• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delightful Graduation Cake for the Large Bar Pan

I have done the jelly-roll omelet in one of the cookbooks but never a cake in the bar pan.I have done regular cakes in the bar pan for my trifles but I have not tried the angel food cake.Hopefully, someone will see this thread and answer my question for us.
quiverfull7
Gold Member
Here's a cute cake to give us another sales us for the Large Bar Pan...

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/spec...f0600gradcake/

Very cute!

Jellyroll question: how does the cake not fall to pieces with the rolling? Can you use a normal cake mix for it?

jrstephens said:
Very cute!

Jellyroll question: how does the cake not fall to pieces with the rolling? Can you use a normal cake mix for it?

Good question! I'm pretty sure that I've seen someone post that they made a "jelly roll" out of an angel food cake mix in the large bar pan...

I would love to learn how to roll it up! Speaking of an angel food cake in the bar pan....maybe I will try that this week for my trifle - that would be easier to chunk up than from the fluted stone or rect baker!

jenniferknapp said:
Good question! I'm pretty sure that I've seen someone post that they made a "jelly roll" out of an angel food cake mix in the large bar pan...

I would love to learn how to roll it up! Speaking of an angel food cake in the bar pan....maybe I will try that this week for my trifle - that would be easier to chunk up than from the fluted stone or rect baker!

I have done regular cakes in the bar pan for my trifles but I have not tried the angel food cake.

Hopefully, someone will see this thread and answer my question for us.

I found this article on the subjectI usually make a special cake mix from scratch to accomodate different flavors, but it is recommended to use angel food cake or sponge type cakes. You can use cake box mixes, just follow the instructions on this website. They say to make them thinner and don't worry about a few cracks. Just cover with frosting or a yummy glaze.
Hope this helps.
http://www.nestle.com/Interest_Areas/Cooking/Ask_Expert/All_Ask_Expert/Baking/Jelly+Roll.htm

Debbie :D

I'm not seeing the cake. It says page isn't there.

Another linkTry this link to the cake.
http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/display?id=50141

I'm seeing the same as you, Beth...

Thanks, Debbie. How cute is that?

I make a chocolate jelly roll cake for my dad for his birthday often and it's really easy to roll. The trick is to flour (or use powdered sugar) a cheesecloth or smooth dish towel, turn out the cake onto the towel and roll it up with the towel immediately. Let it cool (but not all the way) in the towel rolled up, then unroll, remove towel, reroll and cool all the way.

rebeccastt said:
I make a chocolate jelly roll cake for my dad for his birthday often and it's really easy to roll. The trick is to flour (or use powdered sugar) a cheesecloth or smooth dish towel, turn out the cake onto the towel and roll it up with the towel immediately. Let it cool (but not all the way) in the towel rolled up, then unroll, remove towel, reroll and cool all the way.

And do you frost it before you roll it up and let it cool all the way....or unroll it after it is completely cooled, frost, then re-roll?

Cool first
jenniferknapp said:
And do you frost it before you roll it up and let it cool all the way....or unroll it after it is completely cooled, frost, then re-roll?

Cool it first, unroll, then frost, then re-roll. They are great and simple!! And there are so many flavors and combinations you can try.

Awesome - thanks Jennifer for asking the questions, and everyone else for answering!!

Thanks for the new link! I love this! I will make if for my son's graduation but I think I'll put a grad hat (mortarboard??) on it instead of the ribbon. I have one from the cake of his brother's grad.

If it turns out I'll take a pic.

PC had a lot of jelly roll type cakes when they originally came out with the bar pan. When you roll the cake, they told us to put parchment paper on the cake and roll it. It worked great, it also helped sell alot of parchment paper. :)

pamperedpals said:
PC had a lot of jelly roll type cakes when they originally came out with the bar pan. When you roll the cake, they told us to put parchment paper on the cake and roll it. It worked great, it also helped sell alot of parchment paper. :)

What a brilliant idea!! Thanks :)

jenniferknapp said:
Awesome - thanks Jennifer for asking the questions, and everyone else for answering!!

I am glad we are getting answers!! I always assumed jelly-rolls were hard!!!

I have done the jelly-roll omelet in one of the cookbooks but never a cake.

DebbieSAChef said:
I usually make a special cake mix from scratch to accomodate different flavors, but it is recommended to use angel food cake or sponge type cakes. You can use cake box mixes, just follow the instructions on this website. They say to make them thinner and don't worry about a few cracks. Just cover with frosting or a yummy glaze.
Hope this helps.
http://www.nestle.com/Interest_Areas/Cooking/Ask_Expert/All_Ask_Expert/Baking/Jelly+Roll.htm

Thanks, Debbie for this information!!

jrstephens said:
I am glad we are getting answers!! I always assumed jelly-rolls were hard!!!

I have done the jelly-roll omelet in one of the cookbooks but never a cake.

I LOVE doing jelly rolls! Especially since they are SO easy and you can fill and top them with so many different things.

My tip: I like to use granulated sugar instead of flour on the towel when I roll the cake to cool it... That way when some of it does stick to the cake, you are tasting extra sugar (yum) not flour... Right now my "tiles" kitchen towel from the fall is my jelly-roll towel... good size, easy to clean and doesn't stick to the cake or leave fuzzies...

Dang... another thread to remind us of Ho-Hos... All I could think of is how good a chocolate one with cream filling would be and then I realized that I was thinking about a Ho-Ho... Maybe I'll have to make that Ho-Ho trifle this week...

this wil be perfect for best friends dd graduation. thanks for sharing

by the way i love this site...im new and this really helps

Hey all...I'm sorry that I posted this cake and then had to leave for a show and wasn't here for the questions. Great link to the cake roll info! My mother started me out making Jelly Rolls for my dad when I was quite young. I do love the parchment instead of the towel .. . but with 8 people in the house I love to limit laundry in any form I can!! The biggest issue with a jelly roll cake of any kind is NOT to overbake it. I'll try and post a good all around cake later this morning but I've got to get a shower before the day care kids arrive. Another tip for making a jelly roll cake pretty is to make sure and trim the ends. An electric knife works awesome for cutting them cleanly... I think our 8.50 bread knife would work great too but I don't own it yet!!!

Hey all...I'm sorry that I posted this cake and then had to leave for a show and wasn't here for the questions. Great link to the cake roll info! My mother started me out making Jelly Rolls for my dad when I was quite young. I do love the parchment instead of the towel .. . but with 8 people in the house I love to limit laundry in any form I can!! The biggest issue with a jelly roll cake of any kind is NOT to overbake it. I'll try and post a good all around cake later this morning but I've got to get a shower before the day care kids arrive. Another tip for making a jelly roll cake pretty is to make sure and trim the ends. An electric knife works awesome for cutting them cleanly... I think our 8.50 bread knife would work great too but I don't own it yet!!!

goodgrief first I post and disappear ... then I double post ... sigh ... PLEASE tell me it's really Friday???? :)

I'm bumping this up since I posted and then disappeared! And then I posted WAY too early this morning... why in the world I woke at 5am and was WIDE awake is beyond me! I guess I needed time to catch up on CS!

1. How many servings does the Delightful Graduation Cake for the Large Bar Pan serve?

The Delightful Graduation Cake for the Large Bar Pan serves about 20-24 people, depending on the size of the slices.

2. Can I use any cake mix with the Large Bar Pan or does it need to be a specific type?

You can use any cake mix with the Large Bar Pan. Just be sure to follow the instructions on the cake mix box for the appropriate baking time and temperature.

3. What type of icing works best with the Delightful Graduation Cake for the Large Bar Pan?

Any type of icing can be used with the Delightful Graduation Cake for the Large Bar Pan. It is recommended to use a thicker icing, like buttercream or cream cheese, for easier decorating.

4. Can I add decorations to the Delightful Graduation Cake for the Large Bar Pan?

Yes, you can add decorations to the Delightful Graduation Cake for the Large Bar Pan. It is recommended to wait until the cake has cooled and been removed from the pan before decorating.

5. Can the Delightful Graduation Cake for the Large Bar Pan be used for other occasions besides graduation?

Yes, the Delightful Graduation Cake for the Large Bar Pan can be used for any occasion. Simply change the colors and decorations to fit the theme of your event.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
DebPC
Replies
Views
candiejayne
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies