• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dumb Question About the Heavenly Lemon Angel Cake

In summary, this recipe calls for adding food coloring to water to get a desired color, and then baking the cake according to the package directions. It is recommended that you prepare the cake the day before you plan to serve it, and that you let it stand for 30 minutes to soak through the glaze. If you want to serve it without cutting it up
babywings76
Gold Member
Has anyone made this before? It's one of the recipes in the HWC favorite recipes pack.

I have a probably really dumb question about it. Here's part of the instructions...

Preheat oven to 350. For cake, add food coloring to amount of water specified on package. Prepare cake according to package directions. Pour batter into Rectangular Baker. Bake on center rack 35-40 min or until top is golden brown, cracked and center is slightly sunken. (Do not overbake). Remove baker from oven; invert onto Stackable Cooking Rack. Without removing baker, let stand until completely cool (about 1 1/2 hrs.)

Poke holes in cake about 1 1/2 in deep and 1/2 in apart w/ large fork. Zest lemons using Zester/Scorer to measure 1 Tbsp zest. Juice lemons using Juicer to measure 1/3 cup juice. In Small Batter Bowl, combine sugar, juice and zest; Whisk until smooth. Pour glaze over cake, spreading evenly. Let stand 30 min or until glaze is set.

I need to put this on some sort of plate or platter, right? Before poking the holes and pouring the glaze on? What kind of plate would this fit on?

I overthink things sometimes. I'm assuming that I need it to be on a platter before I do the glaze. I guess I'll have to cut the cake up to it will fit on the large square or round platters I have. I don't have a PC platter that this fits on. Unless I set it back into the rectangular baker (not sure it fits back in there in the cakes inverted state).

So, has anyone else made this? What did you do?

Maybe you can flip the whole thing back over, leaving it in the baker and finishing then serving it from the baker? I haven't made it yet, I am only guessing what I would do, because I don't have any of the platters yet!!

You do not remove it from the baker. You invert it to keep the angel food cake from going flat. Just flip the baker over on the cooling rack and leave it there. Make the entire thing in the baker then cut and serve from there. You can place the cut slices on a serving platter if you want or serve it straight from the baker.

The first time I tried to make this the cake stuck to the baker. The second time I made it I put parchment paper in the bottom of the pan. Then when it was done I inverted the pan, took the paper off and then put the cake back into the pan (with it still upside down. (That way I had a flatter service for the glaze.)

Oh well, this turned out really terrible for me. It overcooked and burnt on the bottom and was stuck to the stone. I followed the directions as far as cook time and how it was supposed to look to know when it's done. Maybe next time I'll try using parchment. Also, I made the glaze while it was cooking, and so it was stiff by the time I needed it. I re-whisked it and it was okay. But my sister said it was grainy. ?? Also, I didn't allow myself the 30 min. that it was supposed to soak through. So...it was a disaster for me. But it was operator error for the most part. :rolleyes:

I found by lowering the rack in my oven the cake baked perfectly. I lightly oiled my rectangular baker before putting the cake in it. After it cooled on the rack. I put it on a Rectangular Cake Server that I have and it wasn't a pretty sight sitting there. Only once it's cut up and you see the pretty pink is it pleasing to look at. Next time I make it I will leave it in the stone. Thanks for that suggestion Linda.

I tried this cake twice before I gave up. I was going to make it for shows to show off the card sets. It tasted great both times, nice and sweet. But it was the ugliest cake I've ever made. The top wasn't smooth and you could see the imprint of the rack on it. I really like the idea of making an angel food cake in the rectangular baker. Especially if you are using it to cut up for a trifle and don't care what it looks like.

Kind of reminds me of the Jello cake I made for my kids - yellow cake mix in a large bar pan, poke holes all over, pour hot Jello mixture on top (just whatever the jello box says to make it). The cake absorbs all the jello, looks really cool when you slice it.

When I was a kid one of my favorite packaged snack foods (Lil' Debbie's or something similar) was a square of angel food cake with fluffy pink icing. If this cake is so goood, but ugly, maybe a pink icing would help?

scottcooks said:
Kind of reminds me of the Jello cake I made for my kids - yellow cake mix in a large bar pan, poke holes all over, pour hot Jello mixture on top (just whatever the jello box says to make it). The cake absorbs all the jello, looks really cool when you slice it.

This sounds like fun....can I ask a few questions (I am the worst baker in the world)?

Once the cake is baked, that's when you pour your jello mix, right?

Do you then put the baker with the cake and jello in the fridge?

Thanks!

The way I "prettied" this cake up was once I had poured the glaze on, I "frosted" it with cool whip. The top was nice and fluffy white, and then when you served it, you had the pretty color stripes and you could taste the glaze.

BlessedWifeMommy said:
I tried this cake twice before I gave up. I was going to make it for shows to show off the card sets. It tasted great both times, nice and sweet. But it was the ugliest cake I've ever made. The top wasn't smooth and you could see the imprint of the rack on it.

I really like the idea of making an angel food cake in the rectangular baker. Especially if you are using it to cut up for a trifle and don't care what it looks like.

How about if you ever so lightly spritz the large cutting board then flip the cake on it, then when ready put back into the stone.....HTH

Last edited:
Hey Ladies,

Could somebody post the bits that are missing from the recipe in the first post (I realise it is mostly there) as I don't have it yet - I'm about to order the recipe cards for myself, but I'd love to try it.

Thanks!

I'm a bit confused as to how you would see stripes in it, as it sounds as though you colour the cake itself pink, and the glaze is not coloured? Is that right? Or is it just that because the glaze goes in the cake and "wets" it, that it makes stripes when it is cut?

Its also in All The Best....& behind CC.....

Heavenly Lemon Angel Cake
Ingredients:
5 drops red food coloring
1 pkg (16 oz or 430 g) angel food cake mix
3 lemons
2 cups (500 mL) powdered sugar
2 cups (500 mL) thawed frozen fat-free whipped topping
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen raspberries in syrup, thawed

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). For cake, add food coloring to amount of water specified on package. Prepare cake according to package directions. Pour batter into Rectangular Baker. Bake on center rack 35-40 minutes or until top is golden brown, cracked and center is slightly sunken. (Do not underbake.) Remove baker from oven; invert onto Stackable Cooling Rack. Without removing baker, let stand until completely cool (about 1 1/2 hours).

2. Poke holes in cake about 1 1/2 in. (4 cm) deep and 1/2 in. (1 cm) apart with large fork. Zest lemons using Zester/Scorer to measure 1 tbsp (15 mL) zest. Juice lemons using Juicer to measure 1/3 cup (75 mL) juice. In Small Batter Bowl, combine sugar, juice and zest; whisk until smooth. Pour glaze over cake, spreading evenly. Let stand 30 minutes or until glaze is set.

3. Attach open star tip to Easy Accent® Decorator; fill with whipped topping. Garnish each serving with whipped topping; top with raspberries.

Yield: 15 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 220, Total Fat 0 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 52 g, Protein 3 g, Sodium 300 mg, Fiber 1 g

U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving: 2 1/2 fruit, 1 starch (3 1/2 carb)

This recipe can be found in The Pampered Chef® Favorites Recipe Cards.

©The Pampered Chef, Ltd. 2003

Thanks Ginger! I looked behind CC and did a search in the recipe section. It found the name, but told me it was from ATB and didn't give the recipe.

Is there somewhere else to look for recipes that I don't know about?? (I do know about the ones in the Theme Show section).

AnnieBee said:
Thanks Ginger! I looked behind CC and did a search in the recipe section. It found the name, but told me it was from ATB and didn't give the recipe.

Is there somewhere else to look for recipes that I don't know about?? (I do know about the ones in the Theme Show section).

Whenever I need a recipe from there, I just hit search, I don't give any added info & I find I get a better list. Then I just look through the list....HTH

Also I'm sure you know about these sites....

http://joycesfinecooking.com/pamperedchefs.htm

pampered chef recipes, page 1 | pampered chef

Thanks Ginger! That is really strange though, that the seactrhes work that way. I went back to CC, and searched for "Heavenly Lemon Angel Cake" without specifying it as a dessert. This time it listed it as in ATB (without the recipe) but also listed it as a product use and care recipe, with a link to the recipe.

And you know, I did know about those web-sites but forgot about them for this! I probably could have just googled it too, and come up with it. Oh well, hopefully I'll remember for next time. Thanks for the links!

AnnieBee said:
Thanks Ginger! That is really strange though, that the seactrhes work that way. I went back to CC, and searched for "Heavenly Lemon Angel Cake" without specifying it as a dessert. This time it listed it as in ATB (without the recipe) but also listed it as a product use and care recipe, with a link to the recipe.

And you know, I did know about those web-sites but forgot about them for this! I probably could have just googled it too, and come up with it. Oh well, hopefully I'll remember for next time. Thanks for the links!

ANYTIME!!!
Now if I can bake 1/10 the way you do.....;)

AnnieBee said:

Okay, maybe I'm just being a little dense :confused: but what exactly do you mean when you say "behind" CC... I understand that you look on CC and under the recipes section and all that, but "behind"???

ChefPaulaB said:
Okay, maybe I'm just being a little dense :confused: but what exactly do you mean when you say "behind" CC... I understand that you look on CC and under the recipes section and all that, but "behind"???

Thats exactly what we mean......;)

Yep, Ginger is right, that's all I meant. Went to CC, went to the recipes section etc etc...

Not even sure why I used the word behind!! :D

Oh, and Ginger, wait until I make this recipe before you worry about your baking skills. Last time I made an angel food cake (from a mix) is was a DISASTER! So you're ahead of me if you can get this to turn out!

It's been years, so I thinkI'm ready to try again, LOL!

What are the ingredients for the Heavenly Lemon Angel Cake?

The ingredients for this heavenly cake include flour, sugar, eggs, butter, baking powder, salt, milk, vanilla extract, and lemon juice and zest.

Is the Heavenly Lemon Angel Cake difficult to make?

Not at all! The recipe is very simple and can be made by anyone, even those with minimal baking experience.

Can I substitute the lemon flavor for something else?

Yes, if lemon is not your preferred flavor, you can substitute it with other citrus flavors such as lime or orange. You can also omit the citrus altogether and add in your desired flavoring.

Can I make the Heavenly Lemon Angel Cake ahead of time?

Yes, you can make this cake ahead of time. Simply wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Before serving, let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to soften.

Can I use a different type of pan for this cake?

The best pan to use for this cake is a tube pan or a bundt pan. However, you can also use a 9x13 inch cake pan or two 9-inch round cake pans. Just adjust the baking time accordingly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sharalam
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • BlessedWifeMommy
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies