• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Disaster in the Kitchen: A Lesson Learned from Making Glazed Lemon Cake

In summary, a group of people discuss their experiences with cooking in the microwave and how they have burned food in the past. One person shares a method for getting rid of the burnt smell in the microwave, while another suggests using charcoal briquettes. Others mention using lemon juice or baking soda to remove the smell. Some people talk about using prep bowls for individual servings, with one person sharing that they usually microwave a cake for 50 seconds in one prep bowl. Another person suggests buying a second set of prep bowls.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
Tonight, I decided to make the Glazed Lemon Cake to take to the church potluck. :chef:

I decided to do it "Kelly's way" and put it in the fluted stone and use the oven. And I decided to reserve just a little of the batter to put in my prep bowl so I could have an individual serving just for me, to see if the cake was "fit" to serve to the church.

Well ... The oven baked cake looks good enough.

But as for the lonely little micro cake ... I checked the micro directions, not even THINKING that I might have to reduce the cooking time if I wasn't doing six of them ....

With about 20 second left on the timer, the stench of burning cake was unbearable! I grabbed a potholder and emtied the prep bowl straight into the garbage disposal! I have since cooled the prep bowl, cleaned the prep bowl and the microwave, but can't get the smell of burned lemon cake out of my head, or my house!

For those of us who do not HAVE six prep bowls (starter kit came with 2) how long do you nuke 1 or 2 at a time?

I think it would be about one minute

I think Shana's right; there are some recipes for 1 minute cakes floating around.

Sorry you had such a stinky experience!

I had to laugh (sorry) about your dilemma. Its something I would probably do. I frequently burn microwave popcorn, ok I ALWAYS BURN microwave popcorn.

LOL I feel your pain!

Try this remedy I found....

Does anyone know how to get the burnt smell out of a microwave?
My son burnt a cup of ramen noodles in the microwave.

place charcoal briquettes in the microwave (not the presoked kind that light quick the cheep ones) and close the door overnight in the morning remove the charcoal and wipe clean, the charcoal absorbs the odor.

Asker's Comment: Thanks it worked!!! My house does not smell like burnt noodles anymore!!

vwpamperedchef said:
I had to laugh (sorry) about your dilemma. Its something I would probably do. I frequently burn microwave popcorn, ok I ALWAYS BURN microwave popcorn.

LOL I feel your pain!

Try this remedy I found....

Does anyone know how to get the burnt smell out of a microwave?
My son burnt a cup of ramen noodles in the microwave.

place charcoal briquettes in the microwave (not the presoked kind that light quick the cheep ones) and close the door overnight in the morning remove the charcoal and wipe clean, the charcoal absorbs the odor.

Asker's Comment: Thanks it worked!!! My house does not smell like burnt noodles anymore!!

Another method is to take fresh lemon juice and microwave it till it boils - leave it in the microwave to cool - the lemon juice will take away the smell odor (ok - I burn popcorn too -lol)

ShanaSmith said:
I think it would be about one minute
I have made 2 cakes in the prep bowls in the microwave for 1 minute. I would think a full minute for one would make a really dry cake.

Thanks for the advice on the Prep Bowls ladies, I have make a Mental Note. 1 Prep Bowl, 50 seconds.

Smell in Microwave, try taking the classic batterbowl fill it 3/4 with water and put a bunch of baking soda in it. Boil it for 3-4 min, then take it out. Wipe inside with papertowls. Baking soda will remove any burn on anything easily and remove the odor.:chef:

I had a similar thing happen with my rice cooker friday.... I ruined it and had the smell of burnt rice in the house all day! Guess I should not have been a smartie pants and just read the directions.... go figure

My solution would be to buy the whole set on your next supply order! I'm thinking of getting a 2nd set myself.

1. What is "Do Not Try This at Home!" all about?

"Do Not Try This at Home!" is a kitchen safety demonstration that showcases the potential dangers of using certain kitchen tools and techniques. It aims to educate people on how to use these tools and techniques safely to avoid accidents and injuries in the kitchen.

2. Who can attend a "Do Not Try This at Home!" demonstration?

Anyone can attend a "Do Not Try This at Home!" demonstration, whether you are a Pampered Chef customer, consultant, or simply someone interested in kitchen safety. It is open to all ages, but children should be accompanied by an adult.

3. How long does a "Do Not Try This at Home!" demonstration last?

The duration of a "Do Not Try This at Home!" demonstration can vary, but it typically lasts about 1-2 hours. This includes a brief introduction, the safety demonstration, and a Q&A session.

4. Is there a cost to attend a "Do Not Try This at Home!" demonstration?

No, there is no cost to attend a "Do Not Try This at Home!" demonstration. It is a free event hosted by Pampered Chef to promote kitchen safety and educate people on the proper use of kitchen tools and techniques.

5. Can I host a "Do Not Try This at Home!" demonstration in my home?

Yes, you can host a "Do Not Try This at Home!" demonstration in your home. You can work with your Pampered Chef consultant to schedule a date and invite your friends and family to attend. It is a fun and educational way to gather with loved ones while learning about kitchen safety.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Pam Barrett
  • chefloretta
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
yankeeinontario
  • chefmelody
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies