• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dcb Cakes - to Cover or Not to Cover

In summary, the conversation is about a person's experience with making a microwave cake in the Deep Covered Baker (DCB). They mention that there are conflicting instructions about whether to cover the DCB or leave it uncovered, and they are seeking advice on which method works best. They also mention a specific recipe, the Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge (or w/o PB) Fudge, and how they cover the cake while cooking it and then remove the lid afterwards. Another person shares their experience of the cake exploding and causing burns, and they discuss possible reasons for this, such as using a mixer or too much frosting. They also mention using the Rice Cooker, which goes in uncovered, but it
BeckyC5830
.... that is the question. As I look through all of my recipes for microwave cakes in the DCB either it's unspecified whether to put the cover on the DCB, or says covered or uncovered. I'll find similar recipes and one will say covered the other say uncovered. Help! From your experiences what works best?

The only cakes I've made in the DCB are the Chocolate Peanut Butter (or w/o PB) Fudge (aka Choc. Lava Cake). For that one, I cover the cake. When it's done, I take it out of the microwave and remove the lid and let it sit uncovered for 15-20 minutes before serving.

i just made one of these for my party. i made it three times before but something went wrong this time when i took it out it actually exploded.the host kitchen was cover let me say it was a white kitchen. i recieved 2nd and 3rd degree burns to face and arms.has anyone else ever experience this would love to know what went wrong......this is the lava cake i am talking about.:(

janice moore said:
i just made one of these for my party. i made it three times before but something went wrong this time when i took it out it actually exploded.the host kitchen was cover let me say it was a white kitchen. i recieved 2nd and 3rd degree burns to face and arms.has anyone else ever experience this would love to know what went wrong......this is the lava cake i am talking about.:(

Was it the DCB that exploded or the cake?

yes it was did not hurt the dcb but the cake shot about 5 ft in the air and 5 ft across room went everywhere after i took lid of. i was shocked..

sorry i do not think i answer right it was the cake that exploded not dish,soon as i removed lid.

It should be UN covered even when you do the cake in the Rice cooker

omg my director said to cover it and i watch her do one and she kept hers cover i thought the recipe on the web site said to cover it to...maybe that the reason

janice moore said:
yes it was did not hurt the dcb but the cake shot about 5 ft in the air and 5 ft across room went everywhere after i took lid of. i was shocked..

How did you prepare it? Did you whisk it or use a mixer? I know it's not recommended to use a mixer because it puts too much air into the batter. How much frosting did you use? If you use the whole can, it will raise up and kind of boil over the edges of the baker. I've had that happen (didn't use the whole can, but I guess it was still too much) and it oozed all over the side of the baker and the turntable. Did the microwave have a turntable or did the DCB sit stationary? If it didn't have a turntable, it could be that the heat developed a really big "hot spot". How high a voltage was the microwave? Maybe it was just a really, really, high powered microwave? These are the only things I can think of that might have caused it. Or a combination of things.

chef131doreen said:
It should be UN covered even when you do the cake in the Rice cooker

janice moore said:
omg my director said to cover it and i watch her do one and she kept hers cover i thought the recipe on the web site said to cover it to...maybe that the reason

It's the Rice Cooker that she was saying goes in UNcovered, though. ;) I think I have heard some others not covering the DCB, but I think most of us cover it. In any case, it having the cover on wouldn't be the main reason why your cake exploded like that. They had to have been another reason...or a combination of things.

thanks i whisk it and i made three the same week and they where perfect i do not remember much because the kitchen was a mess took 2hrs to clean and i was burn really bad could not even finish party it exploded right in my face when i took off. idid get 3 booking off of it probably because they felt sorry for me. i will never do that recipe again scared of it lol

babywings76 said:
It's the Rice Cooker that she was saying goes in UNcovered, though. ;) I think I have heard some others not covering the DCB, but I think most of us cover it. In any case, it having the cover on wouldn't be the main reason why your cake exploded like that. They had to have been another reason...or a combination of things.

I ALWAYS cover both the rice cooker and the DCB and have never had any issues. I use about 1/2 a tub of frosting in it. But then I do the same cake in the fluted pan and that is never covered so I really don't think it matters.

well thanks guess i will never know.but one thing for sure i will always have permanent scars.so i definetly will do something else in the further. thanks for the information..

I would bet it had something to do with her microwave strength. But I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to touch it with a 10ft pole!I just asked my NED and she said 10 minutes covered, and she does them at all of her shows. I"m doing one on Saturday- but cautiously after Janice's experience!

lol i did do it ten minutes cover and i usually take it out and then do it one minute uncovered.yes be careful i do not wish this on anyone i got picture of her house and my burns to prove it..the hostress posted on her facebook page her pamperedchef party was a blasted.i got a lot of laugh out of it anyway and everyone helped clean it up and she was not upset at all.she booked another for the summer outside of course...

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Related to Dcb Cakes - to Cover or Not to Cover

1) Should I cover my DCB cakes while baking?

It is recommended to cover your DCB cakes while baking to trap in moisture and prevent the top from becoming too crispy.

2) Can I use a regular cake pan instead of a DCB?

While a regular cake pan can be used, the DCB's unique design helps distribute heat evenly for a more consistent bake.

3) Can I use the DCB to make savory dishes?

Yes, the DCB can be used for both sweet and savory dishes. Just make sure to thoroughly clean it between uses to avoid any flavor transfer.

4) How do I prevent my DCB cake from sticking to the pan?

To prevent sticking, lightly grease the DCB with oil or cooking spray before adding the batter. You can also sprinkle flour or cocoa powder on the greased pan for an extra layer of non-stick protection.

5) Can I use the DCB in the microwave?

Yes, the DCB is microwave-safe. However, it is important to follow the recommended cooking times and power levels for the specific recipe you are making.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • lovenpc
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies