one we adopted. According to her foster mom, she has issues with dogs. If we ever get another dog, we'll have to wait until Mabel has gone to the other side.

Nov 19, 2009
  7. susanr613

susanr613 Senior Member Gold Member

Chef Charity, greyhounds are good with children in general. The more extraverted ones are great with all kids, and the shyer ones are best with older kids (taller than them). Franny was very shy and nervous when we got her, but in time she learned to enjoy being petted and talked to by kids. Now she goes up to even the tiniest kids and gives them a good snifffing-over.

A good adoption/rescue organization, like Greyhounds Only, will temperament-test the dogs and place them in foster care as soon as possible, usually with other dogs and kids in the household.

Jeanine, I have a funny story about running away. I had Franny for a few months, and she took off after being let out of the car. She ran for a block, then stopped when she realized no one was at the other end of the leash! That being said, yes, a Greyhound will bolt if given the chance, but so does my Jack Russell.

Anyway, thanks for commenting and bumping this thread. Even if you cannot help out directly, please pass along the info to others.

thanks -

Nov 19, 2009
  8. Thinker

Thinker Member Gold Member

Most of the time the greyhound adoption groups will take as many as they can in hopes to find homes but some may have to be put down.

I had a greyhound. She ignored cats and was great with our kids. She would even lay with them on the floor and let them lay with her in her bed. She would always lay right where toys would fall. She was a great pet!

Jan 8, 2010
  9. Thinker

Thinker Member Gold Member

Most of the time the greyhound adoption groups will take as many as they can in hopes to find homes but some may have to be put down.

I had a greyhound. She ignored cats and was great with our kids. She would even lay with them on the floor and let them lay with her in her bed. She would always lay right where toys would fall. She was a great pet!

Jan 8, 2010
  10. The_Kitchen_Guy

The_Kitchen_Guy Legend Member Silver Member

Has anyone thought about the 160 humans who lost their jobs? What's going to happen to them?

11. chefjeanine

Let's pray that they find something. . . not easy today, I know. Maybe you can find some new recruits.

At least the humans don't have to worry about being taken out back and shot in the head.

Jan 9, 2010
Have something to add?