• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Did I Mess Up My Chicken Mole Recipe?

In summary, Jessica made the Chicken Mole from the Latin Flavor Cookbook for dinner tonight, but nobody liked it. Definitely needed salt and more heat. She recommends prepping EVERYTHING before putting anything in the skillet, or whatever pot/pan you use. The mole is unique and has a key ingredient - chocolate. She recommends a particular brand, but notes that others make a home made version that is just as good.
pampchefsarah
Gold Member
I made the Chicken Mole from the Latin Flavor Cookbook for dinner tonight. Nobody liked it. Definitely needed salt and more heat. I don't know if it was the brand of mole I bought (I might go to the Latino Grocery next time to see if I can find something better), or if it was something else.

It was, however, very easy, and would be good for a show. I recommend prepping EVERYTHING before putting anything in the skillet, or whatever pot/pan you use. This will make the cook time seem really quick to the guests. This does not mean prep before the guests get there, but show off that Classic Batter Bowl and the prep bowls. Also, make sure you cook plenty of rice.

Anyway, I'll try it one more time in the next couple of weeks, adding the salt (PC Pantry Seasalt, of course), and one of the rubs, and let you know how it turns out.

I LOVE mole, but it is definitely an acquired taste for some. My husband HATES it! I am Hispanic and he is white. Which brand did you buy?

For those of us who think moles are things that annoy us in the garden... can you explain what it is?

Mmmm, mole! LOVES it!

Here's a website that explains it well: http://www.oaxaca-restaurants.com/oaxaca-mole.htm

It's a unique sauce that has a key ingredient - chocolate! Need I say more?? ;)

IAmChefJ said:
For those of us who think moles are things that annoy us in the garden... can you explain what it is?

For those who don't know, it's pronounced mo-lay. :thumbup:

ChefJWarren said:
I LOVE mole, but it is definitely an acquired taste for some. My husband HATES it! I am Hispanic and he is white. Which brand did you buy?

Jessica, I removed the label (and kept the glass bottle as a drinking glass!), so I don't remember. I think it was Dona something (for those who don't know, the 'n' should have a squiggly line over it, which makes the word pronounced do(e)nya, and it is a term of respect for an older woman). Anyway, here's what I'm thinking I did wrong, and maybe you can tell me if I'm right.

There was liquid sitting at the top of the bottle, but the 'paste' was too solid to mix the liquid into. Should I have stored the mole upside down, so the liquid could 'rise' through the mole by the time I used it (like one does when using 'natural' peanut butter) then stirred the contents before using?

Do you know of a really good brand to recommend?

My husband, who is from El Salvador, actually ate the whole serving, and didn't add anything to it (which, come to think of it, in itself is really unusual - he almost always adds something to whatever I cook!), not even salt (which I thought really improved the flavor), so maybe it wasn't as bad as I think.

pampchefsarah said:
Jessica, I removed the label (and kept the glass bottle as a drinking glass!), so I don't remember. I think it was Dona something (for those who don't know, the 'n' should have a squiggly line over it, which makes the word pronounced do(e)nya, and it is a term of respect for an older woman). Anyway, here's what I'm thinking I did wrong, and maybe you can tell me if I'm right.

There was liquid sitting at the top of the bottle, but the 'paste' was too solid to mix the liquid into. Should I have stored the mole upside down, so the liquid could 'rise' through the mole by the time I used it (like one does when using 'natural' peanut butter) then stirred the contents before using?

Do you know of a really good brand to recommend?

My husband, who is from El Salvador, actually ate the whole serving, and didn't add anything to it (which, come to think of it, in itself is really unusual - he almost always adds something to whatever I cook!), not even salt (which I thought really improved the flavor), so maybe it wasn't as bad as I think.

Sarah you are funny! Doña Maria is one of the more popular brands people buy. I most recently found out there were other home made versions. My mom knows a couple of ladies that make it and sell the paste you just need to add chicken broth. There is also a Oxacan Restaurant that sells different ones and they are delicious see if there is one near you (Guelaguetza). You know how they give you chips and salsa when you go to a restaurant? Well they serve you chips with delicious mole and cheese on top instead. Yummm. I haven't looked at the recipe, but the one we had some time ago (mole pizza) was no good. Not when you know what it really should taste like. :)

cathyskitchen said:
It's a unique sauce that has a key ingredient - chocolate! Need I say more?? ;)

Nope! I'm sold!

Addie4TLC said:
Sarah you are funny! Doña Maria is one of the more popular brands people buy. I most recently found out there were other home made versions. My mom knows a couple of ladies that make it and sell the paste you just need to add chicken broth. There is also a Oxacan Restaurant that sells different ones and they are delicious see if there is one near you (Guelaguetza). You know how they give you chips and salsa when you go to a restaurant? Well they serve you chips with delicious mole and cheese on top instead. Yummm. I haven't looked at the recipe, but the one we had some time ago (mole pizza) was no good. Not when you know what it really should taste like. :)

Addie, my husband said it wasn't how you'd expect mole to taste. Maybe I did something wrong, since, if Dona Maria is a popular brand, you'd think it would be good for this recipe. I'd like to try it again, but don't think I can get my family to be taste testers a second time, so I'd have to find other victims.

pampchefsarah said:
Addie, my husband said it wasn't how you'd expect mole to taste. Maybe I did something wrong, since, if Dona Maria is a popular brand, you'd think it would be good for this recipe. I'd like to try it again, but don't think I can get my family to be taste testers a second time, so I'd have to find other victims.

...And it will probably be really good that time!! La ley de Murphy! :)

Related to Did I Mess Up My Chicken Mole Recipe?

1. What is the "Chicken Mole in New Cookbook" recipe?

The "Chicken Mole in New Cookbook" recipe is a delicious and authentic Mexican dish that combines tender chicken with a rich and flavorful mole sauce made from ingredients such as dried chiles, nuts, and chocolate.

2. Is the "Chicken Mole in New Cookbook" recipe difficult to make?

While the recipe may seem complex with its list of ingredients, it is actually quite easy to make. The new cookbook provides step-by-step instructions and helpful tips to ensure a successful and delicious dish.

3. Can I substitute the chicken with another protein?

Yes, you can definitely substitute the chicken with another protein such as tofu, beef, or even vegetables. The mole sauce is versatile and can complement a variety of proteins, making it a great option for vegetarians.

4. How long does it take to make the "Chicken Mole in New Cookbook" recipe?

The total time for this recipe is approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes, with prep time being 30 minutes and cook time being 1 hour. However, the actual hands-on time is only about 30 minutes, making it a great option for a weeknight dinner.

5. Can I adjust the spiciness of the mole sauce?

Yes, you can adjust the spiciness of the mole sauce by adding more or less of the dried chiles. The recipe in the new cookbook provides a moderate level of spiciness, but you can customize it to your preference by adding more or less chiles.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefDi
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • Dotty
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
schel
Replies