• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do You Have Tile or Laminate???Help!!!!

In summary, you should use a mild cleaner on laminate, use a swiffer to clean floors, and wait to dry floors before using them.
crissy11
Gold Member
We have been in our new house for a month now and it has laminate in the dining room and foyer, carpet in the bedrooms and tile everywhere else, which is a huge portion.
My question is: how do you deal with all of the sweeping and what do you use to mop it with? Specifically the tile. I am having to sweep everyday and it needs to be mopped every other day or you can see footprints, etc.
I have a Dyson that can be used for hard floors but it doesn't get it up like a broom.
My back aches all of the time from sweeping and mopping.. I know it is cleaner than carpet but..... alot of work..

Any short cuts or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes I use the swiffer, but the best thing I have found...besides the melaleuca floor cleaner...is plain ole vinigar and water.

be careful on your laminate!! We moved in and I had no clue you had to use special spray to clean it!! And guess what!! Brand new house with RUINED FLOORS!!

What did you use on your laminate to ruin them? I have been using a damp mop with a tsp of Spic and Span in the water.

I had old fashioned "marble" flooring in my first apartment. I don't remember what exactly it's called but it's basically a stone floor with a glossy finish. The large swiffer was the best thing to pick up the dirt and a broom for the larger stuff. I don't know if they sell the large one any more but it did the best job.

Everyday I have to sweep my tile and then I run over it with a swiffer (we have a Siamese & 2 teens left at home)To clean it I use my shark steam mop

I have laminate in my living, dinning room and hallways. I vaccum the main area everyday. If I'm too lazy to pull out the vaccum I'll just sweep. I run a damp mop over it on Sundays. As for cleaner I use just a mild organic one. The main thing you have to remember is not to "over wet" the laminate.

gothim0802 said:
be careful on your laminate!! We moved in and I had no clue you had to use special spray to clean it!! And guess what!! Brand new house with RUINED FLOORS!!

What?? Did your laminate "lift"? If this is what you mean it would happen from over wetting the floor.

Really all floors should be washed with a very mild cleaner as well.

We have laminate in our kitchen. I have one of those Dirt Devil broom vacs. I LOVE IT!! I use that throughout the day, then every few days I clear everything out of there and use my Swiffer WetJet to get the water drip spots and footprints off. Our house is about a year and a half old, and I've been doing this all along and the floor looks like the day we put it down.

-Erin

You can use a microfiber towel on a swiffer head to sweep. It'll get up all the little dust bunnies, and is more environmentally friendly than buying the disposable refills all the time.

My entire downstairs is hardwood floors and tile (except for my bedroom which is carpet). I have 2 dogs, DS & DH who constantly track in dirt on their shoes and paws. I bought an Oreck Ironman cannister vaccum - it is small, lightweight, and really gets the dirt and dog fur up - plus it has a swivel head so I don't have to move the furniture. For in-between moppings I use a string mop and for really good cleanings I use my Hoover Floormate. Good luck! I feel your pain. One of my goals when I joined PC was to make enough money to hire a cleaning lady....I now have one! She only comes once a month, but as soon as she has an opening on her schedule she'll start coming twice each month......I love this company!

mop & water is what I ruined it with!! It is all lifting now!! You are not suppose to use water period is what the flooring co told me. I did only use a damp mop but they claim I poured buckets of water on it. Now do you think with two kids I could wait that long to let it DRY! LOL But I think they didnt do a swell job of putting it in because my neighbor used them too and hers now looks like crap. We are just going to get it all replaced but waiting to see what we really want.

Last edited:
If you don't use water, how are you supposed to clean it? I don't have laminate, mine are hardwoods and the small amount of water I get on them is not a problem.

Last edited:
I have hardwood and laminate. I basically use a Libman microfiber broom to gather the dust etc. The microfiber towel thing is washable, so I have two and interchange them. It really gathers dust. If I need too, I will use a wet towel to clean up any spots.

Has anyone used the swiffer wet jet on the laminate?? I have one of those, but I need the refill pads....just wondering if that would work.

I bought a swiffer wet jet to clean up spills and for a quickie mop job - I don't like it. It leaves horrible streaks on my floors.

But I don't mop my laminate floors. I usually get on my hands and knees (not fun) and I use a damp cloth to clean up.

Right now I have a sore shoulder and that is not an option for me. I am having Mother's Day brunch, so any ideas would be welcomed! :)

I only have laminate in my kitchen, and hardwood in my dining room, but I love-love-love my Livinity cleaner for both. It also works great for carpet stains.

What's Livinity? What kind of cleaner is it?

Livinity is a fairly new DSA company based here in my town. I won't post the link since dh is a rep & don't want to be blamed for "self promoting". (PM me if you want the link) The cleaner is a citrus cleaner that's non-toxic & works amazingly!

They make a special spray that you get at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc... and you use a mop and spray that on and mop.

I have tile and use the Hoover Floormate. I LOVE IT!!!

I have hardwood and hated having to clean everyday. I put down carpets.

I have laminate in my kitchen. I use a broom at least 3-4 times a day to catch all the "stuff", and then once a day or every other I use Windex cleaner. Just spritz (from about 3 feet up, so I'm standing and just spray) and wipe. It's not as much Windex as I put on my windows, just enough to get it slightly damp. To wipe I use something similar to the Swiffer - it's called the "Quickie". It has re-usable pads. Got it at Home Depot.

It's really easy and there's no streaking.

We have wood in the bedrooms, tile in the bathrooms and Pergo everywhere else.

The tiles are easy to keep clean. The wood needs to be cleaned with vinegar and water, then some type of polyurethane (spelling) once a year. The Pergo is a nightmare!! It shows every partical of dust and water spot. We can only use vinegar or a solution like windex. If you don't dry it it can cause splitting at the seams. So if your kids have spills or the new puppy isn't let out while your at conference- you have a potential disaster if it isn't cleaned up ASAP.

My husband wanted Pergo because it was different than wood.

So in the next year or two- $6,000 of Pergo will need to be replaced with wood (which would have been $100 cheaper to install at the time)...

I really love my husband, but this is one issue I wish I had not given in just to make him happy...

chefann said:
You can use a microfiber towel on a swiffer head to sweep. It'll get up all the little dust bunnies, and is more environmentally friendly than buying the disposable refills all the time.

Good idea Ann...as always:)

gothim0802 said:
mop & water is what I ruined it with!! It is all lifting now!! You are not suppose to use water period is what the flooring co told me. I did only use a damp mop but they claim I poured buckets of water on it. Now do you think with two kids I could wait that long to let it DRY! LOL But I think they didnt do a swell job of putting it in because my neighbor used them too and hers now looks like crap. We are just going to get it all replaced but waiting to see what we really want.

Oh that sucks :( But I think your right, it was installed wrong. I have heard of this happening.

I use the swiffer wet jet on my laminate, but don't really like it because it does leave streaks. Most of the time I use the melaleuca cleaner and spray it on and dustmop.

I'm so glad this question was brought up. We have laminate wood in our entire downstairs. I looooove the look of it, but in our new house (we're just moving a few blocks away ;)) we're considering REAL hardwood floors. Been wondering how to clean them.
Right now, I use a ROOMBA to vacuum and a SCOOBA to mop. No problems other than the messy kids & dog but my "little robo-maids" clean it up for me every night. :D

dianevill said:
I have laminate in my kitchen. I use a broom at least 3-4 times a day to catch all the "stuff", and then once a day or every other I use Windex cleaner. Just spritz (from about 3 feet up, so I'm standing and just spray) and wipe. It's not as much Windex as I put on my windows, just enough to get it slightly damp. To wipe I use something similar to the Swiffer - it's called the "Quickie". It has re-usable pads. Got it at Home Depot.

It's really easy and there's no streaking.
OH! I like this idea!!! Would it work on ceramic tile too??

I would think so, but I don't have any tile to test it for you.:(

Related to Do You Have Tile or Laminate???Help!!!!

1. What is the difference between tile and laminate flooring?

The main difference between tile and laminate flooring is the material they are made of. Tile is typically made of ceramic, porcelain, or stone, while laminate is made of layers of synthetic materials that are fused together. Tile is also more durable and water-resistant, while laminate is easier to install and more budget-friendly.

2. Which is better, tile or laminate flooring?

The answer to this question depends on your specific needs and preferences. Tile is better for high-traffic areas and areas prone to moisture, while laminate is better for areas with less foot traffic and where spills are less likely to occur. Ultimately, it is a matter of personal preference and budget.

3. How do you maintain and clean tile or laminate flooring?

For tile flooring, regular sweeping or vacuuming followed by mopping with a mild cleaning solution is recommended. Be sure to use a non-abrasive cleaner and avoid using too much water. For laminate flooring, sweep or vacuum regularly and use a damp mop with a mild, non-abrasive cleaner. Avoid using excess water and harsh chemicals.

4. Are there any shortcuts for cleaning tile or laminate flooring?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts you can try. For tile flooring, you can use a steam cleaner to help loosen dirt and grime. For laminate flooring, you can use a microfiber mop or a robot vacuum to help with daily maintenance. Additionally, placing mats or rugs in high-traffic areas can help reduce the need for frequent mopping.

5. Are there any alternatives to sweeping and mopping for tile or laminate flooring?

Yes, there are alternative cleaning methods that can save you time and effort. For tile flooring, you can try using a dry mop or a dust mop to quickly pick up dust and debris. For laminate flooring, you can use a spray mop with a cleaning solution to spot clean and maintain the floor's shine. You can also consider hiring a professional cleaning service to deep clean your floors periodically.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
akrebecca
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janezapchef
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies