• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant Dealing with a Picky Eater: My Struggle as a Home Cook | Easy Recipes

In summary, my husband gets so tired of me trying new recipes, and he gets angry at me. He is usually the one who tries the new recipes, so he is usually the one who likes them the least. He also gets irritated when I make food for dinner and he has to eat it, even though he usually doesn't like what I make.
esavvymom
Staff member
I get so tired of when I go to try a new recipe, my DH snarls his nose at it. I swear, sometimes he's worse than the kids!!

I was going to try the Power Cooking Beef today, and make the Stroganoff for dinner, and prepare the Tacos and Beef Sandwiches for later. He suggested something for dinner and I said I was going to make Stroganoff. He snarls and says "Enjoy". Of course, it's too many carbs for him! *uggh* :yuck: He's all talk about 'health' when it's something someone else makes....but HE is the one who always buys donuts BY THE DOZEN (and then doesn't eat a single one).

I realize, not all recipes are great, and may need some tweaking, but I've got to try them now rather than try them on a party and find out that (a) they taste bad, (b) are tricky, or (c) I need to perfect techniques.

I'm STILL making the food tonight. He can make whatever he wants. This is what happens though when he works from home. If he's at work like normal, I can prepare food without him butting in. :) I can't wait till he goes back to work! We were on vacation first two weeks of december, and he only had to work the 3rd week in December. he's been home otherwise! Too much of a good thing isn't always a good thing ;)

Ok....I'm done. :balloon:

esavvymom said:
I can't wait till he goes back to work! We were on vacation first two weeks of december, and he only had to work the 3rd week in December. he's been home otherwise! Too much of a good thing isn't always a good thing ;)
:

I know what you mean, I LOVE, LOVE, my DH but when he is home too much he gets in the way. Even my DS (he is 9) has been on school vacation and he is driving me crazy, he is playing with his new toys but wants to know what I am doing what's for dinner, when are we going out. Life needs to get back to normal where DH is at work and DS in in school and they don't know what is going on and just live with what I say and do. After all, us wifes/moms run things and they just need to follow the rules...right.;)

Amen Michelle!

DH would never snarl and say something snide about my cooking. He knows that if he did, he'd be cut off from his food source. Since he couldn't live on bacon roll-ups and pecan pie for very long, I'm pretty sure he'd never be insulting of my cooking!:rolleyes::D:chef:

His code phrase for "I didn't like that" is "You don't have to make that again just for me.":p

I am soooo lucky that husband will eat almost anything that I cook. He does not cook (even though he is Italian and I swear, there is a sauce recipe in there somewhere!!), even says he doesn't "know" how to make oj (the frozen kind, see what I am dealing with!) and is just happy that someone else does this and not him. He might not exactly love something (example: my verizon of meatloaf which really doesn't have any "meat" in it) but he eats it.

That being said, I know there are things that he likes more than others, but he is great about trying out new recipes. His only comment might be, "are you going to make this again?" if he doesn't like it.

If I were you, I would go ahead with your plan, and let him fend for himself. As for the carbs, try whole wheat noodles, or even something like sqaghetti squash.

I am currently whizzing through my Power Cooking Beef right now- almost done- had to look up a substitute for Red Wine Vinegar....so of course had to pop in for a quick peek on the boards. :D

And he will either eat what's for dinner tonight , like we make the kids at least try, or he can fix his own. The problem is, in my house, my DH CAN cook...and does quite often. But I needed to practice these techniques and recipes if I am going to do them for others.

What fries me though is usually when he complains about dinner menus, he hasn't even TRIED the recipe(s) yet! When our kids do this, we send them away from the table without dinner- if they won't at least try the meal. I'm not a restaurant- whether you re 3' tall or 6'.

He's out in the garage working out. I just wish if he was such a health nut as he claims, he'd READ about how carbs are GOOD for the body - especially in moderation. 1-cup of noodles is slightly less than a standard serving size- if you ever measure them, that's ALOT! But he'll whine anyway. I don't care. If he wants the extra work- that's fine, but HE'S cleaning it up.

:D

and I think I do have whole wheat noodles. He'd really flip if I gave him spaghetti squash. See...he's all talk sometimes!

HA! he ended up eating two full plates of it.

Glad it had a happy ending!
I'm kinda waiting for my DH to go back to work too. Only thing when DS goes back to school, so do I!! No time for just MOM! LOL!

alright!!! sorry you had to go thru so much sarkiness ;-)

My DH is very picky, but if he doesn't like what I make, he'll eat PB&J! However since he works 7pm to 5am it's not an issue unless he's off! He eats when he comes home at 5am and it's usually PB&J anyway!! LOL That's become his main food source these days!

ChefBeckyD said:
DH would never snarl and say something snide about my cooking. He knows that if he did, he'd be cut off from his food source. Since he couldn't live on bacon roll-ups and pecan pie for very long, I'm pretty sure he'd never be insulting of my cooking!:rolleyes::D:chef:His code phrase for "I didn't like that" is "You don't have to make that again just for me.":p
My husband learned when we were dating not to make comments about my cooking. I made homemade lasagna for him. He told me that Peggy's (his best friends wife) was better! We've been married 21 years & I haven't made homemade lasagna since!! LOL!! To add insult to injury, a couple of months after we got married we went to John & Peggy's for lasagna. It was so GROSS!! The sauce tasted slightly burnt. It had onions, green peppers, mushrooms & olives in it!!! :thumbdown::yuck: It was so disgusting I could barely choke it down, even after picking out all those things!!

Stampaholic1961 said:
My husband learned when we were dating not to make comments about my cooking. I made homemade lasagna for him. He told me that Peggy's (his best friends wife) was better! We've been married 21 years & I haven't made homemade lasagna since!! LOL!! To add insult to injury, a couple of months after we got married we went to John & Peggy's for lasagna. It was so GROSS!! The sauce tasted slightly burnt. It had onions, green peppers, mushrooms & olives in it!!! :thumbdown::yuck: It was so disgusting I could barely choke it down, even after picking out all those things!!

you should have told her how much your DH loved it and asked her for the recipe.....LOL!

My husband would NEVER say something nasty or turn his nose up at my cooking. We have been together long enough, he knows better. Plus my DH would consider that to be disrespectful.

My DH has never said anything negative about my cooking to me (on one or two occasions he's fixed himself a sandwich a couple hours after dinner, but did not complain). Usually if someone is going to complain about my cooking, it will be me.Generally, I do a good job, but every so often something will go wrong.

Ha...my hubby just begs me to cook...lol We own a restaurant and I haven't really cooked...other than a show...in over a year. I have made a few things for church functions and made desserts, but mostly we eat the restaurant...or DH's catering...food. I love to cook, but I just don't have the time with the restaurant...so I tell him we have 10 cooks at our disposal, we can eat what they have fixed or go to McDonalds. As busy as we are, nobody claims about not getting anything to eat...there is always plenty to choose from...lol

However, DH would never complain about my cooking. I am a good cook and if he doesn't like what I have fixed then he will make a sandwich or bowl of cereal. I was always taught that you eat what mom fixed or did without...and so was he. Many times I have fixed a complete meal for them and added a veggie that only I would eat, so they know better than to complain.

My roomate whines when I try to make anything in the microwave ... I got minimal whining from the chicken tortilla casarole, but I have yet to try a 30 minute chicken ... My microwave is only 800 watts so I'm hesitant to try it anyway.

My DH is SO picky too!

BUT, over the years with me he has definitely evolved!

Many of the PC recipes he would never try - but I just make them and tell him he doesn't have to eat it - but he has to atleast TRY it.

If I had read the Asian Pork Noodle skillet recipe to him he would have nixed it. But I made it one night and it is now one of his favorites. Same thing for the Beef Power Cooking.

So, when trying something new, if he turns his nose up to it - I remind him of the recipes he loves - but would have never tried unless I made him. He will usually give in. (But he will also remind me of the things he has tried and hated! :) )

What is "Hard to Be a Chef"?

"Hard to Be a Chef" is a popular cookbook filled with delicious and easy recipes for busy individuals who want to cook like a professional chef.

Who is the author of "Hard to Be a Chef"?

The author of "Hard to Be a Chef" is renowned chef and cookbook author, Julia Child.

What types of recipes are included in "Hard to Be a Chef"?

"Hard to Be a Chef" includes a variety of recipes ranging from appetizers and main dishes to desserts and drinks. There are also vegetarian and gluten-free options available.

Are the ingredients used in "Hard to Be a Chef" recipes easy to find?

Yes, the ingredients used in "Hard to Be a Chef" recipes can be found at most grocery stores. They are also common and budget-friendly.

Is "Hard to Be a Chef" suitable for beginner cooks?

Yes, "Hard to Be a Chef" is great for beginner cooks as it includes step-by-step instructions and helpful tips for each recipe. The recipes are also designed to be simple and easy to follow.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• susanr613
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
BettieC
  • Trish in Texas
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lt1jane
Replies