• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Did Estelle Getty's character die on Golden Girls?

In summary, Estelle Getty, the actress best known for playing Sophia on Golden Girls, has passed away. She was a beloved comedic talent and will be greatly missed by fans of the show. Many remember watching reruns of the show and laughing at her hilarious performance. She was younger than her co-stars and made herself look older for the role. Getty had been battling Alzheimer's for a long time, and while her passing is sad, it is also seen as a relief from her suffering. She will always be remembered for her quick wit and humor on Golden Girls and in other roles such as in the movie Mannequin.
pampchefrhondab
Oh, I'm so sad - Estelle Getty who played Sophia on Golden Girls passed away.

I was just watching old re-runs of that show the other day. She was so funny in it!

Okay, I'm probably showing my age again - not sure how many of you remember when Golden Girls were on.

yes, i saw it on the news....she was hilarious on the golden girls.

I saw that a few hours ago too...she was always so funny!

Oh, how sad!I was just watching reruns of that the other day and thinking how old the girls must be now ... And I think she was younger or the same age as the others.

That is too bad. When my son was young he loved watching that show and we both enjoyed all the reruns.

Aww! Love Golden Girl reruns on Lifetime! That show is a classic!

It can't be an age thing. I'm only 31 and LOVE Golden Girls. I watched them with my mom when I was younger and now I watch them with my girls. My oldest calls them "Go Girls." I cried today when I heard.

pampchefrhondab said:
Oh, I'm so sad - Estelle Getty who played Sophia on Golden Girls passed away.

I was just watching old re-runs of that show the other day. She was so funny in it!

Okay, I'm probably showing my age again - not sure how many of you remember when Golden Girls were on.

This is how gay I am...I actually shed a few tears when I found out. :(

I watch Golden Girls every single day.

How sad. I just LOVE her! She is younger than "Dorothy"

leftymac said:
This is how gay I am...I actually shed a few tears when I found out. :(

I watch Golden Girls every single day.

Oh I just adore you!!

I too loved watching the golden girls. She had been ill for some time. So sad:(

Very sad. :( Yes, I think she was younger than all of them, no wonder she was so spunky!

pcjenn said:
It can't be an age thing. I'm only 31 and LOVE Golden Girls. I watched them with my mom when I was younger and now I watch them with my girls. My oldest calls them "Go Girls." I cried today when I heard.

Nope, not an age thing. I'm 27 and it's one of my favorites!! :)

I love the golden girls it is very sad that she passed away today I also thought it was neat she was younger then the rest and made her to look older. I watch them every day on life time. I can't get enough sometimes of the jokes and such.

christinaspc said:
I love the golden girls it is very sad that she passed away today I also thought it was neat she was younger then the rest and made her to look older. I watch them every day on life time. I can't get enough sometimes of the jokes and such.

I think I remember hearing a long time ago that when she went in for the audition she made herself look older, and that is how she got the part. This is so sad! :(

I think we should all look at her passing as a release & relief. She had battled advanced Alzheimer's for many, many years (over a decade, I believe). She blessed so many of us with her gift of comedy & now she isn't suffering any more.
I don't mean to seem insensitive. But anyone who has lost a loved one to Alzheimer's knows that her illness was terrible one.

I love the Golden Girls and still watch reruns. I saw this on Yahoo yesterday. It is sad for the family but a blessing for her if she is in Heaven.

christy_c said:
Nope, not an age thing. I'm 27 and it's one of my favorites!! :)

I'm 35 and still remember watching this show everyday with Mom! Sophia was a hoot! So sad....:(

I am 35 too...and LOVED that show when it was on. Even now, I love seeing the reruns...

Sad that she has passed, but hopefully her suffering is over and she is dancing and smiling in heaven!!

What a loss she will be missed...............

Let's not forget how great she was in the movie Mannequin as well! I love that movie!! Now I've got "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" in my head.

I'm sorry to hear that but having lost a father who had Alzheimer's for 3-1/2 years over 29 years ago, I know it is nothing but good for her in Heaven. Alzheimer's is so awful and there has really not been a lot of progress in all these years. She was always so spunky and could deliver those "zings" with such a straight face!

What happened to Sophia on "Golden Girls"?

Unfortunately, Sophia passed away in the series finale of "Golden Girls." She died peacefully in her sleep after suffering a stroke.

Did the actress who played Sophia really die?

No, Estelle Getty, the actress who played Sophia, did not die during the show. She passed away in 2008, almost 15 years after the show ended.

How did the other characters react to Sophia's death?

The other characters were devastated by Sophia's death. They held a small memorial service for her and reminisced about their favorite memories with her.

Did "Golden Girls" continue without Sophia?

No, the show ended with Sophia's death. However, there was a spin-off show called "Golden Palace" that featured the other three characters running a hotel, but it only lasted one season.

Is Estelle Getty's death the reason why there are no reunions or revivals of "Golden Girls"?

No, Estelle Getty's death is not the reason for the lack of reunions or revivals. The show's creator, Susan Harris, has stated that she doesn't want to do a reunion or revival because it wouldn't be the same without all four original actresses.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
Replies
Views
Chef Michelle D
  • pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies