• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

It Rocks! Maybe I've Been in the Dark About These

In summary, the conversation was about finding a better mop for cleaning floors, specifically the kitchen floor. One person discovered a Magic Eraser mop head at Target and found it to be very effective in picking up dirt and grime. Others chimed in with their own experiences and tips for cleaning floors, including using shaving cream or TSP mixed with water. The conversation also touched on using Magic Eraser for other surfaces, such as a flat-top stove, and the challenges of cleaning floors in households with pets.
chefann
Gold Member
So yesterday I took a critical look at my kitchen floor and decided it desperately needed to be mopped. (I really hate mopping, and will run a broom around the kitchen, but haven't mopped in more time than I care to admit.) My sponge mop is the pits, so I decided to head to Target to get a replacement mop head, or even a new mop.

I know it's been a while since I've been down that aisle at Target, but did you know they have Magic Eraser mop heads? I picked one up to put on my mop and it ROCKS!! The down side is that it's not for use on wood floors, so I'll need to get another head for the rest of the house, but this one worked great on the kitchen floor.

My kitchen has off-white vinyl flooring that's probably 25-30 years old. There's no longer a glossy protective layer on it, so the dirt just gets ground in. That mop head picked up a LOT of gunk. The floor is still darker than the original color, as I'm sure it would be even if I used industrial strength cleaner on it. But it looks a heck of a lot better than it did this morning!

Hmmmm...I'm gonna have to get me one of these!

Wow! Thanks for the tip - my bathroom floor is almost impossible to get clean - especially around my sink where I spray hairspray and other gunk. I get down on my hands and knees and scrub, and it still has a film. Maybe this will do the trick!:thumbup:

Great to know. I know what I am stopping on the way home to pick up. :)

My kitchen floor is always dirty because of that is the first place the dogs and cats (sometime's baby pig's when they get out of the pen) walk through when they come in the doggie door.

I think I will try that again on my tile floor.

For my hardwood floors, the best mop I have ever used has a microfiber head. It works great!

Oh I need to look for those. We LOVE Magic erasers - they are amazing. And we even buy the store brand ones that work just as good.

Cool!
I saw a commercial the other day for magic eraser things for your flat-top stoves. Anyone seen/tried those? I was excited cause sometimes my burners are hard to clean.

I have a feeling that if I used a Magic Eraser on my kitchen floor, I'd end up in the basement.

Yep! I used mine yesterday.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I have a feeling that if I used a Magic Eraser on my kitchen floor, I'd end up in the basement.

I get that feeling too sometimes, but your house has oh about 150+ years on mine!

This sounds cool!! I would like one for the bathrooms. When my kitchen floor was put in, they told me I have to be careful what I use on it. It is vinyl...I have used Swiffer wetjet on it...do you think the majic eraser would work?

I love the magic eraser mop for my laminate floor that looks like tile. It doesn't work very good on my lanolium (sp?).

ChefBeckyD said:
Wow! Thanks for the tip - my bathroom floor is almost impossible to get clean - especially around my sink where I spray hairspray and other gunk. I get down on my hands and knees and scrub, and it still has a film. Maybe this will do the trick!:thumbup:
I read somewhere that shaving cream will take hairspray off your floor. I actually boil water and then pour it into a bucket with amonia. I like the shaving cream better.

I use TSP and mix it with a little water and it gets the hairspray right off! Off the wall, the door, the floor, off everything! It was a little tip from my hairstylist. It even gets the ICE mist that I use occasionally and that's like superglue! Try it!

I'll have to let my sister know about this - we were just complaining about our kitchen floors yesterday! I have a good wool string mop that did an amazing job on my kitchen floor last week - I used "Mop 'n Glo" and the string mop and it was awesome!

I hope it stays nice and clean for you - thanks for the tip - hopefully it helps my sister!

If it takes TSP, hot water and ammonia to get hair spray off the floor, how in the heck do you ever get it off your hair?
z0tdntknw.gif

kcjodih said:
I use TSP and mix it with a little water and it gets the hairspray right off! Off the wall, the door, the floor, off everything! It was a little tip from my hairstylist. It even gets the ICE mist that I use occasionally and that's like superglue! Try it!
What is TSP?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
If it takes TSP, hot water and ammonia to get hair spray off the floor, how in the heck do you ever get it off your hair?
z0tdntknw.gif
Maybe I should use shampoo to get the hairspray off the floor. Hmmmm....

Trisodium Phosphate.Powerful stuff.

It's awesome stuff and super easy! I give it a little scrub and rinse, then a second scrub on stubborn areas. I've had the whole area (door, wall, floor, done in less than 10 minutes). Here's another link TSP - TriSodium Phosphate - Paint Prep Cleaner

I've had the same box for 4 years now and do my bathroom every few months and I've only used half the box, so it lasts almost forever :D

Hey, Ann, we had the same problem with our kitchen floor (protective layer being gone over course of 30 years). I also hate mopping, but about once a year I get crazy and hand do the whole thing. It looks great! For about a week. Then it's just as bad as before.

Last time I did the floor I also got a bottle of shining stuff. Gee I wish I could remember the name, but it was right with the mop n ' glo. I put on layers until I was done with the whole bottle, actually. This was 6 months ago and the floor still looks great! I can just Swiffer it most of the time and get it clean now!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Trisodium Phosphate.Powerful stuff.
So you buy it in a bottle? I'd like to try it if it works.

kcjodih said:
It's awesome stuff and super easy! I give it a little scrub and rinse, then a second scrub on stubborn areas. I've had the whole area (door, wall, floor, done in less than 10 minutes). Here's another link TSP - TriSodium Phosphate - Paint Prep Cleaner

I've had the same box for 4 years now and do my bathroom every few months and I've only used half the box, so it lasts almost forever :D

Thanks for explaining that Jodi!

KateD said:
Hey, Ann, we had the same problem with our kitchen floor (protective layer being gone over course of 30 years). I also hate mopping, but about once a year I get crazy and hand do the whole thing. It looks great! For about a week. Then it's just as bad as before.

Last time I did the floor I also got a bottle of shining stuff. Gee I wish I could remember the name, but it was right with the mop n ' glo. I put on layers until I was done with the whole bottle, actually. This was 6 months ago and the floor still looks great! I can just Swiffer it most of the time and get it clean now!
We're SUPPOSED to be redoing the kitchen, so I'm not doing any more than I have to in order to keep it presentable. Part of the redo will include new floors (and I'm going to be stuck with wood flooring so that it matches the rest of the house - yuck).

Does anyone have one of the steam mops?? I keep looking at them.
My floor is the same...30+ years old and nasty!! I'm headed to the store later...so I'm looking for the magic eraser one. Thanks for the tip!

PS...I love magic erasers...kids & markers...you get the picture!

Thanks for the tip Ann! I LOVE magic erasers and didn't know they had a mop head. I could never get my daughters stroller clean (It is a light sage green color and shows ALL dirt) and I tried the ME on it this week, holy cow it looks brand new again!

smspamperedchef said:
Was it called FUTURE?

Mayyyyybeeee. I don't know. I can't even remember what the product name is, let alone the brand. I'm such a goob. But it was the best $4 and 2 hours I've invested in my kitchen!

Ann, I'm dreaming about a kitchen remodel, even though my (non-cooking, non-mopping) husband is totally sold on wood flooring to match the rest of the downstairs (after we rip up the carpets in the dining and living rooms, that is).

I'm NOT sold on it.

KateD said:
Ann, I'm dreaming about a kitchen remodel, even though my (non-cooking, non-mopping) husband is totally sold on wood flooring to match the rest of the downstairs (after we rip up the carpets in the dining and living rooms, that is).

I'm NOT sold on it.

I got stuck with wood floors in the living room and dining room when we remodeled those rooms 5 years ago. There was 30+ year old carpet in those rooms, and the original wood floors underneath. Wood floors look good in other people's houses, but I don't like them for everyday for me. And since the kitchen connects to both the living room and dining room, we kinda have to go with wood so it coordinates.

Right now, the only carpet in the house is in the full bath. I don't know why someone would put wall to wall carpet in a full bath, but that's what the previous owner did. :yuck:

Ann...wouldn't a large tile "go" with the wood floors? Could you talk DH into that?

Jodi~

How much TSP and how much water to make your floor cleaner for hair spray! My bathroom floor needs done and that sounds easier than vinegar and a toothbrush!! lol

KellyTheChef said:
Ann...wouldn't a large tile "go" with the wood floors? Could you talk DH into that?
It might, but he wants wood. Since I'm getting the things I want in the rest of the kitchen I'll probably have to cave on the flooring. Well, if it ever happens. :rolleyes: He also can't stand the faucet I like: http://www.us.kohler.com/faucets/karbon/index.jsp

KellyTheChef said:
Jodi~

How much TSP and how much water to make your floor cleaner for hair spray! My bathroom floor needs done and that sounds easier than vinegar and a toothbrush!! lol

Be careful with the chemicals while you're pregnant Kelly!

1. What is the Magic Eraser mop head and how does it work?

The Magic Eraser mop head is a cleaning tool designed to be used with a mop. It is made from a special material that has a sponge-like texture, allowing it to easily pick up dirt and grime from various surfaces. It works by using the power of water-activated micro-scrubbers to break down and remove tough stains and dirt.

2. Is the Magic Eraser mop head safe to use on all types of flooring?

No, the Magic Eraser mop head is not recommended for use on wood floors. It is best used on non-wood surfaces, such as tile, vinyl, and linoleum.

3. How often should the Magic Eraser mop head be replaced?

The frequency of replacement will depend on how often you use the mop head and the condition of your flooring. Generally, it is recommended to replace the mop head every 3-4 months or when it starts to show signs of wear and tear.

4. Can the Magic Eraser mop head be used with any type of mop?

Yes, the Magic Eraser mop head is designed to be compatible with most standard mops. However, it is always best to check the packaging or product instructions to ensure compatibility before use.

5. Will the Magic Eraser mop head remove all stains and grime from my flooring?

The Magic Eraser mop head is effective at removing a variety of stains and dirt, but it may not be able to remove all types of stains. For tougher stains, it is recommended to pre-treat the area with a stain remover before using the mop head.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
akrebecca
  • pamperedlinda
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • candiejayne
  • General Chat
Replies