1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Do you mention that you are in dire straits?

1. susanr613

susanr613 Senior Member Gold Member

I have some distressing news - I was laid off today. I am a single mom and do not have more than a month or two of expenses saved up.

I have a show tonight in a fairly well-off part of my town. Do I mention that I was laid off today and if anyone is even remotely interested in having a show, I'd appreciate them going for it?

Thanks so much...any and all prayers are appreciated too.

Sep 25, 2009
  2. ShellBeach

ShellBeach Veteran Member

That is horrible news! I hope you can find something else really quickly!
    I would go ahead and mention it at tonight's show, but only once.

Sep 25, 2009
  3. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

I'm so sorry, Susan. I don't see anything at all wrong with mentioning that you just lost your day job. If it were me, I'd say something like, "I'm available 24/7, since I just got laid off from my day job, so we can schedule your party any time you like." It gets the message out there, but doesn't seem like you're begging for bookings.

Sep 25, 2009
  4. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

I agree with Rae. That wording also lets people know that you can now do mid-day shows (great for moms with kids in school - they get to visit with friends without giving up evening family time), as well as traditional evening shows.

So sorry that happened to you, too.

Sep 25, 2009
  5. pamperedlinda

pamperedlinda Legend Member Gold Member

Hugs Susan!

Absolutely I'd mention it. And mention how awesom it is that you already have PC to back you up and that you are now VERY AVAILABLE and ready to work! Good luck.

Sep 25, 2009
  6. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

I agree with Linda. Point out that by doing PC you are able to still provide for your family while being laid off.

Sep 25, 2009
  7. susanr613

Thank you for turning my lemon appeal into lemonade, ladies!

Sep 25, 2009
  8. PampChefJoy

PampChefJoy Veteran Member Gold Member

I would also mention that you have more time on your hands to devote to training a team under you, and that you are very excited to have the opportunity to show others how they can do what you do! Might get a few people interested in the biz opp.

Ask if they know of anyone who has a business that needs to be pampered, and work those lunch express shows!

Ask about anyone who has connections with the MOPS and other moms groups for daytime shows.

Tell them you are in "full expansion" mode and even if they aren't interested in hosting or joining, you'd love the referral to someone who might.

Sep 25, 2009
  9. pampcheflisa

pampcheflisa Advanced Member Gold Member

Just wanted to say that I am so sorry about the lay-off, I really hope that you find something very quickly!!
    I also agree with the suggestions listed above.

Sep 25, 2009
  10. pamperedpals

pamperedpals Senior Member Gold Member

Susan I am so sorry to hear about your job. I agree with what everyone has said about mentioning it. I really like Rae's wording.

I will be praying for you and your son.

Sep 25, 2009
  11. dkitten13

dkitten13 Member

Prays being said...have confidence that not only will PC pull you through but might suprise you by exceeding your expectations! Just concentrate and work it like crazy! I'll be keeping you in mind...keep us posted and God Bless you.

Sep 25, 2009
  12. BlessedWifeMommy

BlessedWifeMommy Veteran Member

Susan, So sorry that you were laid off. I totally agree that you should mention it at your show, people love to be helpful! I hope you get everyone to at the show to book.

13. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

Susan, I'm sorry to hear the bad news. Definitely agree with what everyone has said. Maybe you'll even find someone that can lead you to a new job!

Sep 25, 2009
  14. pampchefsarah

pampchefsarah Senior Member Gold Member

The only thing I would add is to mention that with PC you never have worry about being laid off!

Sorry to hear the news, Susan. Some way to start the new year, eh? Just remember, God closed this door so you can walk through the one He's ready to open.

15. Liquid Sky

Liquid Sky Advanced Member

I am sorry to hear about the news you received :(

I would mention it at your show, and like others said, mention how you are so grateful and fortunate to have your PC biz to keep you afloat! That will totally attract new recruits and let others know you are more available for more cooking shows :)

Sep 25, 2009
  16. The_Kitchen_Guy

The_Kitchen_Guy Legend Member Silver Member

Not unless I change my name to Mark Knopfler.

17. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

Susan, I know you're already at your VERY SUCCESSFUL show but just wanted to extend my well wishes to you!

I had a show shortly after my employer cut my hours by 8, a cut that lasted the better part of a year. I was never a big opportunity talker but had a new resolve to mention it at every show because EVERYBODY needs a backup plan in this economy!

18. cathyskitchen

cathyskitchen Senior Member Gold Member

I'm so sorry to hear this, Susan. Best of luck to you - you have a great attitude and I know you'll come out of this okay!! ((HUGS))!

19. susanr613

Well I followed some good advice posted here....7 guests, $400, 2 firm bookings, 2 2010 maybes and 2 people taking info (1 for mother in law, 1 for after 1/1)

Plus, lots of feedback on how much fun everyone had and how funny I am. That really made my evening.

Tomorrow it's on to cutting costs.....thanks again everyone

Sep 25, 2009
  20. ChefLoriG

ChefLoriG Advanced Member Gold Member

sorry to hear Susan, good luck!!

Sep 26, 2009
  21. lauriedip

lauriedip Member

Susan,
    we'll be praying for you, i know it's scarey. i had two boys to raise alone and had to waitress for 2 years but then God provided above and beyond.
    clip those coupons!
    thinking of you
    lauriedip

Sep 26, 2009
  22. Sheila

Sheila Legend Member Gold Member

Glad to hear that you had a positive night.

And remember, many millionaires earned their millions after receiving a pink slip. This may be just the motivation you need to kick your business into full gear! :D

Sep 26, 2009
  23. rennea

rennea Legacy Member Gold Member

Sorry to hear about your job Susan. {{{hugs}}}

Sep 26, 2009
  24. JennLizFran

JennLizFran Member Gold Member

Sorry to hear about your job Susan. Good luck with finding cost cutting ideas. I'm with Laurie...clip coupons! It makes a huge difference on my weekly grocery bill. And I don't know if you have a Giant near you, but they double all coupons less than $1. And they have the new gas rewards program...big savings!

Sep 26, 2009
  25. lockhartkitchen

lockhartkitchen Senior Member

Sorry to hear Susan. I agree with the great advice on here. When you word it right, you will get the help to build your business. I was in need of $150 before the end of the month to stay active. I sent out a message to my client list. The response was phenomenal! I'm at $90, someone is doing a catalog show for the week, someone else wanted to see the catalog to order (her friend that lives closer than the hour I do, emailed me and said she had a current catalog to share with her so they both could order). I realized many were more than just a "client", but a friend. Go for it Susan!

26. heat123

heat123 Legend Member Silver Member

Sorry to hear this Susan, Good luck with everything..

Sep 26, 2009
  27. legacypc46

legacypc46 Senior Member Gold Member

Susan, glad to hear the show went well! PC can work as a full-time job replacement. This is a great time to build up your business and lay a great foundation for the new year...who wants to mess with the malls for holiday shopping?

Sep 26, 2009
  28. PamperedChefLayla

PamperedChefLayla Member Gold Member

So sorry to hear about your layoff but God will provide. Now you have more time to get recruits and to fill your calendar with shows. I KNOW everything will work out for you.

29. AJPratt

AJPratt Legend Member Silver Member

I am so sorry to hear about that! When we closed our cafe, I sent an email out to everyone (and FB messages, too) saying: "Since we closed the cafe, I am selling Pampered Chef full time as a source of income for my family. Would be be interested in hosting a show or placing an order?" I got 8 shows on my schedule from that, plus others have been trickling in, plus orders. Good luck!

Sep 26, 2009
Have something to add?