• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Curious-Mexican Chicken Lasagna-What Do You Think?

In summary, according to the friend who made the recipe, she disliked it because it had a lot of enchilada sauce and she preferred the green sauce. There are several variations that can be made with the recipe including a vegetarian version and one that uses chicken and onions instead of beef.
smart2cook
Gold Member
I received the most interesting phone call last night from a friend whom said she made this in her DCB and disliked it immensely?! I personally haven't tried it yet so thought I would throw it out there to see if any of you have tweaked this recipe? She's a really good cook so I was actually a bit stunned. LOL. I told her I would go out here and see if my pals have tweaked it somehow or how the general consensus feels about this recipe.

what did she dislike about it? If she didn't like the enchilada sauce, then it kills the whole thing. She might try a different brand.

That is it exactly-the enchilada sauce!

I prefer the green enchilada sauce to the red. I don't think the red has a lot of flavor and I like the extra kick of the green. Since my kids don't like green food all that much, I always top it off with red. Just for the red effect. Try that, maybe?

Thanks for that idea!

I am soooooooo sad! I have only had 2 shows so far! Just qualified last week! and I have 2 shows scheduled for next week and just got an email that my DCB is on backorder! Ugh! I am so upset! I keep telling everyone how awesome it is...but its hard to sell it when I don't have it.....and now I have to wait for it :(

I also prefer the green enchhilada sauce with it. I also made a vegetarian version with sauteed mushrooms & spinach.

abigailhutch said:
I am soooooooo sad! I have only had 2 shows so far! Just qualified last week! and I have 2 shows scheduled for next week and just got an email that my DCB is on backorder! Ugh! I am so upset! I keep telling everyone how awesome it is...but its hard to sell it when I don't have it.....and now I have to wait for it :(

They are shipping them pretty fast. Some of my hosts have gotten them within a couple days of the rest of the order. I would use the backorder as a selling point - say it's so incredible, everyone wants one, and PC is having a hard time keeping them in stock!

cookinfletch said:
I also prefer the green enchhilada sauce with it. I also made a vegetarian version with sauteed mushrooms & spinach.

Yummmm!!!!
I never thought about making it with spinach and mushrooms, but that sounds really good!!!

Personally, I don't like it with the red sauce at all. I will only make it with the green sauce and I LOVE it that way!!!

If someone isn't familiar with the taste of enchilada sauce I usually don't use the entire about called for. I found the taste is overwhelming. I think the cream cheese mixture could easily be double for those of us who don't like the enchilada sauce taste. MORE CHEESE FOR ME ANYTIME!

ChefBeckyD said:
They are shipping them pretty fast. Some of my hosts have gotten them within a couple days of the rest of the order. I would use the backorder as a selling point - say it's so incredible, everyone wants one, and PC is having a hard time keeping them in stock!

Great idea Becky!!!! Thanks! I will definitely use that as a selling point!

Oh, another thing I do is not use the entire 28oz of enchilada sauce. For me, it's just too much. Also, I've never found a 28oz can. So, I buy three 10oz cans and use two full ones and only a tiny bit from the third can.

I don't put cilantro in it either. I did a few times at first, and I like it, but some people don't. I like it best w/ the green enchilada sauce. I couldn't find the green kind at my store the other day, so just last night when I made this I had to use the red kind. It still tasted pretty good. I also don't use the full amount the recipe calls for. I can't find cans that big. So I big a big can and a small can and don't use all of it.I also cook the chicken in the DCB sprinkled w/ the Chipotle Rub and microwave it. Then I use the food chopper on it and the onions. I mix the chicken and onions together because it makes it so much easier when you are assembling it.I add more cheese and serve it with sour cream.

babywings76 said:
I also cook the chicken in the DCB sprinkled w/ the Chipotle Rub and microwave it. Then I use the food chopper on it and the onions. I mix the chicken and onions together because it makes it so much easier when you are assembling it.
I add more cheese and serve it with sour cream.

GREAT tip!!!

babywings76 said:
I don't put cilantro in it either. I did a few times at first, and I like it, but some people don't. I like it best w/ the green enchilada sauce. I couldn't find the green kind at my store the other day, so just last night when I made this I had to use the red kind. It still tasted pretty good. I also don't use the full amount the recipe calls for. I can't find cans that big. So I big a big can and a small can and don't use all of it.

I also cook the chicken in the DCB sprinkled w/ the Chipotle Rub and microwave it. Then I use the food chopper on it and the onions. I mix the chicken and onions together because it makes it so much easier when you are assembling it.

I add more cheese and serve it with sour cream.

The first time I made it I used about half the cilantro it calls for (we are not cilantro fans if it's overwhelming) and we didn't care for the recipe. The second time I made it I followed the directions exactly and it is a new favorite around here.

It is all about the taste and I agree that the enchalada sauce taste is key. I usually don't care for it either but we do use the red and the full amount and for us this recipe is a winner just the way it is.

My husband doesn't like it with the red sauce, but he loves it with the green sauce.

No she's not crazy...I've made it 3 times, changed the sauce, changed the tortillas and my family and I hated it each time.

abigailhutch said:

at our Spring Launch, David Meenan talked about how he sells tons of DCBs and never brings it to his shows. You have to paint a word picture.

DebbieJ said:
at our Spring Launch, David Meenan talked about how he sells tons of DCBs and never brings it to his shows. You have to paint a word picture.

So true. I have sold them at lots of parties just by talking about them.

In the S/B Fall/Winter 09 it has a Cook's Tip:
If desired, 1 bottle medium salsa (22 oz) combined with 1/2 cup water can be substituted for the enchilada sauce.
I did this and it was soo YUMMO!! Much better then any of the Enchilada sauces.

I also took x3 chicken breasts, brushed with Garlic-Infused Canola Oil, little Southwestern S. and Chipotle Rub placed in DCB and lid on - micro for 10 min. I did this right before guests were scheduled to arrive. Then I had them chop it up with the Salad Choppers.

I also used corn tortillas as recipe calls. Which I liked better then the flour..but some people like the taste of the flour instead.

Also try the Mexican Lasagna with ground Beef, it is so yummy.... and helps blend off some of the enchilada sauce.

Can't get Enchilada sauce OR corn tortillas here. Not at 5 different main chain grocery stores and not within 2 hours of here. So we tried them with the flour tortillas and the salsa/water mix and my daughter and I thought they were disgusting! It's a texture thing. I made them a second time for my DH and DS and tried one bite...not happening. The salsa, cheese and cream cheese combo reminds me of the layered dip we have with nacho chips and it's not supposed to be hot so I can't get past it...ewww

This recipe is so good that my husband goes back for seconds, and looks forward to the night we have it for a repeat meal. I use mild salsa rather than the enchilada sauces.
When I used Medium, it had such a HOT KICK, it was like fire. I blamed the cilantro which I had no experience with, and took it to a Cluster meeting. We all decided it was the Medium Salsa that was so overpowering. This recipe is well worth a second try, with the MILD salsa. All the other suggestions are good ones, too.

I use the make ahead ground beef from the power cooking recipes and Flour tortillias YUM!!! This is what I use for Enchilada sauce. It is sooooo much better than canned!
I use 1 can of broth even though it is a bit less than the recipe calls for. This way the sauce is a bit thicker and I use all of it.Also I use the make ahead ground beef from the power cooking recipes and Flour tortillias YUM!!! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/easy-enchilada-sauce-recipe/index.html * 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 tablespoon flour
* 1/4 cup chili powder
* 2 cups chicken stock
* 10 ounces tomato paste
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon saltDirectionsIn a medium saucepan heat oil, add flour, smoothing and stirring with a wooden spoon. Cook for 1 minute. Add chili powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add stock, tomato paste, oregano, and cumin. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. The sauce will thicken and smooth out. Adjust the seasonings. Serve atop your favorite enchiladas.

I have done this recipe at about 50% of my shows since it was put into the SB. HUGE hit for me, baker is my best selling product and I do 10+ shows a month. The recipe sells the baker. I cut the amount of sauce and increase the amount of shredded cheese. Also I saute the onions before adding them to the mixture.

I have found that if I cut the enchilada sauce with stokes green chili (can get it red with pork or without so no one will know you are using green chili) that helps with the enchilada sauce. Also not a fan cilantro and have always used oregano in my Mexican food instead of cilantro. Don't know if that will help, but thought I would give my suggestions. Good luck.

What ingredients are needed for the Curious-Mexican Chicken Lasagna?

The ingredients for this dish include chicken breasts, lasagna noodles, Mexican blend cheese, salsa, black beans, corn, cream cheese, and taco seasoning.

Can this recipe be made in advance and frozen for later use?

Yes, this dish can be assembled and then frozen for later use. Just make sure to thaw it before baking.

What is the recommended serving size for this dish?

The recommended serving size is 1-2 squares of lasagna, depending on appetite.

Can I substitute the chicken for another type of protein?

Yes, you can substitute the chicken for ground beef, ground turkey, or even shredded pork.

Is this dish spicy?

This dish has a mild level of spice, but you can adjust the amount of salsa and taco seasoning to make it more or less spicy according to your preference.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefJoyJ
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
crystalscookingnow
  • kmom820
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
kmom820
Replies