• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Lemon Custard Cakes - Prep Bowls!

In summary, this recipe calls for buttering and lining six 6-ounce custard cups with a kitchen towel before baking in a preheated oven. The dish is then cooked in boiling water until the puddings are puffed and lightly browned.
chefmelody
I just got this Martha Stewart recipe in an email from Borders, and I immediately thought of the prep bowls!

Lemon Custard Cakes
Serves 6
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes

Lemon Custard Cakes
Baking the desserts in a hot-water bath keeps them creamy and custardy beneath their golden, cakey tops. Lining the roasting pan with a dish towel helps the water circulate under the cups for even cooking. Note: I wonder if we'd need the towel, if we baked them in a stoneware baker?

Unsalted butter, at room temperature, for custard cups
3 large eggs, separated
½ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 to 3 teaspoons grated lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup milk
¼ teaspoon salt
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Set a kettle of water to boil. Butter six 6-ounce custard cups (prep bowls!), and place them in a roasting pan or baking dish lined with a kitchen towel.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and granulated sugar until the mixture is light; whisk in the flour. Gradually whisk in the lemon zest and juice, then whisk in the milk.

3. With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Add to the lemon mixture; gently fold in with a whisk (the batter will be thin).

4. Divide the batter among the prepared cups. Place the pan in the oven, and fill with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the cups. Bake until the puddings are puffed and lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, dusted with confectioners' sugar.

Last edited:
Those sound delicious.

Sounds Yummy:) I can't wait to try this one out.

chefmelody said:
INote: I wonder if we'd need the towel, if we baked them in a stoneware baker?
The towel also helps keep them from sliding around the pan.

chefann said:
The towel also helps keep them from sliding around the pan.

I've seen the TV chefs use paper towels for that same purpose. I think it was a Paula Deen show where she made creme brulee.

I don't think we are ever supposd to put the prep bowls on a stone and then in the oven. I've heard that the stone could break because of the difference in temp, and that HO will not replace the stones. I've heard stones are never to be used with anything but another stone. No glass, no metal. I would probably use my roasting pan.

1. Can I use a different type of citrus fruit instead of lemon for these custard cakes?

Yes, you can use any type of citrus fruit for these custard cakes. Some popular alternatives include orange, lime, and grapefruit.

2. How many servings does one batch of lemon custard cakes make?

One batch of lemon custard cakes makes 6 individual cakes.

3. Can I make these lemon custard cakes ahead of time and freeze them?

Yes, you can make these lemon custard cakes ahead of time and freeze them for up to 3 months. Just make sure to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or place them in an airtight container before freezing.

4. Can I use regular muffin tins instead of the prep bowls?

Yes, you can use regular muffin tins instead of the prep bowls. Just make sure to adjust the baking time accordingly, as the cakes may take longer to bake in a larger tin.

5. Do I need to grease the prep bowls before baking the lemon custard cakes?

Yes, it is recommended to grease the prep bowls before baking the lemon custard cakes to ensure they don't stick. You can use cooking spray or butter to grease the bowls.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies