• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Did I Make a Costly Mistake with My Disappointing Book Show?

In summary, the host tried to get a mini loaf stoneware pan for 60% off, but failed. The host tried to get a show to the $150 mark, but was unsuccessful.
LeanneB.
I am still in my 30 days and this situation has taught me a few valuable lessons. I had a host, who is my daughter's teacher at daycare, that really wanted a mini loaf stoneware pan. I talked her into doing a show over Thanksgiving. Well, she ended up with a total of $108 in sales. She put all orders except her own on the same order form so that each person would not have to pay the $4.25 s&h and paid with one check.

Well... I didn't realize that you HAD to have $150 for a show so when I tried to enter into PP+, it would not submit. I ended up ordering product for myself in the end to make up for the lack of sales. It cost my around $75!!!!

Was there any other way that I could have done this? In trying to get her the item for 60% off, I really look a hit on this one. I guess that it will help to have the product to show... but...???? :eek:

It should be the responsibility of the host to get those last few sales in. Just tell them that their show doesn't "count" until they get up to $150 in sales. I would have told her to call some more friends and family to get that last little bit, or else I would have just submitted it as an individual order and told her "sorry" about the 60% off stoneware item.At least you will get the items you ordered for 22% off (if you count your commission).

Yakmama said:
It should be the responsibility of the host to get those last few sales in. Just tell them that their show doesn't "count" until they get up to $150 in sales. I would have told her to call some more friends and family to get that last little bit, or else I would have just submitted it as an individual order and told her "sorry" about the 60% off stoneware item.

At least you will get the items you ordered for 22% off (if you count your commission).

Exactly, it's not our responsibility to get shows to the $150 mark.

wadesgirl said:
Exactly, it's not our responsibility to get shows to the $150 mark.

But, it is our responsiblity to let our hosts know this fact.

I have a new recruit who is struggling with this issue. We can't count on our Hosts reading ANY of the literature we send/give to them. As much as I don't want to mention the idea of anything less than a $500 show to my hosts, it is important to do this so they know what to expect.

Either the host has $150 or it's not a show. Period. Next time, you have to tell your hosts UP FRONT that is $150 or call her back and tell her she's short.

If I have extra orders to add I will....but if it still doesn't reach then I let the host know I added a few orders but they need X amount to have a qualifying show.
Its hard I know b/c you want all of your hostess to get all of the host benefits...but don't do it at your expense.

chefjeanine said:

I have a new recruit who is struggling with this issue. We can't count on our Hosts reading ANY of the literature we send/give to them. As much as I don't want to mention the idea of anything less than a $500 show to my hosts, it is important to do this so they know what to expect.

I wasn't meaning in that sense, I meant that instead of taking it upon herself to order enough to make it a show, she should have called the host back and clarified it with her.

The host could have placed her order as a guest to help make it add up to $150.
I have also placed an order to help out a host if it's a personal friend or family or I just needed the stuff anyway.
When I was before my first 15k in sales, I would place an order for myself through a party instead of making a non commission order. You get at least 20% back in commision instead of a 20% discount.

I type up a letter with a lot of info on it. When I think they have the packet, if I mailed it, I call and go over it with them. I covered my butt and the rest is then up to them. As long as you mention it, show them where the info is, it is then on them to make it a party and not you! If this business costs you more money than you are making, then you should not be doing this.

Attachments

• Janette Barry Letterhead.doc
    308.1 KB · Views: 332
I added an order to my first catalog show, but it was for my best friend, and although she lives out of state and knows hardly anyone there, she really really wanted to help me out and be one of my first qualifying shows. I wouldn't do this for just anyone, but I wanted more stuff, and I wanted to thank her for helping me out. I just put the order in my BFs name, LOL he was surprised when FedEx brought a box addressed to him to our house. He said WOW, what did I buy! I said nothing til you give me the money for it, he wasn't too thrilled about the idea of giving me money, but he's excited for me to make a yummy looking torte now!

I have an actual cooking show out right now that is stuck at about $70. I told her I'm not turning it in until she reaches the $150, or I would need more money for shipping cost. It sounds mean to say it that way, but I am doing this to make money, not spend it, and honestly, it took a lot out of my budget to help the first friend out with about $30. I can't do it again!

I had one Catalog Show Host who only ended up with $75 for her Show. I had another one end up with $153. I just combined the two and gave the Host with the most the $15 in FPV and the other Host $10. They were both pleased and rebooked for 2009 so I am happy. I agree with everyone else. Also don't let her turn in all the order on her Host order because it messes up the totals. We have to make it clear to our Hosts how much is the "minimum show". I also give out letters, talk to even my Catalog Hosts several times by phone and emails and it sometimes still doesn't sink in!

When I have a catalog show, I write them a letter just like I do for my Cooking Show hosts and clearly identify that they need $150 in sales in order for the show to count.

I also call my catalog hosts regularily. I have had catalog hosts who have had a show going for more than a week or two, I called them every couple of days and asked them how it was going, if they needed more catalogs or order forms (Outside ones that are printable from CC) etc. Keeps them on top of thier show and makes them accountable. I also include in my letters that this is not a hobby for me and is an essential part of my families income. I have never had an outright cancellations. Have had a few re-scheduled shows but never a NO GO Show!!

I had a host who had nobody show up for her show. She is a friend so I turned it into a book party (and tried the recipes out on her.) She got one order for $35. I got the other $170. She only wanted a little free product so we split it down the middle. I got the stoneware and a cookbook and she got bamboo spoons and a spice. We were both happy.

chefjeanine said:

I totally agree with Jeanine. You have to be very explicit with what counts as a show. It was commendable of you to make up the balance of what she needed for her sales...and you'll never forget to mention the $150 barrier again I'm sure ;-)

Consider it a growing pain....

What is a book show?

Andrea

a catalog show. Passing catalogs around to everyone they know without having to worry about a clean house! They still get benefits just $15 less than a cooking show.

pampered1224 said:
I type up a letter with a lot of info on it. When I think they have the packet, if I mailed it, I call and go over it with them. I covered my butt and the rest is then up to them. As long as you mention it, show them where the info is, it is then on them to make it a party and not you! If this business costs you more money than you are making, then you should not be doing this.

This is a great letter, John. If I modify this a bit, this should save me headaches later. I appreciate everyone's help on this. I wanted her to get the host special, but I guess that I have to really look into how much I am investing so I actually MAKE money. Thanks everyone!

LeanneB. said:
This is a great letter, John. If I modify this a bit, this should save me headaches later. I appreciate everyone's help on this. I wanted her to get the host special, but I guess that I have to really look into how much I am investing so I actually MAKE money. Thanks everyone!

Leanne,

You are SO new -- you're bound to live and learn in your business (just like all aspects of life). :) Log on and ask questions. . .some mistakes you can learn vicariously. ;)

LeanneB. said:
I am still in my 30 days and this situation has taught me a few valuable lessons. I had a host, who is my daughter's teacher at daycare, that really wanted a mini loaf stoneware pan. I talked her into doing a show over Thanksgiving. Well, she ended up with a total of $108 in sales. She put all orders except her own on the same order form so that each person would not have to pay the $4.25 s&h and paid with one check.

Well... I didn't realize that you HAD to have $150 for a show so when I tried to enter into PP+, it would not submit. I ended up ordering product for myself in the end to make up for the lack of sales. It cost my around $75!!!!

Was there any other way that I could have done this? In trying to get her the item for 60% off, I really look a hit on this one. I guess that it will help to have the product to show... but...???? :eek:

I think this only happened because you didn't KNOW that you had to have $150 to qualify as a show. Now that you know, in the future you can just tell them "you still need XXXX amount for your show to qualify so you can get that special item at 60% off". I can see why you felt responsable. Because you didn't know, you had already closed the show and were just trying to submit it and that is when you realized. I think I would have done the same thing in your situation because I had already closed the show with the host. We all live and learn.

Oh, and as for putting everything on one order, the problem is that now no one has their own personal receipt if there is a warranty issue. I really try to get people not to do that for that reason.

Related to Did I Make a Costly Mistake with My Disappointing Book Show?

1. Why is the book show disappointing?

The book show may be disappointing for a variety of reasons. Some common reasons include the lack of engaging or relatable characters, a predictable plot, or poor writing style. It could also be disappointing if it did not live up to the hype or expectations set by the book's marketing or reviews.

2. Can you provide examples of a disappointing book show?

Examples of a disappointing book show can vary depending on personal taste, but some commonly mentioned ones include the "Twilight" series by Stephanie Meyer, "Fifty Shades of Grey" by E.L. James, or "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown.

3. Is the disappointment in the book show subjective or objective?

The disappointment in a book show can be subjective to an individual's personal preferences and opinions. However, there may also be objective factors that contribute to the overall disappointment, such as poor writing or plot development.

4. How can I avoid being disappointed by a book show?

One way to avoid disappointment with a book show is to research and read reviews before deciding to invest time and money into it. You can also try reading a sample or excerpt of the book to get a sense of the writing style and plot. Additionally, considering your own preferences and avoiding genres or themes that you typically do not enjoy can also help prevent disappointment.

5. What can I do if I am disappointed by a book show?

If you are disappointed by a book show, you can try to find reviews or discussions from others who may have felt similarly. This can help you gain a different perspective or insight into the book. You can also reach out to the author or publisher to share your feedback. Lastly, remember that not every book will resonate with every reader, and it's okay to move on to a different book that may be a better fit for you.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• TJMagoo
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • kam
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • babywings76