• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cutting Expenses for High-Volume Show Businesses

depending on the quantity I need. I have never used ink refills, but I have heard great things about them. I'm sure there must be other ways to save as well!Good job on growing your business!
Just looking for some ideas to cut down on expenses from those that hold a lot of shows. I have built my business from 4-6 shows a month to 8-13 a month. Which has increased my expenses for labels, ink, paper. I would love to know some of the ways you save on these expenses. I went from buying labels 1-2 times a year to every 2 months at $50 a pop. Right now I buy them from Staples in two sizes and they are $25 a box. My director said to try Sams Club. Also I have a Dell computer and I am using almost 1 ink cartridge every 6 weeks, also very expensive. Any ideas? anyone use the ink refill places?
Thanks for the ideas!

Print in draft mode. It not only uses less ink but prints faster. Shop around and look for discount 'clubs'. Staples has a frequent buyer program for businesses.. you present a card or a keychain fob with your barcode on it and you get a coupon back to spend on office supplies in the future. Also, take your ink cartridge back to Staples.. at least around here, you get $3 off your next ink cartridge that way (not for all brands, mind you. We have HP printers so this is a great way to recycle and 'get paid' for it). Keep receipts and remember, this is all a deduction in the end so even though there's an outlay of money now, there's a payoff/tax break at the end of the year.

Congrats on the growing business.
I would try Sam's or Costco.
Ebay is good for ordering a lot of supplies in bulk.
I have no idea where to get the ink cheaper.
My brother in law works for a computer sales company, and I get all my ink cartridges free from him.

Cincychef - I know exactly what you are talking about! In September, I went from 4-6 shows to 8-12 shows a month....and have continued that pace since.

Here are some things I've done to cut expenses:

I went back to using only the postcard invites from PC - everything else is just more money, and I didn't see any difference in attendance or sales by using other types of invites.

My outside order forms are just in B/W - I use the one chefann posted here.

I used to use my own Show Planner that I printed - but now I am back to using the one from PC - it's free!

I have also started using the Office Depot for ordering printing (like OOF's, Guest Care Cards, Host Letter, etc....) and supplies like labels.....great prices, and it's delivered to my door for free - so I save both time and money. (gas too!)

I used to buy alot of the ingredients for my shows - but I am back to having hosts buy the ingredients for me. I only bring things that are from PC, or any obscure ingredients where the host would have to buy a whole bottle or package, but only use a couple tablespoons.

I bought 2 pocket folders at Staples when they were like 2-5 cents each, and I use those for Host Packets. I give my hosts only 2 catalogs - and tell them to also keep their one from the show. Catalog shows get 4 catalogs.

I make a HUGE effort to book everyone I can at the show - so I don't have to mail host packets.

I stopped giving extra incentives for bookings - I just talk talk talk talk talk about how great our host program is.

I buy my ink cartridges at Office Max - and get $3 back for each cartridge I bring in for recycling. Every 5th cartridge ends up being free!

Okay - when I think of more things I've done, I'll post them!

Hae you used the Office Max or the Office Depot discount card that PC provides for us? I know many times I have gone to office max and saved a ton when they scan my card.

also, could you print on your postcards/ invites so you are not using labels? Or get a stamp with your information for the back of your catalog?

Just a few suggesstions. :chef:

Also...is an expense up front, but a LASER printer costs WAY less per sheet when you figure it out.

The Office Max card we have through Pampered Perks will help you get labels at a much cheaper cost.

I have found that Costco has amazing prices for labels, envelopes, pens, binders, inserts, and even stamps (you actually save the price of one stamp woohoo)! Currently, I do the majority of my printing at office depot at .03 a bw copy it just seems worth it. However, I did just get a new printer and am going to price out whether it is better to print at home or at office depot.I did a google search for best price on my ink cartridge and found that I can get my cartridge, normally $15 at regular stores, for under $4!! so just look around. :DSome of the sites I found (this link will take you to my cartridge for the Epson CX5000, but you can look around from there)Cx5000 cartridges for $5.95 eachhttp://www.ink4ever.com/styluscx5000.htmlfor $4.99CompAndSave - Get Desktop Laptops Computers Servers Monitors LCD Printer Ink CartridgeWOW! and for an average of $3.99 (in 8packs and 12 packs)http://www.ezitem123.com/index.php?cPath=4800_4811_5784_6056Finally, a big thing that have done to dramatically reduce cost is to use a recyclable host packet - that has been wonderful, especially when I can book at the show and hand it to them there. HTH

Last edited:
Here's what I recently done.....I started doing all my copies through office Depot (Thanks to Deb for making me aware) 3 cents black and white. I can not buy paper and print for that cheap and they ship it for free!!! It's one of our perks.....

Next on the label thing, Paulette reitroduced me to Vista Print. I just received 420 labels already printed for $5.23. They are printed in color, and it costs less than buying labels and does not cover ink costs.

Here is my referral linkhttp://www.vistaprint.com/frf?frf=156791127881

pamperedalf said:
Next on the label thing, Paulette reitroduced me to Vista Print. I just received 420 labels already printed for $5.23. They are printed in color, and it costs less than buying labels and does not cover ink costs.

Here is my referral linkhttp://www.vistaprint.com/frf?frf=156791127881

How do you get this refferal #?

Amanda,What labels do you print in advance? That's a great deal, but the main thing I use labels for is when I print the show information on the invitations.

So, speaking of the Office Depot great deals, is there an OOF that can be used from month to month? Although it is really convenient to have the order forms with the guest specials on them, I carry order forms and host packets around in my car and do not always remember to switch order forms out at the end of the month.Plus, I am all about making things easy, and would much rather order 100 OOFs from Office Depot that I can use until they are gone than order 50 a month to have the current guest specials on them... Am I making it too complicated? TIA!

I run the PC invites thru my printer. Was a huge savaings on labels!

Here is a sample..

It does take a little fidjiting to get them lined up right but once you do it is great.
When you go to print just click on print page 1 vs. print all and I do draft or 1 step above on preferences.

Attachments

• Post Card Show Info-Invites Basic2.doc
    25 KB · Views: 381
Here is the one I use. I also got tired of changing them. :chef:

Attachments

• Plain Order Form.doc
    151 KB · Views: 354
jbachen said:
So, speaking of the Office Depot great deals, is there an OOF that can be used from month to month? Although it is really convenient to have the order forms with the guest specials on them, I carry order forms and host packets around in my car and do not always remember to switch order forms out at the end of the month.

Plus, I am all about making things easy, and would much rather order 100 OOFs from Office Depot that I can use until they are gone than order 50 a month to have the current guest specials on them... Am I making it too complicated? TIA!

oooooohhhhh.... I never thought of doing that with the OOf from here! Such a great idea!!!

Here is the OOF I use -

I just ordered another 100 copies from Office Depot - I love doing that!

Attachments

• OOF - any.doc
    97.5 KB · Views: 339
How do you get this refferal #?
It was when I checked out the other day, I just went and looked and you can get it under help to get there.
Amanda,What labels do you print in advance? That's a great deal, but the main thing I use labels for is when I print the show information on the invitations.
I had 420 return address labels printed & 420 Name, phone #, website printed & 420 labels for my invites that say Unable to Attend, place an order or book a show either will help your host reach their goal, then my contact info. (Now granted I placed 3 orders in a week period to take advantage of free stuff)
For example I place an order for biz cards, labels free stamp, free pen, free, post it. Next order another free stamp, labels, post it notes, free pen. Last order another stamp for deposites, labels, anything free I could get. The labels that I print for show invitations I still do at home, but my costs have come down because of the other labels.Oh also anyone who has united airline miles, if you go through the united mall and click vista print through there you can earn 9miles for every 2 spent. So I just earned 450 miles for stuff I needed anyways. Also if you shop at any safeway chains you can earn air miles just for grocery shopping. I am all about free airfare when I can get it.

pamperedalf said:
Oh also anyone who has united airline miles, if you go through the united mall and click vista print through there you can earn 9miles for every 2 spent. So I just earned 450 miles for stuff I needed anyways. Also if you shop at any safeway chains you can earn air miles just for grocery shopping. I am all about free airfare when I can get it.

Thanks for the tip about the airline miles! :chef:

I just wanted to add that I buy my labels from The Dollar Store (I don't know if you have one near you though). They are $1 for 450 labels!!! I also return my ink cartridges to Staples and get $3 back for each one. Some Wal-Marts also offer this savings also!

jbachen said:
So, speaking of the Office Depot great deals, is there an OOF that can be used from month to month? Although it is really convenient to have the order forms with the guest specials on them, I carry order forms and host packets around in my car and do not always remember to switch order forms out at the end of the month.

Plus, I am all about making things easy, and would much rather order 100 OOFs from Office Depot that I can use until they are gone than order 50 a month to have the current guest specials on them... Am I making it too complicated? TIA!
Here's what I use - not only can I use it all the time but I can print 2 per page and save on paper!

Attachments

• Outside Order Form Generic - 2 per page.doc
    59.5 KB · Views: 413
I use a generic OOF I found here that has 2 forms per sheet. They are smaller but I get twice as many.

I have also started using Office Depot for printing things I use a lot of. It is way more cost effective than doing it at home.

I have a Dell too; recently started getting my cartridges re-filled at Walgreens. $10 for black ink; $15 for color. I've had good luck with that so far. (knock on wood)

lacychef said:
I have a Dell too; recently started getting my cartridges re-filled at Walgreens. $10 for black ink; $15 for color. I've had good luck with that so far. (knock on wood)
Thank you . I was wondering if anyone had done this. Thanks for all the great tips. I am going to look into Office Depot and Office Max. There is not one near me, but I didn't know they did free shipping.

cincychef said:
Thank you . I was wondering if anyone had done this. Thanks for all the great tips. I am going to look into Office Depot and Office Max. There is not one near me, but I didn't know they did free shipping.

Sign up for Office Depot through the Pampered Perks link on CC.....Deb Jennings has a thread on here about how to get started with printing - you just send your files that you wanted printed and they are delivered to your door!

I get my ink refilled at Walgreens and they are $10 for Black and $15 for color.. Works nicely..

If you have a Walgreens near you, they are refilling ink cartridges for FREE on Wednesday.

Does it matter what type of ink cartridge you have?

I don't think so. Call the 1 hour photo department at the store. I think they list the cartridges they fill online too.

I watch for sales at Office Max or Depot many times they run sales for labels and cases of paper buy 1 get 1 free.
I prefer Avery labels #5160 I think it has 3,000 labels which lasts me forever and I use tons of labels plus I'm sure I've never paid $50 a box. What kind do you use?I tried the labels from Dollar Tree and they kept coming off during printing and sticking to the inside of my copier. Not cool, so I now only use those for labeling stones if I have a show shipped to me to keep from ripping the bags.

Thanks to everyone who shared their OOF's! I just also wanted to let everyone know, I ordered copies through Office Depot the other day, and it was a two per sheet document, and they cut them in half for me!! I didn't even ask for that! I was so excited that they saved me so much work!!

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Di_Can_Cook said:
If you have a Walgreens near you, they are refilling ink cartridges for FREE on Wednesday.

Is there a limit? I have a whole bag full.

quiverfull7 said:
Is there a limit? I have a whole bag full.

You can only do one refill Diane - you can print off a coupon at Walgreens.com.

Okay - I have a couple questions about refills.

Do they really work as well? I guess I've fallen for the info with my printer that says to only use HP cartridges, and not to use refills, because they could ruin my printer....is this a possibility - or is it HP's way of making sure I buy only the branded cartridges?

And - do refills last as long as the original cartridge?

Okay... for those of you who have posted that you are using a generic OOF... I'm VERY interested... do you feel that not having the monthly specials listed on it has impacted sales on those outside orders at all? I would LOVE to not have to pull out unused OOF's from my host packets and waste those copies so I am eager to hear if you think it has any impact to have them specifically for each month... I'm guessing not since you are doing it that way but I'd love to hear specifics. TIA

quiverfull7 said:
Okay... for those of you who have posted that you are using a generic OOF... I'm VERY interested... do you feel that not having the monthly specials listed on it has impacted sales on those outside orders at all? I would LOVE to not have to pull out unused OOF's from my host packets and waste those copies so I am eager to hear if you think it has any impact to have them specifically for each month... I'm guessing not since you are doing it that way but I'd love to hear specifics. TIA

Diane - I give a guest special flyer to my host, and then I coach her to tell people about the guest special. That works well! When I am talking to my host in host coaching calls, I will ask about outside orders, and if any are close to the $60 mark - I encourage her to let those people know again how close they are.

I love being able to make up a ton of host packets at one time, and not having to re-do them every month. Plus, if a host has to reschedule from one month to the next, it doesn't involve a ton of extra paper!

SUPER! I'm going to give this a shot! Thanks so much!

bought a laser printer from recoupit.com
LOVE IT!!

1. How can I reduce my expenses for labels?

One option is to buy labels in bulk from a place like Sam's Club or a wholesale office supply store. You can also consider switching to a generic brand of labels, as they are often cheaper than name brand labels. Another idea is to look into online printing services, as they may offer better deals on bulk orders.

2. What are some ways to save on ink expenses?

You can try using a refillable ink cartridge instead of constantly buying new ones. These are often cheaper in the long run and can be refilled multiple times. Another option is to use a laser printer, as they typically use less ink and have a lower cost per page compared to inkjet printers.

3. How can I reduce my paper expenses?

Consider switching to a digital system for storing and organizing customer information and orders. This will eliminate the need for paper and ink altogether. You can also look into buying paper in bulk or from a wholesale supplier for a lower cost per sheet.

4. Are there any other expenses I should be aware of and how can I cut them down?

Aside from labels, ink, and paper, you should also keep an eye on other expenses such as shipping costs, packaging materials, and advertising. To cut down on shipping costs, consider using a shipping service like UPS or FedEx instead of the post office. You can also try negotiating better rates with your suppliers, or looking for alternative, cheaper options for packaging materials.

5. Have you tried using ink refill places and are they worth it?

It really depends on the quality of the refill and the specific printer model. Some people have had success with ink refill places, while others have had issues with the quality and consistency of the ink. It may be worth trying out a refill place to see if it works for you, but make sure to do some research and read reviews before choosing one.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • NooraK
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
nikked
  • yummybytes