• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Rude Guests at a Party? Read My Vent and Tips Here!

In summary, this woman had a party and many people showed up late and didn't want to participate. There was one woman who talked the entire time and the hostess didn't set the timer and the pizza burnt. The sales were good but the host felt like she lost control.
merego
Hi, I just needed to vent...
Had a party last night, about 15 people,over 1/2 showed up 30-45 minutes late,they all talked during my demo, no one wanted to participate. When I was trying to promote the deep covered baker one woman went on and on about how she hates hers and never uses it. When I started talking about the PC opportunity another woman chimed in about how she used to be a PC consultant and how hard, expensive and time consuming it was, she rambled on and on and scared any prospects off. The hostess didn't set the timer and burnt the pizza we were making. The 1/2 of them got up and walked into the other room to watch American Idol WHILE I WAS TALKING. ( Hello, anyone heard of TIVO, DVR or recording it???) People brought there kids and they were running all over, knocking my stuff over, grabbing my products and the parents were saying nothing. The sales were good ( it is at $550.00 with a few more outside sales to come) but I felt like I lost all control of my party and that I should just quit b/c I stink as a PC person. Maybe I am just feeling sorry for myself. This was my 3rd cooking show, all my other parties have been catalog shows. Any suggestions on how to keep control without being rude? I know what I would have liked to have said, but I held back. Thanks for letting me vent :grumpy:

We all have shows like this. I can't seem to get bookings (or at least not as many as I would like!) and I thought to myself am I not a good PC Consultant? I know I do an ok job, but it is sometimes frustrating! Keep your head up it will get better. :chef:

It happens to all of us! It's not you, it's them. That was very rude!

a month ago that happened to me. I even came on here and vented. I didn't have any attention at the party and have no bookings out of it as well. I am still surviving.:) Sometimes it is better off not to get the bookings. Because if they were like that at this show, how would they be at their own? Keep the door proze slips (if you got any), and I would still send them updates in the future. You never know if you could get more business from them later.
Sorry it happened that way, good luck with future shows.

Just think, you've gotten one of those "bad" shows out of the way early!! But your sales were great, so you were definitely doing something right!!! :D We all have those and as time goes on, you'll figure out ways to deal with it (in a way you feel comfortable). People handle it different ways. I've heard some who start looking around on the floor, under the table, behind people who are sitting there and finally someone will ask (hopefully!) "What are you looking for?" You can say "Oh, I'm looking for your attention because I must've lost it somewhere." OF course you have to say this in a joking manner. I've been afraid to say it quite so bluntly because I"d be afraid it would come out snotty. It also depends on the crowd and what they're like.

Don't worry.....we all deal with this!! Don't let it get you down. Rude guests will happen, but as long as you have fun at the majority if your shows, then it's worth it!! Good luck to you!:D

Hello Meredith~
Congratulations! You have been officially initiated as a PC Consultant! :chef:
I don't mean to down play your experience. I am so sorry that they were so rude. I have had shows like this and it is so annoying and can say the ones with the worst vibe have been with friends...go figure. :eek: But also I must say that before I was a consultant I begrudgingly went to my friend's show where my director filled in on the day before. I didn't want to go to yet another PC show in a short amount of time from our other friends show, didn't have much extra money to spend and we were the worst guests...most arrived late, we chatted during the demo, 7 loud kids, 5 barking dogs and the timer didn't go off and the muffins burnt. The host did get her husband to cook breakfast for all of us, though. :) But, I have to tell you that as a guest I had a fun time and admired how the consultant handled it and was so natural and down to earth. So much so that when she made her ccc to me a few months later I started to think that this was a company that I could really enjoy being a part of! I ended up calling her out of the blue and signed up without the interview or meeting...You never know who might be watching you out in the crowd of rude guests....:balloon:

On another note, be proud of yourself for pulling through this difficult show and take what you can learn from it. It only makes you stronger.:) And it can only get better!

Oh...don't feel bad! We all have shows like that! Those with little experience...and my director with THIRTEEN YEARS experience!

I heard something at the beginning of my PC career that has stuck: "Never make a decision about your business based on ONE incident." That can go both in the positive or in the negative direction! When I started, I made a promise to DH that I would do this 100% for a minimum of one year...knowing that there would be tough times in that first year, but that I would tough it out and get past the learning curve! I am soooooooooo glad he pushed me to make that promise!

Keep on going! We all have those crazy parties!

There is a great talk by Carol Radu on one of the CDs. It's the one with the speeches of all of the NEDs when they promoted. Let's say she can relate. :)This show is over so just focus on the next one!

wadesgirl said:
It happens to all of us! It's not you, it's them. That was very rude!

That's a perfect way to sum it up...."It's not you, it's them"! We'd all be better off if we could remember that :) but too often we blame ourselves for things we have no control over. Sometimes you can do everything just right, do and say exactly what we are trained to do, and the show still goes berserk!

After shows like that, I always just try to pick one or two things that I did or said right and focus on that.

Luckily, those rude shows are few and far between. Keep your head up....and your apron on!:chef:

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! I am a tad bit sensitive ( my DH would say overly sensitive) so I need to not take this so personally. I just was always taught to not talk when others are talking and to pay attention so I always do. Is it wrong to to expect that of others?? :) ha ha. You have all made me feel better, I really appreciate your kind words!!

Wow, the third must be the break in show! That happened to me on the my 3rd show too! And, I came on here and vented about it as well. It made me feel better to know that it was not just me that this happened to. I don't think there is anything you could have done differently. I think you handled it pretty well, and a $550 show was worth it! I think we will all have our good and bad shows. Just don't let the bad ones get you down!

Thankfully shows like that are FEW and very FAR between!

We have ALL been there. One of the worst that sticks in my mind involved the guest making vomit sounds during my demo. I wish I was kidding! Then they dared each other to taste what I had made. Did I mention that I also had to do the demo on the coffee table? Good times...

Wow, I am sure that I will face a similar situation in the future. Luckily I haven't had to yet, but I'm sure when I do I will be venting on here. :D I think that you handled it beautifully though and don't let it get you down. There's no where to go but up :thumbup:

ShanaSmith said:
We have ALL been there. One of the worst that sticks in my mind involved the guest making vomit sounds during my demo. I wish I was kidding! Then they dared each other to taste what I had made. Did I mention that I also had to do the demo on the coffee table? Good times...
oh no they did not...... how horrible to make vomit sounds and then to have to do a demo on a coffee table. What is wrong with people?? :eek:

Sometimes no bookings is a good thing!! I had one of those shows where one of the guests talked to everyone she coudld through all of my demo and people came in late and wanted me to go over stuff we had already done... HELLO?!? You were late!! Anywhooo. I got 3 bookings - 2 with the same circle and they were the same way - the next show with this group I never had more than 2 peoples attention through my entire demo - I just kept going - sales were good but we could have done without the demo because I sure didn't influence them!! Take a deep breath and be thankful for the sales. The next show will be better - not everone is that rude!

merego said:
oh no they did not...... how horrible to make vomit sounds and then to have to do a demo on a coffee table. What is wrong with people?? :eek:
That sounds more like something you would expect from 10 year old boys. If that happened to me, I might decide that my schedule is full, and I don't have room for bookings from that show. I really don't mind inattentiveness - but that is degrading - and I wouldn't put up with it. But about the coffee table - I have done demo's on coffee tables many times. I actually tell people that if that is the only space they have - I can do it there! In fact, I did one like that this past Saturday. The host lived in a small Apt. and there was a tiny galley kitchen, with an attached dining area, big enough for a tiny table with 2 chairs. The coffee table in the living room was bigger - and so was the seating area. We had an interactive show - I passed around the salad spinner, the chopper w/ the lid, the utility knife w/ a cutting board, and a SS bowl w/ salad choppers - and everyone sat around the coffee table and we made a great Seven Layer Southwestern Salad!

ShanaSmith said:
That is just bad...very bad!:mad: Like Becky suggest...were they 10?

That's exactly what I was thinking at the time. Luckily I didn't get any bookings out of it, but the host did sign. Of course she was a kitnapper. She emails me every few months telling me that she is ready and really wants to get started. The last message was at the begining of April, her one year of inactivity ended in March.

Add my voice to the chorus of, "I'm so sorry! It happens to us all. It's not you; it's them."Please don't let one batch of rude people chase you away from doing something you enjoy. Rude people often travel in packs. The fact that a pack of them attended one of your shows doesn't make you a bad consultant. As a matter of fact, the fact that you maintained your composure and finished the show with sales higher than the company average is proof that you don't "stink as a PC person."Chin up! You'll laugh at this one day.

Pheeeeew!!! I did a double-take.... I read NUDE instead of RUDE!!!

Ha, Nude PC parties, that would attract some interesting folks now wouldn't it :) ha ha

merego said:
Ha, Nude PC parties, that would attract some interesting folks now wouldn't it :) ha ha
I thought maybe her host was a nudist and forgot to mention it. LOL Maybe that would have been better than rude guests.

I'd take nude over rude any day of the week. Nudeness I can handle, rudeness I can't!!

'Rude people often travel in packs. '
Oh, Rae! I never thought about that...but it's so true! And kind of funny when you think about it...all those people in a herd.....:D

ok, so the saga continues..........
my host wanted to close out her party last night because she and some other guests are in a hurry to get their items. She said she had some outside orders and 1 booking, maybe 2. Have not heard from her and no return phone call. I watched her walk right by my house last night while she was out walking ( my kids playroom is in the front room so I can see everything that goes on out front) and she told me earlier that day she was going to stop while she was out on her walk. 2 other neighbors said they were going to order online by last night and they didn't and 2 other people put in orders but have not paid and I have called and e-mailed giving them a total and asking them to call me back with a cc# or to drop off a check or cash to me...NOTHING.. I am not covering these people, I am not a BANK!!!!! I want to get this order in because I am so close to 1/2 price conference. argh.... I am so frustrated!! thanks for letting me vent, again :)

Wow - you had 550 and counting, in sales at a rude person's house! Imagine what your sales will be at a kind person's home with friends who care!

In the overal scheme of things, you gave a person who didn't work their PC business a chance to get the support of her friends... at the same time she also placed an order, right?

All the past consultants I have come in contact with, have ordered from me. :) Occasionally I look them in the eye and ask when was the last time they made $1250 in commissionable sales to get their pay raise? That always ends the conversation. When other people hear they were not working their business, they discount them as a detractor.

I absolutely would tease the host and say next time, you'll do an American Idol show theme! (If she doesn't get it, tell her you were surprised when a group of the guests left the room to go watch TV). How she justifies it will also tell you what she values in her relationship with those friends.

Anyway, chalk it up to a bad apple in the bunch - and go on making PC what YOU want it to be. If any of them book, tease them as a host saying when (today's host) Teresa was a guest she had a terrific time at Sally's home, but don't get between her and the TV if American Idol is on!

Maybe not - it's not good to have humor at someone else's expense, but self-depricating humor is a plus. Bless and release.

I've got to chime in...I had a show in the first few months that in the middle, while I was talking, the host rounded everyone up and took them out back for a smoke! Interactive shows have really helped me- I read the recipe, and have everyone else do the recipe- how could they NOT pay attention that way?

I did try to get them involved and they just ignored me and kept having their own conversation. I do like the theme show TV idea.
I am closing the party with $680 in sales so overall it was a good party for sales and I can grow from the experience and it was an experience :)

I have to chime in...a few months into my business, I had a party where, while I was talking, the host rounded everyone up and took them all out back for a smoke! I was dumbfounded....just kept preparing the recipe. The interactive shows help me a lot- I read the recipe, while they prepare it using the tools. How can they NOT pay attention that way?

Sorry about that- I didn't mean to post that twice!!

I had a "3rd show" experience as well. My friend wanted to cancel the night before because no one was coming. I begged he to get her mother to come. She eventually had three guests. Her mother complained about four different procucts and at the start of the show, asked if we could watch Oprah! It ended up being the show that qualified me, the host ended up with a full set of Forged Cutlery, her mother placed a $30 order and there was one booking. On the opposite end of noisy guests, I had another show about a year ago where about 20 people came and wouldn't participate at all-no helping or sharing what they liked about products. They moaned when I talked about recruitment and hosting. I later learned that about a third of them only spoke Greek, which didn't explain the other 2/3. The show ended up being over $1000, but at the end of the night, the host told me I spoke too much and that I did at the previous show. I was really upset because I had to fill in all the blanks because everyone else was silent! I called my director who told me to forget about it because I did so well show total wise. I ended up with a booking that lead to several good shows. Someone else picked a date, took a host packet, cancelled and I never heard from her again. Luckily I have never had to deal with the original host again, even though I tried to contact her a few times with our special.

I taught for several years and always had "one" in the class that was disruptive. It's the same for shows. There is always going to be one that doesn't work out so well. Just keep going because a good one will come around the corner.
Jessica

Another Greek Chorus member chiming in:

It is THEM not you! Rude!!

btw, this might help:

I keep a PC timer on the demo table to keep track of time, and NEVER trust a guest's oven. Always cook for the minimal time, then check :)

I'm sorry you had to go through this, especially so early in your business (I know that it had to be disheartening!), but maybe it's just a way for you to appreciate even more when you have great hosts and great guests. Use it as a comparison for other shows, and that way when you close up by saying, "Thank you for having me into your home and allowing me to share these products with you...you were a wonderful group to work with and I appreciate you very much!" you are telling them the 100% absolute truth. :)

CookingwithMary said:
Another Greek Chorus member chiming in:

It is THEM not you! Rude!!

btw, this might help:

I keep a PC timer on the demo table to keep track of time, and NEVER trust a guest's oven. Always cook for the minimal time, then check :)

I did make a joke that maybe she order a timer when she places her order , but everyone was talking so loud over me, I don't think they were listening.
She did buy a timer when she closed her show today, so I am pretty sure she heard me :)

1. How do I deal with guests who arrive late to the party?

It can be frustrating when guests show up late to a party, but the best approach is to remain welcoming and polite. Greet them with a smile and continue with your demo as planned. If they have missed part of the presentation, you can offer to catch them up quickly or provide them with materials to review later.

2. How do I handle guests who talk during my demo?

If guests are talking during your demo, try to politely redirect their attention back to the presentation. You can say something like, "Thank you for your input, but I would like to finish my demo before we have a discussion." If they continue to talk, you can politely remind them that everyone is there to learn about the products.

3. How should I respond to negative comments about Pampered Chef products?

It's important to address negative comments in a professional and positive manner. You can acknowledge the guest's experience and offer to help them find a different product that may better suit their needs. You can also share your own positive experiences with the product to counter their negative feedback.

4. What should I do if a former consultant is discouraging potential recruits?

If a guest is speaking negatively about their experience as a consultant, you can respond by sharing your own positive experiences and success with the company. You can also address their concerns and offer to connect them with current consultants who can provide a different perspective.

5. How can I maintain control of the party without being rude?

It can be challenging to maintain control of a party while also being polite, but it's important to set boundaries and communicate them clearly to your guests. You can politely remind guests to keep their children from touching or playing with your products, or to refrain from talking during the presentation. Remember to stay calm and professional, and don't be afraid to ask for help from the hostess if needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JennyJennJen
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ChefDaynaDos
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pampcheflynda
  • schel