• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Daughter Has Red Blotches All Over?

In summary, Dusty's 3-year-old daughter woke up with red spots on her arms, legs, stomach, and chest, which she calls her "pink polka dots." The spots have increased in number and size, and some have appeared on her face. They are slightly raised, but do not itch. She has had no other symptoms and is up to date on all immunizations. Dusty's other children do not have the rash. Suggestions from others include possible allergies, hives, Fifth's Disease, Roseola, hand-foot-mouth disease, scarlet fever, and various other rashes. Dusty plans to take her daughter to the doctor for a diagnosis.
sillylittlechef
My 3yr old woke up yesterday with red spots all over her arms, legs, stomach, and chest. She calls them her pink polk a dots. This morning she had lots more and now a couple on her face. They are slightly raised, but not chicken pox like. They do no itch. She has had no other symptoms. She is up to date on all immunizations. My 4yr old and 18month old do not have this (yet?) Any ideas on what it is?

Dusty,

Did you recently use a different detergent or soap? I've noticed this bothers my kids (who are very sensitive) - or even a different brand of sunscreen has caused my kids to break out where it was applied on them. A case of the hives/ (although I would think she would be itchy)

Hmmm...Maybe Fifth's Disease or Roseola?

Robin

Has she been running a fever at all?

chiggers or mosquitos maybe?

has she eaten alot of strawberries lately? my daughter gets a rash from fresh berries

Has it been hot where you are? My boy would get heat rash any time he was the least bit warm. It stopped when he was about 5.

Has she been exposed to the chicken pox? My son got them - even after vaccinations. The Dr. said that this is actually not uncommon, but they just aren't as bad if they've been immunized. He was never really sick - ran a slight fever for one day.

priscilla said:
Maybe Fifth's Disease or Roseola?

Robin

this is what my first thought was too. correct me if i am wrong but isn't the rash part of both these at the tail end of the virus? meaning that she should be feeling almost fine now?

Cocsaki (sp?) a.k.a. (something like) - hand,foot, mouth disease. ... It could be the same thing as 5th disease too? ... not sure about that one! My son had this and it's a virus and it just goes away with time, it's like a cold, just needs to run it's course! My doctor told me they get it from shopping carts and play areas.... etc.
This is my only guess... because hives and chicken pox are ITTTTCCCHHHY!!!:eek: .

Last edited:
Yes, my son had a virus that was about 3-4 days of fever and no other symptoms, when the fever quit, he woke up from a nap covered in red spots, just like polka dots!

reba515 said:
this is what my first thought was too. correct me if i am wrong but isn't the rash part of both these at the tail end of the virus? meaning that she should be feeling almost fine now?

Yes, but you may have missed the fever. Sometimes it is hard to tell w/my 3 y/o when he has a slighly elevated temp.

How is she feeling?

Robin

just a thought but my son had scarlet fever two times now..Once when he was 4 and then again about 1 1/2 years later....just developed this bumpy rash with no other symptoms...took him to the dr. then and they said, "oh, he has scarlet fever!" I about fell over! Then they said, " it's just an out of control case of strep!!!"
Some people are just more prone to strep and don't even show signs of being sick with it before it turns into scarlet fever...when treated it's fine...antibiotics

You can treat with some Benadryl, watch a fever and take her in to be sure. Rashes can be NUMEROUS things...

allergies
heat
roseola
hand, foot and mouth
chicken pox
measles
Poison Ivy/Oak

...shall I keep going?

The point is, we don't know what has happened, what it really looks like or what your daughter has been exposed too. Children's Benadryl and a dose of Tylenol (if she hurts or itches or has a fever) is pretty safe to give so keep her comfortable until you can take her to your doctor or clinic. Prevent the itching and fever...

...just my 2 cents worth... ;)

It isn't hand foot mouth disease. We have already had that and it doesn't look anything like it. Each day she has more spots. they are not all the same size some are tiny some are large and blend with other spots. I am taking her in today, but I had to convince the nurse that I really wanted to know what it is. It seems Dr.'s don't want to waste their time looking at a rash. They just want me to watch her until she acts sick then call them. I personally would rather know what it is. We have a cookout this week that she was really looking forward too, and already missed her vacation bible school program. I don't want her to have to miss out on anything if it is a non-contagious rash.
I get so frustrated with the nurses when they say well, just watch her and call us with any new changes. Ummm....new pink polk a dots on my childs body....seems kinda new to me!
So, we are going in at 11:30 today to find out if they know what she has.

sillylittlechef said:
It isn't hand foot mouth disease. We have already had that and it doesn't look anything like it. Each day she has more spots. they are not all the same size some are tiny some are large and blend with other spots. I am taking her in today, but I had to convince the nurse that I really wanted to know what it is. It seems Dr.'s don't want to waste their time looking at a rash. They just want me to watch her until she acts sick then call them. I personally would rather know what it is. We have a cookout this week that she was really looking forward too, and already missed her vacation bible school program. I don't want her to have to miss out on anything if it is a non-contagious rash.
I get so frustrated with the nurses when they say well, just watch her and call us with any new changes. Ummm....new pink polk a dots on my childs body....seems kinda new to me!
So, we are going in at 11:30 today to find out if they know what she has.

Good luck today - glad you got them to see her!
I have many friends who are nurses, but yes that can be frustrating. Just remind them, you are paying the bill and if you want your child to go to a doctor, you have that right! Personally, I'd rather pay a few bucks and be reassured it is nothing, than miss something major with my kids.

Also, then if the doctor confirms it is non-contagious, your kids can still play with friends and you can reassure them that you had it checked out.

Based on symptoms, she is possibly having a reaction to something...any new medicines or antibiotics about 2-3 weeks ago?

Once again, hope she gets better...not fun for kids to miss summer activities.

So, we went to see the Dr. and he says that this is a virus and this is just her body's way of handling it. She is not contagious so she can play with her friends and be her usual active self. He did prescribe a steriod cream, but I'm not sure of it's purpose. She is not itching. He just said it will help to insure that all the spots disappear.
I feel much better knowing that she is fine.
And...I didn't mean to complain about nurses or dr. in general. I have just been very unhappy with my current dr. office and haven't taken the time needed to find a more suitable place. SO...I have no room to complain, if I don't do anything to fix it myself.

sillylittlechef said:
So, we went to see the Dr. and he says that this is a virus and this is just her body's way of handling it. She is not contagious so she can play with her friends and be her usual active self. He did prescribe a steriod cream, but I'm not sure of it's purpose. She is not itching. He just said it will help to insure that all the spots disappear.
I feel much better knowing that she is fine.
And...I didn't mean to complain about nurses or dr. in general. I have just been very unhappy with my current dr. office and haven't taken the time needed to find a more suitable place. SO...I have no room to complain, if I don't do anything to fix it myself.

I personally didn't take offense to your complaints of them...I have the same issues here! I am an EMT but tend to be cautious (not paranoid, but cautious) with my own children.

At least you know what it is and can focus on her getting better.

I'm so happy it's a virus and not anything more serious! You know she will be fine and sometimes us Mommys just need that piece of mind!
I took my son to the doctor 3 weeks ago, he needed his vaccines too (he's going into 6th grade) but also I bumped up his appt a few weeks earlier because he had a bump a little smaller than a marble under his left nipple! He told me that it hurt and would I feel it and I got more concerned when he told me he had been feeling it and that it had really been bugging him for about 6 weeks!:eek: That freaked me out cause I'm a very involved Mom, meaning I try really hard not to be a freak about being overprotective but these are my kids and it's my job to make sure they are always fine!
When I took him in the doctor told me that in about 20% of all boys that this happens and it's just his glands being swollen and that it's a part of puberty and that boys that are advanced in puberty tend to get this. Well, my son is advanced, he has hair under his armpits and on his stomach and uhhh.... nevermind! His mustache is filling in too! But I had never heard of that before! The doctor told me that if Ryan is developing this fast to be prepared for my daughter to enter it even sooner! Oh joy! Lord help me, I'm not ready for this! Because I know my hubby is going to become ridiculously protective, like he isn't already?!:rolleyes:
Anyway, I'm just saying EVERYTHING you feel and posted were warranted and no one can take better care of their kids then a Mommy! And you sound like a great one!;) :)

ahh. Thank you so much Cathy.

Related to Daughter Has Red Blotches All Over?

What are some common causes of red blotches on a child's skin?

Red blotches on a child's skin can be caused by a variety of factors, including allergies, heat rash, viral infections, and insect bites. It is important to consult with a pediatrician to determine the specific cause and appropriate treatment.

What should I do if my child has red blotches all over her body?

If your child has red blotches all over her body, it is important to monitor her closely for any other symptoms. If the blotches are accompanied by fever, difficulty breathing, or other concerning symptoms, seek medical attention immediately. If the blotches are not accompanied by other symptoms, it may be helpful to keep the affected area clean and dry and use a cool compress to soothe any discomfort.

Can red blotches on my child's skin be a sign of a serious condition?

In some cases, red blotches on a child's skin can be a symptom of a more serious condition, such as scarlet fever or meningitis. It is important to consult with a doctor if the blotches are persistent, accompanied by other concerning symptoms, or appear suddenly and spread rapidly.

Are there any home remedies for red blotches on a child's skin?

While it is always best to consult with a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment, there are some home remedies that may provide relief for red blotches on a child's skin. These include using cool compresses, keeping the affected area clean and dry, and applying a gentle moisturizer. It is important to avoid harsh chemicals or irritants that may further aggravate the skin.

How can I prevent my child from getting red blotches on her skin?

To prevent red blotches on a child's skin, it is important to avoid known allergens or irritants, keep the skin clean and dry, and use sunscreen to protect against sunburn. It is also important to encourage children to avoid scratching or picking at any red blotches to prevent further irritation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
  • Cindycooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Gina M
  • whiteyteresa
  • General Chat
Replies